Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oh jay posted:

The Sludge villain from the very first chapter did a smash and grab on convenience store seemingly with no major injuries.

Shigaraki had no conviction in that speech he gave at USJ, but he wasn't completely off base in saying that All Might beats people up to enforce society's status quo.

Speaking of Shigaraki, I like how his whole encounter with Deku at the mall doesn't really change what his goal is (it went from destroying All Might to... destroying All Might) but it does lead to Shigaraki finding his own reasons instead of just parroting empty rhetoric like he did at the USJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

oh jay posted:

The Sludge villain from the very first chapter did a smash and grab on convenience store seemingly with no major injuries.

Shigaraki had no conviction in that speech he gave at USJ, but he wasn't completely off base in saying that All Might beats people up to enforce society's status quo.

By the time All Might caught up with him and was in a position to try to stop/arrest him, he was suffocating and trying to hijack Deku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oh jay posted:

You mean the one who was trying to body-snatch a teenager, then later did so again? It's entirely possible he already had an extensive record, and the arson and kidnapping weren't an isolated incident.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 3, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The arson wasn't the sludge villain. Bakugo set the alley on fire with explosions trying to get the guy off him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CuwiKhons posted:

The arson wasn't the sludge villain. Bakugo set the alley on fire with explosions trying to get the guy off him.
Right, I forgot about that. Fair. I stand by the serial attempted bodysnatching suggesting a precedent, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sludge Guy is extremely casual and taunting about how possessing Deku's body is going to suffocate him to death so uh not really inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clearly he was only trying to steal Izuku's body to feed his starving family.

His family are cannibals btw.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something interesting in the latest chapter is that the previous director recruited Nagant when she was still in junior high. But when she killed him, it seems the lesson the commission took away from it is that middle-schoolers already developed a will of their own so the best step is to groom heroes from a younger age to make them more dependent on the commission, as seen in Hawks.

While I get killing off the commission is to help move the story along to the finale, it would've been interesting to see how Deku and the others handle dismantling such a poisonous opponent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can see the commission meet for the first time after All Might retires and they're basically like "Man we kinda relied too much on this one guy to keep society's wheels spinning while we worked in the background. Oh well, here we go killing again!" And then they gangpress Hawks into being a spy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

And yet, the only person we've ever seen Hawks actually kill was Twice during the big raid and even that was after he tried to convince him to surrender. Either Hawks has never had to do much assassination, or the commission cut back on that after it drove one of their own to turn on them.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That may have been more due to Hawks spending enough time with the LOV to feel sympathy for Twice. But yes, I can also see them having decided not to use Hawks for assassinations much, especially with how rapidly he jumped up the ranks. I mean, the guy was the #3 ranked hero by the time he was 22. I don't know what age he became an independent pro hero introduced to the public but as soon as it became clear he was popular with the masses, you'd probably give someone else the assassination jobs so you don't risk your golden poster boy getting found out as a stone cold killer.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

amigolupus posted:

While I get killing off the commission is to help move the story along to the finale, it would've been interesting to see how Deku and the others handle dismantling such a poisonous opponent.

They punch them so hard they do a 540 and become good guys that actually do their jobs legally

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If this is what the police are like, I'd hate to see their military (if those still exist in this universe).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

If this is what the police are like, I'd hate to see their military (if those still exist in this universe).

The Hero Commission is not actually at all related to policework as far as I know. From memory they made a clear deliniation between heroes and police at some point, heroes are legally allowed to fight with quirks and are closer to special agents/emergency aid workers, whilst the police took on a larger position based on detective work and investigation to support the heroes in tracking down villains.

The Hero Commission is the government oversight for the heroes, so it's the equivalent in position to whatever government branch is in charge of the police but unrelated.

This of course does not stop heroes in MHA from effectively being super police, just worth remembering the actual in universe distinctions between the positions in terms of legal matters.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Chapter 315

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Good chapter. Also Fa Jin was exactly what I thought it was. That was a pretty hosed up injury to Nagant's gun arm too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I kind of expected him to pull something like this, but still, gently caress All For One.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure AFO just made her face explode by having a quirk where if he touches someone, he can later detonate them, but I also like the idea that actually some poor bastard in the past had a quirk that was nothing but "I can make my own face explode, potentially killing me!" and AFO was like "oh word, I gotta have that to give to somebody and remote activate it when they least expect it."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPEVQp1MZw&t=132s

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still don't get what proving you're one of the "good ones" does to quash Lady Nagant's issues. You're one of the good ones, so loving what? You got to stay clean while other people did grossly illegal/immoral acts to keep the facade up. What "light" is she supposed to shine anywhere- she was literally used, manipulated, and thrown away by the system you're trying to save- just being even nicer as you punch the normal villains doesn't fix it. You cannot "hero" even harder to fix a broken status quo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like Nagant wasn't actually a Stain style fanatic. She killed a guy because she was in a hosed up situation and was then thrown in super jail. She's lived with her bitterness for years but she worked as a pro and her flashbacks show she did believe in heroes as a kid. She wanted to believe again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

I still don't get what proving you're one of the "good ones" does to quash Lady Nagant's issues. You're one of the good ones, so loving what? You got to stay clean while other people did grossly illegal/immoral acts to keep the facade up. What "light" is she supposed to shine anywhere- she was literally used, manipulated, and thrown away by the system you're trying to save- just being even nicer as you punch the normal villains doesn't fix it. You cannot "hero" even harder to fix a broken status quo.

Nagant isn't a hardcore AfO loyalist and is only working with him out of bitterness and a lack of anything better to do, so it's not like it's hard to shake her convictions.

Deku breaking through to her doesn't fix her issues so much as it shows her that there's still some potential good in the system - that if it can produce someone like Deku, then maybe it isn't completely 100% rotten and can be changed for the better. It's very similar to how Stain acknowledged that Deku was a true hero and was worthy of life despite despising the system with all of his heart and soul.

You absolutely can "hero" harder to try to change the broken status quo, specifically by dragging the shady poo poo that supports the existing system into the light and holding those responsible accountable. Hell, Endeavor is currently doing this - despite his entire reputation and career being (rightly) in complete tatters, he's still doing his job to fix the situation and make up for his mistakes despite the easy way out being to simply retire and live the rest of his life in comfort on his giant piles of money. Now that Deku knows about what the hero commission has done/is doing, do you think he's not going to tell All Might and Best Jeanist and Edgeshot and Eraserhead about it and they're not going to bring it public?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:stonk:

Right, silly me, I forgot AFO's a piece of poo poo boss

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm sure AFO just made her face explode by having a quirk where if he touches someone, he can later detonate them, but I also like the idea that actually some poor bastard in the past had a quirk that was nothing but "I can make my own face explode, potentially killing me!" and AFO was like "oh word, I gotta have that to give to somebody and remote activate it when they least expect it."

Well there was that dude in Vigilantes whose quirk is "suicide bomb" and has a bomb for a head.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

TheHan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least the egg on her face is now nicely fried

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Unless Overhaul can somehow still use his quirk with no arms, I'm not sure how Nagant survives this. I guess she might live long enough to give them info on where All For One is, but I doubt he actually told her where he is if he predicted her having a change a heart and planting a bomb on her.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Midoriya being an All Might stan finally works out for him in a practical manner

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Deku's final quirk he can heal crippling injuries, but only on other people. Also using it breaks his bones

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Unless Overhaul can somehow still use his quirk with no arms, I'm not sure how Nagant survives this. I guess she might live long enough to give them info on where All For One is, but I doubt he actually told her where he is if he predicted her having a change a heart and planting a bomb on her.

I'm just not sure why Horikoshi would have paired the two of them unless this was leading to some sort of redemption/anything for Overhaul. As things stand right now, if she just dies I don't know why anyone's gonna bring him to his boss which makes his inclusion confusing beyond the one moment of misdirection in this chapter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I dunno. I feel like Deku would do it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CuwiKhons posted:

All for One has already tou-

:argh:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I dunno. I feel like Deku would do it

Yeah. Overhaul has nothing left, he's not a threat anymore, why not give him this one thing. I feel like, at some point, Eri will use her powers to restore the boss, either because Deku asked her to, or because she volunteered to do it on her own. At which point Overhaul will have a breakdown, realizing just how wrong he was about Eri.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
You know, it'd be cool if Lady Nagant pulled a Mirko and survived with some nasty scars, but unfortunately, I think this one's for good this time.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

There’s an empty void where her face is. Yeah she’s toast without Overhaul/Eri magic.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

christmas boots posted:

Deku's final quirk he can heal crippling injuries, but only on other people. Also using it breaks his bones

How about a quirk that allows him to transfer injuries? Just have him transfer "loss of arm" to the guy who can grow body parts and boom, healing a couple of noteworthy people and giving a minor character some importance.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

y'all are really underestimating how hard it is to die in a shonen

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Well, now Nagant's face is transparent so the All For One era is currently going as advertised.

Mraagvpeine posted:

How about a quirk that allows him to transfer injuries? Just have him transfer "loss of arm" to the guy who can grow body parts and boom, healing a couple of noteworthy people and giving a minor character some importance.

He produces fruit that if you eat it, it will heal your injury but you must give something up in [equivalent exchange].

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Official release:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-315/chapter/22621?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009386

Man, gently caress All For One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ugh, this sucks.

And not in the "oh no, AfO is so smart and evil!" way. More in the "...are you seriously going to kill off Nagant so that her dying words can properly motivate Hawks? Really? :rolleyes:" way.