Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That still looks like blossom end rot to me at least. You could try adding some calcium and see if that helps at all. I'd also pick one and look through it for any bugs or signs of bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I agree that it still looks like blossom end rot

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
All Atlanta gardeners should know the name Walter Reeves. Seriously, this guy has been the GA horticulture god for my entire lifetime. Any issue you have, he’ll have a write up on.

https://www.walterreeves.com/food-gardening/blossom-end-rot-on-tomato-and-pepper/

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

effika posted:

I want to grow dill outside, in zone 7a, starting now (temperatures are already hitting 90F). Do I have any hope?

Seconding what Jhet said. I grow dill "out of season" all the time here in Phoenix because I'm a dill-loving maniac. If you can give it just enough shade (which may mean your natural shade or may mean some shade cloth), nine times out of ten it'll be fine. The tenth time, the weather has a weird blip and it bolts. Such is life.

Frankly, you're probably making the right choice trying to container grow this time of year. Plopped straight into my garden, summer dill gets unmanageably huge in short order.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi, wondering if I can get some help with grow light LEDs? I'm in australia which like, you'd think we'd have infinity sun but my appartment has no windows on 1 side of the house and an overly covered balcony, we actually get no direct sun at all this time of year.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Upgraded-Adjustable-Dimmable-Hydroponics-Spectrum/dp/B08CH8H33C/

I read the reddit wiki and it just said LEDs are a good choice for a beginner. Will I be fine with something like this to start off with?

Thats my current arrangement, I'm going to move the donkey tail to its own pot though and make sure it gets a lot closer to the light than the rest

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Blurple” lamps are outdated.

White LEDs now give more useful photons per watt in addition to being much more pleasing to the eye.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They make white LED growlights if you're using them for decorative plants.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

“Blurple” lamps are outdated.

White LEDs now give more useful photons per watt in addition to being much more pleasing to the eye.

would you have any idea where to start looking? is amazon reliable?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Miss Broccoli posted:

would you have any idea where to start looking? is amazon reliable?

Amazon isn’t what it used to be, but sure, you can get a fine lamp on Amazon. You might pay a premium versus Aliexpress for no gain in reliability, but it may ship faster, too.

Samsung’s LM401H, LM401B, LM561H and LM561C are the best or among the best LEDs. They’re good search terms to find lamps that use them or want to piggyback on their reputation.

“Quantum board” is a brand name for a good lamp that a lot of the knockoffs include as a keyword.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Amazon isn’t what it used to be, but sure, you can get a fine lamp on Amazon. You might pay a premium versus Aliexpress for no gain in reliability, but it may ship faster, too.

Samsung’s LM401H, LM401B, LM561H and LM561C are the best or among the best LEDs. They’re good search terms to find lamps that use them or want to piggyback on their reputation.

“Quantum board” is a brand name for a good lamp that a lot of the knockoffs include as a keyword.

GE makes some decent white bulbs now as well if you have fixtures you want to put them in. Barrina also makes reasonable whitish stick lights if you want those. Both easily available on Amazon at least in the US.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unfortunately, I'm in Aus. Seems like shopping while sick and a day after the vaccine is not easy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

LED indoor lights:

I’ve got a 1000w vivosun, and a 1200w king

Both ~$100-120. King has blue and red wavelength switches that can be turned on and off separately, vivosun has a 4 step dimming dial.

Both seem fine, my plants are happy under the king with just the blue switch on at the moment.
I don’t think it makes too much difference what you get unless you’re looking to churn out lots of weed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have an indoor grow light for some plants, it works ok. it's one of the clamp on ones i tore apart and zip tied into a display case to keep my cat from eating the plants inside.

i didn't know white ones are better now though, when these die i'll definitly look into replacing them because it looks like im growing weed in my living room from the window.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Even weed growers are on white full spectrum. You’d just use the warm/daylight to boost red/blue ends.

The LEDs you can just generate get at the store are all much better than most old growers expect. Just LEDs off the shelf will be good enough for a lot of uses, but it is necessary to figure out where the light is going still.

If I didn’t already have a large number of lights for my space I’d grab LEDs that could adjust to either end of the spectrum so I could have veg and flower settings for my peppers.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Two days ago I found a massive caterpillar on my penta, it was about 2.5 inches long, brown, and had yellow stripes on the back. I drowned it in a bucket of soapy water because I figured this was what's been eating my plant leaves. Yesterday everything seemed fine but then I came out again this morning and something has chewed up my calibrachoa's leaves and my basil was dead. Stem was completely black, the leaves had been ravaged by something and then the survivors were blackened and mushy. Funnily enough my rosemary is thriving and just getting taller.

I have no idea what was eating it. I tried the DIY stuff of water/dish soap/vegetable oil but it never helped and maybe it attracted more of whatever was killing it. IDK what to do about it. At least I've got my rosemary and the flowers are still trying to grow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HIJK posted:

IDK what to do about it.

BT

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

It seems that there's multiple types of BT, would BT kurstaki be the place to start?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HIJK posted:

It seems that there's multiple types of BT, would BT kurstaki be the place to start?

Sorry, yeah, that's the stuff. You can find it almost anywhere locally. And definitely online. Works a treat for caterpillars. Totally non-toxic to mammals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Just went out into the garden to harvest some onion greens for making stock and they were uncomfortably hot to the touch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

Even weed growers are on white full spectrum. You’d just use the warm/daylight to boost red/blue ends.

The LEDs you can just generate get at the store are all much better than most old growers expect. Just LEDs off the shelf will be good enough for a lot of uses, but it is necessary to figure out where the light is going still.

If I didn’t already have a large number of lights for my space I’d grab LEDs that could adjust to either end of the spectrum so I could have veg and flower settings for my peppers.

Right now for weed lights like this are all the rage, direct from china w/ LM301H + IR diodes

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

Right now for weed lights like this are all the rage, direct from china w/ LM301H + IR diodes

Yeah, those would grow plants pretty well. The thing I like about LED boards is that you get a wider and even coverage compared to T5s or T8s, and much better than just a regular bulb shape. Which is why I had to use 3 of them on a shelf that was only 16” deep for my peppers and starts. And I still needed a reflexive sheet to make it work well. I should have gotten another set that was in the 3000 range for fruiting, but I never got around to it. Those might look like overkill, but they’d make some really good starts and let you grow things all year.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I am a big fan of the 3’ 4K shop lights from home depot for $15. I’m up to 9 of them now for my indoor hydro lettuce grow op and couldn’t be happier about the fact that there isn’t an obnoxious purple glow in the room, and that the plants are growing faster than we can eat. Running all of them hardly registers on my electric bill too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Miss Broccoli posted:

Hi, wondering if I can get some help with grow light LEDs? I'm in australia which like, you'd think we'd have infinity sun but my appartment has no windows on 1 side of the house and an overly covered balcony, we actually get no direct sun at all this time of year.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Upgraded-Adjustable-Dimmable-Hydroponics-Spectrum/dp/B08CH8H33C/

I read the reddit wiki and it just said LEDs are a good choice for a beginner. Will I be fine with something like this to start off with?

Thats my current arrangement, I'm going to move the donkey tail to its own pot though and make sure it gets a lot closer to the light than the rest

Bunnings sells grow lights, I just went and grabbed one with very little other research and my plant seems happy with it but I'm not a plant expert. But if you just want something you can go buy immediately that's the place to go (you might need a bigger Bunnings rather than a smaller one).

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah any white LED will do it if you get enough of them.

Purpose‐built grow lights put a lot of light in a small package and can be more economical if you’re growing at high intensity. If you have more modest demands, lamps sold for general illumination may be more economical.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

i am harry posted:

LED indoor lights:

I’ve got a 1000w vivosun, and a 1200w king

Both ~$100-120. King has blue and red wavelength switches that can be turned on and off separately, vivosun has a 4 step dimming dial.

Both seem fine, my plants are happy under the king with just the blue switch on at the moment.
I don’t think it makes too much difference what you get unless you’re looking to churn out lots of weed.

wait, hold on a minute here.

Do those lights actually draw 1 to 1.2kW ? or are they the light equivalent to a thousand Watt HPS, or whatever?

I'm imagining a 1200W LED to pretty much be hellishly intense.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

For some reason a lot of american consumer grow LEDs add an extra zero to the wattage to get the model number. Those are probably drawing 100/120w

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At that price, there’s no way it’s over two hundred watts actual, and probably substantially less.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah it's all vanity sizing with LED actual draw being written in very small font (often even being that overstated) and a weird equivalent to an old lamp drawing xxx watts loudly shouted.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, that seems more reasonable.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I almost killed this curry leaf tree aka sweet neem w/ fertilizer this spring and it's finally sprung back w/ lots of healthy looking new growth, but this is also happening:

Some ants seem to be into it so I thought aphids maybe, but I could find only a single black speck that was actually a living, mobile bug. Almost all of them are just kind of scabbed over and rub off and get on your hands if you touch them. Anyone know what the hell?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
All of those scabs are alive, it's a pest called scale. You want to spray it down with neem or soapy solution/rub them off

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I almost killed this curry leaf tree aka sweet neem w/ fertilizer this spring and it's finally sprung back w/ lots of healthy looking new growth, but this is also happening:

Some ants seem to be into it so I thought aphids maybe, but I could find only a single black speck that was actually a living, mobile bug. Almost all of them are just kind of scabbed over and rub off and get on your hands if you touch them. Anyone know what the hell?

That looks like tree scale to me. Hard or soft scale it’s a pest that feeds on the sap and you’ll want to get rid of it. The ants are there because of the honeydew. You can rub them off, but they don’t move much as adults, and the adolescent stage can be difficult to see.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ah I totally forgot I need a curry tree!!

B33rChiller posted:

Ok, that seems more reasonable.

Yeah I don’t really have any other way to describe the models I got besides the way they self-title the things.
I don’t know anything about lighting but it doesn’t seem like it would be necessary to spend multiple hundreds for illumination in a personal grow area

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I use some incredibly cheap (I forget exactly what I paid, but <$100 for 4 a few years ago) LED grow lights from home depot to do indoor lettuce and they work fine. I'm sure they're not sufficient for doing anything too serious, but we grow a fuckton of lettuce under them so it really doesn't seem like you need anything particularly pricy for basic stuff. Last summer we produced enough lettuce for ourselves and our parents, and we still gave away a ton to other people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ugggghhhh got some nasty-rear end three-lined potato beetles/their larvae on my tomatillos. I've spraying them with a spray that is a combo of sulphur and fatty potassium salts, but I guess ideally I need to use a spiro-containing spray.

Or maybe DE would work? I've already got that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You should be able to just pick them off for a few days and be done with it. Or…

UMN ag extension posted:

If a pesticide is required, use permethrin or esfenvalerate to reduce their numbers

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in the UK and made the mistake of going away for a couple of days. I came back to discover squirrels had pulled up the salad leaves and tumbling tomato seedlings that were in the hanging planters, despite the netting. We had a very cold and wet May so the growing season was delayed, and I'm hoping that the seeds I sowed today will be fine.

I'm so tired of the squirrels!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You know what doesn't give a poo poo about triple digit heat? Bitter melons. Those volunteer bitter melons (or whatever you call it when you "force" volunteers by encouraging self-sowing) are starting to develop their first fruit of the season:

In bad news, it looks like I'm going to get a much smaller Sichuan peppercorn crop than in previous years. After a very promising start--the plant put out way more buds than it has in any previous year--it looks like the majority of them failed to set fruit. There are a bunch of developing peppercorns, but the number is maybe a quarter of the total buds the plant put out in Spring, and it's going to be a substantially smaller harvestable crop of peppercorns later in the year compared to last year. Some green peppercorns:

Long bean plants are growing like crazy but still haven't started to produce, but they'll probably be good. And I discovered the location of the obligatory ground cherry volunteer, which true to form is more vigorous than the ones that got planted intentionally. Also have a towering tomatillo that has to have germinated from seed that's over a year old, because the bed where it decided to come up didn't have any tomatillos in it last year.

All-around it's been a demotivational year so far--almost all of the Spring planting got hammered by a bunch of weird cycles of alternating hot and cold weather that left almost everything stunted or bolting, and the only plants that are really doing well this season so far are the long beans, cukes, and the miscellaneous volunteers (which I guess are self-selecting for tolerance for the stupid weather changes).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Miss Broccoli posted:

Unfortunately, I'm in Aus. Seems like shopping while sick and a day after the vaccine is not easy

These are the lights that I use on my plants indoors/during winter and I love them. They are perfect for succulents and give off plenty of output, enough to cause some nice light stress if that’s your deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082ZL1Q63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4ACCW7QVNARK452590G7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

they come in packs of 4 and 6, two sizes, and in white/yellow/purple. I have them in white and it’s a bit clinical, but I like it for my setup. Yellow would probably be more pleasing to the eyes in a living room, but both look way better than oldschool purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I've been really impressed with my Barinas, but if I'd known they had a white version, I'd have gotten that instead of the purple ones, as the purple ones are definitely not pleasant on the eyes.