Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Megasabin posted:

I just finished Assassin's Apprentice. I picked it up because I had heard good things about Hobb.

It was fine? It was a by-the-numbers fantasy coming-of-age story. Fitz, the protagonist, is likeable enough, which I guess is my overall feeling about everything in the book, but ultimately it came off as generic and forgettable.

One thing that really stood out was the glacial pacing, as the scope of the story covered in a 400 page book felt equivalent to what you would you get in the exposition chapters of another fantasy series. The narrative sort of felt like a stereotype of what non-fantasy readers probably think fantasy books are about.

So, what's the catch with this author and this series? I see there are like 2-3 separate trilogies just about Fitz. Does she use the slow pace to really endear you to the character as you grow with him? Does the narrative eventually becoming more complex and interesting? I'm on the fence about whether I want to read the rest of the trilogy or just move on.

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are fans of Hobb and one of my favorite books, The Scar (by the Dyachenkos, not Mieville) was compared by the publisher to Hobb's work. But I tried to read Assassin's Apprentice from the library and got bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished The Apocalypse Seven by Gene Doucette, and it was definitely weird. Fun, but weird. It's a great story, and all the plot points make sense, but still, it just "feels" strange. I honestly can't think of a better way to phrase it. Maybe after some cayenne I'll edit the post for some clarity.

Worth a read though. Interesting view of the world after it "ends". There's a few small things I'd complain about, but nothing really stands out as horrible or immersion breaking. I'd give it a 4 outta 5. Maybe a 3.5. It's not his best work but it's far from his worst.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I just finished Assassin's Apprentice. I picked it up because I had heard good things about Hobb.

It was fine? It was a by-the-numbers fantasy coming-of-age story. Fitz, the protagonist, is likeable enough, which I guess is my overall feeling about everything in the book, but ultimately it came off as generic and forgettable.

One thing that really stood out was the glacial pacing, as the scope of the story covered in a 400 page book felt equivalent to what you would you get in the exposition chapters of another fantasy series. The narrative sort of felt like a stereotype of what non-fantasy readers probably think fantasy books are about.

So, what's the catch with this author and this series? I see there are like 2-3 separate trilogies just about Fitz. Does she use the slow pace to really endear you to the character as you grow with him? Does the narrative eventually becoming more complex and interesting? I'm on the fence about whether I want to read the rest of the trilogy or just move on.

The narrative definitely goes places and the fantastic elements become more prominent as the series goes on and the much higher fantasy ancient history of the world is explored, but it never stops being a very languidly paced series either. If Fitz spending 150+ pages treking across the country getting into richly described misadventures to go on an even longer and more richly described trek into lands forgotten by time sounds like a dealbreaker to you then you probably won't get much out of the Fitz series. The Liveship Traders is a snappier series, but it greatly benefits from being read alongside the Fitz novels as they all brush up against each other in their characters and world-building

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

He wrote a occult parlour alt history after that that I never got around to, I don't think Felix Gilman is still writing though
The Revolutions. It was pretty weak, in my opinion.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

branedotorg posted:

I loved the half made world but thought the rise of ransom city was big average.

He wrote a occult parlour alt history after that that I never got around to, I don't think Felix Gilman is still writing though

He also is/was a goon, I believe.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

multijoe posted:

The narrative definitely goes places and the fantastic elements become more prominent as the series goes on and the much higher fantasy ancient history of the world is explored, but it never stops being a very languidly paced series either. If Fitz spending 150+ pages treking across the country getting into richly described misadventures to go on an even longer and more richly described trek into lands forgotten by time sounds like a dealbreaker to you then you probably won't get much out of the Fitz series. The Liveship Traders is a snappier series, but it greatly benefits from being read alongside the Fitz novels as they all brush up against each other in their characters and world-building

How much do you enjoy misery, and in particular repeated misery being inflicted on the protagonist? I wouldn’t recommend those books to anyone with even a modicum of depressive tendencies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Velius posted:

How much do you enjoy misery, and in particular repeated misery being inflicted on the protagonist? I wouldn’t recommend those books to anyone with even a modicum of depressive tendencies.

Fitz repeatedly loving up in the stupidest ways possible owns. Not enough failguy protagonists in fiction imo

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I loved the Assassin trilogy when I was a teenager, and I recently picked it up for a reread. I’m pretty sure he loses two loving dogs between the first and second books. Like, it’s almost comical.

But I love Hobbe’s attention to detail and the lazy pace of the books. I think it’s the salient details she chooses to focus on that make her style work for me. It feels more grounded than a lot of fantasy does.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The Revolutions. It was pretty weak, in my opinion.

Agreed.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

multijoe posted:

Fitz repeatedly loving up in the stupidest ways possible owns. Not enough failguy protagonists in fiction imo

I didn't mention this when I was talking about it above, but that was actually an aspect of the book I really enjoyed. Fitz hosed up and actually suffered impactful consequences, which is rare to see in a lot of fantasy. If she continues with this trend that is an element that could push me to keep reading for sure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are fans of Hobb and one of my favorite books, The Scar (by the Dyachenkos, not Mieville) was compared by the publisher to Hobb's work. But I tried to read Assassin's Apprentice from the library and got bored.

gotta put it in historical context, at the time i think it was really doing its own thing compared to all the other fantasy out there circa '95

like i'd say i'm a fan of Hobb but i also would not go back and re-read that lol

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Megasabin posted:

I didn't mention this when I was talking about it above, but that was actually an aspect of the book I really enjoyed. Fitz hosed up and actually suffered impactful consequences, which is rare to see in a lot of fantasy. If she continues with this trend that is an element that could push me to keep reading for sure.

You are in for a treat at the conclusion of the first trilogy then. A veritable feast infact.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Liveship Traders is good as well after the first 100 or so pages, which might be the worst pages in any of Hobb's books set in that world. It's just mutliple chapters of wanting to choke everyone for being bigger and dumber assholes then... things start happening and while some characters still suck the story gets much better.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Evil Fluffy posted:

Liveship Traders is good as well after the first 100 or so pages, which might be the worst pages in any of Hobb's books set in that world. It's just mutliple chapters of wanting to choke everyone for being bigger and dumber assholes then... things start happening and while some characters still suck the story gets much better.

it's been a long time but isn't that series basically a less problematic version of the Pern books, only instead of magical dragons everyone has psychic talking boats?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

buffalo all day posted:

it's been a long time but isn't that series basically a less problematic version of the Pern books, only instead of magical dragons everyone has psychic talking boats?

Not really. There exist boats that come to life after a certain number of people die on their decks. There also exist dragons and sea serpents and things. It's not much like Pern that I remember.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

buffalo all day posted:

I think ASOIAF has more in common with the Pern books than Liveship Traders does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

lol it has both!!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Deathless by Catherynne M Valente - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1TQGC/

The Labyrinth Index (Laundry Files #9) by Charles Stross - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769XMXV8/

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

Godsgrave (Nevernight #2) by Jay Kristoff - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3VBJ21/

Ghosts of Gotham by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZGXP13/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pradmer posted:

Deathless by Catherynne M Valente - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1TQGC/

I liked her Space Opera, how's this one?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I had mixed feelings about Deathless. I loved it about a quarter of the time, felt underwhelmed about half the time, and hated it all the rest. The writing walked a really fine line between lush and overwrought, and I just couldn't get over the feeling that she just wanted everyone to acknowledge how clever and knowledgeable about Russia she was.

I also hated Space Opera, so maybe I just don't like her novels (Killswitch is still one of my favourite short stories though).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

genericnick posted:

Finished it, for what it's worth. And what it's worth is not much. I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say that all POVs he ever wrote are the same and while his shtick kind of fit in Altered Carbon, if you take the same POV, split it in three characters and drop them into a fantasy setting it gets much more grating. If you'd cut every interaction that was a character being needlessly insufferable until they get a rise out of their opposition, only to make them back down with their badass staring technique you'd safe half the weight.
Come to think of it, I picked Altered Carbon up in the same batch as Bakker and Abercrombie, but today I really would only recommend the latter.

Morgan turned out to have a big issue with transgender people too. One less reason to read the guy!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ah yes Richard the sex I write is the sex I've had Morgan.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Captain Kennit is a fantastic character, easily Hobb's best. He's great in the prologue and remains great for the until the end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BurningBeard posted:

They do say "write what you know".

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Two of the recently released Penguin Sci Fi series are 99p on UK Amazon today: Driftglass by Samuel R Delaney, and Robot by Adam Wisniewski-Snerg. Has anyone read either of them? Are they worth picking up? Will probably grab the Delaney stories to try but I've never heard of the other.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

Captain Kennit is a fantastic character, easily Hobb's best. He's great in the prologue and remains great for the until the end.

I can think of at least one particular incident that makes Kennit anything but a "great" character.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

I pity his partners.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can think of at least one particular incident that makes Kennit anything but a "great" character.

He's anything but a good person but a very well written character, the two things aren't synonymous

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Two of the recently released Penguin Sci Fi series are 99p on UK Amazon today: Driftglass by Samuel R Delaney, and Robot by Adam Wisniewski-Snerg. Has anyone read either of them? Are they worth picking up? Will probably grab the Delaney stories to try but I've never heard of the other.

Oooo thanks for the headsup, I'll grab these I think. I've only read Delaney here and there. So many authors, when I think back, I realised I've only read them in short story collections, which is still my favourite way to consume science fiction to be honest. It's a bit like how horror is more effective to me in short fiction. Get in, deliver the idea, get out. I've never been scared by a horror novel but horror short stories freak me out on the regular.

You don't see as many fantasy short stories, I feel like. Are there some good collections anyone knows that I could pick up?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Oooo thanks for the headsup, I'll grab these I think. I've only read Delaney here and there. So many authors, when I think back, I realised I've only read them in short story collections, which is still my favourite way to consume science fiction to be honest. It's a bit like how horror is more effective to me in short fiction. Get in, deliver the idea, get out. I've never been scared by a horror novel but horror short stories freak me out on the regular.

You don't see as many fantasy short stories, I feel like. Are there some good collections anyone knows that I could pick up?

The only collections I've read are Rogues, which is an anthology, NK Jemisin's How Long Til Black Future Month, and both KJ Parker's collections of short stories. And both GRRM short story collections way back.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ccs posted:

The only collections I've read are Rogues, which is an anthology, NK Jemisin's How Long Til Black Future Month, and both KJ Parker's collections of short stories. And both GRRM short story collections way back.

I feel like I have one of those 'best fantasy short stories of Whatever Decade' around here somewhere but god knows where. Cheers anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HopperUK posted:

If you like that style, the New Weird collections by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer have a lot of good stuff

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I feel like I have one of those 'best fantasy short stories of Whatever Decade' around here somewhere but god knows where. Cheers anyway.

As mentioned, the GRRM collections Dreamsongs Vol 1 and 2 are really good (at least that's how I remember).

Off the top of my head, there was one called Warriors I liked, and one where they all take place in Vance's Dying Earth setting. Those are anthologies but same idea.

Edit: Songs of the Dying Earth

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks friends! I think I actually have one of the New Weird collections. I have an excellent friend who buys me books all the time that I didn't know existed.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

How is Rogues? It’s been on my to-read pile for ages.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HopperUK posted:

Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling edited a series of fairy-tale influenced anthologies that had a good number of hits for me, and Datlow's done some fantasy anthologies by herself too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling edited a series of fairy-tale influenced anthologies that had a good number of hits for me, and Datlow's done some fantasy anthologies by herself too.

Ooh thank you, good tip.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

How is Rogues? It’s been on my to-read pile for ages.

It's alright, pretty easy to get through. There's a cringy Rothfuss story about his sex pest faerie man, but there's also a decent Abercrombie story, a cool Gillian Flynn story, a good Scott Lynch story, and a really really boring GRRM story that's like the proving ground for his history textbook about his fantasy kingdom.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Once and Future King by TH White - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEDDSQG/

The Red Knight (Traitor Son #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZFPUL2/

The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD854O/

The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y0FIM/

The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYIUH8O/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pradmer posted:

The Once and Future King by TH White - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEDDSQG/

Hard for me to imagine but if anyone ITT hasn't read this then $1.99 is simply a must, this is an absolute classic. And if you haven't read it since you were 12, it's amazing to re-read as an adult.