Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i like walking, just walking for an hour or two. make it a point to walk in different paths.
be receptive, don't feel bad about not taking any photos.

go through the motions.
always keep a camera on you, and if you question yourself, take the photo anyway.

the art is in the edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

finally got the Jupiter-12 back together correctly. Classic case of you so certain your problem is in one area when it's actually somewhere else completely. Silky smooth now and ready to shoot. Had a bit of help from a friend who was telling me interesting things based on the internals. A lot of it was made in Germany and other parts of it were made for military use. A grab bag of what was lying around the factory.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I have lost all my photography motivation over the last few weeks.

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

How do you guys get out of slumps?

Go through your favourite photobooks, or spend some quality time on another hobby.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I have lost all my photography motivation over the last few weeks.

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

How do you guys get out of slumps?

This might seem out of place, but what's going on in your life right now?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
https://www.camera-traders.com/pages/the-skeleton-zone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

gently caress yes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wrong thread

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 4, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to a camera fair today which is always dangerous and ended up with 2 new cameras. Introducing my new party setup

Pen EE half frame. I'm testing it out right now to see how it's metering. I also got this guy.

A Plaubel Roll-op, 645 with coupled rangefinder. Needs some work but should be an excellent pocket medium format guy. The shutter serial dates it to 1937 so I will forgive it it's current state.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Apparently I've inherited a digital camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix, DMC-FZ28 if that means anything to anyone. Its former owner used it to take photos of planes at air shows. Anyone know anything about this thing that I should be aware of?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dabir posted:

Apparently I've inherited a digital camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix, DMC-FZ28 if that means anything to anyone. Its former owner used it to take photos of planes at air shows. Anyone know anything about this thing that I should be aware of?

Looks like a bridge camera from 2008 or so. 10 megapixels, going to look fine in good, bright light. Don't expect too much, probably not better than a good camera phone these days.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well I actually got a chance to try it today and it's getting pretty decent results to my inexperienced eye, especially with birds and squirrels and stuff that I can't get close to. My phone camera is pretty good, but for some reason it doesn't have a telephoto lens, so being able to zoom in is a godsend. For a direct comparison:

I took this with the camera:

And I took this with my phone (Google Photos copy so not full size cause my USB port is broken atm but you get the idea):

But I took this with the camera:

And the best I could do with my phone was this:

I'll still need to take some time to figure out the settings if I want to get the best possible results, I'm sure I could have made that picture of the house look closer to what my phone got if I fiddled with the exposure or something. That's just what I got from pointing and shooting on intelligent auto mode.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I started out on a Sony A230, a 10 Megapixel camera from around the same period and it was absolutely fine for getting into photography, and it looks like you'll have a great time with it!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm thinking about framing some prints, to give as gifts... and also maybe keep a couple to hang on the wall. Any basic tips? For context, 5 minutes ago I didn't know "matting" was a thing. My first instinct was to go simple: go to the store, buy some properly sized (no borders, then) black/white frames, place the photo inside and be done with it, but it seems like there might be a lot more to it than that!

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I would definitely spring for museum glass (or that’s what’s it’s called here). The non reflective glass. I just got normal glass on some framed work and every time I see the room lights reflected on the photo I realise my terrible mistake.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been shooting a lot of half frame recently and been really enamoured with the look

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 7, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

seravid posted:

I'm thinking about framing some prints, to give as gifts... and also maybe keep a couple to hang on the wall. Any basic tips? For context, 5 minutes ago I didn't know "matting" was a thing. My first instinct was to go simple: go to the store, buy some properly sized (no borders, then) black/white frames, place the photo inside and be done with it, but it seems like there might be a lot more to it than that!

Go to some of the online print companies (mpix, for one) and look at their options. You may not buy thru them, but you'll see what the framing options look like, as well as the print styles that need no frame.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I would definitely spring for museum glass (or that’s what’s it’s called here). The non reflective glass. I just got normal glass on some framed work and every time I see the room lights reflected on the photo I realise my terrible mistake.

Good point, didn't think of that. I'm guessing the cheapo Ikea frames I was looking at are very reflective... and might not even be glass.

torgeaux posted:

Go to some of the online print companies (mpix, for one) and look at their options. You may not buy thru them, but you'll see what the framing options look like, as well as the print styles that need no frame.

I'm going to ask my usual printer to frame one photo on my next order but yeah, it doesn't cost me anything to check what other companies offer. As for prints that don't need a frame, I recently tried metal prints and liked the result. I'll definitely be ordering them again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I covered our living room wall with metal prints, and despite the glare I love the look. Borderless floating mounts just really work for me. I only have a couple paper prints behind glass and they look good, but the saturation is definitely less. I think they'd be better dry mounted with no glass, it feels like they deserve to have the paper texture visible.

For metal mounts, make sure you pick a company and stick with it, as I've tried out three and everyone has a different mount depth.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

seravid posted:

I'm guessing the cheapo Ikea frames I was looking at are very reflective... and might not even be glass.

I have a number of prints in cheap ikea frames with perspex, no objections. It's prone to scratches but that's fine if you look after it, and less risk to the print itself if it breaks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Even if you do scratch it you can easy polish plexiglass with a soft rag and mild abrasive.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Good to know! No reason to be a snob about this, I guess I should just buy a couple of every kind and see what works and what doesn't.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Random question, who here knows cursive writing? I learned as a kid but it’s at the point where the dinosaurs in my state legislature are fighting to mandate that it stays in the curriculum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know it but I haven't used it since 1995 when I graduated high school. It was effectively irrelevant then and now that everyone does everything on a computer it's a complete waste of a student's time.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
When I took the GRE a decade ago they had a statement you needed to write in cursive and then sign, but I don't think they were enforcing it very strictly. Is that still a thing?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
here's me

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Fools Infinite posted:

When I took the GRE a decade ago they had a statement you needed to write in cursive and then sign, but I don't think they were enforcing it very strictly. Is that still a thing?

That rings a bell. I had to write something out today and couldn’t decide if I should go with my childlike printing or slightly less childish cursive.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I learned it, but as an adult, because I had a fountain pen phase. Please stop bullying me.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Big loving same.

The only thing I use cursive for nowadays is my signature. It’s absolutely unnecessary unless you’re into doing nice handwriting, etc. Olds need to let this poo poo go.

Now typing, that should be taught beginning at a young age. It’s the most useful skill I learned in high school.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey Dorkroom, we're having a collab with CCs thunderdome where people are going to take our photos and use them for inspiration for some short stories, you should head over to the Thunderdome Collabaration Thread and post some evocative photos.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New camera day, biggest next to my smallest

Horseman wasn't getting any use so I sold it for the Fuji.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

goodbye horseman, hello workhorse

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've finally finished repairing that Plaubel and have run a test roll through. I'm so happy with it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Went on a business trip to a city I'd never visited before and brought along my camera with only a 50mm, in case I had some free time. I did and it was nice to not carry all my kit. I had a great time, but zooming with your feet has limitations and I lost some shots for sure. Who knows when I'll be back? With that same light and weather?

What do you bring along when visiting new places? A standard zoom? Just a prime (or two) ? Everything?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Depends what I'm doing there. If it's just a city visit then I'd take my mid range zoom jack of all lens. But if I'm gonna be going to a zoo or its the countryside then I often take the bulk of my zooms but I'll not bring my primes.

I love my primes but I'd rather lose sharpness than lose shots.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I hosed around with hard drives and somehow my lightroom catalog basically lost itself and found itself and I've lost all the edits and keywords to all my photos since May.

A good lesson to learn now rather than later I suppose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The catalog is a single file somewhere on your hard drive, if you can locate the version with your edits since May you will be able to open that catalog and it'll be as if nothing happened. If the raw files moved it might throw up a bunch of question marks on all your images but there's a "locate files" tool that is pretty good at tidying things up.

This is also why you never hit 'skip' on the weekly catalog backup prompt. It saves a checkpoint of your catalogs basically forever.

On windows the default location is going to be Pictures/Lightroom/Catalog Name/Catalog Name.lrcat. The 'Backups' folder is where all the backups are, in zip files. You can extract them and open them directly in Lightroom.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

seravid posted:

Went on a business trip to a city I'd never visited before and brought along my camera with only a 50mm, in case I had some free time. I did and it was nice to not carry all my kit. I had a great time, but zooming with your feet has limitations and I lost some shots for sure. Who knows when I'll be back? With that same light and weather?

What do you bring along when visiting new places? A standard zoom? Just a prime (or two) ? Everything?

I just bring 1 prime, the normal one I shoot with. I never lose any shots from not bringing other lenses because those are not shots I would have taken in the first place.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid posted:

Depends on how cold it is. If it's jacket weather maybe a half frame, a 35mm with a 28 and a 50 and a 645 folder. If it's going to be warm then whatever camera I'm vibing with on the day hung around my neck.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My personal bag on the plane is a camera bag, and my kit stays with me pretty much always. 16-55, 70-300, 90. If I had to pair it down, I'd carry just the 16-55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Got up the motivation to go out and take photos for the first time in months. Get to location. Turn camera on. Look in viewfinder. INSERT MEMORY CARD :negative: