Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Are radish greens edible? I just pulled my first crop of them, yielding seven (mostly cracked) radishes. The leaves are huge, almost the size of beet greens or swiss chard. I'd hate to have to just throw them on the compost heap if they can be eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Meaty Ore posted:

Are radish greens edible? I just pulled my first crop of them, yielding seven (mostly cracked) radishes. The leaves are huge, almost the size of beet greens or swiss chard. I'd hate to have to just throw them on the compost heap if they can be eaten.

The entire radish plant is edible and delicious. I especially like the flowers and seed pods. Radish leaves are kind of spiny, though, so cook them to get rid of that unpleasant texture. They're good though!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Schmeichy posted:

The entire radish plant is edible and delicious. I especially like the flowers and seed pods. Radish leaves are kind of spiny, though, so cook them to get rid of that unpleasant texture. They're good though!

Thanks! Maybe I should have left the one that was about to bolt in the ground another few days.

I really underestimated how little time it takes for leafy greens to mature. I was in a hurry this year and got transplants for nearly everything. Three weeks later I've got radishes, lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard all ready to be harvested, and beets well along. Meanwhile my summer squash, cantaloupes, bush beans and tomatoes have only now begun to produce their first flowers; broccoli and brussels sprouts haven't generated anything but leaves yet, and just lol at where my peppers are at.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah radish tops are actually the best part of the radish imo. It's a really nice addition to a salad-like arugala but spicier. Like the roots, they are definitely better when they're young and tinder for eating raw. I've never cooked them but I'd think that might be better for tough old ones.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah radish tops are actually the best part of the radish imo. It's a really nice addition to a salad-like arugala but spicier. Like the roots, they are definitely better when they're young and tinder for eating raw. I've never cooked them but I'd think that might be better for tough old ones.

There's a whole bunch or radish varieties that are grown just for this reason. And a whole bunch that are used for microgreens. They're super easy to start and just use for grazing. Kitazawa seed breaks them apart by microgreens too, and there's no reason to not just start a small tray of them on your kitchen counter. They're great for just stirring into whatever or tossing a bunch on top for garnish too. I really like to throw them on top of tacos.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I added another planter to my herb gardening this year and after realizing how dry it has been so far this year, I wanted an easier watering setup. Originally, I had a couple of stake sprinklers daisy chained together but I forgot about them and the one time it froze in the last 18 months, it cracked the housing. This time I wanted to make something a little more elegant. One trip to a locally owned feed and seed later and I got most of it done before dark. I gotta get a few more things tomorrow but I'm happy so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salvor_Hardin posted:

edit: this might be a question more for the home improvement thread but I noticed a couple thick adolescent trees growing very close to the foundation of my house. About 3/4" diameter trunk.

They are too big and close to dig around to remove and too thick to pull out. I think I'm worried about potential structural damage over time. Is there a method for getting those out?

Cut them and within thirty seconds paint the stump with an herbicide like glyphosate.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Cut them and within thirty seconds paint the stump with an herbicide like glyphosate.

Sounds good. I cut them as close to the ground line as I could already so if/when they regrow a bit i'll try this.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I added another planter to my herb gardening this year and after realizing how dry it has been so far this year, I wanted an easier watering setup. Originally, I had a couple of stake sprinklers daisy chained together but I forgot about them and the one time it froze in the last 18 months, it cracked the housing. This time I wanted to make something a little more elegant. One trip to a locally owned feed and seed later and I got most of it done before dark. I gotta get a few more things tomorrow but I'm happy so far.

Have you used those style planters before? I was thinking of getting some for my backyard that faces south but I've read some horror stories about plants getting cooked in the sun in them and always hesitated. They look super nice though so have always been interested in putting in some.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Have you used those style planters before? I was thinking of getting some for my backyard that faces south but I've read some horror stories about plants getting cooked in the sun in them and always hesitated. They look super nice though so have always been interested in putting in some.

These have been amazing. They’re retired horse troughs that got too leaky. I drilled a bunch of weep holes in the bottom of them then put about 6” of gravel in the bottom, followed by about 6” of sand, then composted horse manure and potting soil.

Even the tiniest little weeds I pull out have root systems longer than the plant itself. Not pictured is a raised wooden one I built too but jury is still out on that one.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Farking Bastage posted:

These have been amazing. They’re retired horse troughs that got too leaky. I drilled a bunch of weep holes in the bottom of them then put about 6” of gravel in the bottom, followed by about 6” of sand, then composted horse manure and potting soil.

Even the tiniest little weeds I pull out have root systems longer than the plant itself. Not pictured is a raised wooden one I built too but jury is still out on that one.

Wouldn't 12" of perlite give you the same drainage at a similar cost with a lot less weight? I know "This Old House" suggests styrofoam packing peanuts but I'm not about to go near those if I wasn't forced to.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Wouldn't 12" of perlite give you the same drainage at a similar cost with a lot less weight? I know "This Old House" suggests styrofoam packing peanuts but I'm not about to go near those if I wasn't forced to.

Probably, but I have everything but the potting soil on my property somewhere and a 4' front end loader. I'm lazy :)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Those are super common in my part of the PNW. People will stick them wherever. I’ve not seen anything baking in them unless the people just don’t think they need to ever water anything. But those plants look terrible all year and not just when it’s hot outside.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I think part of that is my house faces dead 240 degrees WSW so those planters by the back patio get about 3/4 of a day of direct sun. At the same time it isn’t exactly hard to grow stuff in Florida with 4 horses 50 yards away constantly making GBS threads out fresh organic matter for compost.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

None of these things will improve drainage if you put a layer of them at the bottom of a pot; you're mostly just reducing the productive depth of the container.

If you actually need better drainage you should mix whatever it is you're using into the soil (be careful mixing sand with anything that has clay in it, though).

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Happy I still have roofs over most of my plants.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

A garden is just a really drawn-out hail-summoning ritual.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Jesus Christ my lettuce heads are enormous. Eight of them, easily a cubic foot each, and they haven't bolted yet. I thought Boston/Bibb-style lettuces tended to be on the small side.

In other newbie gardening news: despite the presence of numerous chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits in the area, they have left all my leafy greens alone. Maybe it's the marigolds I planted around and among them? I've actually had more problems with birds tearing at the leaves of my squash and corn, presumably for nesting materials. In fact, the rodents have planted more than they've taken. I've had to pull out two clusters of what I think were cantaloupe sprouts from seeds they grabbed out of my compost pile. Also, I planted five pie pumpkins in one spot intending to thin later (according to the instructions on the seed packet); two of them came up, and I think one must have been dug up by a chipmunk, moved all the way across the garden, and buried again where it is now growing healthily near my sunflowers.

And now that my various squash plants are beginning to grow, how do I train them to grow up along trellises/poles/other support structures? Last year I tried growing a couple of winter squash plants in a small plot in my front yard, winding the leaves up a support trellis against the house as they grew, but they produced nothing--all the flowers just dropped off the vine without producing a thing. I had more success with volunteer plants from seeds tossed in the compost and let to run along the ground in past years. But I need to impose some sort of order on these things before they take over and choke the life out of everything else.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Meaty Ore posted:

Jesus Christ my lettuce heads are enormous. Eight of them, easily a cubic foot each, and they haven't bolted yet. I thought Boston/Bibb-style lettuces tended to be on the small side.

Almost all of my lettuce survived two several day-long 90+ degree heatwaves with nothing except some cheapo Amazon shade cloth for cover. I assumed it was all a goner, but it's somehow just trucking right along. I've got two decent sized planters of a heat-tolerant lettuce mix just sprouting now and I'm crossing my fingers that I'll actually get another big harvest.

Also, Bibb lettuces can definitely get pretty big, it's just that people mostly harvest the leaves young since the plant will grow back from basically nothing.

quote:

I had more success with volunteer plants from seeds tossed in the compost and let to run along the ground in past years. But I need to impose some sort of order on these things before they take over and choke the life out of everything else.

Going vertical with squash shouldn't really affect their production, so I'd suspect something else here. Most squash plants don't produce tendrils that can really hold their weight, so the best way to get them on a trellis is to just tie them to it so they're forced to grow up. I generally manhandle the hell out of my zucchini plants, right up to the point just bending the stems to do what I want. They won't really ever be happy to grow vertical and you have to keep tying as they go. They're actually really resilient plants, though. In the past, I've scooped out whole sections of the stem to get at vine borers and then just buried the mangled portion and had the plant keep on going like nothing happened.

It's also normal for the male flowers to just fall off after a while, especially early in the plant's life. If you had female flowers falling off, that usually means you've got a pollination problem. They'll drop their flowers if they don't have good access to little friends to help them make babies.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I should have seen this coming, but my wife has been admiring the white butterflies we've seen in our yard... which oh course means we've got an invasion of cabbage white caterpillars on my brussel sprouts. Any tips beyond just hitting them with Bacillus Thuringiensis pesticides?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I should have seen this coming, but my wife has been admiring the white butterflies we've seen in our yard... which oh course means we've got an invasion of cabbage white caterpillars on my brussel sprouts. Any tips beyond just hitting them with Bacillus Thuringiensis pesticides?

Just use the BT. It’s a bacteria, not a pesticide. The other option is pick them off by hand, but just straight BT is not harmful to humans or pollinators. I think you need the BTK version for the caterpillars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
BT and spinosad-based products should be in pretty much everyone's toolbox. They're essentially harmless to everything you don't want to kill and they're effective as hell.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

how effective is asprin-sprays for white poo poo on my drat pumpkin/gourd leaves, or should I get something else?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

how effective is asprin-sprays for white poo poo on my drat pumpkin/gourd leaves, or should I get something else?

Assuming you mean powdery mildew by "white poo poo" and honestly I've never been completely successful treating or fixing it once it shows up. I'm in central NC so humidity is definitely a factor but the only seasons I've had a mildew free run is when I really paid attention to spacing while planting and kept up with pruning, watering at the root, etc.

Safer makes a couple options to try if the homemade stuff isn't working. Their "3 in1" option or the sulfur based fungicide spray are worth a shot.

Aggressive pruning/culling is the only way to really stop it, especially with plants that have already lost over half their leaves. Cut that poo poo out and get it out of the garden completely. Spray what you think will recover.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I have had good results fighting powdery mildew using hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of soap in a spray bottle and aggressively spraying the plant down. Any leaf that has more than half of its surface area covered gets the snip and disposed of away from the garden and compost pile so it doesn’t reinfect anything.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Planted scallions months ago and harvested one bulb today because it had three stalks coming out of it. Turns out it because three scallions! Also harvested a garlic. They all are in the garage curing now. Hopefully they’re ready in a week or two.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Earth posted:

Planted scallions months ago and harvested one bulb today because it had three stalks coming out of it. Turns out it because three scallions! Also harvested a garlic. They all are in the garage curing now. Hopefully they’re ready in a week or two.

You don't have to cure onions or garlic unless you're trying to keep them longer, fyi

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Schmeichy posted:

You don't have to cure onions or garlic unless you're trying to keep them longer, fyi

Yeah, we already harvested one onion and ate it right away. We are wanting to attempt to cure the onions just for the fun of it. The garlic we want to cure because we don't eat enough to want to have it all right away.

Also, I wrote scallions, but I meant to write shallots. I don't think scallions take months to grow. We eat so few scallions I wasn't really interested in attempting to grow them this year. Three shallots are harvested, one white onion, and one garlic. We ate the onion and are attempting to cure the rest. Our peas (sugar snap and regular peas) have been fantastic growers and producers this year. I learned that about six of each produce about two frozen bags from the store. The peas are almost done for the season though as the heat is coming in. It sure looks like the heat is cooking those pea vines alive. Strawberries have finally exploded and are hoping for some good ones. Three blueberry bushes are attempting to survive. I bought some cocoa mulch from Menards (https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...29945325&ipos=1) and put that down for the bushes. Apparently blueberry bushes love that mulch. The raspberries have produced wonderfully and I'm going to try to make some raspberry ice cream with them.

Everything is really turning out great so far.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anyone do any hydroponic stuff?
i bought some glass plant holders from aliexpress and started stuffing stems of herbs i bought at the asian grocery in them to see if they'd sprout roots. they all did. then lovely colorado weather encouraged me to get more serious about indoor growing, and i bought an air pump and made some containers into water culture systems. then i decided to try a spray system but the sprayers were all leaky so then i decided the best thing i could do would be a recirculating system where multiple bins receive water from a single reservoir.
over all of this i went to the local hydroponic shop and hardware stores five or six times between days at work, spent way more than i expected on neoprene basket fillers, bought 100 ft of the wrong thickness reflective mylar [through ebay, from some bastard who dropshipped an amazon purchase of 50ft of the stuff to me, leaving the receipt in the box], and amassed several humble piles of hydroton, rockwool, and plant nutrients.
the drain holes in the bins are high enough that there's a half inch of water left in each if the pump turns off, so i think im going to get a timer for the pump tomorrow and run it 15min on/off so it's not on all the time...

i'm also keen on growing stuff outdoors from seeds of vegetables i buy at the store; i've got way too many mystery tomato plants, and three potato bags growing from random potato slices i threw in.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Attempting to grow outdoors in Colorado after having done it in Texas is a fairly humbling experience and has made me regret giving away my weed growing gear.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Earth posted:

Yeah, we already harvested one onion and ate it right away. We are wanting to attempt to cure the onions just for the fun of it. The garlic we want to cure because we don't eat enough to want to have it all right away.

Also, I wrote scallions, but I meant to write shallots. I don't think scallions take months to grow. We eat so few scallions I wasn't really interested in attempting to grow them this year. Three shallots are harvested, one white onion, and one garlic. We ate the onion and are attempting to cure the rest. Our peas (sugar snap and regular peas) have been fantastic growers and producers this year. I learned that about six of each produce about two frozen bags from the store. The peas are almost done for the season though as the heat is coming in. It sure looks like the heat is cooking those pea vines alive. Strawberries have finally exploded and are hoping for some good ones. Three blueberry bushes are attempting to survive. I bought some cocoa mulch from Menards (https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...29945325&ipos=1) and put that down for the bushes. Apparently blueberry bushes love that mulch. The raspberries have produced wonderfully and I'm going to try to make some raspberry ice cream with them.

Everything is really turning out great so far.

Yeah you confused the heck out of me by saying scallions. I harvested some green onions myself this weekend. You just snip the tops, dice them and freeze or dry them if you're not using right away. And they grow back readily.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Does anyone have any expertise wrt arsenic water and crops?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

i am harry posted:

anyone do any hydroponic stuff?
i bought some glass plant holders from aliexpress and started stuffing stems of herbs i bought at the asian grocery in them to see if they'd sprout roots. they all did. then lovely colorado weather encouraged me to get more serious about indoor growing, and i bought an air pump and made some containers into water culture systems. then i decided to try a spray system but the sprayers were all leaky so then i decided the best thing i could do would be a recirculating system where multiple bins receive water from a single reservoir.
over all of this i went to the local hydroponic shop and hardware stores five or six times between days at work, spent way more than i expected on neoprene basket fillers, bought 100 ft of the wrong thickness reflective mylar [through ebay, from some bastard who dropshipped an amazon purchase of 50ft of the stuff to me, leaving the receipt in the box], and amassed several humble piles of hydroton, rockwool, and plant nutrients.
the drain holes in the bins are high enough that there's a half inch of water left in each if the pump turns off, so i think im going to get a timer for the pump tomorrow and run it 15min on/off so it's not on all the time...

i'm also keen on growing stuff outdoors from seeds of vegetables i buy at the store; i've got way too many mystery tomato plants, and three potato bags growing from random potato slices i threw in.

There is a hydroponics thread you should check out.

I've done DWC and Kratky, but have not done anything yet that involves moving fluid between containers.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

Attempting to grow outdoors in Colorado after having done it in Texas is a fairly humbling experience and has made me regret giving away my weed growing gear.

In 2019 we went to the beach in the middle of summer for two weeks so I took all my plants and put them in a paddling pool filled with water in the shade.
Returned and they were all doing fantastic, so I put them out properly again and a month later an hour of golfball sized hail came through and totally shredded everything.

Here’s the hydroponic system:

i am harry posted:

Here’s a recirculating system I made. Water is pumped into 1/4” pipe at the back of each bin and comes out the holes of t splitters, then flows to the front and out into the drainage tubes that go back down to the reservoir under the table. An air pump hangs and pushes oxygen into air stones in the reservoir.
The baskets sit in the tray held in holes I cut into reflective mylar sheets, and everything is sort of designed to be interchangeable; like if I grew a big weed plant I could get more mylar and cut a bigger hole, get a larger tray…there’s also room in the tent to transfer something big into a bucket and pipe the drainage water through that and then back into the reservoir.

And here’s some mint growing in a sack:

i am harry fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 14, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I want to grow dill outside, in zone 7a, starting now (temperatures are already hitting 90F). Do I have any hope?

I have parts of my yard that are full sun, and parts that are shaded in the morning/afternoon.

I was hoping to grow it in a 5 gallon bucket. I could get some food-safe ones if leaching is an issue.

I also see stuff about hot temperature and bolting. Would a planter bag be better for my awful summer climate to keep the plants from overheating? ( I know I need to pick something at least 12“ deep for the taproot, which seems to mean at least a 10 gallon bag.)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The last time I posted my tomatoes here you guys were like wow, you need to prune your tomatoes! And it was true, and that's what I did, but for this one plant it was too little too late as I already had that fungus on the lower leaves and it ended up necessitating two rounds of aggressive trimming right on the heels of the big pruning. That stressed the plant the gently caress out, I guess, because the leaves curled up a little and it just stopped doing anything at all for a month. The leaves at this point are very dark green, curled upward and leathery, but otherwise aren't dry and have no obvious signs of infection anywhere. I've moved it out of full sun and kept watering it and now there's finally one sprig of new growth there, but it's really floppy like it needs water after a good watering this morning so I think this plant is just all hosed up.

At least the thyme is happy. Is there anything I can do for the tomato? Just ride it out, or can I maybe help it somehow?

My other tomato is doing well and has a bunch of big tomatoes on the vine and they had absolutely the same soil and water/fertilizer regimen up until the lovely one derailed:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 15, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

effika posted:

I want to grow dill outside, in zone 7a, starting now (temperatures are already hitting 90F). Do I have any hope?

I have parts of my yard that are full sun, and parts that are shaded in the morning/afternoon.

I was hoping to grow it in a 5 gallon bucket. I could get some food-safe ones if leaching is an issue.

I also see stuff about hot temperature and bolting. Would a planter bag be better for my awful summer climate to keep the plants from overheating? ( I know I need to pick something at least 12“ deep for the taproot, which seems to mean at least a 10 gallon bag.)

You can try using some shade cloth. The bucket or planting bag would each work just fine, just be sure to drill enough holes for drainage in the bucket. The most important time to shade will be in the afternoon, so anything you can do to keep the air flowing and the sun from baking it will help. Putting it in the morning sun and then maybe using shade cloth too might help you get your dill. Or it might bolt anyway. Sometimes plants just do what they want anyway.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jhet posted:

You can try using some shade cloth. The bucket or planting bag would each work just fine, just be sure to drill enough holes for drainage in the bucket. The most important time to shade will be in the afternoon, so anything you can do to keep the air flowing and the sun from baking it will help. Putting it in the morning sun and then maybe using shade cloth too might help you get your dill. Or it might bolt anyway. Sometimes plants just do what they want anyway.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some afternoon shade worked out for it to give it a fighting chance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got my first strawberry!

My two plants are growing a ton and Im starting to have several flowers but only one piece of fruit so far. Is it normal for them to not produce much this early in the season or in their first year? I live in MN and am hoping I can keep my raised beds insulated enough to let them survive through the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hey, so does anyone know what's going on with my tomatoes? The plant is a bush goliath (https://bonnieplants.com/product/bush-goliath-tomato/) planted in a large container.

The green tomatoes have these weird brown lesions on them:

I was thinking blossom rot initially, but the lesions aren't always directly where the flowers were. I'm in metro Atlanta, and we've had alternating wet and dry weather the last couple of weeks if that makes a difference.

Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?