Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just finished Penitent, and I think I a) cheated myself out of some of the impact of the big reveal by looking forward to it too much and scrutinizing/theorycrafting a whole lot in my head, and b) the writing kinda set it up a bit.

The SINGLE thing that threw me off that assumption was that I couldn't see any sense in the eldar sending five loving craftworlds to stop Valdor loving around in the warp NOW when an Imperium split by civil war was loving around with the warp AND the webway in M3x and they didn't do squat.

The Imperium wasn't split the whole time and there seemed to be a whole lot of bad juju as all four chaos gods went whole hog at the eternity gate.
Can easily see eldar farseers NOPEing at what's happening there.

Master of Mankind had some good bits where a rogue mechanicus skitarri unit sees gates being sealed up and hitting booby traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finally starting Mortis and about Katsuhiro: wasn't he dying with no hope of help while watching two Alpha Legion spies infiltrate the deeper palace a few books ago?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arbite posted:

Finally starting Mortis and about Katsuhiro: wasn't he dying with no hope of help while watching two Alpha Legion spies infiltrate the deeper palace a few books ago?

at the end of Tje Lost and the Damned he barely makes it inside the helios gate, just in time to see the one alpha legion operative (who we never see again) impersonate an imperial officer and disappear.

next book he's guarding plague town or whatever the gently caress they called it, the sector infected by the death guard, and getting to see Keeler perform some emperor magic.

and in Mortis he's back on the walls again. god drat games workshop for making me care about him

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The SINGLE thing that threw me off that assumption was that I couldn't see any sense in the eldar sending five loving craftworlds to stop Valdor loving around in the warp NOW when an Imperium split by civil war was loving around with the warp AND the webway in M3x and they didn't do squat.

The argument being that they're incredibly self-centred, and always have been. They didn't care then because they knew (literally knew, through the power of foresight) that they'd survive the Heresy. The very fact they've got involved and sent five Craftworlds means yes, they've checked, and if they don't, they know it ends Extremely Badly For Them.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

The argument being that they're incredibly self-centred, and always have been. They didn't care then because they knew (literally knew, through the power of foresight) that they'd survive the Heresy. The very fact they've got involved and sent five Craftworlds means yes, they've checked, and if they don't, they know it ends Extremely Badly For Them.

Or they don't know because it's a city in a blank generated bubble. Either way is an equal cause for concern for the faction whose whole civilization is built upon magic prediction.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Shockeh posted:

The imperium was doing a extermination program of the eldar during the crusade, every craft world most expedition fleets came across was exterminated. Why would they do anything but let the heresy play out and save their strength to fight/influence the winner.

The imperium is extremely xenocidal / genocidal and I doubt anyone who isn’t a human actually wants the emperors purge of all non human life in the galaxy to get back on track….. except eldrad for some reason because he is a weirdo but this might fit his infatuation with the eldar death cult in modern 40K.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zasze posted:

The imperium was doing a extermination program of the eldar during the crusade, every craft world most expedition fleets came across was exterminated. Why would they do anything but let the heresy play out and save their strength to fight/influence the winner.

The imperium is extremely xenocidal / genocidal and I doubt anyone who isn’t a human actually wants the emperors purge of all non human life in the galaxy to get back on track….. except eldrad for some reason because he is a weirdo but this might fit his infatuation with the eldar death cult in modern 40K.

He probably made a reasonable assumption that getting burnt by genocidal monkeys and going to Space Elf afterlife was better than getting your body and soul eaten by daemons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zasze posted:

I'm going with 'Xenocidal humans are easily fooled / manipulated / don't actually devour your soul when they kill you'. The Imperium is the lesser of two Evils.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zasze posted:

I am aware of only two craftworlds that got exploded during the great crusade, one of which (supposedly) instigated aggression first.

The imperium probably didn't care too much about craftworlds because what the Imperium actually wants/wanted was lebensraum, and craftworlds could just gently caress out of contested territory.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 7, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I'm thinking "Massive Crusade fleet led by Primarch coming this way" is the sort of thing every Farseer on a craftworld ought to be able to see coming in plenty of time to GTFO.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah I'm thinking "Massive Crusade fleet led by Primarch coming this way" is the sort of thing every Farseer on a craftworld ought to be able to see coming in plenty of time to GTFO.

Eldar are extremely arrogant and until the heresy they didn't really understand the power of the imperial war machine.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

At the time of the Crusade the birth of Slaanesh was still relatively recent, since that was the event that blew out the warp storms and enabled the Emperor’s plans to move forward. They were probably still reeling from the annihilation of their culture and not really paying as close attention to mon-keigh as they should have.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I thought the birth of Slaanesh is what caused the Age of Darkness in the first place

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought the birth of Slaanesh is what caused the Age of Darkness in the first place

No- while the Age of Strife/Long Night is deliberately vague with multiple possible sources (some of which are compatible with each other) it is still canon that Slaanesh’s birth was a massive shockwave that blew out the warp storms that had engulfed much of the galaxy.

Those storms, gathering in advance of Slaanesh’s birth as it stirred in its nascency, might have been a partial cause of the Age of Strife, but when Slaanesh appeared the storms all blew themselves out and the remaining ones coalesced into the Eye of Terror, around the heart of the old elder empire

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Eldar murder-hosed old night into existence, like a stank haze engulfing the galaxy.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slaneesh's gestation/birth pangs caused age of strife and then the birth itself blew out the warp storms.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ula-insurgency/

A quick blurb about the upcoming Gaunt's Ghosts novel and some info on the next Sabbat Anthology and Matt Farrer's full length Sabbat Crusade novel about the Urdesh campaign. I'm particularly excited about the Farrer novel since I went back to reread Headstone and the Inheritor short stories and Urdesh felt quite underdeveloped for being a ten year long warzone.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mortis posted:

He looked as dangerous as a breath of air.

Now, I wonder when that line was written...

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Arbite posted:

He was! And I’m sad that that plot has apparently been abandoned, now he’s just another generic boots on the ground guy.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ghazghkull LE came in. Already hooked me in the 2nd chapter when it revealed the metal plate in his head is the arse plate of a terminator

Not to mention the Inquisitor interrogating Makari has a rune priest and a smart, psychic female ogryn in her retinue and is being assisted by a blood axe "intelligents officer"

When things get particularly orky the book does this:

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 10, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
That's awesome but also I like your reading area.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My eyes hurt from reading. This book is sooooooo good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished. This is one of my favorite black library books now. This is to orks what Lords of Silence is to the Death Guard.

Absolutely loved it. This is Nate Crowley's first full length BL novel and I am now extremely excited for his next one.

It tells the story of Ghazghkull from crawling out of his spawning hole to what happens after Ragnar beheads him. Maybe more importantly, it tells Makari's story too.

Get excited for the regular release and don't sleep on this book.

Frogcroakley
Jun 11, 2021

Ave citizens

D-Pad posted:

Just finished. This is one of my favorite black library books now. This is to orks what Lords of Silence is to the Death Guard.

Absolutely loved it. This is Nate Crowley's first full length BL novel and I am now extremely excited for his next one.

It tells the story of Ghazghkull from crawling out of his spawning hole to what happens after Ragnar beheads him. Maybe more importantly, it tells Makari's story too.

Hey, I'm Nate - thanks a million for enjoying the book so much! Gravitas Shortfall, who is my mate, pointed out your post to me and it properly made my day.

Been thinking of registering on here for a while since I used to read a lot years ago, and that tipped my decision. Not gonna lie, I've been wanting to talk about that book for ages, so I'm well excited for people to read it.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
in your next ork book make a grot character based on Lowtax

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 11, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
HE’S A GOON NOW.

(Seriously, the amount of goon adoption is always adorable, welcome aboard!)

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Countdown until someone weirds him out enough to leave again. :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

D-Pad posted:

I've never read an ork book, but that kind of an endorsement is making me want to pick one up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Frogcroakley posted:

Hey, I'm Nate - thanks a million for enjoying the book so much! Gravitas Shortfall, who is my mate, pointed out your post to me and it properly made my day.

Been thinking of registering on here for a while since I used to read a lot years ago, and that tipped my decision. Not gonna lie, I've been wanting to talk about that book for ages, so I'm well excited for people to read it.

Ah man that's awesome! Welcome aboard. I actually already tweeted you about how much I enjoyed it and you replied but it's good to have you here. This is the thread that got me into 40k 4 years ago.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've never read an ork book, but that kind of an endorsement is making me want to pick one up.

Go ahead and pick up Brutal Kunnin'. It's a really good ork book by another great new BL author, Mike Brooks. It will probably be another couple of months until the regular edition of Ghazghkull comes out so check it out first.

Frogcroakley
Jun 11, 2021

Ave citizens
Doubly endorsing Brutal Kunnin' - it's great, and so is Mike.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll just have to throw the Ghaz book to my christmas shopping list. Alongside Gitslayer and the new Sabbat Crusade Anthology.

Also started re-reading Titanicus on a whim. I think the best part is that because the book came out before the AdMech codexes the Skitarii are proper weird. And not just robot guys in robes with radioactive guns. Plenty of mentions of pelts and plumes and them behaving like wild beasts. It's rad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Frogcroakley posted:

congrats goon author. i have question though. is it coming to audible?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/11/get-to-know-argel-tal-the-word-bearer-who-really-changed-on-his-gap-year/

They made an Argel Tal model! I'm sorely tempted to pick him and a squad of gal vorbak up for my 40k Word Bearers.

Frogcroakley
Jun 11, 2021

Ave citizens

Dapper_Swindler posted:

congrats goon author. i have question though. is it coming to audible?

Alas, I have no idea on that front - bloody hope so, though.

To be honest, once the final manuscripts are sent away, I don't tend to know much about formats, print runs and dates.

I do know Ghaz will probably be getting a bigger print run because of how quickly the LE sold out, which is cool - I'd hope that swings things in favour of an audiobook being commissioned, too.

Also, here's a picture I did of paulie walnuts from the sopranos, but as a titan. Seemed the right thing to do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Frogcroakley posted:

What purchase option puts the most money in your pocket? I'd like to pick it up myself, but I'm undecided on which format/version.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:five:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frogcroakley posted:

Hey, I'm Nate - thanks a million for enjoying the book so much!

Been reading your other books and the world and characters are really fantastic. That poor alien squid monster, abandoned and enslaved.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I also picked up the Uncle Ghaz book. I need to finish reading something else first, but I'm very excited for Orks

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Frogcroakley posted:

how quickly the LE sold out,
We are not gonna discuss how much i just paid a loving scalper for it because of the praise in this thread. Not counting some Aleister Crowley books that have been OoP since basically WW2 its the most I've ever paid for a book.

First time actually touching my COVID bucks so meh.

Edit:my keyboard hates bbcode tags.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Huh, a bunch of Gaunt's Ghosts stuff goes on preorder today and apparently GW implemented a queue system that puts you in a random place in line to buy stuff when it goes live? So ... Basically a sort of raffle system? That seems wack.