Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The one possible "good" thing I could see would be an extension of that one project where a buttcoin miner stuck a big generator onto the gas that had previously been going to a flare stack.

If the state incentivized capturing leaking methane and converting it to power, even if that power were just wasted on Bitcoin, it would still be a net good since methane is a stupidly strong greenhouse gas. There are tons of abandoned wellheads and infrastructure out there spewing natural gas. The NYTimes did a fantastic article documenting such leaks using a camera tuned to an absorption line of methane which I highly recommend reading.

Of course that won't happen in this state and even if it did what would actually end up happening is people would buy a gas well or small field, cut off the flares and output pipelines for a month causing the entire output to vent to atmosphere, and then claim the incentives for fixing the "leaks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
When I worked for the TCEQ we had a whole project of going out with thermal cameras to document tank leaks

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Beto sucks but I really wish that rear end in a top hat would run for governor and win

My magic 8-ball says "Governor West."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IT BURNS posted:

My magic 8-ball says "Governor West."

Having a convicted war criminal as a governor is pretty on brand for Texas, tbh.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Numlock posted:

Really though why would any miner setup in Texas knowing their power could cut out for weeks because a weak tropicl storm comes up the gulf or the temp drops below 65, or jumps above 90, or just because.

Also lol how many jobs does he think this will create? Maybe a dozen across the whole state?

And they'll definitely want to set up in a place that hits 3 digit Temps on the regular. Those mining rigs definitely aren't known for choosing cold locations because they produce a poo poo ton of heat and natural cooling is free.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kunabomber posted:

Edit 2: for hard packed clay lawns full of garbage fill soil that is endemic with all developments, buffalo grass is incredibly difficult

I ended up buying a few boxes of red wriggler bait worms and just tossing them in my front and back yard in the faint hope it'd eventually solve that very issue.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I can't wait for the first bitcoin crash due to a tornado taking out a mining center.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abbott doesn't stand for me. Anybody else is better.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
*monkey paw curls and Rick Perry comes back*

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
yes please

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drake no:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Taniel/status/1401394348814737414

drake yes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Elections_Daily/status/1401338553930588163

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It really doesn't seem like the RGV flip is an anomaly at this point.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

how is blockchain even an industry in the first place?

It takes gobs of electricity and is therefore fossil fuel intensive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ReidRansom posted:

It takes gobs of electricity and is therefore fossil fuel intensive.

No, Bitcoin and other cryptos are an industry. Blockchain is a technology, cryptos are merely one application of it.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

lmao

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

No, Bitcoin and other cryptos are an industry. Blockchain is a technology, cryptos are merely one application of it.

I am aware there are less energy-intensive applications for bloackchain technology. Abbott's chief, and probably only concern is moving more money into the pockets of gop donor ghouls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dameius posted:

Having a convicted war criminal as a governor is pretty on brand for Texas, tbh.

Sitting down to think about the best Texas governors and remembering our most heroic one was the slaver secessionist who got deposed for going "cmon y'all the north is going to win"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well Texas history has cool stories for our governors, who are far too often blatant criminals.

Like a guy that committed crimes that led to him being impeached, and then arguing that because he left office before the judgment was rendered, he was still eligible to hold office. Then the courts disagreed and he was barred from public office. He then went on to continue to be a major force in Texas politics, and having his wife run for (and win) governor. She would then "rely on him for advice", lol

(James Ferguson and Miriam "Ma" Ferguson).

Other fun story is that he withheld money for the University of Texas because they wouldn't remove a journalist from the faculty; the journalist had said negative things about Ferguson in the press.

So, ya know, Trump is nothing new for us Texans!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ima hogg has been very unfair to me. very unfair!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

That's not 100% true; the current mayor, Jim Darling, is a Republican, or at least a Republican-lite/RINO. It is, however, part of a bigger trend and I doubt that Vincente Gonzalez will be re-elected.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

ima hogg has been very unfair to me. very unfair!

My dad used to tell me a lame joke about how Governor Hogg had two daughter: Ima and Ura. Turns out it was only 50% a joke.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exact same story from my dad as well

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I always heard the sister's name was Hoosa.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I love that it seems to be a rite of passage for young Texans to hear this from their parents. My mom told me the exact same joke.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just imagine all the Totally Original Jokes©®™ Do Not Steal©®™ that you'd get attending or worming at Hogg middle school in Houston.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Their football team must cause a lot of chaos with their main offensive players wearing jerseys numbered 1, 2, and 4.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

My dad used to tell me a lame joke about how Governor Hogg had two daughter: Ima and Ura. Turns out it was only 50% a joke.

ima hogg's house is pretty cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sir Tonk posted:

Bit of a sty though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

jesus christ

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

they made it into a decorative arts museum it's really cool, highly recommend

e: also I heard the Ima and Ura version of the joke

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait till you see Ura's

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

That's not 100% true; the current mayor, Jim Darling, is a Republican, or at least a Republican-lite/RINO. It is, however, part of a bigger trend and I doubt that Vincente Gonzalez will be re-elected.

On one hand I'm glad Othal Brand Jr. didn't win by a hilariously wide margin because gently caress familial dynasties, on the other the guy that had the most compassionate/humanist approach to our refugee crisis, a straight up medical doctor, was also near dead last because his last name was Rashid.

Villalobos won't be any different from other McAllen mayors in the sense that they don't really hold any power and he's just another in a long line of dipshits that cater to retail and box stores to entice the richer sect of Mexicans to shop in McAllen and keep people's wages here in the loving dirt. No long term goals of actually trying to have an industry infrastructure that brings in higher wages and you're going to continue to have young people still just straight up leave.

The only problem with that is now other bigger cities in Texas have less places to live affordably.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm currently apartment hunting in plano/frisco/colony and multiple places have the listed average rents for places at like one price, but when you go to check the rent for a specific unit it's 2-400 bucks higher, and rents are higher for longer lease terms. One specific unit was 1400 for the floor plan, the listed rent for 11 months was 1600 and the 13 month lease was 1800

There really doesn't seem to be any good options under a grand for a one br apartment within 15 minutes of my work in northwest plano

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol holy cow I've never seen the longer lease being more expensive

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that they might raise or lower rent based on the ending date of a lease. Out in CA they told me that having a lease end when college started was a bad idea because landlords jack up rates around then for students. I don’t know if it’s true, but it made sense in a capitalist hellworld way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I saw the same the last time I was apartment hunting, and the explanation at the time was that they try to give tenants incentive to take the lease length the complex needs so as not to have a bunch of units emptying at once. It staggers move-outs, basically.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

jokes posted:

I think that they might raise or lower rent based on the ending date of a lease. Out in CA they told me that having a lease end when college started was a bad idea because landlords jack up rates around then for students. I don’t know if it’s true, but it made sense in a capitalist hellworld way.

It's hard to get a lease not ending in the summer for that reason. We signed our rental home lease in December, but they require all leases to end in the summer - so we're here until June 2022 (though hopefully longer).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1401974681838800903

I think people are way overestimating the significance of the McAllen mayoral race here but lot at targeting a bunch of valley DINOs you can replace with republicans who are exactly as conservative as they are. Ryan Guillen lmao, he co-sponsored the loving con carry bill. Did any of these reps break quorum?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

With the caveat that I obviously want actually progressive Dems, just give me someone who reliably votes the lovely way you expect them to. I’m tired of seeing a million headlines—federal or local—like “Manchin votes no on <good Dem legislation>” and that dominating the discourse. OH HE DID IM SO SHOCKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
itd be really nice if we could knock down the facade of conservative Dems being anything other than solid R votes so people can finally accept what a deficit we're actually in electorally.