Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

MarcusSA posted:

Has there been any more information about natural immunity after having COVID? I know someone posted an article about a month or so back about people still having immunity a year later but is there new information about it?

The article seemed to state that immunity lasted much longer than previously thought.

I recall reading that as well but I can't find it. Part of the problem is that people aren't getting re-infected with the same strain, and the lack of cross immunity between wildtype/B.1.1.7 and variants like B.1.351 and P.1 was found to be concerning.. worrying

So what is probably more interesting is 'natural immunity' vs delta(pre-print):

Sensitivity of B.1.617.2 to sera from convalescent individuals at 6 and 12 months post-infection posted:

Between 76% and 92% of the individuals neutralized the four strains at M6. The fraction of neutralizers was lower in the second cohort at M12, a phenomenon which was particularly marked for B.1.617.2., 89% of individuals neutralized B.1.1.7 and only 48% neutralized B.1.617.2

Eric Topol is very non-doomposty but this seems germane:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1405960603991113732

There are only a few countries that have counted on their "naturally gained immunity" as part of their national strategy; India and Brazil both boosted of this in the past.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

So then it's either universal masking or, hear me out hear, not reopening, or restricting it to specific teams. Instead they're brining in carnival bullshit and saying it's voluntary but encouraged to come in. ( not us though. It's mandatory)

The entire company has been 97% remote since last March and we've outperformed whatever BS financial metrics are hip with do-nothing executives.

I am honestly surprised that companies don't realize that remote work=less overhead for them.

There are some jobs you have to do in person. The vast majority of white-collar ones, not so much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am honestly surprised that companies don't realize that remote work=less overhead for them.

There are some jobs you have to do in person. The vast majority of white-collar ones, not so much.
You would think that, but I feel like for a lot of these companies it's really about control as opposed to cost savings.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

You would think that, but I feel like for a lot of these companies it's really about control as opposed to cost savings.

which says so much about how stupid corporate America has become. Intelligent companies should be looking to cut costs like these, show a green-minded PR bunch of bullshit, and encourage employee loyalty/enthusiastic recruiting by allowing employees to "work from anywhere" and still get their benefits/decent pay. They're more worried about forcing people's faces to the grindstone and staring over their shoulder than looking at data that proves they can do better than they were pre-pandemic.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

which says so much about how stupid corporate America has become. Intelligent companies should be looking to cut costs like these, show a green-minded PR bunch of bullshit, and encourage employee loyalty/enthusiastic recruiting by allowing employees to "work from anywhere" and still get their benefits/decent pay. They're more worried about forcing people's faces to the grindstone and staring over their shoulder than looking at data that proves they can do better than they were pre-pandemic.

I think (as may have been mentioned earlier in this thread or the previous iteration) that a fair amount of the push to return to in person work is coming from middle management who have realized how utterly non-essential their jobs actually are. I think this particular bit of stupidity is motivated by self-interest. That's not good of course, but it's marginally better than being motivated by stupidity or spite (which are the only other reasons I can come up with for forcing people to work in person rather than from home).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1406035496199983104?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Castaign posted:

I think (as may have been mentioned earlier in this thread or the previous iteration) that a fair amount of the push to return to in person work is coming from middle management who have realized how utterly non-essential their jobs actually are. I think this particular bit of stupidity is motivated by self-interest. That's not good of course, but it's marginally better than being motivated by stupidity or spite (which are the only other reasons I can come up with for forcing people to work in person rather than from home).
A lot of it is stupidity. My wife works for a Fortune 100 company, and prior to Covid the company was extremely reluctant to let any employees work from home. However, they had purchased a rival company and despite the merger, those employees have been working from home the entire time. Now the company is trying to get people back into the office in the fall, but are again not going to require employees from the merged company to have to do this. Needless to say this is not going over well. The company has also repeatedly admitted that their productivity has not fallen at all since the company had to go completely WFH beginning last March. It's really just because they want to be able to keep close tabs on their employees.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Indonesia is practically on our doorstep and things are looking pretty bad over there right now but I haven't heard a peep out of anyone here about it

Related sad thing, the original Indonesian article gives a few reasons like children specific ICU rooms not being available in most hospitals and there are fewer doctors and nurses now than there were at the beginning of the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/yennikwok/status/1405905351250046982?s=20

ABC are good at covering the pandemic over there though because they've got a few Indonesian reporters and the Indonesian language section, but with 9news it's just things like this so I imagine the average Australian has no idea that things are getting worse over there.

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1405658612966457344?s=20

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of it is stupidity. My wife works for a Fortune 100 company, and prior to Covid the company was extremely reluctant to let any employees work from home. However, they had purchased a rival company and despite the merger, those employees have been working from home the entire time. Now the company is trying to get people back into the office in the fall, but are again not going to require employees from the merged company to have to do this. Needless to say this is not going over well. The company has also repeatedly admitted that their productivity has not fallen at all since the company had to go completely WFH beginning last March. It's really just because they want to be able to keep close tabs on their employees.

Unionize and strike

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

blunt posted:

But also don't use these because they're garbage

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chem.../99/web/2021/06

Yeah.

Whatever you want to say about the FDA, that's about a strong a statement as you can make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I don't wish covid on anyone but this guy has a massive public platform to spout his anti-vax bullshit and the only time I've seen people like this change their minds is if they or a close family member got a bad case. Of course there's also lots of examples where someone got covid and still kept denying it was real even as the nurses were feeding the vent tube down their throats so maybe not even then. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Bease11/status/1405971914607239172

It also doesn't help that many of the celebrities and politicians and public figures who did catch covid also chose to keep quiet about and maybe mention it offhand after they'd recovered.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s also the odd case where the guy dies of COVID and his social media ghouls continue to downplay the virus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's this bizarre belief in the US that admitting you got sick is a sign of weakness or even some kind of moral flaw so you've got these people who insist on coming to work if they've got a cold or bragging about how they never get sick or bragging about their high pain tolerance etc etc.. I guess it's a byproduct of the whole Rugged Individualism thing they've got going on and never admitting vulnerability is a huge part of some people's personalities, which I guess also explains why certain people were so incredibly angry about being made to wear facemasks.

The anti-vax NFL guy I just posted recently broke his fibula but didn't want to let the team down so he played out the rest of the season, taking meds to deal with the pain. The media described it as "heroic": https://www.buffalobills.com/news/cole-beasley-played-through-a-broken-fibula-to-finish-his-career-season

He's taking the exact same stance against vaccines and he genuinely seems to think that makes him some kind of hero or martyr.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 19, 2021

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

There's this bizarre belief in the US that admitting you got sick is a sign of weakness or even some kind of moral flaw so you've got these people who insist on coming to work if they've got a cold or bragging about how they never get sick or bragging about their high pain tolerance etc etc.. I guess it's a byproduct of the whole Rugged Individualism thing they've got going on and never admitting vulnerability is a huge part of some people's personalities, which I guess also explains why certain people were so incredibly angry about being made to wear facemasks.

The anti-vax NFL guy I just posted recently broke his fibula but didn't want to let the team down so he played out the rest of the season, taking meds to deal with the pain. The media described it as "heroic": https://www.buffalobills.com/news/cole-beasley-played-through-a-broken-fibula-to-finish-his-career-season

He's taking the exact same stance against vaccines and he genuinely seems to think that makes him some kind of hero or martyr.

You're complicating things and confusing all of those words with "pathological narcissism, a possible opiate addiction, and an absence of education about contagious disease".

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Re: going back in and overhead, aren't there tax implications for companies regarding write offs on property, for some larger ones a break in taxes because they're bringing people to an area every day, thereby stimulating local businesses? I'm sure control is a big factor but there has to be some financial reasons sprinkled in

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're complicating things and confusing all of those words with "pathological narcissism, a possible opiate addiction, and an absence of education about contagious disease".

LOL the entire nation is built on pathological narcissism ("Shining city upon a hill" LOL okay sure), it's systemic. Pushing the blame onto "individuals who don't know any better" is missing the forest for the trees.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gildiss posted:

It's hard to get vaccines everywhere that isn't north america and europe because they decided they wanted to retain an advantage over the rest of the world coming out of this thing.

And the US and Europe actually do have vastly more money and power and resources and material sophistication than just about everywhere else so we're where the vaccines got created and controlled.

China had its vicious totalitarianism it could use to stamp out the virus, australia and other islands were able to isolate successfully, the US/UK/Rich parts of Europe did what we're good at, dump infinite money and science at it and make fantastic new vaccines. Russia landed somewhere in the middle I guess.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

LOL the entire nation is built on pathological narcissism ("Shining city upon a hill" LOL okay sure), it's systemic. Pushing the blame onto "individuals who don't know any better" is missing the forest for the trees.

That's not even ose to what I wrote, but you do you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It has begun.

Government announced care home worker vaccination would be mandatory, to much bleeting about “but what about poor people’s freedom to choose*!” from the middle classes. Then the Bloomsbury group of publishers joined the UK’s largest plumbing firm in making them mandatory as well.

*they can choose to remain unvaccinated, it just means they also choose to get another job because that’s how being an adult with responsibilities and consequences works.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

We have a single factory in Australia that is capable of producing either AZ or Novavax (but not both at the same time, they have to retool all the machinery to switch between them) which was actually one of the main factors behind us choosing to vaccinate the majority of the population with AZ, and they got final approval to manufacture AZ on March 21.

Which was not in itself an imprudent decision, given how much nationalist vaccine hoarding turned out to happen after all, and given that we're going to see more variants and more novel viruses in the future.

I still get quite irritated when I see people suggesting (both in Australia and overseas) that our slow vaccine rollout is a "disaster" or a "catastrophe." No, a disaster or a catastrophe getting hundreds of thousands of people loving killed like Europe and the US did; a faster vaccine rollout would be nice, but when the dust has settled, no sane person is going to say that the UK or US did their overall pandemic response better than Australia.

Another few weasel words people in the business community here like to crack out is saying that the rest of the world is further ahead in vaccination and that if we don't abandon elimination as a policy goal, Australia will be "left behind." Left behind what?

edit - speaking of. "‘No rush’ to reopen international borders: Trade Minister"

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/no-rush-to-reopen-international-borders-trade-minister-20210619-p582f3.html

quote:

Trade Minister Dan Tehan says the federal government is negotiating with Singapore about a potential travel bubble with Australia, but is in “no rush to open the borders” to international travel.

Speaking in Melbourne on Saturday, Mr Tehan refused to provide a benchmark, such as a vaccination rate, that would see Australia open up a travel bubble with Singapore, saying it would be up to medical experts.

Trade Minister Dan Tehan said the government would form a travel bubble with Singapore once it was safe to do so.

“It will largely depend on how these various variants play out,” he said.

“It has been made very clear we will only create a bubble with Singapore when it is safe to do so and in the meantime we are looking at what would be the processes that would allow that to be as safe as possible.”

His comments came after Prime Minister Scott Morrison told The Weekend Australian the government would spend the next six months monitoring the spread of new COVID-19 variants overseas, and the effectiveness of vaccines before making a decision on reopening international borders, again refusing to give an inoculation rate that would trigger reopenings.

Mr Morrison said identifying people who had been fully vaccinated was key to the creation of further travel bubbles - following Australia’s first travel bubble, with New Zealand - with Singapore and potentially Japan and South Korea to follow.

He also told The Australian that foreign students who had been fully vaccinated could be used to trial a new traffic light system for international ­arrivals.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said while any decision about a bubble would need to go before National Cabinet he warned Singapore was still struggling with the Delta variant and would need to drive down case numbers.

“We don’t want a single case imported into Australia,” Professor Sutton said.

"That does require Singapore getting to a really, really low zero level in their jurisdiction."

Professor Sutton said health authorities were modelling different vaccination rates that could allow Australia to reopen its borders but said he didn’t think Australians would tolerate death rates similar to those seen overseas.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

if we don't abandon elimination as a policy goal, Australia will be "left behind." Left behind what?

Left behind on this mortal plane.

All the cool kids are microdosing bridge jumps.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Meanwhile in the US, we're about to have millions of doses expire because they've got an image problem.

High Hopes for Johnson & Johnson’s Covid Vaccine Have Fizzled in the U.S.

The vaccination effort is still going really well in the US, overall. Certainly better than we could have even dreamed one year ago. But the whole Johnson & Johnson situation has been such a debacle.

FWIW I'm glad there was that short pause on JJ. I really preferred Pfizer or Moderna. But I I was scheduled to get JJ at a vaccination center and was going to get it.

But the pause happened the day before my appointment and I got Pfizer and was really happy about that. 2 doses and higher effectiveness is what made me want them more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

Meanwhile in the US, we're about to have millions of doses expire because they've got an image problem.

High Hopes for Johnson & Johnson’s Covid Vaccine Have Fizzled in the U.S.

The vaccination effort is still going really well in the US, overall. Certainly better than we could have even dreamed one year ago. But the whole Johnson & Johnson situation has been such a debacle.

Also millions of dollars worth of medical ventilators got dumped in landfill in Miami-Dade county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPw19AGleDI

It turns out they'd been bought cheap out of China at the start of the pandemic when there was a huge rush on ventilators but they never got FDA approval so they couldn't be used in the US and the importers couldn't be bothered paying to have them shipped out somewhere else
https://www.local10.com/news/local/...were-discarded/

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Galewolf posted:

Oh sorry about being vague, I asked my friend and he told me he got in touch through this site when the GP told the "months and months" thing for his wife, he says things were magically resolved in one day:

https://www.healthwatch.co.uk/your-local-healthwatch/list

For his own NHS number he says "I just kept calling and told them I was starting a job and they finally gave up and processed my application".

As Nettle Soup's "immigrated friend": Thank you so much, we contacted them this week, and my first shot is already scheduled for next Friday.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 19, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Griddle of Love posted:

As Nettle Soup's "immigrated friend": Thank you so much, we contacted them this week, and my first shot is already scheduled for next Friday.

That's fantastic news, you're most welcome! :toot:

Sip on that juice my fellow plague island resident and join the lamppost lickers party :getin:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of lovely useless ventilators, here's a fun memory from April 2020: Elon Musk bought a shipment of 1,255 ventilators and gave them away free to any hospital who asked for them. (Note the Tesla logo hastily slapped onto the boxes)

.... only it turned out they weren't actually life support ventilators (which usually cost several thousand dollars apiece), but a line of discontinued non-invasive sleep apnea BPAP machines which usually go for about $800 and are useless for treating ARDS.

If you multiply 1,255 x 800 you'll note that it come out to pretty much exactly one million dollars so it seems that Ol' Musky logged onto AliBaba.com, searched for breathing aid machines, clicked 'Sort by cheapest first' and bought a million bucks worth of the first item listed without reading the description properly.
It was a nice gesture/PR stunt until you remember he was worth about $100 Billion at the time so this was pretty much pocket change to him.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'm like 99% sure his accountants wrote that million as charity or business expense so he could get that deducted from the taxes.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

but a line of discontinued non-invasive sleep apnea BPAP machines which usually go for about $800 and are useless for treating ARDS.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Galewolf posted:

I'm like 99% sure his accountants wrote that million as charity or business expense so he could get that deducted from the taxes.

Also he'd said a lot of really really dumb things about covid just weeks before and was taking a lot of heat for it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1236029449042198528
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1251670127944232963
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240758710646878208

Etc etc etc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He flouted the hell out of local public health orders to reopen his factory and faced no consequences because he’s a billionaire.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I know plenty of not-online people in real life who vaguely know Musk as some sort of Silicon Valley genius extraordinaire and are unaware of how he conducts himself every day on Twitter, which is in and of itself a demonstration of the usefulness of Twitter

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

We've reached a milestone in therapy for better or for worse in that we have more patients with shoulder/upper arm conditions from the vaccine than we do long covid patients.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

We've reached a milestone in therapy for better or for worse in that we have more patients with shoulder/upper arm conditions from the vaccine than we do long covid patients.

Wait, do I understand you correctly that people are running to doctors cause they have a sore arm from the vaccine injection?

At least tell me its weird cases where it's been weeks since they had their shot and not right afterwards.
Cause otherwise lol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fenarisk posted:

Are we just counting new patients or did the long COVID patients get better or what?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Has anyone else had periodic pins and needles in their hands since getting their first dose?

It’s mostly when I nap or wake up during the night I’ll realize that the lower half of the hand on my vaccinated arm is numb like I slept on it

Got my first dose of Pfizer about three weeks ago and scheduled for the second one next Friday

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

There's this bizarre belief in the US that admitting you got sick is a sign of weakness or even some kind of moral flaw

I guess its also that if you start to think about it, if illness is all a bit random and beyond individuals control, maybe people shouldn't be going bankrupt to pay their medical bills, maybe in fact public health should be dealt with in some other way? Nah lets not think about that.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Wait, do I understand you correctly that people are running to doctors cause they have a sore arm from the vaccine injection?

At least tell me its weird cases where it's been weeks since they had their shot and not right afterwards.
Cause otherwise lol.

Not sore shoulders, we are talking tendonitis, frozen shoulder, some instances of upper arm numbness on the same side all the way to thr fingers, currently anywhere from 2 to 3 months out from second shot.

I would say of the last 6 months, a little over half the long covid people are back to baseline, and of the remaining ones only half of that have seen improvement. A lot of the still struggling patients were otherwise healthy and active and under 50.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ugh.

My SO, who's had Covid once because he was stupid and kept going out (with a mask but still) , now has his own conspiracy theory about it all.

Since some news claimed that the virus has been in the US before we realized it, he's now 100% convinced that the US created this virus and gave it to Wuhan THEN lied about it and blamed China. You'd think that's not being racist but you'd be wrong because he said, repeatedly, that it's "Not the China Virus, but it's something else. China Virus is much different." so...yeah.

He claims his doctor said he's had it TWICE too.

With the Delta variant rolling about, he'll probably catch that (despite being vaccinated) because he went to multiple stores without a mask yesterday.

I love him but he's frustrating as gently caress a lot of the time.

EDIT: He claims that the virus was obviously here in October 2019 because it takes 2 weeks exactly to get the virus active and because of that, people had it show up in November 2019 so it's made in the US. "Simple" he claims. He also claims it came from pigs, not bats. Because the US has less pigs and it most likely started in Iowa because he got sick around November 2019.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 19, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He sounds like he probably has an account, hope he doesn't see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh.

My SO, who's had Covid once because he was stupid and kept going out (with a mask but still) , now has his own conspiracy theory about it all.

Since some news claimed that the virus has been in the US before we realized it, he's now 100% convinced that the US created this virus and gave it to Wuhan THEN lied about it and blamed China. You'd think that's not being racist but you'd be wrong because he said, repeatedly, that it's "Not the China Virus, but it's something else. China Virus is much different." so...yeah.

He claims his doctor said he's had it TWICE too.

With the Delta variant rolling about, he'll probably catch that (despite being vaccinated) because he went to multiple stores without a mask yesterday.

I love him but he's frustrating as gently caress a lot of the time.

EDIT: He claims that the virus was obviously here in October 2019 because it takes 2 weeks exactly to get the virus active and because of that, people had it show up in November 2019 so it's made in the US. "Simple" he claims. He also claims it came from pigs, not bats. Because the US has less pigs and it most likely started in Iowa because he got sick around November 2019.

tell him about the Ligma Variant &
welcome to the thread