Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

We're all snail food in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When I die feed me to my MTS.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
We had a weird die off of MTS, and now I am minus a big mama goby, one of my rams, and I am pretty sure it's not a dragonfly nymph/larva. I keep everyone fed, though.

I found an amano picking things off the filter sponge, so that's a plus. I do want to get some ramshorn or a mystery snail.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

The grandpa ramshorns are fun to watch because it's like a whole nickel just scooting across the tank. The Mystery snails are my personal favorite.

Without the assassin snails my ramshorns got totally out of control. I bought 10 assassin's for my 120 about 4 months ago and now things are back in balance.

I now also have more baby assassin's than I can count which I wasn't planning on but is super neat :3:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The MTS are my $$$ but I love the Pagoda Snails the most. The Chopsticks are just jerks who won't allow me to aquascape my 10g.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

The MTS are my $$$ but I love the Pagoda Snails the most. The Chopsticks are just jerks who won't allow me to aquascape my 10g.

What would you recommend if I wanted to add a snail to my 5g? Heavily planted (my post history has pics) and 4 amano shrimp only for occupants. I had nerites but they kept falling off stuff and I needed to flip them over it was super stressful.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hello again everyone,

You kindly helped my clear up the nitrite issue in my fish tank, the balance was fine last time I had it tested, however after having my Mexican walking fish in the tank for about 2/3 weeks the water is smelling a bit off.

This must sound foolish but the smell is kind of... metal/electric burn smell. That’s the best description I can give. The axo seems fine and is eating normally but perhaps you could offer advice?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Rabbit snails are nice. Especially the gold and black or blue and shaded ones. They need both to breed, so if you just want one, that'd be the best to go for just one. I kinda want to pick up some dwarf shrimps.

Good news: I have dealt with the amanos. They are just mega transparent and have declared the sponge their territory. I'm uncertain, but I think the large goby and dwarf cichlid might've gotten their butts kicked. I've been very wary on watch for larva of

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

What would you recommend if I wanted to add a snail to my 5g? Heavily planted (my post history has pics) and 4 amano shrimp only for occupants. I had nerites but they kept falling off stuff and I needed to flip them over it was super stressful.

Mini Rabbits! Stay small, will breed if you're into that, and mine don't really burrow, which is nice.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

I'm honestly surprised to hear you're selling MTS. I've only heard of them as pests

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm honestly surprised to hear you're selling MTS. I've only heard of them as pests

I turn them into store credit mostly these days, individual sales are barely worth the time and effort unless someone really wants them. I've spent like 17? years now selecting for size and color and mixing in new genetics now and then so they don't stagnate. They are MTS so it's not hard to scoop out a couple hundred every now and then to offset my expensive Aquatic Arts habit. They have them breeding in a few of their tanks now and have some of their own genetic line in a couple other tanks and demand is still outstripping supply.

They're pretty awesome in planted tanks where you can't really get in there to clean the substrate and don't want to deal with dead leaves. I can't imagine running a planted tank without them at this point, they've a very valuable part of my clean up crew. Plus they are VERY good at being a canary in a coal mine, if you see them during the day it's a sure sign your water is fucky somehow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bonster posted:

Snails are so fast at cleaning up - I watched a mystery snail eat an entire dead rasbora in about ten minutes.

Mystery disappearances are now explained for me.

yeah big snails are loving awesome, totally underrated for things like small/nano tanks

you can feed em chunks of meat/dried shrimp/etc like you would a crayfish, etc and just watch them go to town

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Extra row of tits posted:

Hello again everyone,

You kindly helped my clear up the nitrite issue in my fish tank, the balance was fine last time I had it tested, however after having my Mexican walking fish in the tank for about 2/3 weeks the water is smelling a bit off.

This must sound foolish but the smell is kind of... metal/electric burn smell. That’s the best description I can give. The axo seems fine and is eating normally but perhaps you could offer advice?

what else is in the tank? have you gotten a new source of water? how often do you water change?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Extra row of tits posted:

Hello again everyone,

Can you please smell the water that is going in? I just smelled both my tanks and it's more of a planty/organic smell like you get from badly made marijuana food.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Aerofallosov posted:

Rabbit snails are nice. Especially the gold and black or blue and shaded ones. They need both to breed, so if you just want one, that'd be the best to go for just one. I kinda want to pick up some dwarf shrimps.

Good news: I have dealt with the amanos. They are just mega transparent and have declared the sponge their territory. I'm uncertain, but I think the large goby and dwarf cichlid might've gotten their butts kicked. I've been very wary on watch for larva of

I was gonna buy a group for my 40 gallon, but the guy at the fish store said they'd munch on plants. I'd read that they typically avoided plants if other food was available. I'm guessing he was misinformed?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Schwack posted:

I was gonna buy a group for my 40 gallon, but the guy at the fish store said they'd munch on plants. I'd read that they typically avoided plants if other food was available. I'm guessing he was misinformed?

I've never had any success with the bigger Rabbits but they mostly seemed to leave stuff alone. My Mini Rabbits I don't know because lol at them being able to do enough damage to counter the amount of plant growth. There aren't any obvious holes or damage to my leafy plants from them though. If they are eating plants they're going for the mixed Marimo epiphytes/Java Moss/Subwassertang mass.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I don't really leave the house so it might take me a bit to get to the post office but if any of you want some quality MTS hit me up and I will eventually send you some. I used to sell them on here but there is so little profit in it that we can just call it a random act of Goonerosity.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of line bred MTS, I have massive populations stemming from that first one or two tiny baby snails I got unseen on a piece of moss I bought off ebay for $5 years ago. I imagine my guys are very inbred at this point so it makes me wonder how selectively bred ones differ.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of line bred MTS, I have massive populations stemming from that first one or two tiny baby snails I got unseen on a piece of moss I bought off ebay for $5 years ago. I imagine my guys are very inbred at this point so it makes me wonder how selectively bred ones differ.

My "Brown" line is very unstable and I haven't put much effort into it, my "Big" line is consistently hitting an extra .25". The one on the left is a "normal" sized adult, the other two are what my "Big" line is producing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just introduced new genetics and tbh the new MTS are very... stumpy? So i'm hoping that is recessive. But it's been a few years since I put new ones in so I def needed the new genetic infusion.

EDIT: if anyone has a line on the spiked MTS please let me know the last person I knew who had them let them die off before I learned about them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Desert Bus posted:

My "Brown" line is very unstable and I haven't put much effort into it, my "Big" line is consistently hitting an extra .25". The one on the left is a "normal" sized adult, the other two are what my "Big" line is producing.

Oh yeah those definitely look bigger than even my biggest oldest ones. Smoother too, I think, mine have a bit more of a texture to their shells than those ones. Really cool! Thankyou!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Oh yeah those definitely look bigger than even my biggest oldest ones. Smoother too, I think, mine have a bit more of a texture to their shells than those ones. Really cool! Thankyou!

Once they get past 1.25" and into the 1.5" range they lose all their color because they are jerks. I know "smoother" shells in reptiles is usually a sign of good diet and I have like 15 foods I swap between so I think it maybe holds true for snails too? I dunno. Years of pulling small ones and flushing them has gotten me these. You don't grow fast enough? Welcome to the sewage processing plant. I do keep worrying that i'm going to see a news article about how my sewers are infested with invasive snails though lol whoops.

Trading them into the fish place is basically me just not doing my normal culling when I do my water change every 2-3 months and instead waiting til I can harvest a bunch for store credit. Keep pulling out the smalls the bigs get more food and the big genetics get passed on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So to my knowledge cories don't really eat snails unless theyre dead, but since adding cories to my tank, the MTS population was decimated. Nothing else about the tank has changed beyond also adding a mystery snail.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

So to my knowledge cories don't really eat snails unless theyre dead, but since adding cories to my tank, the MTS population was decimated. Nothing else about the tank has changed beyond also adding a mystery snail.

Food competition maybe? Cories love constantly foraging for stuff on the substrate, snails might just be breeding less from less food lying around.

e: Mystery snail might have also brought in some sort of snail parasite maybe?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cories will 100% much on snails if they are hungry enough but Cories will also vacuum up the food needed to keep an MTS population big and growing so it's probably like 50/50.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

NEVER trust a fish. I've seen herbivores eagerly eating dead fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

I've never had any success with the bigger Rabbits but they mostly seemed to leave stuff alone. My Mini Rabbits I don't know because lol at them being able to do enough damage to counter the amount of plant growth. There aren't any obvious holes or damage to my leafy plants from them though. If they are eating plants they're going for the mixed Marimo epiphytes/Java Moss/Subwassertang mass.

Yeah, my rabbit snail loved to hoover algae off plants. Rock on, little snail dudes, rock on.

I am tempted to check out snails, since I think the rabbit snail is either dead or hiding. But so far, they didn't eat happy, healthy growth - or they are busy scraping algae. Fish and inverts don't really read the books, so you could have a rude plant ruiner or a chill bro snail.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Fish Goons please help me out here! There was someone in this thread or a past FW thread that fed their Angelfish fry with their own cum and I cannot find the post and I think I might be going crazy because not being able to find poo poo is weird to me. I think I reported them and I think they got banned or probed for it and I also think it hit the front page. Help!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

High protein, interesting

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

....did it work?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

My angelfish pair many moons ago would dote on their kids until dad went bonkers and ate most of them.

I do not think they could 'perform' as it is. I miss my angels. Also I think they have refraction times on doing the naughty fish thing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

....did it work?

According to the post I think so? But there are only so many ways you can plug this into Google and I have failed every time. I'm probably on a list somewhere now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Uh, sorry this has to follow, but here's some chillin with the patio pond
https://youtu.be/Jw34XwwmpOA

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Uh, sorry this has to follow, but here's some chillin with the patio pond
https://youtu.be/Jw34XwwmpOA

That looks amazing have you tried jacking off into it???

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

That looks amazing have you tried jacking off into it???
Thanks, not yet :wink:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/BogF9Zy.mp4

I think I may have too many

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah that looks really overstocked to me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You need to add a nice big piscivorous predator.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

they must go through a lot of cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

#tubgoals

Here's a query for folks who know about livebearers. Are there factors that can bias the sex of developing fry in guppies and endlers? My first clutch/hatching/batch of fry came from an endler/guppy hybrid that was probably pregnant for the first time when I bought her, and the clutch was small, only 5 fry. I'm pretty sure they're all females. The juveniles I have now seem to all be female. I'm wondering if they're like some reptiles, where the whole clutch of eggs can come out male or female, depending on the incubation temperatures? Or was that just the luck of the draw, and I can expect a variety out of the rest of the subsequent fry?

Best count I could get of fry , juvies, and adults yesterday has my tub up to high 20's, low 30's