Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How about this: gently caress brands telling me what to do. At this point I will keep saying Legos just because it annoys the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Lol yes saying Legos is a considered anti-capitalist stance instead of pig-headed American exceptionalism

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They're LEGO interlocking building block toys and referring to them as anything but is a hate crime against the Danes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao being wrong on purpose to spite people who will never know you exist

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

A Bad Poster posted:

How about this: gently caress brands telling me what to do. At this point I will keep saying Legos just because it annoys the company.

great name/post synergy

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
What??! You are all crazy to argue about this :allears:

We always said 'my Legos'/'playing with Legos'... and we will never stop (not-US).
Please, go build something rather than argue here in the thread. :dance:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it every time, "Legos" has huge "grandparent that calls every game system a Nintendo" or every hand-held a "gameboy"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oxyclean posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it every time, "Legos" has huge "grandparent that calls every game system a Nintendo" or every hand-held a "gameboy"

If you don't want to be called a gameboy, stop playing gameboy games!
Also, what's a Pee Espy?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Loki Kunti posted:

What??! You are all crazy to argue about this :allears:

We always said 'my Legos'/'playing with Legos'... and we will never stop (not-US).
Please, go build something rather than argue here in the thread. :dance:

every time you say Legos the CIA overthrows the legitimate government of a third world country

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

every time you say Legos the CIA overthrows the legitimate government of a third world country

So... Tuesday?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

How are both sides of this argument the worst and how does it play out the same way every time?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Oxyclean posted:

An eye-opening realization as I've had kids and gotten older - they do this on purpose to gently caress with you.

Also, we should all unite to mock corporate branding, even by companies we love. Imagine being the tools that work in that field, lol. Almost as bad as advertising.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Oh my god I am desperate to talk about anything else at all.

Here's another Bricklink Design Program update. The Sheriff's Safe has been worked into what is likely its production design.

Original:

Updated:

The gray hinges are a bummer, but not difficult to fix. The swap from gold to yellow/gray was predictable. The lack of a printed dial is a huge bummer! There still appear to be unique prints, so either printing on the 4 x 4 dish was an issue for some reason, or they prioritized the wrong thing because I would much rather have the printed dial than the wanted poster. The revolver is also missing now (thanks to LEGO's urging) but it's just a few pieces and could easily be re-added.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: choosing IDEAS projects that were turned down before, as opposed to soliciting new builds for the BDP, still feels like a huge mistake. Builders were previously able to use all kinds of impossible colors and prints in their IDEAS designs since it would become LEGO's job to turn them into sets, producing new recolors and prints where needed to do so. With the BDP, however, now it falls on the designers to solve their own issues and create something that resembles their own original submission as closely as possible within an entirely new set of rules, or else risk disappointing fans who will feel let down if the resultant set is too different from the original submission. It's just an annoying situation that could have been avoided, and successfully WAS avoided, by taking the more contest-like approach. What could the designer have possibly done with this safe, besides what they did: make it close enough?

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 16, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

no. those are the people who call best-lock "legos"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sloppy posted:

Also, we should all unite to mock corporate branding, even by companies we love. Imagine being the tools that work in that field, lol. Almost as bad as advertising.

Yeah I wouldn't want to go to bat for corporations, it's just more of a language or grammar point to me - 'Lego' has always been both the singular and the plural, in the same way as other words in English. Legos sounds as weird to me as sheeps or fishes. Obviously I was being partially facetious earlier, people just use whatever terminology is most common where they grew up, and then end up arguing about it on the internet years later because of the strong nostalgic associations it has for us. I can respect 'we call them legos because that's what our parents called them' a lot more than 'we call them legos to stick it to a corporation and those Europeans who tell us we're wrong', though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speaking of all this I noticed this category in my google photos the other day

Google photos categories are weird ways to look at your life

Weedle
May 31, 2006

right-most column looking v. foreboding

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The world is a vampire

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Carbohydrates posted:

Original:

Updated:

Man yeah, I guess it's unavoidable but that in contrast to the ideas sets which imo have always been improved by the redesigns, this feels like a step down in every way. Maybe the original photo hid it better too, but I feel like the new colors reveal the blockiness/simplicity of the core build too; the gold trim caught my eye enough to ignore that before, but now it sticks out.

Shame because it was one of my favorites from its Ideas wave, but like you say I guess there are constraints that the fan designer won't really be able to work around. Curious how the other redesigns will turn out; I guess internally I was kind of expecting Ideas-style redesigns on all of the submissions, but I guess that's not gonna happen at all.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If saying LEGO puts me in with the pedants who refuse to accept irregardless as a word then I am on the right side of history.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Luca Brasi steps on the legos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sloppy posted:

An eye-opening realization as I've had kids and gotten older - they do this on purpose to gently caress with you.

Yeah, I kept saying "Doug Vader" around my nephew now matter how many times he corrected me that it was Darth Vader. I know it's Darth Vader, I've known since I was a kid, but saying "Doug Vader" is more fun.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Lmao being wrong on purpose to spite people who will never know you exist

Cloks posted:

great name/post synergy

Oxyclean posted:

I could let it slide but

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They're LEGO interlocking building block toys and referring to them as anything but is a hate crime against the Danes.
This reddit type post of just saying the most extreme opposite of what you believe isn’t really sarcasm but it also isn’t really humour either. Nobody is coming close to arguing this so I don’t see who is owned by the exaggeration. But honestly

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh my god I am desperate to talk about anything else at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Leh go

or

Lay go

discuss.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I kept saying "Doug Vader" around my nephew now matter how many times he corrected me that it was Darth Vader. I know it's Darth Vader, I've known since I was a kid, but saying "Doug Vader" is more fun.

Lmao my daughter likes a craft YouTube called Slime Sam and I always say Sime Slam, she gets so mad

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

Now I'm imagining a Robot Chicken skit or something where Doug Vader keeps getting Darth Vader's voicemail.

"There's like 50,000 people on the Executor, and trillions of people in the galaxy. There's bound to be some overlap."

"But I did a Google search before deciding on my Sith name and 'Vader' had zero hits."

"Yeah, well, it's been my family name for like, twenty three generations. Wait, you're not going to kill me and my entire bloodline just to..."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is legit the angriest thread I have bookmarked. Why do people get so mad about toys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xzzy posted:

This is legit the angriest thread I have bookmarked. Why do people get so mad about toys.

Transference.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I could let it slide but

This reddit type post of just saying the most extreme opposite of what you believe isn’t really sarcasm but it also isn’t really humour either. Nobody is coming close to arguing this so I don’t see who is owned by the exaggeration. But honestly

It was called a joke, maybe one day Legos will release a set and you too can make one! :v:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Leh go

or

Lay go

discuss.

"Les go" pronounced the french way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
League-o

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man with this post count I thought maybe the next UCS set had leaked or something

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hopper posted:

"Les go" pronounced the french way.

L’egaux

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dogen posted:

Man with this post count I thought maybe the next UCS set had leaked or something

Yeah, Ultimate Crybaby Series.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

lmao

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

xzzy posted:

It's because most AFOLs are man-children. It's why I got out of flipping Legos.

If you really want to have fun call Anime "cartoons" and Manga "comics" to fans.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

:laffo:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I don’t really care at all about the Mario sets as a whole, but man, that airship is a day 1 purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

Do you want a new thread title? This is how you get a new thread title