Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DarkHorse posted:

:doh: yeah I changed subjects in the middle of a sentence and it was extremely confusing.

Tamyrlin was the first channeler, a legend in the Second Age (and probably the watershed between the end of the First and the start of the Second) and the most powerful channeler of the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends bore a ring with their name as a sign of their office, of which Lews Therin was the last before the Breaking

And Tamyrlin isn't exactly a far throw from Thom Merrilin, who is well known for his ability to eat fire, cast down Kings, charm the Aelfinn and Eelfinn into returning his wife...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nor is either far from, you know, Merlin

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Data Graham posted:

Nor is either far from, you know, Merlin

Yeah, remember the First Age is what we're currently living in with the break being people starting to channel which leads to the Age of Legends. Tamyrlin being some kind of corruption of Merlin which further gets corrupted into Amyrlin is a cool throughline.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's like a wheel!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Zore posted:

Yeah, the Dragon soul is on good enough terms with the heroes that you have things like Birgitte good naturedly giving Rand poo poo about his girlfriends or Hawkwing having inside jokes with 'him' that just sail right over Rand's head when they get summoned on Tomon's Head.

That's one of my favorite little moments.

"... Also, there is a woman ..."
"With you, there's always a woman."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's like a wheel!

Hey that's the name of the books! :haw:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder what the other ages are. Fourth is... idk, a new age of legends? I'm guessing bc/ad are two Ages, so that's 7 and 1... what are 5 and 6? Extinction, then dinosaurs?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nah dinosaurs are just a myth the creator put in the ground to test our faith.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
5th: everyone zooms off into space in saidin/saidar powered rockets because ???, making room for
6th: the evolution and meteoric demise of the dinosaurs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bullshit. Any truly loving Creator would give us dinosaurs because they are cool.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lord Awkward posted:

5th: everyone zooms off into space in saidin/saidar powered rockets because ???, making room for

:vince:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Awkward posted:

lmfao

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder what the other ages are. Fourth is... idk, a new age of legends? I'm guessing bc/ad are two Ages, so that's 7 and 1... what are 5 and 6? Extinction, then dinosaurs?

Can't be a new age of legends, by the time the age of legends rolls around again war has to be so long forgotten the closest analog is fencing. The world has gotta run through a few hundred/thousand years of unification wars first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

uPen posted:

Can't be a new age of legends, by the time the age of legends rolls around again war has to be so long forgotten the closest analog is fencing. The world has gotta run through a few hundred/thousand years of unification wars first.

That's the end of the Age of Legends, nothing says it started that way. And it takes a shockingly short period of time for people to memory hole things about war, it basically happens with as little as 20 years between them.

And there's nothing to say the Sixth age wasn't also a really cool paradise age until someone hosed it up :v

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can we have a nuclear holocaust too

Maybe that's how channelling got started, atoms fried peoples brains in new and exciting ways

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Last Battle Chat:

Gawyn is such a fuckin failson dipshit. "Can't risk the Amyrlin so I, her Warder, will go get myself killed instead so she... gets herself killed." Every time he comes up the other characters go, "Yeah him rushing off on some spoiled selfish quest sure sounds like Gawyn." What a miserable character, makes GoT Joffrey look sympathetic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pleads posted:

Last Battle Chat:

Gawyn is such a fuckin failson dipshit. "Can't risk the Amyrlin so I, her Warder, will go get myself killed instead so she... gets herself killed." Every time he comes up the other characters go, "Yeah him rushing off on some spoiled selfish quest sure sounds like Gawyn." What a miserable character, makes GoT Joffrey look sympathetic.

Lia's reactions to Gawyn throughout her live-read are pretty great. Love to see him through fresh, innocent eyes :allears:

Now she'd better loving finish up the series!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

She's gonna have a heck of a time with his actions in the final book.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If there's any one character that I'm praying gets a major overhaul in the show, it's Gawyn. Egwene is such a good character and Gawyn is such a dumpster fire that I hope they fix him so that he's worthy of the love she ends up having for him. Because as it is, he's just the worst.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pleads posted:

Last Battle Chat:

I'm relistening to The Shadow Rising and it's interesting to see the early moments when things are going bad for him, and try to understand his perspective. None of this makes him less of a dipshit, but you can get some sympathy for the awful position he (and Galad) are in by that point.

Like: He was taught from before he could really understand the concept that his life is always to be sacrificed before Elayne's, that he is to always be her protector and her sword. And then she goes away, and no one will tell him why. She's a Novice, what is she even doing out of the Tower? She comes back! She's okay! She ... won't tell him anything. She's very swiftly raised to the Accepted and very clearly is being ensnared in Aes Sedai plots. She gets sent away again, with a lame cover story. Min arrives and meets with the Amyrlin daily and can't tell him anything about why. (And all of this kind of gets copied over with Egwene because he is extremely horny for Egwene.)

And then a schism starts.

On one side is Elaida. His mother's advisor. A woman he has known all his life, who has always been concerned with Elayne's upbringing and potential as an Aes Sedai.

On the other is Siuan. The woman who, as far as he can tell, has decided to repeatedly use his sister as a pawn in her schemes, sending her out into the world unprepared and (probably? maybe?) advancing her too fast through the ranks as an excuse to do this.

He doesn't know anything, because no one tells him anything other than "Shut up, sit down, and don't ask questions." For his entire life, he has been taught to value most highly the safety of his sister, and he is denied the ability to know even how much danger she's being put in. (And she's being put in far more danger than he probably imagines!) And so he makes a decision about who to side with, about how to feel about all this. It makes a lot of sense. It's a terrible decision. It ruins his life.

Galad, at least, ended up in a place where he could move forward and make a positive change in his situation (by killing Valda). Gawyn doesn't really have that. Also, he's a massive dipshit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kinda funny the uptight law abiding pretty boy ends up being the better brother.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pleads posted:

Last Battle Chat:

.....no he doesn't. No one could do that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

Kinda funny the uptight law abiding pretty boy ends up being the better brother.

Except for those couple of years when he joined the KKK

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He reformed it though, at least.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vavrek posted:

It makes a lot of sense. It's a terrible decision. It ruins his life.
For sure he messes up with a decent enough reason when forced to that decision, and he's still got a chance of being a sympathetic character or even turning it around and serving as he always claims he means to. There's a huge setup for a redemption arc.

Then Galad steals that arc, and Gawyn decides to run headfirst into the Wall of Stupid Dumb Choices over and over in the last few books and then dies a chump and takes a great character down with him at a key point.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Pleads posted:

For sure he messes up with a decent enough reason when forced to that decision, and he's still got a chance of being a sympathetic character or even turning it around and serving as he always claims he means to. There's a huge setup for a redemption arc.

Then Galad steals that arc, and Gawyn decides to run headfirst into the Wall of Stupid Dumb Choices over and over in the last few books and then dies a chump and takes a great character down with him at a key point.

Hammer, chuckling from the Warder Dream, "We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Glumslinger posted:

Except for those couple of years when he joined the KKK

I mean even then it’s because he legit believed the on top propaganda of what a white cloak should be, and was too noble to think anyone could actually embody all those base rumors, and then when he caught on to his own error he just said “Welp!” and set about fixing things.

The thing that ultimately set Galad apart from Gawayn is that when Galad realized he was wrong, he actually corrected course.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Galad always does what’s right

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I kinda think we missed out on an opportunity to see how destructive men who could channel who've gone insane really were. Everyone seems to be kind of terrified of them, at least until the asha'man come about. They broke the world, though that was all of them going insane over roughly the same period, and there are tales of tons of horrible things men who can channel have done.

However, we never really see that happen on screen. I think the Asha'man are really a missed opportunity for making Rand into "The Lord of Chaos".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Awkward posted:

I am in awe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's probably more like, some dumbass opens a gateway to a mirror world where the dinosaurs never went extinct, and tried to import them for a theme park.

(I figure the Seanchan warbeasts are mostly supposed to be dinosaurs anyway)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 25, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I kinda think we missed out on an opportunity to see how destructive men who could channel who've gone insane really were. Everyone seems to be kind of terrified of them, at least until the asha'man come about. They broke the world, though that was all of them going insane over roughly the same period, and there are tales of tons of horrible things men who can channel have done.

However, we never really see that happen on screen. I think the Asha'man are really a missed opportunity for making Rand into "The Lord of Chaos".

there's that scene where they describe the aiel all singing peacefully as one insane channeler systematically kills every single one of them

don't remember the exact details except that it was extremely chilling and the kind of content about just how bad things were that we rarely got to see. i think it's part of why the Rhuidean flashbacks are such a highlight

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Taim culled any Asha'man who were going insane and nobody had the kind of experience and fully-realized power that the male Aes Sedai would have had from the Age of Legends, so a full Breakening2: Electric Boogaloo wasn't in the cards. By the time the Black Tower was producing enough raw numbers, the taint was cleansed and it wasn't a concern anymore.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ConfusedUs posted:

Galad always does what’s right

Galad always does what he thinks is right, to the point where even when he’s wrong he doesn’t fret about it he just updates the facts that he’s operating off of and course corrects his behavior . He doesn’t even offer an apology for being wrong, and doesn’t understand why you would want one: he was doing his best with what he had to work with at the time, which is all that can be asked of anyone. What would be the point of needlessly dwelling in the past by, like, making a list of names of all the women you’ve let die or something crazy like that?

It’s simultaneously incredibly infuriating and totally mentally healthy in a way that few of the other characters in the books are.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There was that one Asha'man (Hopwil?) that went nuts when Taim's dudes attacked Rand in Cairhien. He was taking blocks out of the walls of the castle and stacking them up for fun. We only hear about it from Min after the fact, though

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainsDescendant posted:

There was that one Asha'man (Hopwil?) that went nuts when Taim's dudes attacked Rand in Cairhien. He was taking blocks out of the walls of the castle and stacking them up for fun. We only hear about it from Min after the fact, though

I think he had found something else to stack up, but his original intent was to pull apart the castle to build a fort to protect Min with. Still crazy, and he definitely could have torn apart the castle butt Min managed to calm him down.

It would be fun in some of the Rhuidean memories to see a city turned to glass and some other things they did when they went nuts.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

jng2058 posted:

If there's any one character that I'm praying gets a major overhaul in the show, it's Gawyn. Egwene is such a good character and Gawyn is such a dumpster fire that I hope they fix him so that he's worthy of the love she ends up having for him. Because as it is, he's just the worst.

I hate about 90% of the romance in the books. It's so frustrating the way that Elayne will go on and on about Rand, when on the page you see them together for maybe 10 pages before Rand goes off to the Waste, after which she sees him once (to bond and gently caress). Similar with Egwene and Gawyn. Apart from dream sex, she has like a couple weeks in Cairhien meeting with him to make out in a tavern. And then after that it's all 'he's the one, I'm gonna bond him and love him forever'.

Like, I know that there's stuff happening off the page in the downtimes, but it all seems so abrupt.

The only reason I can swallow most of it is reminding myself that almost all of these characters are like 18-20 and experiencing their first love, and people are loving stupid about it at that age.

As much as Faile + Perrin gets annoying later, I do like the way their relationship builds on the page, and the bit where she comforts him when he finds out his entire extended family is dead is one of the most emotionally touching scenes in the series.

Rand + Min and Rand + Aviendha also get enough on screen time to be believable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Galad always does what he thinks is right, to the point where even when he’s wrong he doesn’t fret about it he just updates the facts that he’s operating off of and course corrects his behavior . He doesn’t even offer an apology for being wrong, and doesn’t understand why you would want one: he was doing his best with what he had to work with at the time, which is all that can be asked of anyone. What would be the point of needlessly dwelling in the past by, like, making a list of names of all the women you’ve let die or something crazy like that?

It’s simultaneously incredibly infuriating and totally mentally healthy in a way that few of the other characters in the books are.

Yeah. There's absolutely a valid reading of Galad as someone who isn't neurotypical. Many who are autistic or is close to an autistic person can look at what you just wrote and feel a certain level of kinship. I know I do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

I hate about 90% of the romance in the books. It's so frustrating the way that Elayne will go on and on about Rand, when on the page you see them together for maybe 10 pages before Rand goes off to the Waste, after which she sees him once (to bond and gently caress). Similar with Egwene and Gawyn. Apart from dream sex, she has like a couple weeks in Cairhien meeting with him to make out in a tavern. And then after that it's all 'he's the one, I'm gonna bond him and love him forever'.

Like, I know that there's stuff happening off the page in the downtimes, but it all seems so abrupt.

The only reason I can swallow most of it is reminding myself that almost all of these characters are like 18-20 and experiencing their first love, and people are loving stupid about it at that age.

As much as Faile + Perrin gets annoying later, I do like the way their relationship builds on the page, and the bit where she comforts him when he finds out his entire extended family is dead is one of the most emotionally touching scenes in the series.

Rand + Min and Rand + Aviendha also get enough on screen time to be believable.

Elayne/Rand would have been better if it was about both of them being into Aviendha who they both have a lot of interaction with and romantic tension. Just form the messiest polycule bullshit

Or like let Rand and her see each other at some point. Travelling is a thing.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good point, the three women thing would work a lot better, if it works at all, with the women being into each other and then letting in Rand, or whatever. Still a man's fantasy but a little more easier to swallow