Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m pretty bummed today. We were out of town last night and my mom was chicken-sitting. Rose must have flipped her food bowl over one of her chicks and Mom found its little dead body this morning. I feel so guilty. :( I may never leave home again.

Also our little assisted hatch chick didn’t make it.

Most everyone else is fine and growing, so I should focus on the good news but it’s hard today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2022

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Joburg posted:

I’m pretty bummed today.
:sympathy: it's so sad to lose them. they've evolved to die at the slightest provocation at that age, for the benefit of the rest of the ecosystem, but there's nothing more heartbreaking than that moment when you find the tragic little corpse, especially when it's something so stupid and preventable that caused it. it was nobody's fault! i've started believing in reincarnation for my own emotional wellbeing. your deceased chicks will be reborn as emus, and run across the desert on their long long legs for 10-20 years, being fascinated by very simple things.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i took the chicks out again today and the little jerks really want to be on the sidewalk, picking at my potted plants, instead of the freshly mowed patch of weeds and grass :argh:

luckily they are scared of my corn broom so with lots of shooing they did go in the lawn. mostly.

they were scared of some quail that came in the yard, and scared of doves that flew overhead, but a sparrow landed nearby and Izzie the head chick charged it immediately

also we have a pair of rooster quail that have been here the last couple nights and they did not care that i got very close (thru the window) to peep them

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

city of glompton, your chix (domestic and wild) are sublime

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you :blush:

it is really charming experiencing the quail becoming used to our presence

a couple pairs of them have decided it is ok to come in the yard when we are outside :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

thank you :blush:

it is really charming experiencing the quail becoming used to our presence

a couple pairs of them have decided it is ok to come in the yard when we are outside :3:
that is wonderful. they are divine spirits.

i love that the baby chickens respect them! so they should.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

scrubby t! i think he's a rooster because he's super friendly and comes running every time he hears my voice, but doesn't like to be picked up. he's hilarious - his body is still only half the size of the others but he has normal-sized legs, so he's shaped like a tiny ostrich. i'm fairly sure he's moose's babby so he may end up being a jumbo, in which case growing slowly is best for his health.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I have a deep need to see more of this little ostrich.

The two leading gals of the 4 that are old enough to start laying. We've got about 5 regular size and a few halfsize eggs from the last week or so. Can't wait for the chicks to get big enough we can let them all into the same run.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ShootaBoy posted:

I have a deep need to see more of this little ostrich.

here he is being tall!

quote:

The two leading gals of the 4 that are old enough to start laying. We've got about 5 regular size and a few halfsize eggs from the last week or so. Can't wait for the chicks to get big enough we can let them all into the same run.
wyandottes are so pretty :allears:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

perepelki posted:

here he is being tall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For suggestions on things to use eggs for: Boyfriend made a chocolate cake (a sacher) and pasta today. That's 20 eggs used up! Chinese egg cakes are also a pretty good use of eggs.

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-egg-cake/

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they look like LoTR elves to me

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

they look like LoTR elves to me
lol i refer to them as elves a lot, they have that dignified haughty wisdom thing going on. it's great because i'm constantly having to save them from their own stupidity, and then they look at me like i'm an idiot

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

judgment

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

technically still Chicks!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

technically still Chicks!

I don’t know... they look like teenagers to me.

Large Marge started laying eggs again and she’s actively avoiding her 5 week old chicks. They grow up so fast :kiddo: I will try to finish the teenagers’ new hoop coop (waaay out in the field) so that her babies can move into the current teenager hoop coop. As soon as that’s done I will give her the option to rejoin the flock if she wants to.

Then I have some re-arranging to do with the Golden Girls. I have 2 more broodies set to hatch their eggs on the 13th so these gals need to graduate to other housing.

Here’s Blanche and her little chicks. She’s such a good mom!

In the background are the giant rooster “chicks” I got from the feed store 3 weeks ago. A couple of them run to me for treats now so they are starting to really be chickens :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Joburg posted:

In the background are the giant rooster “chicks” I got from the feed store 3 weeks ago. A couple of them run to me for treats now so they are starting to really be chickens :3:
:kimchi: :qq: :swoon: i never ever get tired of baby chicks standing on their hen. and i'm so glad your little foundlings are starting to warm up to you and enjoy their new life!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

same except peeping their head out from under mama's wing :kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Joburg posted:

This slays me :kimchi:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Looking for a little advice. One of my chickens was a bit lethargic and had some vent gleek going on, so we treated that and all seems to have cleared up now. She was off lay for 2 days, then laid essentially a mass of crushed egg shell and yolk. She's now back to her perky self and seems good but is still not laying for the past 3 days. All her behaviour seems normal, eating, drinking, trying to help in the garden etc. Should I be thinking about getting her to the vet just now? She has been a really regular layer for the past year.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Aramoro posted:

Looking for a little advice. One of my chickens was a bit lethargic and had some vent gleek going on, so we treated that and all seems to have cleared up now. She was off lay for 2 days, then laid essentially a mass of crushed egg shell and yolk. She's now back to her perky self and seems good but is still not laying for the past 3 days. All her behaviour seems normal, eating, drinking, trying to help in the garden etc. Should I be thinking about getting her to the vet just now? She has been a really regular layer for the past year.

I would, just for a check up. Having an egg-hap like that could mean she's laying internally (that's why she was lethargic for a couple of days, trying to push that mess out). Could be it was just a one-off, but worth a look by a vet.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

spookygonk posted:

I would, just for a check up. Having an egg-hap like that could mean she's laying internally (that's why she was lethargic for a couple of days, trying to push that mess out). Could be it was just a one-off, but worth a look by a vet.

Cheers, I'll get her booked in. Like I say she seems absolutely fine now, just not laying. Veet gleek has cleared up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I managed to get a picture of all 6!

The "chicks"

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

i love how comet and eclipse are just posing majestically all the time, like a pair of ballerinas

i think scrubtit may not be long for this world. i just spent ten minutes watching a young currawong edging closer and closer to him along the fence until it was right overhead and ready to strike, all the while he was just pobbling around and jumping up and down and being a delicious little morsel without a care in the world. (then i picked him up and put him back in the coop, to his great indignation.) it takes a lot for me to say this, but... he has the worst survival skills i have ever seen in a quail

:negative:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.redditmedia.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/nqk87z/sit_on_the_egg_you_idiot/?ref_source=embed&ref=share&embed=true

You sit on the egg,

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I just appreciate the "Stupid *PECK* Idiot! *PECK*" at the end.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Alterian posted:

Why do so many pictures of chickens look like they're for a cover album :allears:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

beautiful hens :love:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Enfys posted:

Why do so many pictures of chickens look like they're for a cover album :allears:

They're such natural posers!

And, yet, one can always easily distinguish the drummer and bassist.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

beautiful hens :love:

That is a good looking flock. I also like the blue nesting bins at the back.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The nesting bins are Lowe's buckets with the lid cut in half and glued back on in a frame holding them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://ludonaut.itch.io/borb-the-birb

The borb loves you.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Rose has some brave chicks!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i love them,

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Rose has some brave chicks!

Whaaa? They flew up into the tree?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Whaaa? They flew up into the tree?

They did! And they had no problem getting down by themselves. Maybe they are part Leghorn. Our Leghorns spent some time thinking they were tree birds last summer. We kept having to get them down to put them in the coop at night.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love everything on this page

edit: except the first post, but a dash of tragedy is required on every page of the chicken thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

perepelki posted:

a dash of tragedy is required on every page of the chicken thread
yesterday, with some foreboding, i heard a hawk calling in the orchard

today...

friday is gone.