Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I kinda feel like nothing could turn Charlotte against Griffith at this point, even a point blank, outright betrayal would just be met with confusion and disbelief up until she died. Griffith's already unnaturally compelling charisma has now been supernaturally altered to the point where the people around him treat him like a walking god. The pope fell down in prayer before him and declared Griffith the savior of all the world, the hawk of light, who will lead the people into the new era. So take all that into account, and now add in the savior complex and feelings Charlotte had even before any of that. I don't even know if she'd be able to believe that Griffith would rape somebody or cause the events of the eclipse, even if he himself told it to her.

All of this is part of what made Griffith such a compelling villain. He had the unquestioning adoration and respect of basically any person or demon of import outside of Guts' and Rickerts' respective groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's happening (6/10 Eclipse)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Trump's back in the white house! Ivanka, bye bye.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Mazed posted:

At least, unless/until he signaled a big mega-eclipse rug pull. Although I'm increasingly convinced that's not what was gonna happen, just because people in the story know about Apostles now, the audience has seen it happen twice, and it'd really just be kind of trite.

Agreed. Griffith's dream is not/was never to betray people/do eclipses. His dream is to have his own kingdom and I think he is doing that. Unless something starts to unravel or prove unconquerable for him he would have no reason to do it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah that's why I think Charlotte was going to die.
poo poo had to start going wrong for Griffith and they way the pope kept bringing up the wedding seemed to impy poo poo was going to down in some way. If she died what remains of Midland's aristocracy would probably begin questioning his legitimacy. The reason I think Sonia would kill her is that she's currently the only person with any reason to see her dead.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

temple posted:

Trump's back in the white house! Ivanka, bye bye.

I remember a series of Trump-style tweets that were Griffith talking about Falconia and it was honestly one of the best bit I've seen. Wish I could find em again

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah that's why I think Charlotte was going to die.
poo poo had to start going wrong for Griffith and they way the pope kept bringing up the wedding seemed to impy poo poo was going to down in some way. If she died what remains of Midland's aristocracy would probably begin questioning his legitimacy. The reason I think Sonia would kill her is that she's currently the only person with any reason to see her dead.

Griffith being weighed down by insurrection might make sense if some of the Apostles under, idk, Zodd or something joined him... it would jive a lot with the Alexander Dumas vibes The Golden Age arc gives off, and would be a great way to square the fantasy vibes of later Berserk with the earlier stuff.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The single funniest thing they've mentioned about Falconia is that it still operates on money, with them getting loans from banks (which still exist?) and poo poo and having a specific budget. Because of course it does, all the dark god juice in the world isn't going to give Griffith the knowledge of like, loving MMT or the abolition of exchange, and these feudal fucks following him around go along with his and Charlotte's idea of universal education only because he's a god-king, not because he's actually jumped centuries of political theory.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

The single funniest thing they've mentioned about Falconia is that it still operates on money, with them getting loans from banks (which still exist?) and poo poo and having a specific budget. Because of course it does, all the dark god juice in the world isn't going to give Griffith the knowledge of like, loving MMT or the abolition of exchange, and these feudal fucks following him around go along with his and Charlotte's idea of universal education only because he's a god-king, not because he's actually jumped centuries of political theory.

I mean of course the kingdom has a budget and borrows money from banks, because that's what kingdoms do and he wanted to run a kingdom. Just like he jumps over and sticks the troll king with a sword instead of doing anything that a human with cheat stats couldn't do. It's all very much like the dream he had as a child.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

that old fanart of falconia as a crayon drawing labeled "MY DWEAM KASTLE" is so insanely on point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, poor Jill....I cri every time.

But never mind that, SKULL KNIGHT IS BACK

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

mdct posted:

Also dang what do you think that the Skull Knight doesn't do anything behind the scenes dogg has his own job to do

*cuts to Skull Knight on a couch watching Hell's Kitchen, munching on a bag of behelit cheetos*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So I'm working my way through the Berserk musou and first of all: don't.

But second, I forgot the part where, when they raise up the hand altar in the Eclipse, Griffith actually tries to hold on to Guts, as best as he's able, but just can't get the grip.

I'm actually reminded a lot of Revenge of the Sith here, and I am sorry for that comparison, but there's a bit early on where Palpatine tries to get Anakin to leave Obi-Wan on Dooku's ship, and Anakin's like "what? no?" And so sure enough, Palpatine makes sure Obi-Wan isn't around for most of the movie so he doesn't have further influence.

My read on that has always been that if Obi-Wan stays on Coruscant, "RIIIIISE!!!!" just doesn't happen. I wonder, setting aside all the causality predestination poo poo, if Guts managing to stay on that hand would move the needle at all.

I think probably not, because Griffith isn't really TURNED at the Eclipse, Femto is just the same guy making the same calculations at a larger scale, but it's interesting to think about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, Guts manages to climb his way back up to the top if the hand where Griffith is pretty quickly, and Griffith is staring right at Guts when he chooses to sacrifice the Hawks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I did tab out to post that too soon!

In my mind he was still dangling from the side of the hand by the time things popped off

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
https://twitter.com/berserksouls/status/1403094521274044420

Elden Ring keeps the tradition of being very Berserky

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a werewolf. Pretty sure berserk didn't invent that.

People have been stretching hard trying to find berserk references in the limited elden ring footage we've seen so far. Obviously the From team loves berserk and have been influenced by it, but come on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's also just straight up got the world spiral tree as a central piece of the world geometry too...

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's hardly a stretch - from soft have built their back catalogue on manga references.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People have been stretching hard trying to find berserk references in the limited elden ring footage we've seen so far. Obviously the From team loves berserk and have been influenced by it, but come on.

Berserk didn't invent Werewolves no

You know what Berserk did invent?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
From Soft do their own stuff, but also references a ton of stuff like Berserk and Glorantha.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's literally the Berserk armor with a different wolf head.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Much of Miyazaki's works contain homages to Berserk so the werewolf being called a Berserk homage is the least stretchy stretch possible.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would be willing to bet that there will be some homage to Miura in Elden Ring.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

This is reminding me of the person who decided to troll shout chat in ff14 when everyone was standing around campfires as Dark Knights by insisting that Dark Souls/Bloodborne had zero influence from Berserk

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Still reading through my first time but the everything from defending the village from the trolls to the acquisition of the Berserker armor is some of the best stuff I’ve ever read/seen.

Guts willing to offload his tasks onto other people has shown a really great growth for him as a character. Farneze taking care of Caska to help her grow is beautifully handled. Serpico is a cool dark horse character with a lot of potential, Schierke is such a wonderful addition to the cast too. It was great to see the boy get some responsibility and Skull Knight is such a loving awesome character. This is maybe the best manga I’ve ever read.

It’s hard to encompass everything I appreciate about the manga so far, there’s just so much well executed craft on display that it’s overwhelming to talk about what I think it succeeds at. I’m going to be heartbroken when this is over.

Edit: also holy poo poo how can I forget Schnozz

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My favorite part of Schnozz is he's easily bullied by the elves. He's not even a bad monster, he's just trying to hang out!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Still reading through my first time but the everything from defending the village from the trolls to the acquisition of the Berserker armor is some of the best stuff I’ve ever read/seen.

Guts willing to offload his tasks onto other people has shown a really great growth for him as a character. Farneze taking care of Caska to help her grow is beautifully handled. Serpico is a cool dark horse character with a lot of potential, Schierke is such a wonderful addition to the cast too. It was great to see the boy get some responsibility and Skull Knight is such a loving awesome character. This is maybe the best manga I’ve ever read.

It’s hard to encompass everything I appreciate about the manga so far, there’s just so much well executed craft on display that it’s overwhelming to talk about what I think it succeeds at. I’m going to be heartbroken when this is over.

Edit: also holy poo poo how can I forget Schnozz

I skipped omnibus Vols 6/7 (i'll get them eventually) and went straight to preordering vol 8 because the sequence from Troll Town to the Berserker Armors appearance is some of the best poo poo in the series to look at and read.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Never realized there was a thread for Berserk, even though I've read it for forever.

Feeling like I want to go back and read from the beginning again now. drat the news though, that sucks.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Holy moley, I just asked myself why there hadn't been any Berserk posts in a while (wondering when we might expect the next update). :cry:

I'm sorry things got in the way and my reread stalled. The volume is on the table waiting for the right moment to pounce like a Behelit.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has anyone seen the third Golden Age movie? I caught all three on Netflix and I'm a bit confused, because people online made its Eclipse sequence out to be Cannibal Holocaust levels of horrifyingly violent and it really wasn't. Am I missing something?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Holy moley, I just asked myself why there hadn't been any Berserk posts in a while (wondering when we might expect the next update). :cry:

I'm sorry things got in the way and my reread stalled. The volume is on the table waiting for the right moment to pounce like a Behelit.

It keeps gently intruding on my thoughts every once in a while too :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

Has anyone seen the third Golden Age movie? I caught all three on Netflix and I'm a bit confused, because people online made its Eclipse sequence out to be Cannibal Holocaust levels of horrifyingly violent and it really wasn't. Am I missing something?
Nope. Probably just twenty-somethings who saw the Golden Age movies when they were too young and inflated the memory. Iirc it's a fairly faithful translation of the manga, same as the '97 one. There's honestly not a lot of variance between all three. All three are really violent, but like... the horror is just as much from the immense betrayal and "oh gently caress is this really what's going down right now?" which loses some of the potency when it's a famous twist the franchise is renowned for. Honestly it's like the Red Wedding in that regard.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, and it also looked like kind of Standard Anime Violence. It's not like you have long, lingering shots of photorealistic viscera or anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's still got some banger moments. Pippin ending up a husk, the heads getting crunched between the molars of various Apostles, and that vaguely amphibian that gulps a dude down whole all come to mind. I'll definitely take Berserk's baroque approach to tableau over a lot of Ultragore anime from the 80s or Sadist anime from the 00s.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oh, I agree, I just happened to come across this stuff in some places and found myself wondering what the hell they were talking about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flesnolk posted:

Oh, I agree, I just happened to come across this stuff in some places and found myself wondering what the hell they were talking about.

So much of it comes from people who went in blind, as well

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Is there any word on whether they'll compile release Miura's papers or provide some other capstone to the series, or is that still all up in the air at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No news unless there's news.