Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hello meme thread I am beseeching you, someone linked an image of the Duke from RE8 holding a glass jar and asking if it was Rainbow Dash, and I need to inflict this terror on my friends. Anyone have it?

e: gently caress this is my first page snipe? gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Boba Pearl posted:

Ah man, really? I loved his books.

Wait, isn't he dead?

You're thinking Terry Pratchett

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Notably missing from both this and the show: hey maybe grading "sins" and "good deeds" on a linear scale like a person's life is simply the sum of their atomised actions is the real problem and we should question that

The show only meaningfully addressed the concerns of a handful of philosophers. Asking it to question and then compose a thesis of "what does it mean to live a good life?" is asking to expand the scope of the show a hundredfold, and even then, it more directly invites the question of "what is good?" which even grazing against would expand the scope a hundredfold again. I think that's why they repeatedly emphasized that the system is based on infallable accounting of the effects of earth and the life on it, because if you start to question the accounting (and you absolutely should) or the basis of said accounting (maximizing quality of life on earth, which again, you absolutely should) you immediately expand well beyond the attention span of a sitcom viewer, at which point the show loses the audience and stops being produced.

What we got moved the ball a lot and started a lot of important conversations. I'd love to see the show you want, but I don't think enough people would watch it for it to get even four seasons, and even if they did, what conclusions can you draw? "Man, morality is complex" is not a satisfying conclusion, but it's basically the best one we have as a species so far for either of those questions.

With any luck this will pave the way for more media that directly interfaces with and explores philosophy, which would be really cool. I read Sophie's World as a teenager and really, really loved it, but the teacher that assigned it as reading admitted that most people bounced off it hard, even in her classes. This is just a much more marketable approach to that content.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ranbo das posted:

Hello meme thread I am beseeching you, someone linked an image of the Duke from RE8 holding a glass jar and asking if it was Rainbow Dash, and I need to inflict this terror on my friends. Anyone have it?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Plastik posted:

I think that's why they repeatedly emphasized that the system is based on infallable accounting of the effects of earth and the life on it, because if you start to question the accounting (and you absolutely should) or the basis of said accounting (maximizing quality of life on earth, which again, you absolutely should) you immediately expand well beyond the attention span of a sitcom viewer, at which point the show loses the audience and stops being produced.

Except they did introduce us to the divine accounting department, which was staffed by bored immortal morons, who assigned values arbitrarily whenever humanity did a "new thing," and then they were like "yup and that's how it works, the math checks out, we just know the relative values of supporting the Cubs versus whatever the pony jar dude did, moving on."

You are right that the show did a lot to introduce people to the fact that there are frameworks outside of the rules utilitarianism that people inherit from modern education systems but fuckin' hell they got so close to actually bringing up the fact that there are deeper questions in that one episode and they just... didn't. I feel like the show should just not have told us where the numbers come from, and that could have fixed a bunch of problems.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 03:22 on May 28, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somfin posted:

Notably missing from both this and the show: hey maybe grading "sins" and "good deeds" on a linear scale like a person's life is simply the sum of their atomised actions is the real problem and we should question that

Uh-oh someone is gonna have to release a video apologizing in Chinese soon.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Section 9 posted:

You're thinking Terry Pratchett

Are you sure? I thought that guy was voted wrestler of the year 1998?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No love for Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Except they did introduce us to the divine accounting department, which was staffed by bored immortal morons, who assigned values arbitrarily whenever humanity did a "new thing," and then they were like "yup and that's how it works, the math checks out, we just know the relative values of supporting the Cubs versus whatever the pony jar dude did, moving on."

You are right that the show did a lot to introduce people to the fact that there are frameworks outside of the rules utilitarianism that people inherit from modern education systems but fuckin' hell they got so close to actually bringing up the fact that there are deeper questions in that one episode and they just... didn't. I feel like the show should just not have told us where the numbers come from, and that could have fixed a bunch of problems.

They did tell you where the numbers came from. The Accountants looked at every effect of the action on every living thing on Earth and the relative moral values of those outcomes and get their numbers that way. They undermined it with throwaway jokes about certain actions being remarkably bad even though they'd have seemingly no effect on anyone (like hollowing out an eggplant and filling it with hot sauce and nickels, -9,900 points) but that's the system and the nature of a sitcom, respectively.

Again, if you question the accounting you explode the show. You'd need something ten times longer than Seinfeld to meaningfully explore all the moral philosophers up to 100 years ago, and ten times more to cover the following 50 years, and ten times more still to get up to the time the show was written, and an unknowable number of additional seasons to cover the timeline from then to a thousand years from now when they'd be done with all that. And then what? No conclusion they draw will be satisfying to basically anyone, there is no answer to that question, that's why it's still being worked in real life. So you get a 2000 season show that ends with a prolonged wet fart that becomes apparent around the 3rd or 4th season and takes well into the thousands to peter out. And you'd still have people outraged that their favorite pocket philosopher wasn't addressed or addressed correctly or thoroughly enough. That's Philosophy!

Also, I'd like to point out that Chidi repeatedly debases the system, pointing out by comparison that the system, while it is objectively The System, is completely arbitrary. His inability to make a decision is clearly a metaphor for the field of philosophy's non-convergent nature, where further study raises questions far, far faster than it produces answers, if it produces any answers at all.

The conclusions that show reached were unsatisfying, but that was always inevitable because they were conclusions to philosphical questions. I'd argue that they did a good job bringing the conversation to some audiences who'd never consider it otherwise and the longer the show went and the more it covered, the fewer viewers would ultimately be satisfied by it and the less satisfied they'd be, but if you want to do that, let's go make a Good Place thread in TVIV rather than derailing a perfectly good Mmrnmhrm thread.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Dead parrot skit is timeless and will always be funny to everyone who watches it no one doesn't like it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CainFortea posted:

The Dead parrot skit is timeless and will always be funny to everyone who watches it no one doesn't like it

Theory I have nowhere else to post but might as well:

SNL has done a million skits and there's probably 30 that still land.

Monty Python did like 400 skits and there's a good 10 that still land.

In Living Color, The State, and Kids in the Hall are all probably hitting about 10% that still work.

MadTV had Kenny Rogers Jackass and I'm pretty sure that's it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah MadTV has "Sopranos syndicated for Television"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

and before you old-rear end fuckers try to @ me with :smug: "it's just a rehash of Mr. Show's 'Pallies' where they do the same joke but it's Goodfellas" like yeah you're right... but aside from editing the middle finger to be a thumbs up what do you remember really about that one?

The editing in this one is tighter, Wil Sasso and Debra Wilson do scary good impressions of Gandolfini and Bracco, and it even features the guy who played Big Pussy doing this thing because this was right after his character got whacked on the show and he knew he had to milk every second of those 15 minutes. It's great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Oprah visits George Lucas at the Skywalker Ranch skit gets me everytime.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I occasionally have the MadTV "Lowered Expectations" jingle pop into my head, so I'll vote for that one having some legs, at least as an earworm

~lowered expectaaaaaations~

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's just old as hell now. The Flying Circus stuff is from literally half a century ago. Nerdy teenagers watching it on PBS reruns in the 80s and quoting it on Usenet were only ten or fifteen years out from its original airing, and the films were still in theaters (Meaning Of Life was 1983). Fifty years is a much bigger cultural gap to span.

The equivalent of a teenager today watching Monty Python would be those 80s nerds watching like Marx Brothers films or something.

There is a thriving Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis shipping fandom on Tumblr, primarily Gen Z. Erotic fan fiction and all. There will always be extra-extra-vintage nerds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Boba Pearl posted:

Ah man, really? I loved his books.

Wait, isn't he dead?

naw, he lives and he finally finished his don quixote film

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

mind the walrus posted:

and before you old-rear end fuckers try to @ me with :smug: "it's just a rehash of Mr. Show's 'Pallies' where they do the same joke but it's Goodfellas" like yeah you're right... but aside from editing the middle finger to be a thumbs up what do you remember really about that one?

I can quote the whole thing from memory so kiss my aunt you piece of shoe

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Theory I have nowhere else to post but might as well:

SNL has done a million skits and there's probably 30 that still land.

Monty Python did like 400 skits and there's a good 10 that still land.

In Living Color, The State, and Kids in the Hall are all probably hitting about 10% that still work.

MadTV had Kenny Rogers Jackass and I'm pretty sure that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4TdoHAUy4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNuj8UkyC4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

This made me go and look up what "gabagool" actually is, and I found https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-capicola-became-gabagool-the-italian-new-jersey-accent-explained , which was pretty fascinating.

I wonder if there's anything similar going on with the Australian-Italian community, since a cursory Wikipedia suggests they came here mostly around the time that they went to the USA, or before.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hyperlynx posted:

This made me go and look up what "gabagool" actually is, and I found https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-capicola-became-gabagool-the-italian-new-jersey-accent-explained , which was pretty fascinating.

I wonder if there's anything similar going on with the Australian-Italian community, since a cursory Wikipedia suggests they came here mostly around the time that they went to the USA, or before.

is there an australian-italian mafia?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah but they call it cozzie nozza

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Hyperlynx posted:

There’s actually a dialect called Australitaliano, or Italo-Australian, where Italian phonology and orthography is applied to English words, so you get an Italian-looking/sounding term that’s much different than the actual Italian term.

There is a definite divergence in language practices between Italian Americans and Italian Australians. A leading theory is that Italian Americans became part of the “fabric of American culture”, where they found a new land of opportunity and therefore tended more toward linguistic assimilation, adapting Italian toward English and not wanting to maintain their Italian or teach it to their kids (apart from a few choice phrases) because it was The Old World now. Italian Australians (many of whom were placed in internment camps during WWII) reacted by holding tighter to that ancestry by Ital-ifying the Australian English they had to learn, and a larger population of Italian Australians still speak or write an Italian or Sicilian language as well.

Can I get that with Mardi Gras Mustard and a large sweet tea, please?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:lmao: the Confederate Stars & Bars flag in the background.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Android Apocalypse posted:

:lmao: the Confederate Stars & Bars flag in the background.

this was on right after dukes of hazzard. the flag was basically synonymous with everything south of mason dixie, and johnny cash was a country singer

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

So this one has more levels than I initially thought

Beverly Cleary passed on the 25th at 104. Was thinking "butterfree" sounds pretty similar to "beverly".
Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar) passed on the 23rd at 91.

[Roald Dahl would also be 104 if he was still alive]

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

No love for Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Clive will always be my host.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

Dunno. I only half-watched one episode of Underbelly, but there was one guy called The Black Prince of Lygon st, and Lygon St is Melbourne's Little Italy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hyperlynx posted:

Dunno. I only half-watched one episode of Underbelly, but there was one guy called The Black Prince of Lygon st, and Lygon St is Melbourne's Little Italy.

I mean, his name has Gang right there in it! What more can we ask for!?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FFT posted:

Beverly Cleary passed on the 25th at 104. Was thinking "butterfree" sounds pretty similar to "beverly".

also 1st gen pokemon #104 is cubone, the one that wears the skull of its mother

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FFT posted:

FFT posted:

also 1st gen pokemon #104 is cubone, the one that wears the skull of its mother

Hahaha holy poo poo, that explains your 104 remark from earlier.

I made this meme about Carle, with the pokemon scene being a well-known sad scene, and about a caterpillar. I just picked Roald Dahl as another well-known children's book author without thinking it through too much.

I had no idea about Beverly Cleary, her books aren't very well known over here (and I didn't consider Cubone either).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
All these British shows and no one seems to have mentioned peep show!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
garth marenghi's darkplace, people.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mega Comrade posted:

All these British shows and no one seems to have mentioned peep show!

Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb Look are good enough to be honorary american shows.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Seems to me the Aussie Italians are much more traditional than their American cousins, here they still hold the customs of their Nonnas and Nonnos in high regard, and the young ones go out of their way to pronounce old words correctly. There isn't the same kind of mangling of language as in the US.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OwlFancier posted:

Lady Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ranbo das posted:

why do people react like this if their post is on the top of the page

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thread, need some help. I have two car batteries that I need to throw out but I'm 240km from the ocean and my forklift can't drive that much. Any ideas?

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Thread, need some help. I have two car batteries that I need to throw out but I'm 240km from the ocean and my forklift can't drive that much. Any ideas?

A very precisely engineered line of 801 trebuchets should be able to handle it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

The editing in this one is tighter, Wil Sasso and Debra Wilson do scary good impressions of Gandolfini and Bracco, and it even features the guy who played Big Pussy doing this thing because this was right after his character got whacked on the show and he knew he had to milk every second of those 15 minutes. It's great.

That Gandolfini is absolutely uncanny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

some plague rats posted:

That Gandolfini is absolutely uncanny

yeah