Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

While we’re having couch chat, has anyone used a BenchMade Modern couch? I really like a lot of their styles and they’re pretty well reviewed, but man that’s a lot for a sight unseen piece of furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

peanut posted:

It looks fantastic, but I usually hear 焼杉板 pronounced as yaki sugi ita on the JP home remodeling shows. You can be extra cool with this knowledge.

"Yakisugi is a traditional Japanese method of wood preservation. Yaki means to heat with fire, and sugi is cypress. It is also referred to in the West as burnt timber cladding and also known as Shou Sugi Ban which uses the same kanji characters but an incorrect pronunciation. The ban character means "plank". Wikipedia"

Oh that is good stuff. I’ve had seen it written as “shou sugi ban” basically everywhere but had seen it referred to as yakisugi when i saw a documentary on it. Being incredibly lazy, I never went back and figured out the distinction. This explains it well. Thanks!!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm about to move to North Carolina. Since it seems like loving everything is made in NC... is furniture cheaper there?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

I'm about to move to North Carolina. Since it seems like loving everything is made in NC... is furniture cheaper there?
North Carolina, especially the western half of the state around Hickory, has historically been a a big center of the furniture industry in the US and is kind of the last remaining one. Close proximity to lots of good hardwoods in the appalachians and cheap labor are what got it started 100 yrs ago, and it’s been through it’s ups and downs since then. Grand Rapids, Michigan used to have a big furniture industry, as did SW Virginia (which still does, to some extent). NW Mississippi around Tupelo used to make bunches of cheap upholstered furnitures too.

It’s mostly only upholstery that gets made in the US now. Most of it is made/upholstered to order and so upholstery needs shorter turnaround times than are possible with overseas manufacturing. With more rapidly changing consumer tastes and more desire for custom sizing etc., more higher-end places like Room & Board etc. are increasingly using domestic manufacturing even for tables and stuff.

Italy is the North Carolina of Europe as far as furniture manufacturing goes, and some of the biggest and best manufacturers of woodworking machinery are Italianfor that reason. Indonesia and increasingly China and Vietnam all have big contract manufacturing export furniture industries. They can import US hardwoods, turn them into furniture, and ship them back to the US cheaper than it can be manufactured here.

The big huge decorator/furniture show every year is the High Point market in High Point, NC. It’s like fashion week for interior design.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I currently live in NC, and I don't have direct comparisons but I would imagine yes. There's tons of retailers, manufacturers, and warehouses so at minimum you're saving on shipping costs. If you're happy with floor models or last year's styles, there's outlets galore.

High Point is the Center of the Furniture Universe. It's home of the High Point Furniture Market, which is a trade show that attracts professionals from around the world. It's a really big deal, like to the tune of billions of dollars of economic impact to the state. The actual event is industry only, but the surrounding area has tons of retailers. If you're in the RDU area, Glenwood Ave has piles of furniture stores all up and down it.

edit: oddly enough, the only IKEA is in Charlotte. They were going to open one in Cary (which would have taken over a dead mall), but they ditched that plan a while ago and now that dead mall was just bought up by Epic Games. I've known people to get a trailer and make a day out of going to IKEA, and there are even local businesses that will shop IKEA for you and haul it back for way cheaper than shipping.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 7, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Sweet, my mom, dad and oldest brother all live in NC now too (up in the mountains just north of Hickory) and I've visited and seen the plethora of furniture places so that'll be nice. I'm moving to Raleigh/Durham but that's not too far away.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah NC is super common for room and board, also I think there's a decent amount of manufacturers in Vermont.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BadSamaritan posted:

While we’re having couch chat, has anyone used a BenchMade Modern couch? I really like a lot of their styles and they’re pretty well reviewed, but man that’s a lot for a sight unseen piece of furniture.

Decent (plywood construction with sinusoidal springs, assembled in the US), but at the same price you can probably get a bunch of other couches that you could sit in before you purchase.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

Bantam sofa and milo baughman recliner. I got them six years ago. The bantam seat foam needed to be replaced last year, but it’s been solid and comfortable otherwise. It wasn’t my first choice from DWR, but it was the best at the time for the size constraints of the place we were in and for what was available from their outlet. I think I would maybe get a different model now though if we needed to replace it since we have more space.

The recliner is very comfy for my height and weight. I got it in the teal linen fabric when it popped up in their eBay store, which is great for the heat of the long summer where I live. I feel nice and cool sitting in it even if it’s 80 inside. If it disappeared and I needed a new lounge chair or recliner, I’d buy it again

oh that's cool, the 86" bantam at my store is being floored right now for like 2100 (omg that's more than 15% off!!!!)

If anyone is looking for something with a Scandinavian theme and you want more options, check out Danish Design Store

example https://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/zoller-scope-2-seat-sofa-sofas-softline

check out how may fabric options they have, I very roughly estimated its more than 600

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations on a ventless-all-in-one washer/dryer? I know these are a lot more common in europe, but I'm interested in building out a bunch of shelving in our laundry space and it seems that if they're not all garbage that it would be a no brainer solution. Also, I like the idea of taking a step out of that particular chore.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 8, 2021

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I have never met a combo washer/dryer I liked. They take 4-6 hours for 1 load and nothing ever gets truly dry.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Here's a couple articles I read recently when I was researching compact/ventless (but not combo):
- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-compact-washer-and-dryer/
- https://www.designerappliances.com/blog/best-compact-washer-dryer-for-apartments/

Haven't picked one yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My parents have a bosch stackable, but not a combo. Its been pretty good, but it is slow as balls. Like 2 hours? Very small capacities too.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The washing machine that was here when I bought the house is old as balls, but it whips through loads in 10 minutes and everything gets clean.

Dryer does a good job too, my first experience with a gas one coming from electric.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

nm posted:

My parents have a bosch stackable, but not a combo. Its been pretty good, but it is slow as balls. Like 2 hours? Very small capacities too.

Yeah, I don't really care about how long it takes - that's never been a criteria for us. I think for me the sweet spot would be a standard size (3+ cubic feet) and I really don't care if it takes 5 hours to run since I'd just set it before work and leave. My only concerns are if they're only available in compact sizes and if they're prone to dying...so far it just seems like there's not even close to as many options out here in the US as I saw in europe or asia.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Because our kitchen isn't where our washer is so we have enough space to have 2 machines with a vent and not worry about it taking forever?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, I don't really care about how long it takes - that's never been a criteria for us. I think for me the sweet spot would be a standard size (3+ cubic feet) and I really don't care if it takes 5 hours to run since I'd just set it before work and leave. My only concerns are if they're only available in compact sizes and if they're prone to dying...so far it just seems like there's not even close to as many options out here in the US as I saw in europe or asia.

Our houses are bigger and our power is cheaper. We're also more likely to be in single family homes where mostly it is easy run a vent and even in apartments, running vents is not uncommon. Which makes them rare.
The Boschs are like 5 years old. Again, they're stackable, not an all-in-one so I don't know if that makes them more problematic.
Probably get one with a heat pump, they're more energy efficent.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deviant posted:

i put in a claim with my homeowners regarding my roof damage, due to a hailstorm. they denied the claim, citing the damage was under my deductible.

except they used my hurricane deductible of $5500 and not my standard $1000 deductible.

place your bets on how easily this'll unfuck itself tomorrow.

Update: so far i can only get voice mail on my claims adjuster. this is going very well so far. if these people don't think i'll lawyer up over $4500, they are sadly mistaken.

Some deductibles are for wind AND hail. Do you have a copy of your policy, or at least the partial that they send with the declarations page every year?

Or - PM me. I'm an insurance adjuster.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have compact stackable washer/ventless dryer and they're great. So nice to have a bunch of space for storage that having full size w/d took up. Storage is at a premium for us since our place is ~1000sf

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Just over here lamenting that our closet built ins are very stupidly placed and entirely too small to store anything meaningful.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have compact stackable washer/ventless dryer and they're great. So nice to have a bunch of space for storage that having full size w/d took up. Storage is at a premium for us since our place is ~1000sf

I bought a small house (1200sqft) and the dryer that conveyed with it runs at one setting and the timer doesn't work. It's big and has a ridiculous ducting setup where the duct runs up behind it, over the unit and down onto the floor in front of it to a cubby to vent outside. It wastes space out in our garage that we could use for something else. I'm also constantly paranoid about lint trap fires. Looks like getting rid of this half functioning POS for a a heat pump ventless dryer is the way to go.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's no way in hell I would have used 4,598.000 kWh in 62 days, right? I don't even remember submitting my first meter reading but the bill says 3837 and today it was 8555. I have a feeling whoever submitted it goofed and meant 8337.

This is the meter.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How big of a house and where?

Edit: noticed the Manitoba label so assuming probably not the desert. Yeah that might be off.

I'm in the 1-2000 kWh range in Arizona in the summer.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Settle a dispute for me: my husband wants to be cute and mix up only part of a $30 bag of mortar for the $500+ we spent on tiles and material, and not back butter these 12" x 24" tiles because *-*reasons*-*

Seems pretty stupid to me but maybe I'm just concerned over nothing?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Vintersorg posted:

There's no way in hell I would have used 4,598.000 kWh in 62 days, right? I don't even remember submitting my first meter reading but the bill says 3837 and today it was 8555. I have a feeling whoever submitted it goofed and meant 8337.

This is the meter.

I mean that's pretty high, but not like impossibly high for a 2 month span depending on certain things. Odd you see that in the springtime, though.

Our peak single month in the past year was 1,600 kWh, and that was like August. We're in the US Southeast where it's hot/humid in the summer and we have the A/C set to like 73 during the day. 2000 sq ft house, 2 zone HVAC, electric oven/range and electric dryer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

This is the meter.

Was it 0 when you got it because if so that's only twice as much. Are you running any big loads? Electric car? AC? Heat? What's the instantaneous draw? (ours cycles from ID to Kwh total to draw.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok I called Hydro again and....... my builder hosed up. He never once submitted a reading so they had to guess so they went 3837. They came by on April 5th and got the reading at 7808! So now they are going to adjust my bill and his too for this. Thank god I called again - the rep this morning basically told me to deal with it but the one this afternooon actually looked into things and hlped me out.

While we took possession April 1st we didn't really move in and live here till May 2nd (I was looking at every single picture I took - TAKE PICTURES PEOPLE). So that's about 700w since I did pop in time to time in April for stuff and they were putting up the siding still and in May used those giant concrete fan things to smooth the garage.

PS they still aren't done and there's a big list of things they have to do. We have to check out contract to see how long they have - i've read it's about 26 weeks but I want to be sure. Still need our deck built, stairs from the garage to inside (we currently have to jump about a 2 feet down), adjust the garage door one isn't fully sealed (water got in), fix the garage door openers as they don't close unless we hold the button down, add the shakes to the front, complete the trim on a cabinet and other poo poo.

gently caress. Owning a house sucks.
e:

H110Hawk posted:

Was it 0 when you got it because if so that's only twice as much. Are you running any big loads? Electric car? AC? Heat? What's the instantaneous draw? (ours cycles from ID to Kwh total to draw.)

Builder was using our power before possession since Hydro came by to install things.

Also I use the term Hydro as they are called Manitoba Hydro... :3: Fortunate to have government power... although our current gently caress heads are doing everything in their power to privatize it.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2021

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Today I discovered the previous owner bothered to use painters tape on the ceiling when painting walls, but did not bother to remove it and apparently just painted over it. So as I'm peeling off my tape after cutting in, I see that I'm also taking a nice chunk of the ceiling as well in a perfect masking tape-sized line :cripes:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Are you sure that's painters tape and not drywall tape?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bingo Bango posted:

Today I discovered the previous owner bothered to use painters tape on the ceiling when painting walls, but did not bother to remove it and apparently just painted over it. So as I'm peeling off my tape after cutting in, I see that I'm also taking a nice chunk of the ceiling as well in a perfect masking tape-sized line :cripes:

Classic previous owner move! Mine just did the oil over latex/latex over oil trick in my guest bedroom so the ceiling is constantly peeling and I can’t be bothered to fix it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BonerGhost posted:

Settle a dispute for me: my husband wants to be cute and mix up only part of a $30 bag of mortar for the $500+ we spent on tiles and material, and not back butter these 12" x 24" tiles because *-*reasons*-*

Seems pretty stupid to me but maybe I'm just concerned over nothing?

This is very short sighted. The manufacturer should have installation guidelines for the tile. Large Format Tiles, should be installed using mortar designed for LFT's, and be backbuttered. You really need good solid coverage with the larger tiles.

Vintersorg posted:

I know you got this sorted already, but just for reference the most electricity I have ever used in a single month was 2900 kWh. That was in South Texas, in August. I have a 3400 sq ft house and my 2 AC units pretty much ran non stop for a month straight. I mean it's doable

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

skipdogg posted:

This is very short sighted. The manufacturer should have installation guidelines for the tile. Large Format Tiles, should be installed using mortar designed for LFT's, and be backbuttered. You really need good solid coverage with the larger tiles.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty against not following the instructions but his dad wants to half rear end it too, so I guess they're half assing it.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

SpartanIvy posted:

Are you sure that's painters tape and not drywall tape?

I thought it was drywall tape when I was priming, but when it came up there was another layer of paint underneath (blue ceilings were a... bold choice).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

skipdogg posted:

I know you got this sorted already, but just for reference the most electricity I have ever used in a single month was 2900 kWh. That was in South Texas, in August. I have a 3400 sq ft house and my 2 AC units pretty much ran non stop for a month straight. I mean it's doable

Haha, oh yeah - for sure doable. This is just a 1350~ sq ft house and 1 AC unit but the winter we run the heat too as it gets to be -10 to -30C (10 to -20F or so). We'll see how hard it goes this year.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BonerGhost posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty against not following the instructions but his dad wants to half rear end it too, so I guess they're half assing it.

I don't get this. I read all the instructions and then I go on YouTube and watch a few videos where people have actually used it and half the time they're like "Make sure to read the instructions and then make sure you do this one thing EVEN MORE than the instructions say because I've had it fail on me". Like, in my experience the instructions are the best case scenario and then best practices are even more stringent than what's in the instructions whereas half-assing it is usually even WORSE than the instructions...

I guess what I'm saying is, even the instructions are only three-quarters assing it, so if you're half-assing from there, you're in an even deeper hole. In doing my bathroom this past year, there have been at least 2 or 3 times where if I hadn't read the instructions 4 times and THEN gone to look online too I would've ruined dozens of hours of previous work.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

mutata posted:

I don't get this. I read all the instructions and then I go on YouTube and watch a few videos where people have actually used it and half the time they're like "Make sure to read the instructions and then make sure you do this one thing EVEN MORE than the instructions say because I've had it fail on me". Like, in my experience the instructions are the best case scenario and then best practices are even more stringent than what's in the instructions whereas half-assing it is usually even WORSE than the instructions...

I guess what I'm saying is, even the instructions are only three-quarters assing it, so if you're half-assing from there, you're in an even deeper hole. In doing my bathroom this past year, there have been at least 2 or 3 times where if I hadn't read the instructions 4 times and THEN gone to look online too I would've ruined dozens of hours of previous work.

Yeah you know it's weird, literally everyone we've seen use this mortar is like "follow the mixing instructions on the bag, don't screw with it, it's a very specific measurement for a reason" yet here we are. His dad is really confident in this eyeballed bullshit though so if it fails he can fly back up and fix it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BonerGhost posted:

Show them this picture of my hosed up tile installation, and ask if they want to pay to have it all ripped up and redone. My builder's tile guys did a crap job, they ripped up 1200 sq ft of 12x24 tile, ground it all down to bare concrete and had to do it again. No idea what it costs, and it took me 12 months of arguing with them to get them to fix it.

It's a lot cheaper to do tile the right way the first time, but I also recognize that you're not going to win this battle with husband and FIL, so I guess sit back and enjoy the shitshow?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

How does that even proceed without agreement on following the instructions? I would never halfass something if my partner wanted to be more conservative. Wrong forum for that I guess

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah you know it's weird, literally everyone we've seen use this mortar is like "follow the mixing instructions on the bag, don't screw with it, it's a very specific measurement for a reason" yet here we are. His dad is really confident in this eyeballed bullshit though so if it fails he can fly back up and fix it.

Jesus christ. Half assing the floor under tile, or the mortar bed, or anything just seems like such a bad idea to me. I do not want to be stuck chipping out a tile, sourcing a replacement if one cracks, and re-doing any part of a tile installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, unless they've done it thousands of times and it's been fine - I would follow instructions to a T.