Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

err posted:

i imagined the tictac being bigger

Fravor's consistently said he thought it was ~fighter jet sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the personal accounts are whatever coz people lie, especially government employees during some kind of psyop whatever you think the truth is
but them saying it was moving past the speed of sound without associated sonic booms and such suggests its not a physical object though unless magic is involved... which yeah i know lol the aliens are goetia from the astral plane so thats a given

A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic etc etc

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

the personal accounts are whatever coz people lie, especially government employees during some kind of psyop whatever you think the truth is
but them saying it was moving past the speed of sound without associated sonic booms and such suggests its not a physical object though unless magic is involved... which yeah i know lol the aliens are goetia from the astral plane so thats a given

We're discussing systems that can do this on that very page. We (probably) can't produce that kind of power density yet but it's completely feasible.

Our species just figured out relativity. You think we're done?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
my wife and i are going on a road trip through the southwest next month. gonna be swinging by skinwalker ranch and roswell...the week of july 18th. what do yall think the odds are we see something?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Pooky posted:

We're discussing systems that can do this on that very page. We (probably) can't produce that kind of power density yet but it's completely feasible.

Our species just figured out relativity. You think we're done?

If you're talking about the Alcubierre stuff, isn't one of the side effects a giant shockwave of relativistic particles?

I think they're alien sail ships, sailing on cosmic good vibes. Sails don't give off any heat or exhaust.

e: that's also why they don't show themselves, not enough good vibes.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

my wife and i are going on a road trip through the southwest next month. gonna be swinging by skinwalker ranch and roswell...the week of july 18th. what do yall think the odds are we see something?

Honestly don't bother with roswell. I went 2 years ago and was super disappointed. It isnt close to anything else, and the alien stuff is a small section of downtown. The rest of the town is just depressing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I drove through Roswell two weeks ago, it's pretty LOL if you wanna see an economically depressed town with gaudy Aliens bedecking every single store front. I wouldn't go out of my way for it though.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What if instead of encasing the entire craft in a warp bubble you just blew a propellant stream through a very small warp bubble, then what if you accidentally dropped a rock into your test setup and you shoot earth point blank with a pebble going 20x the speed of light

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

What if instead of encasing the entire craft in a warp bubble you just blew a propellant stream through a very small warp bubble, then what if you accidentally dropped a rock into your test setup and you shoot earth point blank with a pebble going 20x the speed of light

What the hell do these words mean?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

you'd get a causality violation, who knows what happens then

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

That's just what happened in jackass 3d with the plane exhaust except with a rock instead of flour and vegetables and a football

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Advanced life follows the creed set down by Sonic the Hedgehog.
https://youtu.be/7EOG-ml6o4Y

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hi I'm flib florb and welcome to drackass! *sticks my flhingus in warp bubble stream*

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO37RwXi8GA

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm seeing the twitter news discourse go from bemusement to annoyance and outright anger at DoD so that's an interesting turn (for both the slow turnaround and the "we don't know" conclusion).
Whoever thought it was smart to tease this obviously has never dealt with frantic fanbases before.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

So the flight patterns suggest they can manipulate gravity within the ufo and with how the ufo moves. The hull showing the same ir image as they move and the lack of sonic booms means they can somehow not interact with the atmosphere. Maybe the ufo makes a field around itself that expands as it moves and somehow pushes the atmosphere out of the way in such a way that it doesn't create significant friction? So in order to take em down we need to make magnetic beams/cones and light em up

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

man none of these videos are remotely convincing. i admit i havent seen whatever ones kicked it off but i figured i'd rectify that and jut went off to look at the nimitz one and... really?

true, but as a test, try to take a video of a bird or plane with a cell phone or standard camera. 99% of the time you get nothing whatsoever. Cameras aren't good at capturing small things in a large area such as the sky — which is why birders invest in huge rear end zoom lenses (and even with these enormous lenses, half of the photos turn out blurry).

source: I'm one of the weirdos who goes birding with a huge rear end zoom lens. I take hundreds of pictures every time I go out and the vast majority turn out lovely

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Jun 10, 2021

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That could also explain their purported interest in nukes. If we've got nukes, we could potentially build fusion reactors (we could easily do this with a modern Manhattan project). Then we've got enough energy to zap those tic tacs

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Hatebag posted:

So the flight patterns suggest they can manipulate gravity within the ufo and with how the ufo moves. The hull showing the same ir image as they move and the lack of sonic booms means they can somehow not interact with the atmosphere. Maybe the ufo makes a field around itself that expands as it moves and somehow pushes the atmosphere out of the way in such a way that it doesn't create significant friction? So in order to take em down we need to make magnetic beams/cones and light em up

well gravity is the weak force, If I jump, I dont go barelling into the center of the earth, instead I stay stationary as the earths spinning and the suns motion thru the universe is completly nullified and I die cold and alone in the vaccum of space hundreds and thousands of miles in the void.

just a little thought expeirment about gravity.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Tekne posted:

I don't believe this because there is no one who can upload a video to the Internet and also has camera quality that looks like a scanned VHS tape from the 70s.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

UnknownTarget posted:

I don't believe this because there is no one who can upload a video to the Internet and also has camera quality that looks like a scanned VHS tape from the 70s.
No idea what the story on these is, but the footage is supposed to be from the early 90s.
https://twitter.com/ChilliFowler/status/1366739681950457861

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pooky posted:

What if their body temperature is like 200f? :ohdear:
i hate my dick, bring it on

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Vinja Ninja posted:

well gravity is the weak force, If I jump, I dont go barelling into the center of the earth, instead I stay stationary as the earths spinning and the suns motion thru the universe is completly nullified and I die cold and alone in the vaccum of space hundreds and thousands of miles in the void.

just a little thought expeirment about gravity.

Sometimes their movement is described as something like going from point a to point b at v1, wait, then to point c at v2. If they're moving based on the earth's magnetic field via some field that they emit, maybe they just set the geometry and intensity of their field so that they move point to point like that for those types of maneuvers

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

What if the aliens are moving via van der waals forces???

az
Dec 2, 2005

aliens did covid vaccines as well as climate change

-things I have heard this week ~~

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

true, but as a test, try to take a video of a bird or plane with a cell phone or standard camera. 99% of the time you get nothing whatsoever. Cameras aren't good at capturing small things in a large area such as the sky — which is why birders invest in huge rear end zoom lenses (and even with these enormous lenses, half of the photos turn out blurry).

source: I'm one of the weirdos who goes birding with a huge rear end zoom lens. I take hundreds of pictures every time I go out and the vast majority turn out lovely

this is super true. here's a video i shared in the mushrooming thread

Hooplah posted:

plus a bonus scarlet tanager. beautifully striking red in person. iphone camera doesn't do it justice.
https://i.imgur.com/B7eofAg.gifv

this is a large-ish bird in a low tree right in front of me. I had to use the highest zoom level on my iphone x to get this fairly blurry footage. if that bird was 50 feet further away or on the wing, you wouldn't be able to say more than that it was red and black.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol the navy has so much data on these encounters it's disgusting. They only released stuff that's already leaked and that's it. Release the documents!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tekne posted:

No idea what the story on these is, but the footage is supposed to be from the early 90s.
https://twitter.com/ChilliFowler/status/1366739681950457861
it's funny, yeah, my mother swears she saw something just like that when she was a kid growing up in texas panhandle back in the 70s. still is absolutely convinced that it was real and it was out of this world

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
she said a bunch of neighbors also saw it, and her and her sisters ran down the street shouting for people to "come out and look!" then it just went squirt like that

i dunno and i'm skeptic but my mother would never lie

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I think Roswell has a saucer shaped McDonald’s

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the only thing more out of the way is marfa, but at least marfa has its arts colony thing going on

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the only thing more out of the way is marfa, but at least marfa has its arts colony thing going on

the marfa lights are legit worth going to see, they're very spooky

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

the marfa lights are legit worth going to see, they're very spooky

absolutely its just...youre going to be in scrub desert for hours and hours

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gonna put my skeptic hat on, but I legit thought that the Marfa lights were just some kind of weird mirage of highway lights.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
What's marfa

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

marfa.... deez nuts...?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not much, what's marfa with you

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hooplah posted:

a marfa fulla deez nuts...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pooky posted:

in any case I'm getting whiplash alternating between "it's aliens" and "it's deep-state suppressed tech" :negative:

when in your lifetime has the entire US government ever changed its mind on something it was doing before and started doing the exact opposite, in a bipartisan way