Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Viridiant posted:

Is the Berserk Warriors game any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny6gcK47SXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, there we go. A manga that is literally as old as I am, same month and year and everything, chugged in two days. It feels strange that I only really am getting to it now, since I have the aforementioned odd connection to it and it being one of the first manga I was ever really aware of, but its long running status just kept me from poking at it outside of catching the movies and old TV series. But no more excuses now I guess.

I gotta say, despite everything I've heard saying that I'd hate X or Y character, I really can't think of anyone in the main cast I truly hated. Obviously from the main characters I was aware of, I liked them a lot, but Farnese, Isma, and Sonia ended up as surprising standouts on the front of characters I didn't know going in. Farnese's arc being incredibly good and the other two just being fun and goofy when onscreen was always appreciated.

It feels weird just leaving it here. Yeah, I know it ended at about the best place it possibly could and all but man. I know I definitely cried my fair share of times reading through it. Strangely enough, even if nothing will ever come of the main story going forward, I do wish I could at least know a bit more about the larger cosmology of the world. Little stuff like the old godhand or branded city just pokes at a certain kind of curiosity I have for little background elements.

In the end though, I'm super grateful for Miura. I haven't read anything quite like this before, and I probably will never again. I'm gonna miss it bad.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there's one main character i hated

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eej posted:

Oh nooooo, now the forum will turn against Studio Gaga...

https://twitter.com/go_kohske/status/1395860747381481473?s=19

There are no lies detected and anyone who disagrees or pushes back on this is in the wrong.
That being said, scanlations will never be eradicated and people will always read them and then claim they're the creators biggest supporters.

I'm guilty of this and I reckon most people here are too.

I try to buy official releases of products from reputable sellers of all the series I love, which is why I have Berserk Deluxe, Berserk Figmas etc. I'm not saying this to be holier than thou, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while and I want to give back to the people who give everything to their works.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah, support stuff when you can, I just wish it was more directly possible a lot of the time than it is because like, keeping up with a bunch of stuff via scans that aren't always the best or translated the best isn't the best, but I also have no access to the mags they're in and/or a ton of stuff is practically never going to be published around here.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

In a way that’s what Guts should do. On the other hand the world needs to be fixed one way or another so I was guessing Griffith would start some poo poo that would pull Guts back into the conflict.

We’ll never know now though.

Isn't that the difference between them though? Griffith would sacrifice everything to change the world and Guts literally just wanted a place to belong and be with people he loved and who loved him, even if he was incapable of expressing that desire. He and Griffith achieved that together but Griffith can never be satisfied and he doesn't understand how to achieve the relatively simple level of happiness Guts can reach because it's just not something on his radar. Guts has never known peace, and Griffith knew Guts' ultimate goal of peace and acceptance without having to struggle so massively for it to the point that he had to go insanely beyond the level to emulate it to even attempt to grasp it.

Guts didn't ask for or emulate hardship. Griffith brought all the hardship on himself and his allies in a vain attempt to emulate Guts, and he'll never be able to actually match Guts regardless of how awful he is because he doesn't understand what sacrifice means

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 22, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Isn't that the difference between them though? Griffith would sacrifice everything to change the world and Guts literally just wanted a place to belong and be with people he loved and who loved him, even if he was incapable of expressing that desire. He and Griffith achieved that together but Griffith can never be satisfied and he doesn't understand how to achieve the relatively simple level of happiness Guts can reach because it's just not something on his radar. Guts has never known peace, and Griffith knew Guts' ultimate goal of peace and acceptance without having to struggle so massively for it to the point that he had to go insanely beyond the level to emulate it to even attempt to grasp it.

Guts didn't ask for or emulate hardship. Griffith brought all the hardship on himself and his allies in a vain attempt to emulate Guts, and he'll never be able to actually match Guts regardless of how awful he is because he doesn't understand what sacrifice means

Guts living out his retirement in a walled garden as the rest of the world turns to hell would be a really bleak ending though, like great for him that he's found some peace and Griffith privately sucks but is still the king of the world when everyone else is fleeing from the rape trolls.

In my mind their ideologies were going to have to come into direct conflict again for whatever reason, Griffith's false utopia built on the inflicting of unimaginable cruelties against the rest of the world being torn down by by the avatar of human perseverance basically writes itself

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know you're right. I already said it wouldn't actually fit the theme you monster. 🥺

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Falconia was definitely going to be the second fallen city, it was just a matter of finding the right trigger and deciding if the godhand would go back to existing only in their plane or be removed as no longer necessary to humanity. The "expected" outcome would be the infinite loop, godhand mostly destroyed with one new head character waiting for the first eclipse, but I don't know that Miura would have been so boring. (We also don't know all the rules, so it's an interesting exercise to ponder how the newVoid would end up being Guts, or Casca, or quasi-psychic girl, or the newly-married princess.)

I'd be okay with them publishing Miuras unused notes, but has any interview ever revealed that he actually had anything written down? I'd think endgame and continuity would be something you'd document, not that it's immutable but to help ensure arcs don't deviate so far that you suddenly can't finish the story because a character disappeared.

(Haven't started my reread just yet. Hazy from vaccine for a few days here, so it would be an injustice to just flip through without fully appreciating it.)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, support stuff when you can, I just wish it was more directly possible a lot of the time than it is because like, keeping up with a bunch of stuff via scans that aren't always the best or translated the best isn't the best, but I also have no access to the mags they're in and/or a ton of stuff is practically never going to be published around here.

Hopefully this will get better as digital manga continues to grow, and Shueisha seems to be doing a pretty good job with the stuff that's on the Jump app and on Mangaplus, but there still seems to be a fair bit of nonsense in the manga publishing scene. Consider for a second how Viz seems to be in absolutely no hurry to do any Jojo comics until the anime adaptations are already complete. These comics are 20 years old! They probably know full drat well the anime are coming! Unless Araki was being 110% serious about "gently caress an English release" then I have no idea what the bloody holdup is

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

At least in the case of JoJo a large part's always been the spectre of american copyright laying in wait but yeah.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ccs posted:

In a way that’s what Guts should do. On the other hand the world needs to be fixed one way or another so I was guessing Griffith would start some poo poo that would pull Guts back into the conflict.

We’ll never know now though.

I don't the the world was going to be fixed.

Taking am educated guess, Griffith would send Sonia and some War Demons snd either Zodd or Grubled maybe both to burn down Elfheim. He wouldn't go himself since as we've seen since the golden age he wouldn't do anything that make him look like the Big drat Hero unless he can't delegate and genocide is pretty hinky. Guts and friends would escape with some of the witches and magical creatures back onto the boat, possibly Sonia would flip too. Something unexpected would happen that would cause Griffith to just freak out and cause his hero facade to crack to the public. Griffith would then begin spiraling out of control culminating in him sacrificing Falconia to gain more or retain control. Rickert would kill him, but it would be too late and Falconia would be no more. Sometime later Guts, his companions, and the survivors of Elfheim return to the mainland and find everything devastated. Eventually coming across a settlement of survivors, they are mistrustful of Guts and the rest, but thanks to Magnifico's negotiations and a convenient monster attack, they agree to let Guts and his cohort stay in exchange for teaching them how to survive in this new world.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's funny cause I remember thinking "I feel like Guts not needing revenge against Griffith at this point is the best way it could end" even if that feels like a bit of a cop out. I feel like it would erk Griffith extremely on some level if Guts was able to find peace in a way that had nothing to do with Griffith and just basically says "I don't care about you anymore, your ambition is meaningless to me I'm just going to chill and relax in fairy land with people I actually enjoy"

Ironically, that would probably piss Griffith off. He’s a narcissist that desperately needs to be the center of attention.

I felt like Rickerts telling Griffith to gently caress off really got to him. He played it cool, but it seemed like it really stung.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 22, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think The Slap would have ended up being one of the pivotal events of the plot, it's literally the first thing to go against Griffith since his reincarnation and the first chip in the facade of Falconia, definitely one of those ripples the Godhand didn't see coming

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

Ironically, that would probably piss Griffith off. He’s a narcissist that desperately needs to be the center of attention.

I felt like Rickerts telling Griffith to gently caress off really got to him. He played it cool, but it seemed like it really stung.
Well of course it did. He "played it cool' in that he didn't immediately murder him but Rickert and his band or supporters were pretty much immediately assaulted and almost killed. Griffith didn't just let him go, he allowed his followers to attempt to kill him while pretending to ignore the insult. Griffith was still a bitch.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Meh! I wasn't a lost sale, I was a pending sale way down the road. Though the payout from my digital purchases are probably a pittance :cry:
Hell, I only learned about Berserk from downloading encodes of random fansubs I found on IRC in the days of yore.

Anyway, I obviously agree about supporting it when you can afford to.

Speaking of Jojo, there's now a metric ton of it on the Shonen Jump subscription (I think to the end of Diamond). I should start reading that since to date I've only read up to part of Pillar Men.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey the lippy egg got blood on it and now it's screaming and there's an MC Escher drawing I don't think that's good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey the lippy egg got blood on it and now it's screaming and there's an MC Escher drawing I don't think that's good.

Everything will be just fine.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Put your glasses on, nothing will go wrong.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
I'm so glad I have y'all during tough times like this <3

so put your grasses on, nothing wil be wong
dere's no brame, dere's no fame,
it's up to you~~~

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!

Viridiant posted:

Is the Berserk Warriors game any good?

There's some jank, but I enjoy it. My only real complaint is the Femto boss fight; it's an exercise in agony and I'd rather they didn't include it. The Endless Eclipse mode is one of my favorite ways to just turn off my brain for a while if I have nothing else going on. I wish there was an expansion that added some more characters to play as, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hopefully this will get better as digital manga continues to grow, and Shueisha seems to be doing a pretty good job with the stuff that's on the Jump app and on Mangaplus, but there still seems to be a fair bit of nonsense in the manga publishing scene. Consider for a second how Viz seems to be in absolutely no hurry to do any Jojo comics until the anime adaptations are already complete. These comics are 20 years old! They probably know full drat well the anime are coming! Unless Araki was being 110% serious about "gently caress an English release" then I have no idea what the bloody holdup is

Not having the rights to part 4 until a couple years ago and having to layout the volumes as they're going (pt 1-3 are just the JoJonium collections) didn't help, neither did rereleasing the first three parts. It's been releasing on a normal schedule though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I made a few Berserk amvs over the years, though YouTube took down my most popular one, I guess the amount of views made it come to the attention of their copyright algorithms. I lost the password and email to this account a while back so I can’t rescue it, but whatevs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YJajy5lIByQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGO69OhV6g

This one is the oldest and kind of embarrassing. Ah well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2X2CId8H0

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josh Christ posted:

Not having the rights to part 4 until a couple years ago and having to layout the volumes as they're going (pt 1-3 are just the JoJonium collections) didn't help, neither did rereleasing the first three parts. It's been releasing on a normal schedule though.

Golden Wind physical releases start in August, so it really is trucking along.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Golden Wind physical releases start in August, so it really is trucking along.

Considering they started with pt 1 like...six years ago? Yeah, it's been a fairly consistent quarterly release, especially considering all the hurdles to get here. Viz has a lot of issues but this isnt one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I want you to know I'm living for this

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

multijoe posted:

Guts living out his retirement in a walled garden as the rest of the world turns to hell would be a really bleak ending though, like great for him that he's found some peace and Griffith privately sucks but is still the king of the world when everyone else is fleeing from the rape trolls.

In my mind their ideologies were going to have to come into direct conflict again for whatever reason, Griffith's false utopia built on the inflicting of unimaginable cruelties against the rest of the world being torn down by by the avatar of human perseverance basically writes itself

Defeating griffith and fixing the world coming down to the next generation (schierke and rickert et al) is what makes the most sense to me, moreso than guts being the one to do it personally

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

Defeating griffith and fixing the world coming down to the next generation (schierke and rickert et al) is what makes the most sense to me, moreso than guts being the one to do it personally

Rickert's cool and sincerely owns for giving Griffith the business but there's precisely one human we've seen on the face of the planet who even has the means of harming the Godhand, like if they threw down for real what could Rickert ever do against Femto?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

I can't see Guts being able to defeat Griffith or any of the God Hand, the difference in power is just too vast. What's interesting is we saw in Skullies flashback that most of the God Hand have been replaced, which corks open a whole lot of interesting questions for the ending, is it possible to kill them? Or do one of them get replaced every 200 years considering that's how often the eclipse happens?

What's frustrating about the Berserk ending possibilities is that it just doesn't seem possible to defeat the series villains, the God Hand are gods and have Akira levels of power, and even if they were defeated there is the metaphysical Idea of Evil entity there to guarantee whatever you achieve will only be short term. So why bother defeating them in the first place? It seems like the best Guts could hope to achieve by sword swinging is defeat the earthly version of Griffith, but then there is still Femto. The only viable goal would be undoing the demon invasion of earth.

So it seems much more reasonable for the ending to be about personal goals for the characters, and acceptance of the way things are while still struggling to improve them.

My personal ending theory is what someone mentioned earlier, that Guts will cause Griffith's downfall by simply moving on with his life - just like when he defeated him in sword battle when he left the Band of the Hawk. The only thing that ever distracted Griffith from his dream was Guts, and I think that even as a god who has achieved all his dreams, Griffith's narcissism won't be able to handle Guts ceasing to care about him, and he'll do exactly what he did last time - lash out, take stupid decisions, destroy his dream over a personal vendetta. The pivotal scene that sets this up is the battle on the Hill of Swords after the Tower of Conviction arc, where Griffith seems to take great pleasure in Guts' rage, and dropping in just to say hi and trying to prove the point that he doesn't care about Guts anymore. Guts growing as a person and Griffith still being stuck playing with toy knights is what will constitute victory.

I don't see Griffith doing another sacrifice to grow in power because it doesn't make sense, he is already a god. However, the slug count did call on the God Hand when at death's door to save his life, so perhaps that's a reasonable final climax - Griffith is wounded, summons the god hand and tries to sacrifice Falconia to save his own skin.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 22, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

multijoe posted:

Rickert's cool and sincerely owns for giving Griffith the business but there's precisely one human we've seen on the face of the planet who even has the means of harming the Godhand, like if they threw down for real what could Rickert ever do against Femto?

The fantasy nuke Skull Knight inadvertently set off resulted in a confluence of planes. The God Hand exist in the physical realm now, at least partially, and are theoretically vulnerable. Beyond that it's just a question of "can the underdog win?"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Having only read a bit of the manga after previously( I think stopped reading around Volume 16), I took this opportunity to reread and finish it. Honestly I wish I could have read a bit more previously, because then I would have realized it wasn't really for me.

It's not like it's bad or anything it's just that the flashback Golden Age stuff had a certain tone that didn't really exist in the rest. And that flashback being so long meant that I forgot the early chapters with Puck and thought that tone was the one the entire work was going for. It's not like it didn't have levity or humor, but it wasn't so consistently wacky in a dissonant way as the later chapters. And then it gets worse when the kid who likes spying on women bathing and flipping their skirts shows up. Also doesn't help that Casca spends a majority of the story as a non-character.

I'm not sad I spent the time reading it, but looking back there's way less of the stuff I Iiked wholeheartedly than I thought it would be, especially compared to the feelings I had about it before going back and finishing it. It's also been really interesting to read it back in retrospect and see where other people ripped it off completely, and more kindly were inspired by it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't the the world was going to be fixed.

Taking am educated guess, Griffith would send Sonia and some War Demons snd either Zodd or Grubled maybe both to burn down Elfheim. He wouldn't go himself since as we've seen since the golden age he wouldn't do anything that make him look like the Big drat Hero unless he can't delegate and genocide is pretty hinky. Guts and friends would escape with some of the witches and magical creatures back onto the boat, possibly Sonia would flip too. Something unexpected would happen that would cause Griffith to just freak out and cause his hero facade to crack to the public. Griffith would then begin spiraling out of control culminating in him sacrificing Falconia to gain more or retain control. Rickert would kill him, but it would be too late and Falconia would be no more. Sometime later Guts, his companions, and the survivors of Elfheim return to the mainland and find everything devastated. Eventually coming across a settlement of survivors, they are mistrustful of Guts and the rest, but thanks to Magnifico's negotiations and a convenient monster attack, they agree to let Guts and his cohort stay in exchange for teaching them how to survive in this new world.

Honestly I think it would be more interesting if Griffith did try and send an invasion into Elfheim but it ends up getting totally stomped, and now he's gone and pissed off the one other place in the world that can match up with Falconia in terms of having magical poo poo at their command

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I think it would be more interesting if Griffith did try and send an invasion into Elfheim but it ends up getting totally stomped, and now he's gone and pissed off the one other place in the world that can match up with Falconia in terms of having magical poo poo at their command

It would be pretty entertaining to see all these silly creatures in Elfheim go absolutely beast mode.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

atelier morgan posted:

There being some kind of magic undo button that fixes the world wouldn't really fit woth the story. I mean take a look at Casca, they managed to magic up a way to fixed her mind but still the underlying trauma is still there and she still has quite a ways to go before she's okay. I doubt killing Griffith or any kind of other magical fix would unfuck the world either, instead I think people would just have to learn how not just to survive but actually carry on and live in this new broken world.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Didn't they say at some point that time passes differently on Elf Island? I sort of figured a middle aged Rickert / Silat combo would show up randomly asking for Guts and Casca to come help them with some form of resistance, then they all get a final boon from the Elves that makes them feel like they have a chance.

The other obvious thing that needed an answer was the activation of Guts' behelit - he's had that thing since the first arc and I always figured the big finale would have to involve its finally coming alive and giving Guts a choice, then Guts has to contend with the Berserk Armor trying to influence him towards a path of violence and ambition. Either that or we get like Apostle Casca or something.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I feel like whatever the next big escalation was going to be, it would have involved the Behelit's that Guts' been carrying around since forever. As I was re-reading the series, I noticed that when Isidro was introduced there was a lot of emphasis put on that he was an ambitious kid and had grand Ambitions, so I always figured he would somehow end up using it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I always figured the Behelit was an "access the God Hand" button Miura built in if/when he wanted to wrap things up fast.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lucasar posted:

Didn't they say at some point that time passes differently on Elf Island? I sort of figured a middle aged Rickert / Silat combo would show up randomly asking for Guts and Casca to come help them with some form of resistance, then they all get a final boon from the Elves that makes them feel like they have a chance.

The other obvious thing that needed an answer was the activation of Guts' behelit - he's had that thing since the first arc and I always figured the big finale would have to involve its finally coming alive and giving Guts a choice, then Guts has to contend with the Berserk Armor trying to influence him towards a path of violence and ambition. Either that or we get like Apostle Casca or something.

We've already seen cautionary tales of using the Behelit or Berserker Armour with Zod and Skull Knight, I'd imagined Guts' endgame would have been surpassing his predecessors and finding a way forward without sacrificing his humanity. Fittingly enough the only magical artifact that doesn't carry a terrible cost is the one Guts made himself - the Dragon Slayer

David D. Davidson posted:

There being some kind of magic undo button that fixes the world wouldn't really fit woth the story. I mean take a look at Casca, they managed to magic up a way to fixed her mind but still the underlying trauma is still there and she still has quite a ways to go before she's okay. I doubt killing Griffith or any kind of other magical fix would unfuck the world either, instead I think people would just have to learn how not just to survive but actually carry on and live in this new broken world.

Fantasia only exists because of that friggin tree. Kill. The. Tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really don't think any of "the crew" would use Becchi. One of them might face a temptation, but I don't think they'd end up doing it.