Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Clark Nova posted:

perhaps the real horror was the abusive relationships we had along the way

It's this tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I need a new audiobook to do menial lab work to, something that leans on horror or the unexplained supernatural for its gimmick preferably, but very open to trying something new. Audible has too much to sort through to figure this out for myself.

Charlie Stross' Laundry series combines Lovecraft and modern espionage with bureaucratic comedy. Start with The Atrocity Archives

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days by Alastair Reynolds - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819V8434

I want to see the LDR version of Diamond dogs.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

You might like 14 by Peter Clines. Guy moves in to an apartment building. poo poo gets weird.

Then if you like that read The Fold. Then don't read any more of that series.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Deptfordx posted:

Then if you like that read The Fold. Then don't read any more of that series.

:ughh: i just bought the third one because i didn't realize there were more after the first 2 until i posted that

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well you might like it. :shrug:

I thought the third one so bad I couldn't finish it, and the 4th just mediocre, but hey tastes differ.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've been reading Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles and now I remember why I dropped the series more than a decade ago. I'm a third through and I think every interaction any character had was them being 100% tiresomely aggro. It's just incredibly one-note. I have somewhat fond memories of Altered Carbon and its sequels, but there it probably worked better since you had only the single POV who spent every encounter rolling 2 D6 on the intimidation table.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Well you might like it. :shrug:

I thought the third one so bad I couldn't finish it, and the 4th just mediocre, but hey tastes differ.

I kinda liked it. Haven't finished the 4th yet, but the third was a solidly dumb idea that would have not been out of place in a mid 90s horror film.

The Fold was great and 14 was amazing, but yea the quality drops a bit for the 3rd.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

Charlie Stross' Laundry series combines Lovecraft and modern espionage with bureaucratic comedy. Start with The Atrocity Archives

Although the series becomes somewhat less comedic as it goes on, the earliest books at least are pretty funny.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

You might like 14 by Peter Clines. Guy moves in to an apartment building. poo poo gets weird.

Holy crap, I read this book a while ago and could never remember the name. It's really good!

I tried the The Luminous Dead audiobook and I had to stop around halfway through. I'm not sure if it was the narrator or the story, but I was just getting aggravated, though I can't specify from what.

I will however second Tim Powers' Declare, that was a really good audiobook. Would also recommend his The Anubis Gates audiobook.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 1, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I love those, and last call and drawing of the dark. Declare above the others though, especially because it's one of my favorite poker games too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cicero posted:

Cradle is free again because Will Wight hates money, this time it's all 9: https://www.amazon.com/Cradle/dp/B0753FP6SP

This is also available in :canada:, btw, but it looks like you have to claim each book individually.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I love those, and last call and drawing of the dark. Declare above the others though, especially because it's one of my favorite poker games too.

I haven't read Drawing of the Dark, it sounds pretty cool, I'll probably check that one out.

I also see he has a short story collection, Down and Out in Purgatory. Anyone checked that one out?

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 1, 2021

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I need a new audiobook to do menial lab work to, something that leans on horror or the unexplained supernatural for its gimmick preferably, but very open to trying something new. Audible has too much to sort through to figure this out for myself.

It's not an audiobook, but narrative horror podcast The Magnus Archives concluded recently with 200 ~25-minute episodes. Starts out as a series of disconnected horror shorts as the narrator goes through the disorganized archives of the Magnus Institute (which exists to investigate Weird Unexplained poo poo), and as the series goes on you start to see more and more connections between the events in case files and some of it starts catching up to him in the present day.

I don't know if it actually concludes well because I've only listened to the first three seasons so far, but I've enjoyed what I've listened to of it, and I often find podcasts easier to digest than audiobooks, presumably because they were written for a spoken medium in the first place.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Another for the pile: The Gone World, Tom Sweterlitsch. Heavy X-Files / Control (the game) vibes with more cosmic horror and time travel that has some really interesting mechanical wrinkles. Narrator does a good job with it too. It blew my socks off when I listened to it a couple years back.

E: Body horror / gore warnings fwiw.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 1, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I loved The Gone World so much. I wish it was a series using that world-building.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

The Area X/Southern Reach trilogy by VanderMeer fits this too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Gone World is very much airport Dad fiction, I don't recommend it.

The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway is very good, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I liked a lot of the ideas and imagery in The Gone World but for some reason the actual moment-to-moment prose drove me up the loving wall. Something about Sweterlitsch's writing style made it very hard for me to get into the book. I don't know if that's a common reaction, though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Potentially big spoilers

Was The Gone World the one with the weird river, where people were crucified along the sides, and some lady was trying to fix it all but was also one of the people nailed up? I remember something about time travel and how it was the end of time.

The name means something to me but damned if I can remember exactly what it was.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

The Gone World is very much airport Dad fiction, I don't recommend it.

The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway is very good, though.

The Gone Away World had a great premise but I couldn’t deal with the tone of the writing. It thought it was cleverer than it was. I read it after reading a lot of Vonnegut and it was Vonnegut-lite, which is still pretty good but also like eating the diet version of a food.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 1, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Potentially big spoilers

Was The Gone World the one with the weird ...

The name means something to me but damned if I can remember exactly what it was.

That's the one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, cool. I'll second the recommendation then. I don't remember much about the book but I do remember going "Well, that's hosed up" a few times, and I remember finishing it. If I'm remembering right it was kinda like a lovecraftian xfiles vibe.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Enjoyed Reynold's Absolution Gap I guess fine for the first two hundred pages or so - then WHAM infobombed to oblivion by exposition so clumsy and stupid that I literally had to pick up my phone and google, again, if I've just missed a novel or short story that chronologically goes between Redemption Ark and this, and is just being recapped. I guess not! I liked Redemption Ark but even it had some moments where Reynolds handwaved a plot element pretty hard, or went double on dumping you with necessary exposition, but this turned that to 11 so hard that I felt like dropping the book then and there.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Just chiming in to say Declare is incredible. Was a real mindfuck to check out the wikipedia page after finishing the book and find out many of the events and characters including the main antagonist are real and the story is written to "fill in the gaps" of known history with insane demon poo poo. I now understand that is Tim Power's "gimmick" but I had no idea going in that's what he was doing.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Just chiming in to say Declare is incredible. Was a real mindfuck to check out the wikipedia page after finishing the book and find out many of the events and characters including the main antagonist are real and the story is written to "fill in the gaps" of known history with insane demon poo poo. I now understand that is Tim Power's "gimmick" but I had no idea going in that's what he was doing.

Powers' gimmick hits so many of the things I love.

Like gently caress yea, let's raise the dead with Blackbeard and go looking for the fountain of youth.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

GoodluckJonathan posted:

It's definitely among the best SF written this century and one of my go-to recs for folks who are genre-agnostic.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't follow industry news at all but has there been any word at any point in the past, uhh, decade about whether Vernor Vinge is planning to write a sequel to Children of the Sky? Children was not very good, but it was clearly intended to have a sequel. Fire/Deepness were both masterpieces imo so it would be a shame if he never finishes the story.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bold Robot posted:

I don't follow industry news at all but has there been any word at any point in the past, uhh, decade about whether Vernor Vinge is planning to write a sequel to Children of the Sky? Children was not very good, but it was clearly intended to have a sequel. Fire/Deepness were both masterpieces imo so it would be a shame if he never finishes the story.

I wish the third one had just been another completely weird alien society and not returning to the more boring of the previous 2 instead

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Aardvark! posted:

I wish the third one had just been another completely weird alien society and not returning to the more boring of the previous 2 instead

I loved the Tines in Fire but did not really enjoy spending so much more time with them. At the time I gave it a pass cause I figured it was just setup for a :krad: finale but at this point who knows if that's gonna happen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Vernor is getting on in years. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't publish anything else.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bold Robot posted:

I loved the Tines in Fire but did not really enjoy spending so much more time with them. At the time I gave it a pass cause I figured it was just setup for a :krad: finale but at this point who knows if that's gonna happen.

Yup, exactly. I picked up the third one, saw it was the Tines again, and just knew in my heart I had no interest in seeing more of them, even though I loved the first book. Maybe it just felt like he'd already done everything interesting there was to do with them?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

uber_stoat posted:

Vernor is getting on in years. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't publish anything else.

He's definitely no spring chicken, but Children of the Sky came out when he was in his mid-60s, so even if he's not doing much these days there may have been some productive years in there somewhere. :shrug:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Powers' gimmick hits so many of the things I love.

Like gently caress yea, let's raise the dead with Blackbeard and go looking for the fountain of youth.

I love the gimmick, it's definitely my jam. I just don't much love Powers otherwise. Like the Blackbeard fountain of youth thing should have been great, but man, it seriously drags.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pradmer posted:

The Two of Swords: Volume Two - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5685GX/
The Two of Swords: Volume Three - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5K2CK2/

Thank you for posting these - I decided it was ultimately worth $14 to have a three volume rather than twenty-four volume copy of The Two of Swords.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are there any "space trucker" books out there? A lone individual or maybe a very small crew with a cargo ship, traveling from planet to planet and having adventures? I've read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (although I'm not sure it would fit).

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Zaphiel posted:

Are there any "space trucker" books out there? A lone individual or maybe a very small crew with a cargo ship, traveling from planet to planet and having adventures?

Absolutely, I've got a great recommendation for-

quote:

I've read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (although I'm not sure it would fit).

Ah. Well, nevertheless. Uh, how about GRRM's Tuf Voyaging?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zaphiel posted:

Are there any "space trucker" books out there? A lone individual or maybe a very small crew with a cargo ship, traveling from planet to planet and having adventures? I've read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (although I'm not sure it would fit).

Space team series by Barry Hutchison is... Well it's basically that but it gets even weirder. loving love it though. The first book is a little rough, but still great. Think they are all on KU.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you want an actual trucker driving a truck in space, the Skyway series by John DeChancie has that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Alchemy Wars series by Ian Tregillis - $2.99/$1.99/$2.99
The Mechanical - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRIR85M/
The Rising - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W22IMAO/
The Liberation - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKSLGTE/

Germline (Subterrene War #1) by TC McCarthy - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16NU/

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein - $2.99