Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

got my copy and i'm getting started today. my ps2 failed after i beat matador and my ps3 save corrupted around then too, looking forwrd to matador killing my switch too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

aside from the patch to fix the music anything else recommended? haven't played this in over a decade, i'm excited

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

aside from the patch to fix the music anything else recommended? haven't played this in over a decade, i'm excited

The hex edit to get 4k

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

mkvltra posted:

Thanks for the posts, these games sound sick, I've had my eye on them for years but not played one yet. The way different religions / mythologies get combined seems really cool. What game should I start with?

youre a loving retard dude. you need to be told this daily apparenlty

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

insane anime posted:

youre a loving retard dude. you need to be told this daily apparenlty

lol this was too far and not proportional to the guys behavior. sorry everyone hahah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the 4th oni in the tunnels is hosed up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

me r/n

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Yeah he's a pain in the rear end

Lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

there is a trick to him i could reveal to you but only in private as to keep the thread pure from unwanted assistance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

there is a trick to him i could reveal to you but only in private as to keep the thread pure from unwanted assistance.

Yeah get the Forlorn Wolf Coat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i figured there was bc usually theres a tell for fights like these in JRPGs...if I die again ill check out the GameFAQ for some tips and tricks.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

i figured there was bc usually theres a tell for fights like these in JRPGs...if I die again ill check out the GameFAQ for some tips and tricks.

it's a pretty good trick tbh lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it's a pretty good trick tbh lol

I died again and had to look it up, it is a good trick and I never woulda figured it out on my own. Even knowing the trick the fight was a pain bc of the constant buff management.

cool box puzzle game in the next town

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
the onis were cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i should have listened...i shouldn't have gone down the cursed hallway...that was a lot of exploration just deleted

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

i should have listened...i shouldn't have gone down the cursed hallway...that was a lot of exploration just deleted

drat RIP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I even got all the way to the door and right before hitting X i got attacked from behind by some hideous blob monsters that annihilated me. Soul crushing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

am i missing something or do the short cuts back to the top of the amala network not open until you've got all the candelabra for the next zone? i back tracked through the 2nd section last night and it was a bit rough

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Len posted:

am i missing something or do the short cuts back to the top of the amala network not open until you've got all the candelabra for the next zone? i back tracked through the 2nd section last night and it was a bit rough

You are correct, but there are ghost ladies who will send you back to the start after robbing you if you agree to get healed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You are correct, but there are ghost ladies who will send you back to the start after robbing you if you agree to get healed

see i knew something was telling me not to trust those ghost ladies

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Getting my rear end kicked constantly on hard mode..

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

went and downloaded Merciful mode and i've been having a much better time about it but it feels way over-correcting in the other direction. switched back to normal and of course now i'm getting wrecked again. ah videogames

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If you're playing on merciful you should just play a different game tbh. You lose so much by cheating yourself out of hard fought victories

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

went and downloaded Merciful mode and i've been having a much better time about it but it feels way over-correcting in the other direction. switched back to normal and of course now i'm getting wrecked again. ah videogames

merciful mode is just pointless. the reason why you play nocturne is because the difficulty makes you think about random encounters and building your team, and that simply doesnt matter in merciful

if you go from merciful where you dont have to think to normal then of course the game seems brutal ... you never actually learned how to play lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When SMT4: Apocalypse came out I was talking to a coworker who I knew liked Persona games and was talking about buying the DLC for Apocalypse. I mentioned that the Cleopatra fight was difficult and asked if he tried it and had any tips. He said he didn't know because he just plays on the easiest difficulty and does auto battle through all the fights. I had to do my best to hide my disgust and I dropped the subject and never brought it up with him again.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kongming posted:

When SMT4: Apocalypse came out I was talking to a coworker who I knew liked Persona games and was talking about buying the DLC for Apocalypse. I mentioned that the Cleopatra fight was difficult and asked if he tried it and had any tips. He said he didn't know because he just plays on the easiest difficulty and does auto battle through all the fights. I had to do my best to hide my disgust and I dropped the subject and never brought it up with him again.

Yeah, I tested the merciful difficulty in Nocturne and it's exactly the same. You can literally just autobattle everything, probably even the boss fights, and heal when necessary. At that point you may as well be playing a clicker game.

Enemies rarely use skills and never use buffs/debuffs. It's beyond pointless lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I played through nocturne on hard mode my first time and I think it made it a much more memorable experience though the only thing I have to confirm that is I remember DDS2 way better than 1 and only one of them has hard mode. In Nocturne I got stuck on the boss of the 4th kalpa for months and he's now one of my favorite demons.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok finally killed matador. unless this breaks my switch this is the farthest i've ever gotten in nocturne

e: onmg the labyrinth of amala looks cool as hell

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
It's so great

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

ok finally killed matador. unless this breaks my switch this is the farthest i've ever gotten in nocturne

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Let people play how they want, if they want to play on merciful let them

Sure Nocturnes story is super bare bones but if they want to experience it who am I to judge

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Naw, in this case they are definitely playing it wrong by essentially being invincible and ignoring the entire battle system

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Naw, in this case they are definitely playing it wrong by essentially being invincible and ignoring the entire battle system

I have been sufficiently shamed by the responses and am going back to normal. Thank you goons

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

There is something about turn-based combat that makes people think that they need to win every fight within 3 turns or else they need to grind/reduce the difficulty. It’s weird.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

teppichporsche posted:

There is something about turn-based combat that makes people think that they need to win every fight within 3 turns or else they need to grind/reduce the difficulty. It’s weird.

I mean I ran into an Oni in the tunnels last night and the fact he took out my A-Team in two hits means I do have to go do some demon negotiation grind

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I have been sufficiently shamed by the responses and am going back to normal. Thank you goons

You'll get the hang of it and your experience will be exponentially more fulfilling in the end, :cheers:

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
May have to lower the difficulty to normal in order to beat this game in time for SMTV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I started playing SMT games on the 3ds and loved all of them, finished them all on normal and found that the difficulty balance was great, strange jounrye had some challenging dungeons but the bosses were manageable, smt4 was harder then most but at least you could save anywhere so it wasn't too bad, then smt 4.5 added retries so it was even easier but I really hate losing progress so it was totally my jam.

But nocturne, man, it is hard even on normal. It is loving drat hard and you lose a lot of progress, all the time. You can't fuse anytime you want, you can't save anytime you want, you can't heal frequently. They added an easy mode but they hosed it up, instead of just making fights slightly easier they just allow you to steamroll everything AND reduce encounter rate, which means you can't recruit enough demons. Why did they do that, I've never seen a game where easy mode reduces encounter rate and makes the game so dissatisfying. It's some sort of hosed up accomplishment.

Normal mode with retries would be my favorite, I'm so glad that auto-game over on deaths seem to be gone from modern rpgs, it just sucks poo poo to lose so much time. At least old-school RPG just took half your cash and let you restart, that's fine.