Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Today's Delve chapter was like listening to someone talk about the dream they just had for twenty minutes in excruciating detail

Yeah I’m starting to realise that I don’t give a poo poo about any of this. Not souls, not whatever he’s doing with the plates and resistances, definitely not dozer. I sort of cared about spell interactions and breaking those mechanics but it appears the author doesn’t anymore so yeah I’m done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The only thing that gives me hope going forward for Delve is that he finally raised his max level and we might finally get more interesting power progression. But I agree the whole soul part has just dragged on forever with no interesting results, and when you end up with entire chapters focused around the subject and still nothing happens... For a story that has a single short update once a week it really hurts the overall quality.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Cinara posted:

The only thing that gives me hope going forward for Delve is that he finally raised his max level and we might finally get more interesting power progression. But I agree the whole soul part has just dragged on forever with no interesting results, and when you end up with entire chapters focused around the subject and still nothing happens... For a story that has a single short update once a week it really hurts the overall quality.

I mean, obvious end goal would be hacking level restrictions on your soul in some manner and Dozer's interaction within the soulspace seem pretty important to soul editing. Not that the pacing is not terrible.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

tithin posted:

It's a notifier system, tells you when a new thing on a website has been published

The vast majority of websites have them, they're just not hugely popular these days. Basically lets you set up a curated feed of content that tells you when there's been an update to a website, podcast, or whatever.

Nettle Soup posted:

Most websites have an RSS feed hidden somewhere. You plug that into your feed reader app, and then every time the website updates, your reader pick it up and tells you / shows you the update when you check it, depending on how they've configured it.

It used to be a lot more popular, but then google killed the best reader app and nothing else has ever come close, really. I stopped using Feedly after it advertised me a thanksgiving discount for at least 6 months after thanksgiving...

you fools, now I can't unlearn that, I spend a lot of time remaining as ignorant as possible

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cinara posted:

He raised his max level to one under the level where it would have actually done something.

I'm increasingly thinking I should just shelve Delve for a year or so and then catch up once there's enough chapters for it to go somewhere.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Congrats Hungry!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Congratulations!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Oh goodness, thank you! I wasn't going to say anything here because I didn't want to link my own Patreon, felt like it might be a bit rude or something. Very exciting, yeah!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Congrats, that's great!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nettle Soup posted:

Re: Monarch has kinda lost me tbh. I like it, but I have to work myself up to reading it and thinking about it makes me tired. Time loop about a fuckup prince with daddy issues. Pretty grim and I dunno, I feel like none of the side-characters have much agency and the looping stuff got me a bit lost after a while with who was who.

Ja, I've been falling behind on it too. I don't have any trouble with the characters or the grimness but I'm kind of fed up with this demon city.

Though I'm behind on everything I'm reading except for Ave Xia Rem Y.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hungry posted:

Oh goodness, thank you! I wasn't going to say anything here because I didn't want to link my own Patreon, felt like it might be a bit rude or something. Very exciting, yeah!
Podium has produced a lot of good content, I've listened to a ton of things they have produced and have high hopes for you! So exciting!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Podium has produced a lot of good content, I've listened to a ton of things they have produced and have high hopes for you! So exciting!

Thanks very much! I'd never actually heard of Podium before this, I'm not very clued up on audiobooks, so I did a lot of research and yeah it's no exaggeration to say they really know their stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GlassElephant posted:

They are only Patreon exclusive until the book is finished. They everyone gets them.

Oh, that's cool; I just noticed how there are placeholders in the Extra Chapters segment.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Congratulations Hungry! Katalepsis is one of my favorite serials.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Pirate is sleeping on whether or not to release the upcoming raw chapter to patrons, and based on the buzz in the discord... I think it's a sensible decision. It deals with a topic that needs to be handled with the utmost care, and it's only because of all the cred pirate's built up with me that I'm trusting them not to present it badly. The subject matter sounds a lot like something that would have gotten me to quit had this happened in a much earlier volume, and the editor... seems to have their work cut out for them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I read the Last Ship in Suzhou, and that was fun. The characters make no sense as high schoolers, but it was fun.

Then I saw the author mention this other story, Memories of the Fall, and I thought, well, I'll check that out too.

I need to talk about this.

So just to get it out of the way, the prose is atrocious. Painful. I said upthread that this tends not to bother me too much, because with webfiction I'm often just skimming. But, uh. I was about ten chapters in when I started to have trouble physically focusing on the text. I swear, it was starting to turn my brain to cheese. We've got: sentences trying to do four clever things at once, multiple redundant or contradictory qualifiers on every adjective, criminal abuse of vocabulary, missing and misplaced commas, tense mismatches; the works.

But! The content.

The story focuses on what is, effectively, a mestizo community in the colonised periphery of a global xianxia sword wizard empire. This community makes its living farming the fringes of a continent-spanning death jungle for magical reagents, and naturally the planter aristocracy that oversees the operation both underestimates the dangers of the jungle and undervalues the expertise of the natives in managing it. Then the empire decides gather up its young masters and have them compete to die plunder the place the fastest.

And you're reading this, thinking, "Hmm, there's actually some potential here." But no! gently caress you!! That's not even the plot, that's background.

We're barely out of the prologue before an idiot (disguised as another, different type of idiot) accidentally wakes up an eldritch god-monster and half the cast falls into some sort of Burroughs/Haggard/Lovecraft-inspired horror story. We cut between them losing their minds and the other half of the cast- who are literally-millions-of-years-old sword gods- expositing about how everything that is happening right now is hugely significant in the context of things that happened thousands of years ago and trying to out-scheme each other in games of inter-planar politics. Meanwhile, there is: a small-scale civil war, a brief trip through time to a DnD campaign, underground dinosaur people, and a fight between a mountain and the universe that almost destroys the planet. All of this happens before chapter 36 and I haven't mentioned anything that happens to the ostensible main characters because they're completely disconnected from the rest of the story.

Do I like this? I have no idea.

Send help.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I very much appreciate people who recommend so-bad-it's-good things because they have the fortitude to wade through a ton of terrible stuff in order to find the good ones.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I can watch a bad movie and enjoy it because not all of my attention is on the movie. But a bad book just makes me annoyed/mad so I can't even try and read them.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yo that visit to Actelios in TWI v7 is wiiiiild

elmwynn
Jun 17, 2021
Hello all;;

I’m the writer for the Six Chances serial, and I found this forum after noticing I had a referral from it to my web serial a while back… so I thought that maybe I’d shamefully self-plug here since it’s allowed OTL. Anyway, the details…

My web serial is in it’s 3rd part right now with about 500k words. It’s a psychological, mystery, science fantasy, magitech story sent in a 1930s-esque time-period. There *are* multiple POVs but they all converge at the end of each part.

The chapters start out roughly 4-5k words and light-hearted, but then move to become slightly lengthier and darker.

Here’s the overarching blurb:

What would you do if your life, memories, and feelings were suddenly tied to another person?

Six people. One life.
A spoiled prince haunted by a ghost. A big city swindler with a knack for illusions. A cold soldier with a sharp eye. A pirate with a few screws loose. A chieftain’s bookish daughter with carefully bandaged hands. A peacekeeping agent with an eye for vengeance.
After simultaneously knocking on death’s door, these six find themselves psychically connected across national lines. Tensions rise between them and between their respective countries, which are recovering from a long war over the mysterious vitae—an energy source harvested and utilized in weapons and engines called conductors. Loyalty, memory, and sense of self blur as conspiracies encroach.

Assassination attempts, underground weapons dealings, border conflicts, tales of terrifying beasts, and a terrorist organization called ELPIS.
—Everything is connected. Nothing is coincidental. The spark has ignited…!

Contains found family, magitech, parallel plotlines that converge, conspiracies, morally gray characters, Chekhov's guns, and a lot of character development.

Links:
Main website | Royal Road

If it’s not your thing, I still do have some nice character art on the website and RR if you’re bored.

Thanks for reading;;

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Josh Christ posted:

Yo that visit to Actelios in TWI v7 is wiiiiild

This is one of pirateaba's most hosed up chapters, and that it pretty much scars Troy and heavily influences his story going forward is fitting.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

This is one of pirateaba's most hosed up chapters, and that it pretty much scars Troy and heavily influences his story going forward is fitting.

Idk why he's hosed up about it it's just a city inside a cthulhu that I assume is one of the dead gods that isn't really dead where he almost dies learning to do new magic and finds out that the weird service animals are people from earth who ate cthulhu meat what's the big deal

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I’m done with Demesne on RR. The protagonist is a selfish, uncaring rear end in a top hat and I’m tired of reading, from her viewpoint, people convincing her to do the right thing while she complains endlessly about having to do things for other people. It’s a shame, because there’s a lot of interesting things that have been set up, but we’re fifty chapters and several major events in and haven’t gotten any character growth so I’m giving up on ever seeing that.

The last straw was when she was told that there weren’t enough houses to go around and she needed to magic up some more since people were crowded into emergency shelters, to which she replied “this sounds like a ‘fairness’ thing, why do people insist on it when the world is unfair?”

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That reminds me, what's up with Metaworld these days?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That reminds me, what's up with Metaworld these days?

Last I checked in with it, the protagonist was about to go off and conquer the Middle East on behalf of the British Empire. :geno:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

blastron posted:

I think I’m done with Demesne on RR. The protagonist is a selfish, uncaring rear end in a top hat and I’m tired of reading, from her viewpoint, people convincing her to do the right thing while she complains endlessly about having to do things for other people. It’s a shame, because there’s a lot of interesting things that have been set up, but we’re fifty chapters and several major events in and haven’t gotten any character growth so I’m giving up on ever seeing that.

The last straw was when she was told that there weren’t enough houses to go around and she needed to magic up some more since people were crowded into emergency shelters, to which she replied “this sounds like a ‘fairness’ thing, why do people insist on it when the world is unfair?”

the character growth is coming, it's just a super-slow-burn story. it's been like...a month in-universe since the story started? i don't really know why you'd conclude that there's never going to be growth.

whatever works for you tho

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

elmwynn posted:

Hello all;;

I’m the writer for the Six Chances serial, and I found this forum after noticing I had a referral from it to my web serial a while back… so I thought that maybe I’d shamefully self-plug here since it’s allowed OTL. Anyway, the details…

My web serial is in it’s 3rd part right now with about 500k words. It’s a psychological, mystery, science fantasy, magitech story sent in a 1930s-esque time-period. There *are* multiple POVs but they all converge at the end of each part.

If it’s not your thing, I still do have some nice character art on the website and RR if you’re bored.

Thanks for reading;;

Hey, welcome!

Looks good, I'll check it out. (Cough, eventually, cough.)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Last I checked in with it, the protagonist was about to go off and conquer the Middle East on behalf of the British Empire. :geno:

please don't try to win the locals over with spam please don't try to win the locals over with spam

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I read the Last Ship in Suzhou, and that was fun. The characters make no sense as high schoolers, but it was fun.

One thing I kind of like about the series is how the main characters are basically teenagers who were suddenly imbued with some sort of deep wisdom about themselves (which deeply clashes with "being a teenager") and the nature of reality. It makes the more interesting than your average web serial PoV characters.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that the first thing Wistram does when they invent tv is to try to make commercials, and that that awful little nerd blackmage threatens to off himself eith a wand

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I kind of like about the series is how the main characters are basically teenagers who were suddenly imbued with some sort of deep wisdom about themselves (which deeply clashes with "being a teenager") and the nature of reality. It makes the more interesting than your average web serial PoV characters.

That's, ah, I guess that's fair. And I do find them compelling.

But I've had a bug up my rear end for a while about isekai that fail to make a compelling argument for being isekai instead of, y'know, regular-old secondary-world fantasies. And while Last Ship does take pains to establish its protagonists as fully-rounded people with ties and roots in their original world, that it has them immediately transform into daoist sages is...

...well, a good joke on me, at any rate.

e:

Since I linked it, I feel compelled to mention that Memories of the Fall got pretty rapey in the second book. :whitewater:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

elmwynn posted:

Hello all;;

Welcome, not sure it's my kinda thing, but it sounds cool I hope you stick around and keep posting! :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

What?

I was all caught up a week or two ago, and the two MCs were still cosplaying as cultivators because they thought it was funny. And partly because they don't want to die. Alice making that promise has really been a mixed bag for the two of them.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That's, ah, I guess that's fair. And I do find them compelling.

But I've had a bug up my rear end for a while about isekai that fail to make a compelling argument for being isekai instead of, y'know, regular-old secondary-world fantasies. And while Last Ship does take pains to establish its protagonists as fully-rounded people with ties and roots in their original world, that it has them immediately transform into daoist sages is...

...well, a good joke on me, at any rate.

I thought the story did a good job of explaining that. Most of their "sageness" is copying Earth stuff, which is traditional isekai fare. The rest is explained, or I feel at least lampshaded, by them being the "kind of genius who doesn't understand why any of this is a mystery at all."

Absum
May 28, 2013

Hmm, so on PgtE I'm thinking the Tower (the institution and the building) is going to fall, with Akua probably ending up in charge of Praes afterwards but only in the epilogue. For the west, I'm actually hoping the Warden of the West goes to Rozala. She has her oath to the Levant and only thinks of beating the Dead King, while the conflict between the First Prince and the White Knight is slowly escalating and getting less reasonable, which makes for a terrible Warden story given they're in the middle of fighting the Dead King. Just escalate it a bit more and impede the war and have Rozala tell them to gently caress off and the Name's hers. I don't actually expect that to happen atm given the POV's we got, but it'd be neat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

I'm glad that the first thing Wistram does when they invent tv is to try to make commercials, and that that awful little nerd blackmage threatens to off himself eith a wand

This bit was very amusing, and also probably the only good thing Blackmage has ever done.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

This bit was very amusing, and also probably the only good thing Blackmage has ever done.

Ngl I was hoping for commercials, I hate that kid. I get what shes going for, the absolute worst little dweeb who would love being in an isekai because it's just like his animes, but also she succeeded too much and I hate him.

Edit book 7 k chapter spoilers Flos loving executing an entire army and a village on live television is loving HEAVY

Oh god this is going to shake up the gnolls plotline isn't it

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 18, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: Fortunately, it seems like Catherine probably won't be getting the Warden of the East name; it seems like it's actually the Bard's plan for her to get that Name (presumably instead of something more significant and threatening). I'm thinking that Akua might actually end up with that Name instead; she's obviously heading for *something*, has zero real desire to be Dread Empress, and has also developed an actual conscience and genuine concern for the people of Praes.

I'm kind of wondering what the deal with that guy who Akua saved and is following her around is. A lot of the stuff written about him has seemed like it's hinting at something, but not sure what.

LLSix posted:

What?

I was all caught up a week or two ago, and the two MCs were still cosplaying as cultivators because they thought it was funny. And partly because they don't want to die. Alice making that promise has really been a mixed bag for the two of them.

They have an understanding of "the way" (which they perceive as this music) that is very high relative to all the other cultivators they've encountered. Like during the scene on the boat when both him and Alice noticed someone attempting to ascend and understood exactly what was happening, while the others around them didn't. Or when David is giving advice to the son of the guy in the first village they visit. Him and Alice both intuitively understand this stuff at a level higher than most cultivators in the setting.

They've also already gotten into a fight with another cultivator (boat guy) where they easily won, so I'm not sure how you could interpret it as "they've just been tricking everyone." They're completely ignorant about cultivation details and terminology, but understand a certain important aspect of cultivation at a very high level.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 19, 2021

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kind of wondering what the deal with that guy who Akua saved and is following her around is. A lot of the stuff written about him has seemed like it's hinting at something, but not sure what.

I just think he understands that helping her stay afloat may be the best was of getting his revenge on her.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

They've also already gotten into a fight with another cultivator (boat guy) where they easily won, so I'm not sure how you could interpret it as "they've just been tricking everyone." They're completely ignorant about cultivation details and terminology, but understand a certain important aspect of cultivation at a very high level.

I think what you said is what he means about "tricking" people, they really don't understand cultivation as the rest of the world does, instead they seem to have a deeper understanding of what it actually entails. They end up having to lie constantly or make stuff up to try and fit in, all while stumbling into actual power beyond what most people have. I think it makes for some interesting world building, where cultivation has existed for so long in this world that it's essentially a lost art. As someone who doesn't normally enjoy cultivation stories, I am finding this one to be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

I just think he understands that helping her stay afloat may be the best was of getting his revenge on her.

He's basically doing the exact same thing Cat wanted to do, lol

Cinara posted:

I think what you said is what he means about "tricking" people, they really don't understand cultivation as the rest of the world does, instead they seem to have a deeper understanding of what it actually entails. They end up having to lie constantly or make stuff up to try and fit in, all while stumbling into actual power beyond what most people have. I think it makes for some interesting world building, where cultivation has existed for so long in this world that it's essentially a lost art. As someone who doesn't normally enjoy cultivation stories, I am finding this one to be fantastic.

Yeah, this is my view of what's happening and why it's interesting - there's a combination of a "fish out of water" scenario and them having a deeper intuitive understanding of cultivation (that ironically might partially stem from them not having the "blinders" of having the same systematic view of cultivation that most other people in the setting do, though this is more up in the air).

The post I was replying to mentioned that they were doing it "because they didn't want to die" which implies that they were just pulling one over by tricking people into thinking they're strong (when they actually are stronger than the people they've been encountering).