Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ymgve posted:

youd need a global ban though because if just one country bans it then all trading will just move to countries where its legal

No need. The crypto bubble is being kept up by being able to transfer money from the strong economies to weaker ones.

Ban it in the US and EU, and watch the number of profitable targets sink like a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

backups aren't a solution to ransomware because they thought of that and now they threaten to release your business data as part of the ransom
Yeah backups being the solution to ransomware is some a-grade insanity. Even if you have backups, the cleanup is going to be hell, and you'll never be sure you've eradicated all footholds.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah backups being the solution to ransomware is some a-grade insanity. Even if you have backups, the cleanup is going to be hell, and you'll never be sure you've eradicated all footholds.

Google the question and notice that 10/10 of the answers say that backups are the solution. I also imagine people here have been hired to deal with ransomware and backups were the solution then.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i for one take my security advice via googling and reading ads rather than asking the experts itt

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xtal posted:

Google the question and notice that 10/10 of the answers say that backups are the solution. I also imagine people here have been hired to deal with ransomware and backups were the solution then.

Are we talking prevention or disaster recovery here? Please enlighten the class what the "solution" is. How does this differ from any other large scale comprise of systems? Is there another magical way to recover product data that goes poof?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2021

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

xtal posted:

yea easy peasy, i will just restore from backups, it will also fix the original vulnerability i had in the system as if by magic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you dont have to fix the vuln, just restore from backups again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

given the state of average backup, restoring from one should gently caress the destination system hard enough that no one could penetrate it, not even immediate users

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xtal posted:

Backups are the *only* recourse **once you've been hit** yes. You're still missing the point.
RTO from scratch for most orgs is loving weeks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The big advantage of a password manager is that it makes the biggest and least-followed piece of advice achievable: don't use the same password twice.

1. Generation
2. Storage
3. Entry/recall

A ton of effort gets spent on 1 and 2 (dice! Use a notebook! Memorize a passphrase!). When honestly the real issue and barrier to using unique passwords has always been #3.

The third had always been the hardest to achieve because the situations where you need to enter a password are constantly changing (phones, browsers, in-app, devices, travelling, emergencies) and getting locked out is a huge pain point.

Just saying "use the browser store" ignores reality. Password managers are the best/safest solution to #3 compared to the alternatives.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so the threat is that they'll leak our data

and nothing on the internet is ever lost

so if i don't patch this vuln i get free lifetime backups?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

The big advantage of a password manager is that it makes the biggest and least-followed piece of advice achievable: don't use the same password twice.

1. Generation
2. Storage
3. Entry/recall

A ton of effort gets spent on 1 and 2 (dice! Use a notebook! Memorize a passphrase!). When honestly the real issue and barrier to using unique passwords has always been #3.

The third had always been the hardest to achieve because the situations where you need to enter a password are constantly changing (phones, browsers, in-app, devices, travelling, emergencies) and getting locked out is a huge pain point.

Just saying "use the browser store" ignores reality. Password managers are the best/safest solution to #3 compared to the alternatives.

are you aware that browser pw managers can suggest strong, randomised passwords these days

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

you dont have to fix the vuln, just restore from backups again

at an msp I worked at I had a coworker assigned to a client who did just that 2x before management sent someone who knew what they were doing to lock things down

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you aware that browser pw managers can suggest strong, randomised passwords these days

they normally don't have good workflows for entry and recall for things other than websites, though. even if a password is _also_ used for a website, it's a lot easier to dig my native instruments password out of 1pass than it is safari, chrome, etc

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

they normally don't have good workflows for entry and recall for things other than websites, though. even if a password is _also_ used for a website, it's a lot easier to dig my native instruments password out of 1pass than it is safari, chrome, etc

yeah if i used chrome passwords and wanted to sign into a desktop app i'd have to copy/paste from passwords.google.com to said desktop app, then clear from clipboard history

1password i just drag

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've stored disk encryption passwords in 1password using the mobile stuff to access the desktop stuff and I sure as hell am not counting on my browser storage to handle these cases well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

Buff Hardback posted:

yeah if i used chrome passwords and wanted to sign into a desktop app i'd have to copy/paste from passwords.google.com to said desktop app, then clear from clipboard history

1password i just drag

that is as much as i said already, yes, that browser pw manager sucks if your use case is non-browser desktop application. i just don't believe something like that is a common use case for an average person these days

cinci zoo sniper posted:

either way it boils down to if you ever need app password on a normal computer, if not then just use chrome/edge/keychain implementation

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that is as much as i said already, yes, that browser pw manager sucks if your use case is non-browser desktop application. i just don't believe something like that is a common use case for an average person these days

My VPN client.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah the browser password managers seem okay in themselves nowadays but once you take backup/syncing into consideration I don't think it really makes sense to use them compared to other options.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Browser password managers break down as soon as you have a computer and a phone with different browsers, you don’t even need to get mobile/desktop apps involved.

I use bitwarden and it seems to be fine? it doesn’t inject anything until I click on something in the chrome area of the browser (or via the iPhone keychain stuff), though I should do the dev tools thing and see if it actually does page injection. anyone know offhand?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
edge syncs its passwords to microsoft authenticator which you can use as an ios password manager

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Using your phone's built in password manager you still can't sign-in to some stupid app that logs you out a few months after you start using it so it's not like we're starting from a strong technical position in the first place.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gaukler posted:

Browser password managers break down as soon as you have a computer and a phone with different browsers, you don’t even need to get mobile/desktop apps involved.

I use bitwarden and it seems to be fine? it doesn’t inject anything until I click on something in the chrome area of the browser (or via the iPhone keychain stuff), though I should do the dev tools thing and see if it actually does page injection. anyone know offhand?

I still scratch my head at people using the browser on a phone at all. What do you do in the browser that you can't have a better experience with the corresponding app? Even the people in my life without computers rarely use a browser for anything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sickening posted:

I still scratch my head at people using the browser on a phone at all. What do you do in the browser that you can't have a better experience with the corresponding app? Even the people in my life without computers rarely use a browser for anything.
We've finally found the person who sees the "install the app" popup and says "why yes I will, thank you."

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Mostly for random poo poo I usually want to do on my desktop and don’t do often enough on my phone to warrant installing an app for? on the flip side I’m not sure why everyone loves installing apps for everything when all it’s doing is wrapping a web view anyway, we’ve already got browsers

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gaukler posted:

I’m not sure why everyone loves installing apps for everything when all it’s doing is wrapping a web view anyway

won't somebody please think of the mobile 'developers' employment

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

won't somebody please think of the mobile 'developers' employment

I am, I want them gone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i already have the browser. if i can't comfortably do it with that, it's probably not something i need to do on my phone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sickening posted:

:rudebox:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

Is the app available on f-droid?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sickening posted:

youtube won't show me ads

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

why the gently caress do I need an "app" for a goddamn website

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

why the gently caress do I need an "app" for a goddamn website

I need you to calm down bucko.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

do i look like i know what an apk is

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sickening posted:

Ah yes, the native app that's definitely not just a cross platform webkit wrapper. I am delighted to do so always!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Come on, it's not just a webkit wrapper.

It's a webkit wrapper that also scrapes a bunch of identifiers that ordinary web pages aren't allowed to access.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jabor posted:

Come on, it's not just a webkit wrapper.

It's a webkit wrapper that also scrapes a bunch of identifiers that ordinary web pages aren't allowed to access.

It's also by design completely controlled by Apple in the case of ios and may be removed for any or no reason arbitrarily without warning and without recourse as a feature :)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sickening posted:

do you also sign up for the newsletter when prompted

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its not just a newsletter its a FREE one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

I can't be the 1 millionth visitor for a free ipod nano in an app