Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Mister Facetious posted:

You're probably applying too much pressure. Paper towel doesn't really hold together on anything but an already smooth surface, like glass or formica.

Well, I feel like a complete dolt. This completely fixed the issue. I have extra virgin olive oil and vegetable oil. Which of these would make for a better coat in between uses? I've read that grapeseed is the way to go, but I don't want to necessarily buy it if the other ones will do just fine.

VVV So, vegetable oil should be fine?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don't waste olive oil on it. I just rub mine down with generic canola after washing, it's fine.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I think olive oil might actually be the worst one to use, isn't it? I vaguely remember something about how its low smoke point is bad in this context.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Higher smoke point oils are generally recommended for seasoning. I don't know how much difference smoke point really makes, but I do know good olive oil is pricy and using it to season a pan would be a huge waste.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I have also read that cast iron users should prefer oils mostly comprised of unsaturated fats. I just use canola oil.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Someone did a long, ridiculously well-researched article that went deep into the science of different types of oils and their different smoke points and polymerization, plus what types of oils stand to make a harder polymer more resistant to kitchen utensils. I wish I could find the loving article, it was really science-y and in-depth but basically he said when starting from a stripped pan, the first couple of layers should be an oil that polymerizes harder to have a strong base coat and the rest could be whatever

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there a good recipie for onion rings that doesn't involve beer batter? There used to be a restaurant near me that did amazing things with buttermilk and breadcrumbs.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

life is killing me posted:

Someone did a long, ridiculously well-researched article that went deep into the science of different types of oils and their different smoke points and polymerization, plus what types of oils stand to make a harder polymer more resistant to kitchen utensils. I wish I could find the loving article, it was really science-y and in-depth but basically he said when starting from a stripped pan, the first couple of layers should be an oil that polymerizes harder to have a strong base coat and the rest could be whatever

Is it this?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i have maybe two cups of coconut milk leftover from making thai-adjacent curry (they only had the large containers when i was at the store). other than just More Curry what are some of your preferred things to do with coconut milk?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can use it in sweet soups like butternut squash soup.

Alternatively you can use it in fruit smoothies as a thickener and sweetener.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Coconut milk and banana tapioca pudding. Tapioca's hard to find right now though.

https://www.hungryhuy.com/vietnamese-banana-coconut-tapioca-dessert-che-chuoi/

or you can make coconut sticky rice with mango (or whatever fruit)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah that’s the one! For some reason my memory told me it was a dude but it obviously wasn’t so I never would have found it, or would have but not realized. It’s a good article.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

angerbeet posted:

or you can make coconut sticky rice with mango (or whatever fruit)

fuckin this

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

fuckin this

Recipe rec?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chard posted:

i have maybe two cups of coconut milk leftover from making thai-adjacent curry (they only had the large containers when i was at the store). other than just More Curry what are some of your preferred things to do with coconut milk?

make some Thai peanut sauce, it lasts for a while in the fridge.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BraveUlysses posted:

make some Thai peanut sauce, it lasts for a while in the fridge.

And according to someone's (can't remember who's) Thai mama, you can switch out lime juice for apple cider vinegar, and palm sugar for whatever sugar you have, probably something brown. It was an awesome article because it switched out weird outsider purism for insider practicality.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
probably this recipe

https://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html

also it yields a lottttt so maybe scale it down

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I have a recipe that calls for one 15-oz can of crushed tomato. In my pantry I have a 15-oz can of diced tomato. Can I crush them by hand as I would whole tomato or would the ratio of fruit to fluid come out too fucky?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That'll be brand dependent. The calcium whatever that keeps diced diced in long cooks would be the bigger concern.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a recipe that calls for one 15-oz can of crushed tomato. In my pantry I have a 15-oz can of diced tomato. Can I crush them by hand as I would whole tomato or would the ratio of fruit to fluid come out too fucky?

if I were you and buying a different 15 oz. can of tomato product is in any way in convenient, I would just use it — especially if you can blend/crush it yourself. Maybe add some tomato paste if you're concerned it won't be tomato-rich enough?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I randomly substitute and mix different tomato products all the time. Just cook it more if it's diced and it will probably be ok.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm trying to make some changes to my staple meal. It's a kind of lentil soup and the recipe is basically (yes it's a lot, I only eat one real meal a day):

100g diced bacon
1 1/2 cups of dried red lentils
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp onion flakes
1/2 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp butter

I add the bacon to the pan with a bit of oil and cook it up. Then I add the (rinsed) lentils, some water, and everything else except the butter. I bring that to the boil then let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then I put it in a massive bowl with the butter and some salt. Sometimes I blend it into a smooth soup, sometimes I blend only a bit of it, sometimes I don't blend it.

I'll do variations on this like use fresh onions/garlic, different spices, and adding frozen spinach.

What I want to do is remove the bacon and the butter so I can replace them with entirely pantry ingredients. The bacon adds some body and some depth of flavor that I really miss when I remove it. I can replace it with other meats but that's not helping my goal, in fact I use bacon because it's the meat I can use the least of to get the effect I want. Just adding extra spices feels like it's still leaving empty the "slot" that meat occupies. The butter is mostly a texture thing, it adds a richness and thickness that I like.

Anybody have some suggestions for alternatives that don't need refrigeration or freezing? I've already got a can of coconut cream to try and that will probably work for the butter but other options would be nice.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dehydrated bacon or jerky is relatively shelf stable and worth experimenting with. I'd also consider dried mushrooms. Sometimes dehydrated ingredients are gross but a soup is the perfect application for them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Shelf-stable bacon is a thing, or real (Hormel) bacon bits are even easier.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Costco sells a giant bag of bacon bits that will keep in your fridge for a long drat time.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Oh I should mention I'm in Australia. Not a lot of specialty bacon or jerky type products available to me. My supermarket doesn't even have bacon bits. And I'd rather not spend a premium on specially imported or boutique stuff for an ingredient in a staple meal. I'd probably be better able to get my hands on dried fish/shrimp products from Asian markets, which might be worth trying I guess? Hmm, maybe canned fish/seafood too. I haven't tried a seafood version.

I like the dried mushroom idea. I might try canned mushrooms too.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 25, 2021

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Phigs posted:

Oh I should mention I'm in Australia. Not a lot of specialty bacon or jerky type products available to me. My supermarket doesn't even have bacon bits. And I'd rather not spend a premium on specially imported or boutique stuff for an ingredient in a staple meal. I'd probably be better able to get my hands on dried fish/shrimp products from Asian markets, which might be worth trying I guess? Hmm, maybe canned fish/seafood too. I haven't tried a seafood version.

Maybe try adding some vegemite or miso to add some umami depth.
I like your idea of adding some belacan, that would be interesting I think and I love to hear how that worked out if you try it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

probably this recipe

looks good, thanks!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Phigs posted:

Consider "pork floss" (no idea if it's got another name in Australia). You can make it at home but it's also a shelf-stable ingredient available at some Asian grocery stores.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

I randomly substitute and mix different tomato products all the time. Just cook it more if it's diced and it will probably be ok.

Tbh I've switched to canned whole tomatoes for everything. If I want it diced, I can dice it (or stick it in the food processor).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed tomato chat. You can totally substitute canned, diced or whole and not notice a difference in flavor. However, diced tomatoes in particular normally have additives to keep them separate and intact. So don't buy diced tomatoes unless you have a specific need for that in a recipe. It's kind of like buying shredded cheese.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For tomatoes and preservatives (calcium chloride is the big one here that slows breakdown durning cooking) I've noticed that it's usually in both whole tomatoes and diced tomatoes; pretty much every domestic brand (I'm in the US) has it as far as I can tell. But with whole tomatoes you can mince them up pretty easily on a cutting board and get them to incorporate well, so it's not really a big deal.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can I label my aluminum cake pans on the outer side with sharpie so I can tell them apart...like label them A, B, and C?

Will baking them burn in the ink or damage the pans or anything?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
it'll be fine, but obviously you'll want something both heat stable and non-soluble in water.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can I label my aluminum cake pans on the outer side with sharpie so I can tell them apart...like label them A, B, and C?

Use an Industrial or Lab Sharpie and it'll stay pretty well. Won't damage anything.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do this, it'll be cool

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-etch-aluminum-panel-labelsdesigns-with-a-r/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BraveUlysses posted:

probably this recipe

Wow, thanks that is exactly the one!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

I used a similar process to make a reusable copper etchant to make circuit boards during grad school.

The hydrochloric acid off-gasses hydrogen chloride that reconstitutes in atmospheric humidity. It corroded the hell out of the fume hood where I was storing it.

If you want to etch aluminum at home, I would strongly recommend using electrolysis and a weak acid like vinegar instead. Doubly so because hydrochloric acid is generally sold by the gallon and that is significantly more than you want for something like that.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Does anyone have some recommendations for YouTube channels, blogs or websites for healthy recipes? Especially heart healthy stuff (low salt etc)

I love watching food wishes and babish among others but I’ve been told recently I need to lower my blood pressure and lose weight. I’m not too stupid so I know what I can cook but just anything to help would be appreciated.

Happy for it to be meat / veggie or vegan. I usually love a lot of Malaysian food on account of my wives family but I feel a lot of this is not conducive to heart health. Other than that cool with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just as an aside in case you don't know. My mum had the same orders ages back and she just straight up stopped using salt and our family just adjusted. Food will taste real bland without salt when you cut it out of your diet, but only at first. You will actually lose the taste for salt in your food if you stick with it. So if it feels real bad at first don't despair cause it does improve. Also making dishes you haven't eaten before helps the transition cause you don't have the straight comparison.