Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

It's a "we'll never know" since no one can come to a consensus on what is and what isn't a World title.

Yeah if you count like, regional belts that get treated like a world belt, it's Jerry Lawler, I believe he even has a Guinness acknowledgment for most championships, but I'd imagine most don't consider that a real world title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If you count every immediately reversed Dusty finish, Flair's world title reigns would probably above 50.

WCW's count varied.

It was considered a big deal in 1991 when Flair tied Harley Race with 7 world titles. (LOL they both had more.)

When Flair returned from the WWF, WCW began recognizing the 1984 New Zealand/Singapore switch and 1991 Fujinami. I guess to keep consistent with the Apter mag numbers without having to acknowledge the WWF.

In 2000, he was briefly recognized as a 15-time champ, but then WCW seemingly lost count and began calling him a 14-time champ again.

1994 WCW program with the world title reign dates recognized.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

1994 WCW program with the world title reign dates recognized.

Hogan just now remembering that he forgot to pick up his dry cleaning in the top right picture.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
To be clear, I'm talking about the Deeb/Scurll thing strictly on a fan emotions level, nothing more.

disaster pastor posted:

Is there any sign that this is happening, though? Because all I've seen online are his supporters yelling about age of consent and how he's being treated unfairly, plus the discussion that time a few weeks ago NJPW was going to bring him back and the locker room revolted.
Yeah, I agree that she shouldn't be entirely tarred by him, but...there's no indication of anything other than that he's *mostly* had the good sense to stay away...until NJPW tried to sneak him through the Strong tapings.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dr. Britt Baker becoming Champion has led me to thinking.

Have there ever been any other World Champions, (or indeed just prominent wrestlers), who have gone on to hold advanced higher degrees? Either during their careers or post time in ring.

Are there any real life wrestling Doctors, Lawyers, MBA's, PhD's, etc.?

Coz we all know examples of dumber than a box of hammers wrestlers, I would like to know if there are any wrestlers out there with the book smarts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The founder of pain management as a specialized field was a doctor who wrestled his way through medical school and had lifelong pain as a result.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Have there ever been any other World Champions, (or indeed just prominent wrestlers), who have gone on to hold advanced higher degrees? Either during their careers or post time in ring.

Coz we all know examples of dumber than a box of hammers wrestlers, I would like to know if there are any wrestlers out there with the book smarts.

The Intelligent, Sensational Destroyer had a Masters in Education.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Former wrestle man Harvard Chris Nowinski is a neuroscientist who studies sports related brain trauma

E: if i remember correctly he left wwe following the Benoit murders and after suffering a concussion of his own so he decided to go to his fall back career of doctor, as one does

titties fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 2, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

First name to pop in my head is Dr. B.F. Roller, who wrestled at the top of the cards during the Strangler Lewis era. He graduated from Penn's medical school. Bill Miller was a veterinarian. Gus Sonnenberg had a law degree.

Bunch of teachers, though the wrestlers I can think of with an education degree aren't exactly a ringing endorsement. There was George Steele, but after that, yeah.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Xavier Woods has an MA and is working on his PhD iirc

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The creator of corn flakes john harvey kellogg was an MD and he would wrestle occasionally. He was a very hosed up person

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

David Otunga graduated from Harvard Law.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Dr. Sam Sheppard, who The Fugitive was probably about, created the mandible claw.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Seams posted:

Xavier Woods has an MA and is working on his PhD iirc

i thought he was a phd already ?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

One of the Villanos (IV, IIRC) is a dentist.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

graph posted:

i thought he was a phd already ?

He's a Phd. in Educational Psychology.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BooDooBoo posted:

He's a Phd. in Educational Psychology.

That’ll teach me for relying on Wikipedia.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bunch of teachers, though the wrestlers I can think of with an education degree aren't exactly a ringing endorsement. There was George Steele, but after that, yeah.

Rick Steiner's got one, too

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Am I insane or did Triple H once do a promo where he used the term “skinnyfat” and then criticized the physiques of a bunch of other wrestlers?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Am I insane or did Triple H once do a promo where he used the term “skinnyfat” and then criticized the physiques of a bunch of other wrestlers?

he called CM Punk skinnyfat

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He called Punk skinnyfat on Raw at least once, idk if he also said it in reference to anybody else but I wouldn't put it past him

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Believe he said he was going to kick CM Punks's skinnyfat Mickey Mouse tattoo'd rear end, or something like that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, I’m only half-insane I guess, thanks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He also had that weird promo where he made fun of Chris Masters for getting off steroids and not looking like a freak anymore

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that’s the other part I’m remembering.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Also, it's a real insult among (the douchiest) bodybuilder types. Like, if you see someone who has a scrawny amount of muscle, they are skinny. But also, if at the same time they have a flabby gut, they are also fat.

Of course, if you don't troll the dumbest corners of bodybuilding.com, you would just be really confused by what the term "skinnyfat" is supposed to mean, which I imagine most of the audience was

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Now that I think about it, if some guy told me a girl was skinny fat, or she was skinny and fat, I would definitely get a certain image in my head. So I imagine someone out there watched HHH's promo and was like "Wow, HHH thinks CM Punk has a petite waist and a dump truck of an rear end"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

Also, it's a real insult among (the douchiest) bodybuilder types. Like, if you see someone who has a scrawny amount of muscle, they are skinny. But also, if at the same time they have a flabby gut, they are also fat.

Of course, if you don't troll the dumbest corners of bodybuilding.com, you would just be really confused by what the term "skinnyfat" is supposed to mean, which I imagine most of the audience was

The crowd laughed when he said and the chat I was in mocked him thoroughly

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

He also had that weird promo where he made fun of Chris Masters for getting off steroids and not looking like a freak anymore

Back when Randy Orton had the RNN angle during his injury, he was noticeably smaller because he was off the juice. Vince interrupted his in-ring promo to talk about something else, and commented on Randy looking smaller, and needing to 'hit the gym' or something to that effect. I took that, at the time, as a roid reference.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Red posted:

Back when Randy Orton had the RNN angle during his injury, he was noticeably smaller because he was off the juice. Vince interrupted his in-ring promo to talk about something else, and commented on Randy looking smaller, and needing to 'hit the gym' or something to that effect. I took that, at the time, as a roid reference.
It was post-RNN, but yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YD8xbPvvZ8

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Red posted:

I think this was during his 2009 bald lunatic run. Randy lost a lot of mass.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Huh! Having Orton wear a baggy suit was a nice touch. I wonder if he was in the doghouse.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think this was during his 2009 bald lunatic run. Randy lost a lot of mass.

imagine looking at a guy in this shape and going 'what a loser, we need to shame him into some more steroids'

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

Now that I think about it, if some guy told me a girl was skinny fat, or she was skinny and fat, I would definitely get a certain image in my head. So I imagine someone out there watched HHH's promo and was like "Wow, HHH thinks CM Punk has a petite waist and a dump truck of an rear end"

you're thinking of "slimthicc", op

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When CM Punk walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing in his face, HHH gets SPRUNG

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
also for those who've never looked into entry level weightlifting, the common use of "skinny fat" is someone who looks fine with a shirt on but is soft and out of shape. cm punk is skinny fat in the same way that hhh looks like a guy who jogs on a daily basis

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So rumors of WWE being sold drifted to me. Any veracity or just 'Well if you look at it THIS way and squint THIS way' hot air? Because it has been pretty well established that Vince will never sell. Is he about to suffer a repeat of history in how he swayed his father's main lieutenants to his side and they let him steal the company out from under his father? Because drat, karma's a BITCH if so.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
As far as I can tell, it's one of those situations where if a regular business was doing similar moves and transactions to what WWE has been doing, you would definitely believe them to be preparing for a sale. So I assume that's where the speculation is coming from.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The more likely scenario is that Nick Khan saw a bloated mess of an organizational chart and is shifting things around to resemble a regular corporation

A lot of the office cuts were departments that were no longer needed after the Network got sold, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Benne posted:

The more likely scenario is that Nick Khan saw a bloated mess of an organizational chart and is shifting things around to resemble a regular corporation

A lot of the office cuts were departments that were no longer needed after the Network got sold, for instance

I guess that's good for the financial health of the company, but the problem with WWE is purely creative.