Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

tarbrush posted:

So. Old machine is sufficiently old that I need to rebuild, what do people think of the below?

Use case is not too intense gaming, work and podcast editing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£260.00 @ Currys PC World)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.99 @ Currys PC World)
Total: £628.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-23 21:20 BST+0100

The two hard drives there are less than a year old. Main questions:
I value reliability and quietness. Should I be including a cooler, if so, what?
Do I need 32gb of RAM?
Any advice on the motherboard? I really don't know what to look for, and the matx selection seems kind weird. It seems like a gamer board, and I'm not sure if there's another model/brand that's going to have less bells and whistles and more build/component quality

Will be doing the usual thing of recycling my old 980ti from my current thing until graphics cards start to get close to MRSP again.

Cheers!

If you value quiet, then you should be buying a cooler (the stock cooler that comes with 5600x is fine but loud). My recommendations would be the arctic freezer 34 if you're trying to stick to a tighter budget, otherwise the scythe fuma 2 is great (or the mugen 5 rev b) or if you want the best performance then any of the big noctua air coolers would be the choice.

I think that general gaming generally does not need 32gb but RAM is in a place where it can make sense (either for MSFlightSim or certain very poorly optimized console ports).

I think the Mortar is generally considered a reasonable board. I think the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI is considered a good board if you want to cut a bit of price off without sacrificing anything essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

vanilla slimfast posted:

What are the specs?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/636485/powerspec-g438-gaming-computer

It’s got good specs. Good cooling. Ive monitored the temp.

change my name posted:

Was it a clean windows install? If not, check for manufacturer-installed bloatware running in the background

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Looks clean /= clean.

Wipe and clean install. There’s an enormous amount of garbage on those OS’s, and you can’t always see all of it. Don’t trust them with a 10 ft pole.

Make sure ram is XMPd to 3200 without losing timings.

Makes sure there’s not any dumb poo poo looking settings in the bios (dumb fan curves come to mind).

Try again.

How do I do a clean Windows only install? I believe I just have a recovery partition that has the crapware.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

How do I do a clean Windows only install? I believe I just have a recovery partition that has the crapware.

What are the temps?

Seems to have a no name AIO and no rear exhaust fan. I’m suspect of the cooling here, especially considering how much you’re missing on performance.

If it’s from micro center the change of bloat ware is for sure less, and you may not actually need it, but I’d still clean install.

Clean install is very easy

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

But I’m leaning towards thermals being the issue. You need to record the temps during the middle of your benchmark on GPU/CPU/Ram to get an accurate idea of what they actually are.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ChocNitty posted:

You can download a thing off Microsoft’s site to make a bootable USB drive with the Windows 10 installer.

Funkysock
Aug 8, 2011

Clapping Larry

ChocNitty posted:

Get the Windows 10 Media creation tool from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Run it and either have it make a bootable USB drive for you (I've had problems with this in the past, it may not work) or use it to create an ISO that you can write to a USB drive with Rufus:
https://rufus.ie/en_US/

Boot from the USB drive you've created and when you're installing Windows, choose the custom option here:

Then delete any partitions you see here.

Once it's all one volume of unallocated space like this, just hit next and start the installation.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ChocNitty posted:

I’d check the bios and ensure the RAM is actually running at 3200 (XMP enabled since it’s an intel build)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

tarbrush posted:

So. Old machine is sufficiently old that I need to rebuild, what do people think of the below?

Use case is not too intense gaming, work and podcast editing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£260.00 @ Currys PC World)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.99 @ Currys PC World)
Total: £628.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-23 21:20 BST+0100

The two hard drives there are less than a year old. Main questions:
I value reliability and quietness. Should I be including a cooler, if so, what?
Do I need 32gb of RAM?
Any advice on the motherboard? I really don't know what to look for, and the matx selection seems kind weird. It seems like a gamer board, and I'm not sure if there's another model/brand that's going to have less bells and whistles and more build/component quality

Will be doing the usual thing of recycling my old 980ti from my current thing until graphics cards start to get close to MRSP again.

Cheers!

god drat that 5600X for £260 is fantastic value, i ended up paying £309 during the shortages just before Christmas

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Looking at piecing together a PC for games at 1440p (incl. a monitor).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($177.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.80 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($296.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1278.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-24 16:40 EDT-0400

Mainly wondering if anything here jumps out and bites anyone in the face as a particularly bad/inefficient choice.

Obviously a lot of stuff is hard to find right now. I'm not married to a particular GPU manufacturer or anything... just whatever becomes available.
I still have a 980 I can use until I manage to get a new video card.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Looks OK, couple thoughts:
  • People are going to tell you that 32GB RAM is overkill for games and recommend you drop to 16 (2x8) to save money. You could do the same brand/speed without an issue but if you're penny-pinching any well-rated brand at 3200 that happens to be cheaper would also be fine.
  • Most people find X570 motherboards annoying (they have a chipset fan that can be loud) and/or not worth the price premium. Look at a B550 motherboard. The B550 version of your Asus board is fine but so are ASrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
  • You don't need a Platinum PSU (Gold is fine) and you probably don't need 750W if this parts list is all you're driving.
  • The CPU cooler you have is probably fine but I'd either go stock (the 5600X comes with a cooler) if you are trying to be as cheap as possible and don't care about noise, or spend another $30-50 for a nicer one (Scythe Fuma 2 is recommended frequently, I have it, it's great; Noctua is also still the gold standard).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also that's a VA panel monitor which generally aren't recommended, but there's a dedicated monitor thread for better info.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah for sure at least look at a youtube comparison of the options (TN, VA, IPS) or something. i've never used VA and when i was thinking about it as a cost saving measure it didn't take much watching for me to realize i wanted IPS.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, y'all. I appreciate it.
I'll definitely look at retooling the build some.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

vanilla slimfast posted:

I’d check the bios and ensure the RAM is actually running at 3200 (XMP enabled since it’s an intel build)

Thanks. I did that.

A big thing I didnt mention is I was using a 55” TV. Not a monitor. But I set everything 1920x1080
I went out and bought a proper monitor last night. I’m getting higher FPS I think.

What are the temps?

Seems to have a no name AIO and no rear exhaust fan. I’m suspect of the cooling here, especially considering how much you’re missing on performance.

If it’s from micro center the change of bloat ware is for sure less, and you may not actually need it, but I’d still clean install.

Clean install is very easy

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

But I’m leaning towards thermals being the issue. You need to record the temps during the middle of your benchmark on GPU/CPU/Ram to get an accurate idea of what they actually are.

I installed and ran Folding@Home on full, let it run all night. 100% cpu, and 50% gpu nonstop. And no issues after 10 hours.

Looking at the performance monitor while running games, the cpu/ram/ethernet are relatively low. The gpu is at 80% capacity. So i think it has something to do with the gpu ram.

When i’m doing nothing, and have no programs open, the performance monitor doesnt show anything using significant resources.

Ive spent quite a few hours gaming and the performance seems to be where it should. It’s just the 3dmark score was underwhelming. I cant test it again because I decided the program wasnt worth $30 and refunded it on steam. I had 115 minutes of use, so I didnt have time to run another test before the 2hr limit for refunding elapsed.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 25, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks. I did that.

A big thing I didnt mention is I was using a 55” TV. Not a monitor. But I set everything 1920x1080
I went out and bought a proper monitor last night. I’m getting higher FPS I think.

I installed and ran Folding@Home on full, let it run all night. 100% cpu, and 50% gpu nonstop. And no issues after 10 hours.

Looking at the performance monitor while running games, the cpu/ram/ethernet are relatively low. The gpu is at 80% capacity. So i think it has something to do with the gpu ram.

When i’m doing nothing, and have no programs open, the performance monitor doesnt show anything using significant resources.

Ive spent quite a few hours gaming and the performance seems to be where it should. It’s just the 3dmark score was underwhelming. I cant test it again because I decided the program wasnt worth $30 and refunded it on steam. I had 115 minutes of use, so I didnt have time to run another test before the 2hr limit for refunding elapsed.

Just going to be brutally honest here. This post shows a deep lack of understanding on how this all works. On top of that, you’re hand waving away everyone’s advice and questions with non-answers and “it’s not that because of something totally unrelated. “

The size of your screen, or TV vs monitor, does not impact your FPS in any way, ever. What you may have noticed is the monitor may have a better refresh rate. Or your monitor may be 1440p, and if your cooling was lovely it’ll struggle more at 1080p if your CPU is throttled because you’re largely CPU bound at 1080p.

You can’t just say “I think I’m getting more FPS”. FPS is a standard. Either you’re getting more or you’re not.

Folding@home at 100% cpu and my computer didn’t shut off is not a benchmark.

The likelihood of you being bound by VRAM (“GPU ram”) on a 3070 is near 0, especially at 1080p.

A 10% performance delta on new hardware is not insignificant. There is likely either something wrong, or you’re doing something wrong.

If you want help, here’s my advice.

Answer people’s questions.

Don’t say what you think it is because you clearly don’t know.

Use numbers and specifics. My CPU is 80 degrees in game. My 3dmark score is x when it should be y. I’m only getting 30 FPS in doom.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I was really disappointed in my friends new 4k monitor, it's so small that you get no benefit from the resolution unless your nose is to the screen. 4k is basically a waste of money unless the screen is 40'' or more.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was really disappointed in my friends new 4k monitor, it's so small that you get no benefit from the resolution unless your nose is to the screen. 4k is basically a waste of money unless the screen is 40'' or more.

LG makes G-Sync compatible OLED TVs. My 55" is loving amazing.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

I'm still hoping to get some opinions on this before I go and buy anything

Also may as well ask if the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI would be fine for my uses since I dunno if I really need Wifi 6 or BT5 support and this has just lesser versions of both onboard.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

sandball posted:

I'm still hoping to get some opinions on this before I go and buy anything

Also may as well ask if the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI would be fine for my uses since I dunno if I really need Wifi 6 or BT5 support and this has just lesser versions of both onboard.

I use this Mobo with the 3600 with no issues. Bluetooth is range seems kind of limited, but I don't use external antennas (have connected an Xbox controller and some cheap Amazon headphones).

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Hi thread, putting together a potential parts list for my brother.
Is there any benefit to getting a B560 Mobo if I'm going to use an i5-11400F? From some research it seems like the B560 has some auto-overclocking feature, but I'm not entirely sure on other benefits.
Planning on using CL16 3200mHz RAM from whichever brand is on sale when we buy.
GPU will be my old RX 480 until something good + affordable turns up.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Hi thread, looking to upgrade my 2013 build and in sticker shock like everyone else at GPUs. Any problems with using my Radeon R9 200 series card until the market kinda stabilizes? I'm lucky in that I have a micro center near me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's the best move for paying the least, wait it out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonkeyFit posted:

This. Games like Dark Souls 3 look biblical on those.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

taqueso posted:

That's the best move for paying the least, wait it out.

That's what I'm thinking, just need validation that current mobos and processors will work with such an old card. Forgive my lack of awareness, I do a build once every 8 years or so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyFit posted:

It's so annoying that it's been like a decade since OLEDs have been available and they stop at 15.6 inches then resume at 42. What I had to do was buy a 15.6 covertible 4K OLED laptop and stream my main PC to it, since that's the only way I'll ever get PC games on OLED of a reasonable size.

It did work out really well though I think a 17-inch 4K would be just about perfect.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Hi thread, looking to upgrade my 2013 build and in sticker shock like everyone else at GPUs. Any problems with using my Radeon R9 200 series card until the market kinda stabilizes? I'm lucky in that I have a micro center near me.

You have a real chance at getting something MSRP if you walk into micro center. You could get a stopgap card. That GPU is gonna hurt.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Daeus posted:

Is the consensus to wait building a PC (assuming you can) until crypto cools off? My 8 year old computer died. I can play some games on my laptop but not all the games I play, so I'd like to replace it but could wait 6 months if that would be more reasonable.

Predictions run the gamut from "the crypto bubble is bursting and you can hope to see used GPU's for sale soon" to "we are at the beginning of the end of Late Capitalism and things are only going to get worse from here on out". As someone who built a PC last summer and was told by this thread (in the friendliest & most well meaning way ) that it was the worst possible time to build a PC and I should wait a couple months for prices to settle, I feel like the latter is more likely.

I don't see factors like botting/scalping going away any time soon without big intervention from multiple governments, or crypto going away entirely, both of which I think are unlikely. Maybe things will happen that will stop prices ballooning, but personally I don't know how likely it is that they'll return to pre-pandemic levels. Honestly, it might be worth looking at the new consoles (which are still hard to find but not as much so) if you'd like to play games, or just hedging your expectations and hoping to get lucky on a GPU purchase at a sensible price.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 25, 2021

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

MisterAlex posted:

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, y'all. I appreciate it.
I'll definitely look at retooling the build some.

I switched out for the B550 mobo and brought the RAM down to a reasonable level, as well as shrank back some on the 'oversized' PSU. Also swapped out the monitor for an IPS display that I got from an Rtings recommendation list and bumped up the CPU cooler to the Fuma 2. The overall cost has dropped ($870 not incl. the monitor and GPU), so that's nice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($150.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1175.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-25 11:11 EDT-0400

I may go with a 3070 instead of the 5700 depending on availability, so that'll affect the cost, but for the main bones, I'm pretty satisfied with the pricetag so far. And again, I've got a stopgap GPU until a new one becomes available, so there's not too much pressure there.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty nice if you ask me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bofast posted:

Looks pretty nice if you ask me

im obsessed with it and might just buy it straight up, its like the old price/performance quick picks build.

iom also a ripjaws devotee. like to have a little chuckle when unboxing the epic.. and dangerous... Ripjaws

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah I think something like this seems to be the current price/performance sweet spot for gaming (and 1440p gaming especially). My build from March ended up very similar except I went ITX just because I wanted to. I bet you'll be happy with it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MisterAlex posted:

I switched out for the B550 mobo and brought the RAM down to a reasonable level, as well as shrank back some on the 'oversized' PSU. Also swapped out the monitor for an IPS display that I got from an Rtings recommendation list and bumped up the CPU cooler to the Fuma 2. The overall cost has dropped ($870 not incl. the monitor and GPU), so that's nice.

I may go with a 3070 instead of the 5700 depending on availability, so that'll affect the cost, but for the main bones, I'm pretty satisfied with the pricetag so far. And again, I've got a stopgap GPU until a new one becomes available, so there's not too much pressure there.

Get the M27Q instead, it's the same price but better for gaming.

Also, I assume you mean the 6700 and not the 5700, which is last gen tech? But if possible I definitely would get a 3070 or 3060ti over the 6700 for the superior ray tracing and DLSS capabilities.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MisterAlex posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($150.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1175.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-25 11:11 EDT-0400

Any reason for that case?

Fractals focus series isn’t generally great. And it’s got two giant optical drive slots that I’m questioning if you need.

I’d consider spending a little more on a Meshify, or a Meshify 2 if you can justify the price.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I have a question that's a little more off the beaten path. I want to share a bunch of peripherals between my Mac and my PC, given my work from home setup, and I want to switch as few wires as possible. However, I'm trying to power a lot of stuff, so a normal USB switch doesn't seem like it'll work.

My plan is to add a TB3 card to my PC, which is using the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO mobo: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qXBhP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro

This is a sketch of the setup I'm considering. Note that the dock doesn't support 144hz so I'm connecting the monitor using two cables and manually switching the input on the monitor, since I'm gaming on my PC.

So two primary questions here:

1. Anything seem especially crazy about this? Is there an easier to way to accomplish this?
2. Any recommendations on a TB3 PCIe card I can throw into my PC? Should I just get the cheapest one?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Get the M27Q instead, it's the same price but better for gaming.

Also, I assume you mean the 6700 and not the 5700, which is last gen tech? But if possible I definitely would get a 3070 or 3060ti over the 6700 for the superior ray tracing and DLSS capabilities.

No, I did mean the 5700. For the prices that the 6700 and 3070 are going, it doesn't seem to make much sense to get a 6700 over a 3070 (though certainly correct me if I'm wrong there). The 5700 would be a significantly cheaper card (than the 3070) while still playing at 1440p just fine. So I figured my choice is between a.) cheaper and still good for 1440p or b.)noticeably more expensive but also noticeably more powerful.

Any reason for that case?

Fractals focus series isn’t generally great. And it’s got two giant optical drive slots that I’m questioning if you need.

I’d consider spending a little more on a Meshify, or a Meshify 2 if you can justify the price.

Honestly, the reason was just that it's inexpensive. I've really liked my Define Nano S case and wanted to get another from the same company. So I'll take a look at the Meshify and what the price difference looks like there. Thanks for the tip!

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
Hey, I'm getting kinda tired of waiting for GPUs to become available and reasonable priced, noticed this prebuild:

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali490/p/N82E16883360085

Is it worth the money? I just want to play pretty game, 4k would be nice but I know the 3060 may limit me. I have another hardrive I can install so the small storage doesn't matter. Would appreciate any thoughts!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it doesn't specify so I assume it's single channel which will significantly hinder performance. I dunno if you're you're getting 4k out of a 3060 unfortunately, it would be a pretty good 1080 card though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
The product photos and some customer photos show two RAM sticks, at least. There's no guarantee it'll be the same for your build, though

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

MisterAlex posted:

No, I did mean the 5700. For the prices that the 6700 and 3070 are going, it doesn't seem to make much sense to get a 6700 over a 3070 (though certainly correct me if I'm wrong there). The 5700 would be a significantly cheaper card (than the 3070) while still playing at 1440p just fine. So I figured my choice is between a.) cheaper and still good for 1440p or b.)noticeably more expensive but also noticeably more powerful.

The 5700 isn't being produced anymore. You're not going to find a new one at MSRP and any second hand ones at a reasonable price would have been sold last Autumn before the market went batshit, and second hand cards now will suffer from the same gouging as everything else. So your choice is actually either: a) price gouged 2nd hand last generation card, b) price gouged new current gen card or c) the holy grail, msrp current gen card

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EMCF posted:

Hey, I'm getting kinda tired of waiting for GPUs to become available and reasonable priced, noticed this prebuild:

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali490/p/N82E16883360085

Is it worth the money? I just want to play pretty game, 4k would be nice but I know the 3060 may limit me. I have another hardrive I can install so the small storage doesn't matter. Would appreciate any thoughts!

Looks fine to me, but don’t expect 4k out of a 3060

Price is a little high, but GPU market being what it is, it’s reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

The 5700 isn't being produced anymore. You're not going to find a new one at MSRP and any second hand ones at a reasonable price would have been sold last Autumn before the market went batshit, and second hand cards now will suffer from the same gouging as everything else. So your choice is actually either: a) price gouged 2nd hand last generation card, b) price gouged new current gen card or c) the holy grail, msrp current gen card

Goootcha. Well, then in that case, I guess it'll be the 3070—once I can manage to find one. 😅
Thanks!