Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1395797795764936704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
https://twitter.com/MCFick/status/1396957002958581762

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress duke

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1400135966619209729?s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gently caress Coach K is dead

Long live gently caress Jon Scheyer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
cannot wait for duke to cycle through a bunch of coach k failsons instead of actually acting like a power and just going out and grabbing someone like Nate Oats

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Roy and Coach K done

Maybe I won't have to hear about Tobacco Road for a while

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

cannot wait for duke to cycle through a bunch of coach k failsons instead of actually acting like a power and just going out and grabbing someone like Nate Oats

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1400141614534758402

fuckin' Tommy Amaker of all drat people. Seemed like a decent person but uh, Michigan was bad bad bad bad under him.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
always figured K would drop dead on the job but maybe he still will

at the very least he must have run the numbers and figured that Calipari, Self, or Few wouldn't end up catching him on the all-time wins list

MourningView posted:

i dunno, seems like Jon Scheyer has mastered the primary skills of 2010s Duke and NCAA basketball more generally: filling a bag with money and finding ways to get it to players

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 2, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If your replacement is the guy who is good at getting the bag to the best one and dones then I think your criteria is short-sighted. Likeness is just the start and while I assume the top programs will continue to get the top players from what is left after the best guys go D League I feel like that is something to prepare for better

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

at the very least he must have run the numbers and figured that Calipari, Self, or Few wouldn't end up catching him on the all-time wins list
i dunno, seems like Jon Scheyer has mastered the primary skills of 2010s Duke and NCAA basketball more generally: filling a bag with money and finding ways to get it to players

That's had diminishing returns the last couple years and they managed to gently caress up what should have been an easy title with Zion. And yeah g-league/NBL/whatever is gonna start picking off more and more of those guys

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
i guess i should note that i am not actually serious in saying that hiring your bagman to run your team is a great idea, and thus on those grounds i fully support Scheyer getting the job over Nate Oats or someone who can actually build a program around consistent principles and improve players while playing exciting basketball

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

once he lost pat baldwin he knew the game had left him behind

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I fully support Duke hiring a former player/coach with no prior head coaching experience on the sole grounds af being a Duke guy. Surely nothing will go wrong with that.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I think if you’re someone of Coach K’s stature and impact I’m pretty OK with him picking his successor. I’m sure it’ll be a be a poo poo show but who cares, and if it somehow works out then everyone’s happy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i feel like the recruiting would’ve taken care of itself for a few years and it would be a better idea to get a decent x’s and o’s guy in there to actually, you know, win basketball games since duke actually wasn’t very good at that this season!

but hey, jon scheyer, rock n roll baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All the other guys he'd been grooming for the job have worked out great, no reason to worry

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Doing Coach K a favor after 30 years seems fine. Plus give the program some time to see how things shake out with all the changes to NIL and potential G-league/NBA stuff.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Adun posted:

Doing Coach K a favor after 30 years seems fine. Plus give the program some time to see how things shake out with all the changes to NIL and potential G-league/NBA stuff.

Agreed, failing behind does make sense

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Watching Duke turn into Indiana would be loving incredible

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ungratek posted:

Watching Duke turn into Indiana would be loving incredible

Funnily enough they were saying this at the start of Coach K's career too

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1400230107604729862

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ungratek posted:

Agreed, failing behind does make sense

Why would anyone expect the program to be as good as it was under an all time great coach?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

lol that's the shot they're going with

edit: spoke to soon, they added this pic that without context would be incredibly sus
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1400230386765074433?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

lol that's the shot they're going with

edit: spoke to soon, they added this pic that without context would be incredibly sus
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1400230386765074433?s=20

can't decide whose fit is worse

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Somebody help a lazy person remember what Duke did before Coach K because I legitimately don't know

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Mike Gminski pretty much

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

kiimo posted:

Somebody help a lazy person remember what Duke did before Coach K because I legitimately don't know

the first time they became relevant they poached Vic Bubas off NC State's bench and he made them a national power for a decade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

he was a good basketball coach and in exchange you gave him millions of dollars. that seems like a good deal for him, I don't know why he gets to be emperor for life on top of it. if he wants to keep running the program maybe he shouldn't retire

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Well he has been and will continue to be the best fundraiser for the school and the athletics program so keeping him happy from a purely transactional perspective makes sense?

It’s really hard to get worked up about the basketball team being potentially mid of the pack in the ACC for a few seasons.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We replaced Roy with this guy Bill Self and then he lost the first game in the tournament two years in a row and I'm not gonna lie he we thought we were prepared to have a few down seasons and that got old immediately

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Why does the picture of Duke's next coach say UK?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Always and forever

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
:aaa:

https://twitter.com/umterps/status/1400250558741635073

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Maryland athletics murdering Jon Scheyer like he was a Maryland football player

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rumor is that Desi Sills has academic troubles that will likely prevent him from transferring to Auburn. Less of a blow since picking up KD Johnson from the mass Georgia exodus (what is going on there?) but it was seemingly his pickup that led Trey Alexander to decommit so that's unfortunate. Hard to get hung up on any one guy since they ended the season needing to grab a ton of ready guards and did do that even if the names have changed but still, unfortunate.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Adun posted:

Maryland athletics murdering Jon Scheyer like he was a Maryland football player

me, i'd say that's probably not worth using to score rivalry points

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's not easy to find a program I dislike more than Duke but man Maryland fits the bill

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

elentar posted:

me, i'd say that's probably not worth using to score rivalry points

Me, I’d say it’s probably not worth getting a kid killed to finish behind Rutgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you see the joke is that a kid died