Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, yeah. I throw my gloves inside my helmet and they both go on my shoe rack/cabinet on a soft towel. I haven't figured out how to feel comfortable hanging it up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

right arm posted:

I just bought an arai xd4 and am very excited :D

Good lid, I love mine.

What graphics/colour did you get?

Martytoof posted:

Phew, yeah. I throw my gloves inside my helmet and they both go on my shoe rack/cabinet on a soft towel. I haven't figured out how to feel comfortable hanging it up yet.

It’s not a good idea to store your gloves in your helmet. They pick up oils, road grime, fuels and other solvents that can accelerate the degradation of your helmets EPS.

(Apparently. I always get a telling off when I’m the moto gear shop for doing it)

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 22, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's actually a really good point I never considered. It's always just been an easy storage spot for me but I'll just lay them down next to the helmet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I wouldn't rule out anything based on my impressions TBH. If you were looking at the airwave it's probably still a good jacket for the price, it just feels suspect to me (personally). I'd wait until GP Bikes or something is open for walk-ins again and try things on for feel. Hopefully they are available again next month.
No, it's more like I wasn't even thinking about gear til I saw your post, looked at the jacket, then wondered if Alpinestars had anything similar, and next thing you know I'm window shopping on my drat phone which is a pain in the rear end and yet I keep doin it lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Stick around to the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8MALEJCHg

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This says the RF1400 has MIPS, and I can see the layer right there, but Shoei don't advertise this feature anywhere on their site, and Shoei isn't listed on MIPS' website as a partner manufacturer. In fact it's really difficult to find out generally whether any given helmet has it or not, without having it in my hands to look under the padding.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot posted:

This says the RF1400 has MIPS, and I can see the layer right there, but Shoei don't advertise this feature anywhere on their site, and Shoei isn't listed on MIPS' website as a partner manufacturer. In fact it's really difficult to find out generally whether any given helmet has it or not, without having it in my hands to look under the padding.

The MIPS Helmet wasnt the SHOEI I thought?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I prefer my helmets to be CISC architecture

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SEKCobra posted:

The MIPS Helmet wasnt the SHOEI I thought?

Watching it again you're right, I got confused because he segues from talking about the features of the Shoei directly into talking about MIPS without naming the second helmet (at least until much later in the segment)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

I just bought an arai xd4 and am very excited :D

if it's largely unchanged from the XD3, and I think it is, you should like it pretty well. It probably won't breathe as well as a dedicated dirt helmet though

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Good lid, I love mine.

What graphics/colour did you get?

frost orange of course :D

gotta match

Jazzzzz posted:

if it's largely unchanged from the XD3, and I think it is, you should like it pretty well. It probably won't breathe as well as a dedicated dirt helmet though

ya I think they just updated some poo poo to pass the snell m2020 rating, but I'm coming from using a scorpion AT950 or bell eliminator for the past 4yr or so, so I think I will be quite happy with this one! hopefully someday they'll make a koroyd helmet, but idk, the scorpion is old enough and has taken enough hits from branches and poo poo that it's time to replace it now and not in 6mo. if klim had their krios pro in not 2021 / 2022 KTM colors I would've gotten it, but I do not care for bare carbon fiber all much :shrug:

that being said, I am keeping the scorpion for winter use only since I can run a heated visor and breath box on it ez pz and the bell for my gf since that'll keep her from smashing the visor into the back of my helmet lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

frost orange of course :D

gotta match

You know this is an illness right

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So?

Black gear is like a silver car. Too loving common.

That and nobody is gonna see you regardless of color sooo

Might as well match. Nobody gives a gently caress anyway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
All those color combinations look good and teasteful

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I do :D

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just went to throw on my helmet for a quick grocery run and when I tipped it over I got covered in swamp water :gonk:

I really need to find a place to hang my helmet that isn't upside down, directly beneath the coat rail. Especially when I come back from a 3 hour ride in the rain.

these guys are always at bike shows and their stuff looks really good quality.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I was looking into buying a summer riding jacket (icon mesh af) and I liked the look of the black and white one, but then I started thinking about how easily it would get dirty and how often I'd have to clean it.

Would I regret buying a white textile jacket? There's a gray version of this jacket too, and my current gray jacket doesn't look like it's picked up any dirt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

I was looking into buying a summer riding jacket (icon mesh af) and I liked the look of the black and white one, but then I started thinking about how easily it would get dirty and how often I'd have to clean it.

Would I regret buying a white textile jacket? There's a gray version of this jacket too, and my current gray jacket doesn't look like it's picked up any dirt.

It'll get filthy but the great thing about textile gear is you can just throw it in the washing machine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You'll probably never get it as clean as new, but yeah, textile stuff is easy to clean. I toss my pants and jacket in the tub with some detergent at the end of the season.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
re: CE

loving the new AAA-AA-A-B-C system

I haven't dived into the way they test it, but at least there are unelected, anonymous bureaucrats in Brussels testing gear for abrasion resistance in a lab.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as you know your white gear will only ever be white when you buy it and after that will always be some form of off-white beige-ish, then you’re good

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Greg12 posted:

re: CE

loving the new AAA-AA-A-B-C system

I haven't dived into the way they test it, but at least there are unelected, anonymous bureaucrats in Brussels testing gear for abrasion resistance in a lab.

The tests are either done by manufacturers or third party labs. I don't know which it is for these products, but usually when someone wants to bring something to market in the EU that is questionable, they just find a lab in a less scrupolus member state and get it approved there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As long as you know your white gear will only ever be white when you buy it and after that will always be some form of off-white beige-ish, then you’re good
Yeah I'm fine with it. The light grey is also a fine option for summer gear.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.vikingcycle.com/products/viking-cycle-warlock-silver-motorcycle-mesh-jacket-for-men

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-R...21788977&sr=8-4

I got a HJC RPHA 90S helmet. Originally wasn't looking at modular helmets but it happened and I am actually really happy with it.

Leather riding boots and gloves.

I might "downgrade" the boots to some sort of reinforced riding high top sneaker with ratchets.

I'm guessing this stuff is going to protect me better than shorts and a t-shirt which my friends are all using.

Heat is a serious problem for me. But also I didn't want to spend a ton on gear I might not like.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wear proper boots.

Your ankles are fragile and full of tiny bones that get hosed up in ways that are hard to fix and there's no reason to risk walking with a weird limp for the rest of your days post crash if you don't have to.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Wear proper boots.

Your ankles are fragile and full of tiny bones that get hosed up in ways that are hard to fix and there's no reason to risk walking with a weird limp for the rest of your days post crash if you don't have to.

This. I've run two pair of Sidi CF2s for the last several years and rolling close to 100k-mi. They've protected my feet/ankles from countless injuries that'd need extensive surgery/recovery otherwise.

In '15 or so I got pinned under the klr on a steep rutted out downhill section. Spun my right foot and boot around backwards. Didn't blow the ligaments in my knee but I was unable to lift the bike off my leg. I was riding with others which helped get the loving thing off of me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Do they make proper riding boots that are vented? Mine are like solid leather and half calf height. I got them as they were required for the motorcycle safety class.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just look for the vented version of any of the big names

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-plus-v2-vented-boots

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do they make proper riding boots that are vented? Mine are like solid leather and half calf height. I got them as they were required for the motorcycle safety class.

I bought those vented SMX6v2s and they are really nice. It's been in the 90s and my feet are comfortable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've had several versions of Alpinestar vented boots and they are really nice. Untuck your feet for a moment and enjoy some cooler air inside the shoe, even on the hottest of days. The downside is that when you get caught in the rain, expect a boot full of water

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And if you ride with them when it gets colder just wear wool hiking socks (works for me LA, probably not ideal in colder climates)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ya before I got my Klims those were some excellent boots for sure. wish the Klims breathed better, but goretex is only so good at that

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What do yall do to help keep stink down on/in your gear? I've been hanging my jacket, pants and boots outside after I come back from a ride for a few hours. Any other tricks?

Also tried wearing some yoga pants under my leather pants and I'm not sure if the wicking helped with the heat, it was near 100 degrees. But definitely helped with the knee armor digging into my knee caps.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I wash it lol

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Russian Bear posted:

What do yall do to help keep stink down on/in your gear? I've been hanging my jacket, pants and boots outside after I come back from a ride for a few hours. Any other tricks?

Also tried wearing some yoga pants under my leather pants and I'm not sure if the wicking helped with the heat, it was near 100 degrees. But definitely helped with the knee armor digging into my knee caps.
I finally bought a helmet liner a couple years ago and that's helped a lot to keep headsweat out of the helmet pads, because I hate washing helmet pads. I got one of these which don't seem to be available any more, but I'm sure there is something else similar around: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-coolr-helmet-liner?sku_id=1298282

I also got upsold on one of these while in one of the Cycle Gear stores, seems a little snake-oily but it smells nice: https://www.cyclegear.com/helmets/molecule-helmet-refresh-spray?sku_id=1563175

For other gear, base layers help keep the sweat off, but you're gonna sweat no matter what, I'm lazy but try to take all the armor out of my gear and run it through a gentle cycle every year or so at least. I'm totally not ready for summer to be here already, pretty soon the only riding I'll be doing is if I haul myself out of bed at 5 or 6 for short trips that will have me back before noon.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I finally bought a helmet liner a couple years ago and that's helped a lot to keep headsweat out of the helmet pads, because I hate washing helmet pads. I got one of these which don't seem to be available any more, but I'm sure there is something else similar around: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-coolr-helmet-liner?sku_id=1298282

I also got upsold on one of these while in one of the Cycle Gear stores, seems a little snake-oily but it smells nice: https://www.cyclegear.com/helmets/molecule-helmet-refresh-spray?sku_id=1563175

For other gear, base layers help keep the sweat off, but you're gonna sweat no matter what, I'm lazy but try to take all the armor out of my gear and run it through a gentle cycle every year or so at least. I'm totally not ready for summer to be here already, pretty soon the only riding I'll be doing is if I haul myself out of bed at 5 or 6 for short trips that will have me back before noon.

Good call, totally forgot the helmet.

I think today was the first triple digit day, but THE HEAT is here:

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 29, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I always wear lycra underneath no matter what. That seems to prevent stink. After 4 years of riding and sweating in my 'good' leather Rev'it suit i can tell it smells like me, but it's definitely not rank/ripe/nasty. Somehow it doesn't pick up much smell.
Neither do my boots. Sidi claims they have some kind of silver treatment and it seems to work well, because while my army boots smell like a dank cellar after a day of walking in them, my riding boots smell oddly fresh. Pure magic.

But in my experience, if you do have trouble with it, it doesn't do much harm to rinse out a leather suit once a year or so. I've done that with my second hand suits, and it didn't seem to harm them as long as you dry them quickly and completely (so do it on a dry warm day).
If you feel the need to do it more often, then get them to a professional cleaner, because allegedly soaking leather multiple times a year is not a great plan for longevity.

I also do my gloves. The nastiness that resides in them after a year of riding is best not seen, but i'd rather confront it and get rid of it lol.

Side note: the temperatures you show mean that riding in leather is close to impossible. On the highway at a continuous high speed, you'll be uncomfortable but fine.
However, as soon as you crawl through a city with a hot engine between your legs, things genuinely start getting dangerous. You need abrasion resistant mesh clothes for that (and those can just be machine washed on delicate/synthetics)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My brother has a pair of rukka goretex gloves that gets a nasty funk, to the level that your hands smells like gym socks afterwards. Normal washing didn't remove it properly.
Solution was brewers sanitizer https://www.amazon.com/Star-San-B0064O7YFA-San-32/dp/B0064O7YFA?th=1 normally diluted and good manual machine wash in a lidded bucket.
Rinsed it in water after 15min of soak.
Didn't harm the gore Tex membrane and the leather.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I always wear lycra underneath no matter what. That seems to prevent stink. After 4 years of riding and sweating in my 'good' leather Rev'it suit i can tell it smells like me, but it's definitely not rank/ripe/nasty. Somehow it doesn't pick up much smell.
Neither do my boots. Sidi claims they have some kind of silver treatment and it seems to work well, because while my army boots smell like a dank cellar after a day of walking in them, my riding boots smell oddly fresh. Pure magic.

But in my experience, if you do have trouble with it, it doesn't do much harm to rinse out a leather suit once a year or so. I've done that with my second hand suits, and it didn't seem to harm them as long as you dry them quickly and completely (so do it on a dry warm day).
If you feel the need to do it more often, then get them to a professional cleaner, because allegedly soaking leather multiple times a year is not a great plan for longevity.

I also do my gloves. The nastiness that resides in them after a year of riding is best not seen, but i'd rather confront it and get rid of it lol.

Side note: the temperatures you show mean that riding in leather is close to impossible. On the highway at a continuous high speed, you'll be uncomfortable but fine.
However, as soon as you crawl through a city with a hot engine between your legs, things genuinely start getting dangerous. You need abrasion resistant mesh clothes for that (and those can just be machine washed on delicate/synthetics)

You can wash leather down as often as you want *as long as you then make sure to condition it* with Renapur or something similar, but like you say that sort of temperature - unless you're constantly at high speed - just isn't leather weather. My BKS two-piece has lycra panels in the major stink zones that help keep everything fresh but even then 20 minutes in traffic (even with filtering) starts getting dangerous once the air temp is getting close to body temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

LimaBiker posted:

I don't get this. I wear leathers year round (I don't have anything else of note to wear), and I live in a sub-tropical city where the weather tops at anything between 35c/100% humidity and 45c/0% humidity.

Is it nice being soaking wet after half my rides? Absolutely not. Is it fun sitting in traffic when it's that hot? Absolutely not. Is it entirely doable for anything that does leave you stationary for more than 30 mins at a time, or if you didn't start your ride seriously dehydrated? Absolutely. Basically as long as you aren't an idiot then there's no problem.

On the flip side are there better things to wear in that weather? Absolutely yes, but leathers aren't some sort of death sentence.