Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Them being twins is absolutely going to matter juju-bullshit wise

Wonder-twin powers activate...:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress ‘em Up

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Mechamaru had the reverse of Maki and Toji's heavenly restriction (weak body, strong soul) and he had enough CE to self power a full-blown EVA and then some. The Zenin clan are just assholes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Major clans in general are assholes who hold manifestation of their techniques over all else, them looking down on heavenly restrictions makes plenty of sense given how much it fucks with that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arzaac posted:

That's fair. I'm sure for a bunch of sorcerers he was fine just being like, effectively invisible to them and armed with a gun, but he definitely needs to break out the cursed tools for the stronger sorcerers. Though I gotta say, regardless of the circumstances, "Almost killed Satoru Gojo" is a hell of a feat I don't think anyone else has even come close to.

To be fair to the people after Toji wasn't his encounter with Gojo that caused Gojo to perfect his technique that makes Gojo so broken?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

To be fair to the people after Toji wasn't his encounter with Gojo that caused Gojo to perfect his technique that makes Gojo so broken?
Yeah, when Toji "killed" him, Gojo figured out reverse cursed technique. This let him infinitely cycle his technique while keeping his brain fresh, so Toji's trick of tiring Gojo out before he finally struck wouldn't work anymore.

Getwo defeated Gojo with the Prison Realm by forcing him into a situation where he had to deactivate his technique momentarily to avoid killing tons of civilians.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
edit:^^^^^ What he said

ChaseSP posted:

The Major clans in general are assholes who hold manifestation of their techniques over all else, them looking down on heavenly restrictions makes plenty of sense given how much it fucks with that.

Hevenly restriction to eliminate all cursed energy in a person applied to all humans would lead to the end of the jujutsu sorcerers altogether. Its straight up a threat to their role in society.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Toji also has no defence against Domains. Not that he really needed it, as only Curses can use them semi regularly. There are two known Sorcerers that can use Domain Expansion and one them is incomplete and the other is a freak.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

Wonder-twin powers activate...:eng99:

Heh
Called it. Though it was pretty obvious.

gently caress yes Maki, kill them all. rip and tear, until it is done.

But I want to know the specifics, did makis restriction become like Toji's or did something else get passed on?

E:oh i just noticed, Mai made her a sword. but did Maki also get powered up herself in the process of Mai dying? hmmmmmmm

MonsterEnvy posted:

Toji also has no defence against Domains. Not that he really needed it, as only Curses can use them semi regularly. There are two known Sorcerers that can use Domain Expansion and one them is incomplete and the other is a freak.

It still makes Toji like 95th percentile in the Juju world. He isnt able to beat the pinnacle of sorcery but then again, how many can.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 22, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It still makes Toji like 95th percentile in the Juju world. He isnt able to beat the pinnacle of sorcery but then again, how many can.

In theory, Miwa.

...In theory.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i just realized that maki's been without her glasses this whole time, so either she somehow gained the ability to see cursed energy after surviving her fight with jogo or she's been doing all of this basically blind.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

i just realized that maki's been without her glasses this whole time, so either she somehow gained the ability to see cursed energy after surviving her fight with jogo or she's been doing all of this basically blind.

I don't think she was expecting to fight cursed spirits in her family's basement and she hasn't had any other fights between Shibuya and now right? But yeah, after this chapter she's Toji-tier so she doesn't need them anymore.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

seems to me that Maki if born on her own would've maybe had 0 energy, that or Mai being her twin and having cursed energy was interfering and passively making it so that she had some amount so after her death Maki suddenly had 0 left and got super charged.

I assume if the reverse happened Mai would've had a sudden charge of cursed energy for her technique to use.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
If Ogi's cursed technique when he's in serious mode is some sort of flame wreathe thing then he was relying on Maki to fight him as a sword user and not as a sorcerer the whole lol

Highlights Naoya's point about how hypocritical the Zenin elders are about tool-users. They're strutting around like swordsmen which lowers their opponent's guard yet still thought Toji was beneath them for using deceptive tactics.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way I interpreted what happened was: Mai took her cursed energy and all of Maki's and made her that sword from nothing. Then with her death, that basically made Maki into Toji.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inflammatory posted:

Her glasses were broken by Ougi last chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

In theory, Miwa.

...In theory.

Simple domain is more a domain defence then a normal domain. High level sorcerers need a domain defence of some kind, or they will be Slaughtered by the first Curse they meet that can use it, and Domains are fairly common on high level Curses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Official Translation.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-149/chapter/22569?action=read

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Kill them all, leave no survivors.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So now Maki has 0 cursed energy like Toji?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

yeah it was pretty much said Mai took all of it so now Maki is a superhuman monster like Toji now who is pretty much unstoppable given how it took Gojo to beat him in the first place.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Naoya's loving done for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

yeah it was pretty much said Mai took all of it so now Maki is a superhuman monster like Toji now who is pretty much unstoppable given how it took Gojo to beat him in the first place.

Well Toji also has cool cursed weapons to get around the stuff he would not be able to. But it appears that Mai made something cool for Maki

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
It looks alot like the sword Toji used to cut up Geto's strongest spirit

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's a see-saw If Maki had died, Mai would have been able to conjure larger objects and probably in more quantity as opposed to her single bullet a day. She gives her life to accomplish what would likely have been a normal thing for her to do if she weren't a twin. We see how Maki benefitted from Mai's sacrifice. I think this translation makes it slightly more clear how the twin dynamic works here.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

It's a see-saw If Maki had died, Mai would have been able to conjure larger objects and probably in more quantity as opposed to her single bullet a day. She gives her life to accomplish what would likely have been a normal thing for her to do if she weren't a twin. We see how Maki benefitted from Mai's sacrifice. I think this translation makes it slightly more clear how the twin dynamic works here.

The way I interpreted it was that it wasn't necessarily a see-saw. They just need to both needed to be in synch in their goals. If they both had had a curse technique and trained hard they could have been strong, but Mai not being interested in getting strong would have held both of them back. It is just that on top of that Maki using her limited cursed energy for strength was hurt because on a spiritual level she shared cursed energy with Mai.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The way I interpreted it was that it wasn't necessarily a see-saw. They just need to both needed to be in synch in their goals. If they both had had a curse technique and trained hard they could have been strong, but Mai not being interested in getting strong would have held both of them back. It is just that on top of that Maki using her limited cursed energy for strength was hurt because on a spiritual level she shared cursed energy with Mai.

No you are correct, Mai was in fact holding Maki back more directly because of her lack of effort negatively affecting Maki's limited cursed energy. But the reason I treat it as a see-saw is because Maki herself cannot have a cursed technique because of the heavenly binding so ultimately for one of the twins to excel the other has to pass on.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can I just say that I love the gore in the spread where Maki cuts the top half of her dad's head off while he's still screaming? And the way she just keeps walking after the fact... queen poo poo

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Whenever Toji comes up, I have a little chuckle at the expense of that horrible old lady who, much to her terror, found a game-breaking exploit in her summoning spell.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Caught up with the anime a couple of days ago, and blasted through the manga to catch up. Holy poo poo.

I'm mad because I read the first few chapters of this when they ran it in english shonen jump a few years ago, but they didnt continue it for a while and I never took the effort to follow it on my own.

The power and stakes escalation of the shibuya arc is kind of staggering to go through all at once. Like drat, theres hardly been time to breathe since then

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://jujutsukaisen.online/manga/jujutsu-kaisen-manga-chapter-150/

speedscan

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, Gege has entered the Horikoshi/Tataba/Kubo/etc club of dying for Jump unless a couple of those pages were entirely stylistic for a particular reason

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It looks like the art got rushed, don't push yourself Gege :ohdear:

Real cool we're on the otherside of the rando good guys last stand.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Well, Gege has entered the Horikoshi/Tataba/Kubo/etc club of dying for Jump unless a couple of those pages were entirely stylistic for a particular reason
I'm sure he'll explain that soon enough

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I think it's just supposed to show the visual effect of being caught by that guy's eye technique.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I think it's just supposed to show the visual effect of being caught by that guy's eye technique.
Ehhhhh, I dunno on that. It's pretty clearly Gege's contribution to the pages that's rough. Mangaka assistants usually handle backgrounds and those're done for the most part.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Does what Ranka say confirm that Toji could've massacred the entire Zenin clan any time he wanted to but decided against it?Guess we gotta wait for the official translation.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've only just caught up to 149, and I've had the realization that JJK is essentially non-horny Tenjou Tenge

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

yum posted:

Does what Ranka say confirm that Toji could've massacred the entire Zenin clan any time he wanted to but decided against it?Guess we gotta wait for the official translation.

Toji probably could've slaughtered them all if he wanted to, either in an upfront assault or just killing them one by one. It may have been his reincarnated corpse/body, but none of the people around could've touched him at all during the Shibuya incident, including an albeitly injured, Naobito Zenin given how he immediately hosed off with Megumi without anyone having an idea what just happened. it was only Gojo's absurd technique that could kill him due to him having no idea about it and it's likely the Zen'in's also knew this.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

get their asses