Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, the first time I watched the '97 anime, I got to the end and was confused as gently caress.

On a whim, I put the first disc back in because I was so confused and was hoping there would be some answers or . . . something?

And, oh yeah - going into the series completely cold with the '97 anime and rewatching the first episode after the complete mindfuck that was the last episode, that paid off in spades. Just so incredibly well done, with the hushed references to "It all went to poo poo when Griffith became king" "SHUT UP, someone might hear you!"; the missing eye, the bigger sword . . . everything just kinda fell into place.

Just absolute :discourse:

Yeah, you can tell that the animation was done on a shoestring budget but if you're gonna cut corners, you can do a HELL of a lot worse than coloring Muira's work and slow-panning across it with some well-done voice acting, music, and sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

So the 2016 anime is a disaster in most respects then, good to know. Out of curiosity though, how much of the manga does it actually cover and is anything cut or changed like was the case in the 90’s series?

The 2016 one covers the Conviction Arc, sans the Lost Children chapter (95 to 117) because...well. You'll see. It's a shame though because it plays an important part in Guts' character growth.

The 2017 anime covers the first half of the Falcon of the Millenium Arc. Something around 177 to 226.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you miss the 97 dub voice cast, they're in the movie trilogy. I believe the whole thing is available to watch on Netflix right now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm just going to leave these songs from a heavy metal band called Beast in Black that made a whole drat album inspired by Berserk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlAZj5iDc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOupfOJI6PY

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

The 2016 one covers the Conviction Arc, sans the Lost Children chapter (95 to 117) because...well. You'll see. It's a shame though because it plays an important part in Guts' character growth.

The 2017 anime covers the first half of the Falcon of the Millenium Arc. Something around 177 to 226.

Wait, there was a third anime? Was that any better than the previous one?

For that matter, how many animes has Berserk had in that case?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 2017 anime is just the second part of the 2016 anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was more like a second season of the 2016 one and nope

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-14s-naoki-yoshida-on-the-death-of-berserk-creator-kentaro-miura-its-unfathomable/

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Larryb posted:

Wait, there was a third anime? Was that any better than the previous one?

For that matter, how many animes has Berserk had in that case?

It was a trilogy, imo the CGI stuff is only really kinda jarring in the first film. The third film is really about as good as Miura's art may ever get animated and the CGI stuff is much better integrated and you don't notice as much as they switch between models.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It was a trilogy, imo the CGI stuff is only really kinda jarring in the first film. The third film is really about as good as Miura's art may ever get animated and the CGI stuff is much better integrated and you don't notice as much as they switch between models.

I agree on this and I particularly really liked the 2nd movie. The only issue I had with the 3rd movie is that either the 3D models or the color palette they chose made it look too pretty, I guess? Like I think that the rough artstyle of the 97' anime really worked in it's favour for the depiction of the Eclipse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Ah, so it was a set of movies rather than an actual series then

With the series likely dead along with its author at this point I’m curious whether or not we’ll get any more animated Berserk content in the future then.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

DrSunshine posted:

I'm just going to leave these songs from a heavy metal band called Beast in Black that made a whole drat album inspired by Berserk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlAZj5iDc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOupfOJI6PY

The Lead Guitarist was in the band Battle Beast before he formed Beast in Black, he wrote a lot of songs about Beserk there too. Personally I suspect he was forced out because they got tired of doing songs about Beserk. That's just speculation on my part however.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

lezard_valeth posted:

I agree on this and I particularly really liked the 2nd movie. The only issue I had with the 3rd movie is that either the 3D models or the color palette they chose made it look too pretty, I guess? Like I think that the rough artstyle of the 97' anime really worked in it's favour for the depiction of the Eclipse.

As a teenager getting to the eclipse was some real mind gently caress blown out your head poo poo to see in a series that was already p graphic. So I get what you mean.

I think the whole movie trilogy gets this shine up where the character models are more as they are later in the series, than as they were, which does make it feel a bit prettier.

I'll be honest if this is all the story, I think the chances it gets adapted into more animation is p high. It's not like the IP value just evaporated with his death. You know exactly what there is to work with and you could probably do some more film sets like the Golden Age bunch.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah the 3rd movie is gorgeous, but hard agree on the art style of the eclipse not quite nailing it. The faded blue color grading of the eclipse in the movie aims for a more gloomy, eerie look, than the outright hellish madness and chaos of the bright blood-red that the 97 anime uses. The movie also gives the eclipse a sense of clear and defined geometry/space, with its overview shot of the sharp 3d scene. Whereas both the manga and the 97 anime has it twisting and bending dreamily between shots, most notably with the sky of screaming faces being intentionally all over the place between shots, making sense of direction and spatial awareness much harder to understand, which really works in the scene's favour.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was at an anime convention years ago and they were showing the first two movies, and a friend of mine tagged along because he'd never read or watched Berserk. When it got a bit into the Griffith and Charlotte sex scene I remarked "oh wow they're really animating the whole thing, huh?" and he just turned and gave me the biggest :smugjones: I think I ever saw out of him.

I actually thought the movies were fine aesthetically but he just absolutely could not get over the more low effort CG shots.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For cg at the time it’s pretty high effort but Maya is not the best for cel shaded work and it still wasn’t good enough to cover for the transitions between 2d and 3D. Nowadays a studio like Orange or Mappa could nail it.

I really don’t see a point in adapting it anymore though. The series is over. It will continue to sell as a legacy IP on the strength of certain arcs and the overall artwork but there’s no true conclusion coming. Even if Miura left notes and his assistants complete it, I can’t say what they make will feel of a piece with the series as it currently stands.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2021

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's been like 36 hours now and I'm still not quite grasping the scale of the talent that is now gone from the art world

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It's been like 36 hours now and I'm still not quite grasping the scale of the talent that is now gone from the art world

I've personally re-read the posts breaking the news in this thread a dozen times over because even when I feel that I've internalized and accepted it, my brain just refuses to believe the implications. I would never have expected this kind of response if somebody'd told me this would happen back in April. Realizing and appreciating just what kind of a once-in-a-generation talent we're talking about here just makes that dichotomy all the more difficult to reconcile.

God drat this stupid universe.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zarin posted:

Yeah, the first time I watched the '97 anime, I got to the end and was confused as gently caress.

On a whim, I put the first disc back in because I was so confused and was hoping there would be some answers or . . . something?

And, oh yeah - going into the series completely cold with the '97 anime and rewatching the first episode after the complete mindfuck that was the last episode, that paid off in spades. Just so incredibly well done, with the hushed references to "It all went to poo poo when Griffith became king" "SHUT UP, someone might hear you!"; the missing eye, the bigger sword . . . everything just kinda fell into place.
Berserk was the first manga I bought precisely because of this. I was right back on the first episode immediately looking for what I had forgotten, then watched the whole thing through again to tease out all the nuances. It's one of the best examples of hook-line-sinker I've ever had the pleasure to get caught on.

Then after watching it thru twice, and the first episode one more time, I was on abebooks dropping $15 each as soon as the volumes were available.

I was running some of the wider spreads on my big tv this afternoon. I teared up a bit when I saw Guts and Griffith at the tree, and when I saw Zodd guarding against SK.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Really heartbreaking stuff. I only read all of Berserk starting last year so it's all really fresh for me. I gotta say I definitely agree with what people have said in that in glad it was able to reach a point where Guts and friends actually seemed content for once even if that's probably not a "realistic" end for a setting as bleak as Berserk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Whenever Puck is not on page making a funny face, I am asking where Puck is.

E: Oh no, it's the famous lippy egg. I know enough that these things are bad news.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2021

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's funny cause I remember thinking "I feel like Guts not needing revenge against Griffith at this point is the best way it could end" even if that feels like a bit of a cop out. I feel like it would erk Griffith extremely on some level if Guts was able to find peace in a way that had nothing to do with Griffith and just basically says "I don't care about you anymore, your ambition is meaningless to me I'm just going to chill and relax in fairy land with people I actually enjoy"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's funny cause I remember thinking "I feel like Guts not needing revenge against Griffith at this point is the best way it could end" even if that feels like a bit of a cop out. I feel like it would erk Griffith extremely on some level if Guts was able to find peace in a way that had nothing to do with Griffith and just basically says "I don't care about you anymore, your ambition is meaningless to me I'm just going to chill and relax in fairy land with people I actually enjoy"

In a way that’s what Guts should do. On the other hand the world needs to be fixed one way or another so I was guessing Griffith would start some poo poo that would pull Guts back into the conflict.

We’ll never know now though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ccs posted:

In a way that’s what Guts should do. On the other hand the world needs to be fixed one way or another so I was guessing Griffith would start some poo poo that would pull Guts back into the conflict.

We’ll never know now though.

That's what I think the story would've gone. Guts would still kill Griffith, but not out of personal revenge but because Griffith was a threat to the world and needed to be stopped/justice for the Hawks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, just now I thought the best way a final confrontation between Guts and Griffith would end with just Guts giving him a solid hook to the jaw and then just walking away. No words no fight just a good smack than turning his back and walking away.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popo posted:

Lost MF DOOM earlier this year (technically late last year but...)

What the gently caress how did I miss this?!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah, just now I thought the best way a final confrontation between Guts and Griffith would end with just Guts giving him a solid hook to the jaw and then just walking away. No words no fight just a good smack than turning his back and walking away.

What? Griffith is a literal demon from hell

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

This is mostly similar to what I assumed was gonna happen. Guts has lost his appetite for vengeance and that's good. Griffith probably provokes him somehow but I don't think Guts ends up killing him. I assumed it was gonna be someone like Rick finishing the job.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And if you don't mind something more brutal, Brand of Sacrifice also exists and will hit you right where you like your technical death/metalcore preferences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaNNjCujXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUfvMviwiao

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, with the Guts' character arc him being the one to finish off Griffith would feel anticlimactic somehow. Ironically the reason why I think Rickert would have been the one to kill Griffith is for the exact same reason why Guts' said he couldn't come with him. "You couldn't truly hate Griffith." Rickert made his little graveyard, shed his tears, moved on and found a reason to keep living. For hom killing Griffith isn't about revenge, it's about protecting himself and Erica.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was torn between the predictable happening of Griffith attacking Elfheim and forcing Guts and co to flee, or Guts rationalizing his revenge by deciding Casca is finally safe and his presence only makes her suffer, so he sneaks off with SK and kicks off a journey by everybody he left behind to reunite with him.

Even before Miura's death (and now even more) this little bit in particular really struck a chord:

Guts had accomplished everything he set out to do, but it didn't bring him peace. It seemed like he was ready to fall right back into revenge, but then we got SK's backstory driving home "all that mindless revenge will destroy is yourself" to him. We'll probably never know so maybe I'm way off base, but it really does feel like this was building to a pretty critical choice for Guts, and either way he chose the consequences would kick off the endgame.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

From the last few chapters, I assumed that Guts was going to be pulled back into seeking his revenge because after his long journey to restore Casca, he still can't really face her without triggering her psychologically. He was clearly heartbroken to see that she was still suffering when they interacted. My prediction was that he was going to say gently caress it and go let Griffith taste some iron since he couldn't do anything more for Casca on the island and at least revenge is still a reason to swing his sword. Maybe the Moonlight Boy was going to reveal something important to Guts about Griffith's intentions and influence him. I assumed/hoped Casca would still get involved in the final Griffith/Guts encounter and finally overcome her trauma to be with Guts even if someone else would be the one to kill Griffith. Berserk just isn't a story where I can imagine Guts living at the end but at least living longer than Griffith and dying peacefully with a fully-restored Casca there to comfort him.[

That said, I agree with everyone that if it has to end like this then at least Guts and company are all in a good place even if it's a little like purgatory.

I am still very sad for Miura and his family-- aeortic dissection is just such a brutal way to go. :(

Eleanor Pwnsevelt fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 22, 2021

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wow.

You know, I thought I'd made peace with this possibility a long time ago, but it still feels unreal. I remember reading Berserk back in college, at my roommate's suggestion. Since then I've always tried to keep up with it in one form or another, waiting awhile then reading several chapters. Something in the backdrop, though it does keep me out of the loop.

May 6th, man. That's right after Golden Week.

Stay golden, Miura. Everyone, take care of yourselves.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is the Berserk Warriors game any good?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pretty fun, I just wish it would ever go on sale or dip in price, like more than a couple KT games.

One of the only things that sucks is I don't know it's only japan or if it's like the asian-region in general game, but the japanese version got censored dismemberment and overall gore, while the western version had some censored titty in cutscenes.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh nooooo, now the forum will turn against Studio Gaga...

https://twitter.com/go_kohske/status/1395860747381481473?s=19

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Everything in that tweet is true and boy let me tell you about low-income and readers of scanlations....

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think it's within the grasp of your typical manga enjoyer to either eradicate scanlations (How would you even...?) OR get publishers to come out with English editions of manga (Because if that was possible, I would've had Ippo and Kengan come out in English by now)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"If it is not published in the language you are looking for, request to publisher in that country."

I mean I really wish that worked, even for a lot of bigger series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like everyone else here I've pirated Berserk content before, but that's also what motivated me to buy the huge tome-like Deluxe Editions as they come out in the U.S. so I don't exactly feel very guilty about it.