Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My Indy 4k is arriving Monday, and I don't mind waiting for that anyway. I still watch that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

People are way too content to just stream things with inferior sound and picture quality. Humanity was a mistake

It bugs me too. But I just remind myself that the people who exclusively stream today were never the target audience for Blu-ray (or UHD) anyway. DVD a little bit since there were some conveniences there not found with VHS, but ultimately there's an enormous swath of consumers who just want to watch a movie. VHS used to be the way to watch a movie, then it was DVD, now it's streaming.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Casimir Radon posted:

It says I could have ordered it online and picked it up in a couple hours, but I just shipped it to myself. I wanted to take a walk at lunch rather be than run into Best Buy so it’s fine.

I went into Best Buy a few years ago for a Rogue One steel book, and they turned out to not have any despite the website saying otherwise. Lady I talked to says “Well the closest store that has any is [Hometown 150 miles away], but you probably don’t want to go all the way there right?”. I ordered it and had my brother pick it up for me.

If that is the steel book I'm thinking of, the cover is awesome and that was hard to get. Congrats.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Iron Crowned posted:

That's not limited to just Prime, a lot of them do it. The advertisements are crystal clear every damned time on ad based services somehow.

I would bet some goddamn BEAN COUNTERS calculated they can save some money on bandwidth from people starting and stopping one show after another trying to decide what to watch before sticking with something long enough to it to go full HD.

It's pretty frustrating and I think Prime Video is the worst of all them I've tried. But if it's a movie I really care about I probably have it on bluray anyways.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

It bugs me too. But I just remind myself that the people who exclusively stream today were never the target audience for Blu-ray (or UHD) anyway. DVD a little bit since there were some conveniences there not found with VHS, but ultimately there's an enormous swath of consumers who just want to watch a movie. VHS used to be the way to watch a movie, then it was DVD, now it's streaming.

I feel like a large swath of people don't even watch what they're "watching" it would just be alien to them to turn off the TV and listen to music, or just enjoy some quiet time. It might as well be 480i, they won't care.

PlushCow posted:

I would bet some goddamn BEAN COUNTERS calculated they can save some money on bandwidth from people starting and stopping one show after another trying to decide what to watch before sticking with something long enough to it to go full HD.

It's pretty frustrating and I think Prime Video is the worst of all them I've tried. But if it's a movie I really care about I probably have it on bluray anyways.

One of the reasons I dropped prime is that a lot of their transfers are dogshit, for no reason. There are tons of good transfers, but nope you're getting a 4:3 crop that looks like it was ripped from a bargain bin DVD in 1998.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Best Buy is doing just fine. Their stock is better than it’s ever been, and a reminder of how I hosed up a loooot of money. I worked at BBY and just made lots of dumb financial decisions w the stock that I had, along w the stock I didn’t bother to grab. Would have a nice nest egg if not for all that. Ah well.

I worked for BBY from 2005 to 2017, so I like talking this kind of stuff. The media sections have been shrinking since 2008. That’s around the time digital music was juuuust starting to pick up, so a bit of consolidation with CDs. And then movies and video games had a big overhaul. 2008 is when they introduced all the media setups for social games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero or the PS Eye Toy or whatever.

The store I started at used to be 50% media and is maybe at like 15%. And that’s including video games. Music is gone aside from maaaaybe some vinyl but I don’t think they even do that anymore. And then movies is a weird mix of DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4Ks. My go-to spot is the 2nd flagship store Best Buy has in the Twin Cities, and I stopped finding fun deals physically by around 2017. Some of that comes from me getting bored w new releases. But I really like their online presence and as I’ve mentioned, I’m a maniac about a price match!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The box the Indy steelbooks come in is cheap trash.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like a large swath of people don't even watch what they're "watching" it would just be alien to them to turn off the TV and listen to music, or just enjoy some quiet time. It might as well be 480i, they won't care.

One of the reasons I dropped prime is that a lot of their transfers are dogshit, for no reason. There are tons of good transfers, but nope you're getting a 4:3 crop that looks like it was ripped from a bargain bin DVD in 1998.

I think Prime mixes in a lot of different video distributors, regardless of quality. There's no content curation so public domain stuff like Charade has a few Prime options that are all bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

The box the Indy steelbooks come in is cheap trash.

It was the same with the Back to the Future steelbooks so I was expecting it. I'm fine with it because I prefer to just take the individual steelbooks out of the case and put them on my shelf that way.

Raiders looks amazing. It actually looks like a movie that was shot in 1980 now and there's obviously a whole bunch of scenes that really benefit from HDR/Dolby VIsion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Vagabundo posted:

If anyone's keen, Second Sight's limited edition of [url=https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lake-Mungo-Blu-ray/285870/]Lake Mungo[/ur] just became available.

It's a haunting little Australian film that deserves a much bigger audience.

Lake Mungo is amazing, one of the best and most unique horror movies I've ever seen. But man, I dont know about spending 38 dollars for a single movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Iron Crowned posted:

I probably shared this before - but one of the reasons why Police Squad - In Color got cancelled was that to find it funny you had to watch it. And at first Leslie Nielsen thought that was a terrible reason, but then he realized most people just have the TV on as background noise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In a better world Police Squad ran for 10 season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For anyone who wants to own Nashville but haven't been able to get it due to the Criterion being out of print, it's getting a new blu ray release in August.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nashville-Blu-ray/292577/

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What was the final verdict on Hong Kong Rescue? Good but maybe not great? I have a double feature blu of killer and hard Boiled, but I'm looking for HD versions of the better tomorrow movies and wondering if it's worth it(when they're available).

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
A Better Tomorrow (the first one at least) should look fine as there is already a very good 4K remaster that just needs to have the colours fixed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So far the Indy set is 2 for 2, Temple of Doom also looks fantastic. Temple of Doom has some of my favorite sets of all time(the jungle camp site, the thugee ceremony etc.) and they have more detail and texture than ever before. And closeups are amazing, as they tend to be in top tier UHDs, the faces seem like they're almost popping out of the screen, they feel almost three dimensional.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did they leave in the blu-ray changes? None of them are particularly egregious (though the shot of the truck going off the cliff is wildly unnecessary) but they don't really add much—it's not like I ever noticed the snake reflection before. But I just wonder if Spielberg has fully reversed course on digital updates or not, since he did a 180 on the ET special edition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Did they leave in the blu-ray changes? None of them are particularly egregious (though the shot of the truck going off the cliff is wildly unnecessary) but they don't really add much—it's not like I ever noticed the snake reflection before. But I just wonder if Spielberg has fully reversed course on digital updates or not, since he did a 180 on the ET special edition.

I did not see the snake reflection so I guess that means the changes are still in? I don't have a working knowledge of what the exact changes were so you'd have to list them for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Most of it's really subtle stuff so you probably wouldn't have noticed. This is the biggest one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hHvH2dbfvU

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 10, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Most of it's really subtle stuff so you probably wouldn't have noticed. This is the biggest one:

I knew about the snake reflection but I had no idea about the cliff. Subtle changes like this actually bug me more than obvious ones. When I'm watching a film I put myself in the mindset of its era regarding how I perceive/appreciate things like special effects. If I say to myself "wow these effects look amazing for 1981" I don't want to be duped :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Wow, I hate this. The matte painting looks so much better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Both the painting and CGI look bad and fake just in the ways unique to those mediums. That change is pointless because it's a lateral move.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Both the painting and CGI look bad and fake just in the ways unique to those mediums. That change is pointless because it's a lateral move.

Agreed. Though I'll still take the matte painting because at least it's of its era.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The shadows and lighting still don't match at all, all they managed to "accomplish" is making the color grading of the cliff more closely match the color grading of the jeep. But you can still tell it's matted so... why?

Or why didn't they just touch up the jeep to make it match the matte painting? :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh wow, just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnfsXOqvYI

They fixed some of the color grading in KotCS and it looks waaay better.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

feedmyleg posted:

Oh wow, just saw this:

Could they at least fix that obviously-wrong take of "part time"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nice. While I always took it as a stylistic choice, Kingdom always felt bloomlighted to hell on the blu ray. Interested to watch the 4K.

So far the original 3 look amazing!

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

feedmyleg posted:

I have the 2003 DVD set and the 2012 Blu-ray set and didn’t remember ever seeing this. I just popped the blu-ray in to check and it’s still the matte painting. Is it something they did after KOTCS and then immediately regretted?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The YouTube description even says that variation only aired on TV apparently. As far as I know, the only changes Spielberg made were digitally fixing a few quick things like reflections and rigging. Honestly, all stuff that any film made in the last 15 years probably would have had fixed in post without anyone knowing better.

Worth saying that a lot of classic films had minor fixes. The Wizard of Oz and North by Northwest have wire removal. A few shots in the silent Metropolis were recomposited digitally because only the separate film elements survived in good quality. The Godfather had squib removal. Plenty of films with title sequences digitally rebuilt from textless camera originals to improve visual quality (Lawrence of Arabia, The African Queen, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

The YouTube description even says that variation only aired on TV apparently. As far as I know, the only changes Spielberg made were digitally fixing a few quick things like reflections and rigging. Honestly, all stuff that any film made in the last 15 years probably would have had fixed in post without anyone knowing better.

Worth saying that a lot of classic films had minor fixes. The Wizard of Oz and North by Northwest have wire removal. A few shots in the silent Metropolis were recomposited digitally because only the separate film elements survived in good quality. The Godfather had squib removal. Plenty of films with title sequences digitally rebuilt from textless camera originals to improve visual quality (Lawrence of Arabia, The African Queen, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg).

Interesting. When were the Wizard of Oz changes made? We talking recently?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Interesting. When were the Wizard of Oz changes made? We talking recently?

I’m guessing first with the 1998 re-release since I saw one of those 35mm dye-transfer prints and the wires were gone - then all subsequent versions. It’s mostly just the wire for the Cowardly Lion’s tail, but a few other bits. I do think that this is a legitimate reason to do touch ups because 1939 prints were soft enough it wouldn’t have been that obvious.

There’s a video on the Blu-ray set for Monty Python’s Flying Circus with Terry Gilliam overseeing examples of the restoration work done on the series. He points out a chroma key error that was never fixed and talks about how he saw the DVD of The Thief of Bagdad where you can see wires. Basically says no director would ever want that poo poo visible and says “gently caress the purists” (worth noting that Gilliam had specifically asked Criterion to fix up some effects work when his Final Cut of Brazil was prepped for laserdisc).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t really mind minor fix ups that help keep you in the movie. When they trash the grain, or screw up color grading so you get several releases with wrong colored lightsabers, then I get mad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Evil Dead II blu-ray I have removed a very obviously visible string attached to the eyeball that flies across the room and I think that actually hurt the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the? That sucks. I’m sure the one I had has it...this is very concerning

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Oh wow, just saw this:

Did the movie always look that garish or was it just the blu-ray? I honestly don't remember what it looked like in theaters and I can't say I've rewatched it all that much in the past decade or so.

CPL593H posted:

The Evil Dead II blu-ray I have removed a very obviously visible string attached to the eyeball that flies across the room and I think that actually hurt the movie.

The first movie's blu-ray release "fixed" a bunch of mistakes too and it sucks. Most of it is relatively minor and stuff you probably wouldn't notice unless you'd seen the movie a billion times, but their target audience has.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

What the? That sucks. I’m sure the one I had has it...this is very concerning

The problem is that there are too many different Evil Dead 2 releases. I have no idea how many blu-rays are thier own unique transfer. I suspect most of them are just repackaged versions of this, which is what I have:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evil-Dead-2-Blu-ray/27439/

Apparently there's an Evil Dead UHD release which is just kind of silly and very unnecessary.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 11, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I’ve always seen the string in the eye when I watch it on Blu Ray so idk

Maybe I’m misremembering. I’ll take a look tomorrow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Apparently there's an Evil Dead UHD release which is just kind of silly and very unnecessary.

I have it, it looks good OP

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I owned Evil Dead on UHD and still bought the Evil Dead 1+2 UHD Steelbook to have everything in a single case, let alone a decent steelbook, let alone one with great art!

It's not a revelation, but both look great. I mean, film really owns that format. Just watched the Tremors UHD with my gal (her first time seeing it!) this week. Just a great transfer, even if it was a little grain heavy at times. But drat if the Graboids didn't seem that much grosser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I have it, it looks good OP

I meant to say Evil Dead 2 but that is also silly. But in fairness the first Evil Dead blu-ray looks great but I still can't picture how much better it can and should look. How is the film grain? I NEED THAT FILM GRAIN.