Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's why I've been posting in here about it, didn't want to bother the anime only people about it.

That's good. What I said wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, or even SA. Just a general observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larryb posted:

Has the anime ever shuffled manga events around before? Because up until now as far as I'm aware it's more or less just been a straight shot for the last four seasons.

Which is a shame because seeing MVA animated was literally the main reason I'd been looking forward to the current show.

Also, do we know how many episodes Season 5 is going to be (or are they all more or less equal in terms of length, I forget)?
I don't think it's happened with this series, but I remember there were some fairly significant reorganizations in Jojo Part 4 - they moved a sweet episode/story beat so it wasn't directly in between two related violent-rear end beats, which also let some facts introduced in that sweet episode rest for a minute before they became Important. This seems comparable to moving around the last of the Endeavor agency stuff, if somewhat less drastic.

They also did a fair amount of little trims on Part 4 but Part 4 was made well before this entire model of anime.

e: Oh, I think they reorganized the order of things during the Overhaul stuff but that was more like going from 1-2-3-4-5-6 to 1-3-4-2-5-6 for better flow and was usually internal to the handful of chaps in each episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus as has been mentioned, MVA probably works better as a season finale anyway since that’s the point where poo poo really starts to hit the fan as far as this series is concerned.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the season 6 opening recap episode can actually be one from the story, I think around Chapter 255 where the kids show off their new Super Moves?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Wait, are we going to get Endeavor's 1000 IQ deduction from Hawks book before MVA?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ButterSkeleton posted:

Wait, are we going to get Endeavor's 1000 IQ deduction from Hawks book before MVA?

Seems that way, yeah (likely because the upcoming movie is set around the same time and they want to promote it)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm betting we don't get it at this point and it will come back up when it's relevant.

We'll probably still get the scene of Hawks giving out the books and maybe Endeavor taking a look and getting shocked before cutting away.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Im really baffled by some of the choices they've made in the set up and recent arcs if this is the end stretch to any degree now. Introducing UA as a three year course but only seeing the first year before everything breaks down is a disappointment. Having Shinso's big test leading nowhere is weird too. If they needed more Midoriya/Shinso interactions to establish the AfO stuff, teasing Shinso as a hero course student that never ends up materializing is weird.

I wonder if this was planned very differently but changed recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am liking the current stuff, but I do wish we had gotten to year 2 before the break down.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
New chapter is out in the usual place, phoneposting so I can’t link :(
I’m getting a real “Wolverine in Madripoor” vibe from this. Pretty soon he’s gonna be telling everyone to call him Patch.
I do like All Might’s tiny silhouette in the background. He looks so sad :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MangaPlus 317
Viz 317

"Mom said it's my turn to be the Number One Hero."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
something i've noticed about deku is that the one thing about all might he's really never been able to replicate is his smile and everything it represents in terms of lifting the spirits of those around him. now i'm not sure if that's something he'll never fully achieve, because a single pillar holding up all of society is stupid, but i really hope it's addressed in this arc, because whooo boy i feel like he's about as far away from that smile as he's ever been

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Stain will attack Deku because he is an absolute poo poo who has already previously thought that the hardest working hero was the worst of them all, just because he looked mean (Endeavour).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

Stain will attack Deku because he is an absolute poo poo who has already previously thought that the hardest working hero was the worst of them all, just because he looked mean (Endeavour).

I mean, he was right about Endeavor, even if he didn't know the truth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

something i've noticed about deku is that the one thing about all might he's really never been able to replicate is his smile and everything it represents in terms of lifting the spirits of those around him.

Yeah, I mentioned the other day how ironic that is. The thing Bakugo admired All Might for the most was being the guy who wins all the time and he tries to live up to that always. But Deku always admired his ability to smile and has never managed to get close to having that comforting presence, aside from the moment with Eri. And even that ended with her nearly killing him with her powers, which probably unsettled her to a large degree afterwards.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I mean, he was right about Endeavor, even if he didn't know the truth.

Ah, yes. The core tenet of vigilantism: something's off about this guy. That's never gotten anyone in trouble before.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Deku: just fake it til you make it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I personally think it'd be hilarious if Stain was the one who got Deku back on the less-self-destructive path, somehow. I'm not sure how he would do it. maybe the idea of a lunatic like Stain idolizing him might be enough for him to step back and re-assess?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the cycle of One for All users taking on the weight of the role beyond their breaking point continues :smith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

OnimaruXLR posted:

I personally think it'd be hilarious if Stain was the one who got Deku back on the less-self-destructive path, somehow. I'm not sure how he would do it. maybe the idea of a lunatic like Stain idolizing him might be enough for him to step back and re-assess?

Stain's secret quirk Therapy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

the cycle of One for All users taking on the weight of the role beyond their breaking point continues :smith:

I bet All for One eggs it on intentionally, too

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Bloodcurdle's just the right quirk to force Deku to stop!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still feel like Stain would be happy to talk to All Might, and it would probably gently caress him up to hear All Might lament his many failures. So I hope we do get a legit conversation between the two because All Might is in the position that he can't really just cut off conversation with "Gasp! I must stop you, escaped villain!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's simple mathematics. You see in a normal hero villain fight you got a fifty percent chance of winning Stain might tell Deku something along the lines of "look, you're the only legit guy out there. you have to win, which means taking care of yourself, even if it's for other people."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I mentioned the other day how ironic that is. The thing Bakugo admired All Might for the most was being the guy who wins all the time and he tries to live up to that always. But Deku always admired his ability to smile and has never managed to get close to having that comforting presence, aside from the moment with Eri. And even that ended with her nearly killing him with her powers, which probably unsettled her to a large degree afterwards.

he's even called out on it by a proctor during the second round of the provisional license exam. it's funny, deku's so quick to identify weaknesses in his technique and change things to work around or eliminate them, but he can't even spot internal issues, much less put work into them. and of course those are the kind of things none of his instructors seemed to give any attention

it's a bit sad, for some reason i think midnight might have been someone who might have been able to give some good guidance on self care. seems in character for her

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally read the official translation and Desutegoro?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
caleb is punishing us for our sins

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I think Death Arms has always been translated in the past so it’s a bit weird.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

he's even called out on it by a proctor during the second round of the provisional license exam. it's funny, deku's so quick to identify weaknesses in his technique and change things to work around or eliminate them, but he can't even spot internal issues, much less put work into them. and of course those are the kind of things none of his instructors seemed to give any attention

It's very realistic, at least. It's a pretty common problem for highly empathetic and especially codependent people to be highly sensitive and perceptive about other people but being completely unable to meaningfully apply that sensitivity and perception to assessing their own issues and faults.

This was super jarring, yeah.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 20, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Translation errors happen. Hopefully it gets fixed before being collected into a volume. Unlike that time they printed a line translated as exactly the opposite.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I guess this time it was the official scans that were bad.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Reminder that Zoro is Zolo in the official one piece manga

Official doesn’t always mean the better translation

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So something that's been bugging me since the Nagant fight—how did Deku originally mean to get intel from Nagant, and how does he know the second guy didn't know anything? Torture? Because that's the implication I've been getting, but it... doesn't really make any sense either, even with how Deku's been acting post-timeskip. Or does Deku have some kind of interrogation quirk now, like one of Overhaul's goons...?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Staltran posted:

So something that's been bugging me since the Nagant fight—how did Deku originally mean to get intel from Nagant, and how does he know the second guy didn't know anything? Torture? Because that's the implication I've been getting, but it... doesn't really make any sense either, even with how Deku's been acting post-timeskip. Or does Deku have some kind of interrogation quirk now, like one of Overhaul's goons...?

Nagant told him because he got through to her, which All-for-One expected. It's why she was sent first. All-for-One was betting on Deku getting to have the heroic save people moment... so he could laugh in the kid's face once it all blew up.

Deku probably figured this guy didn't know anything since All-for-One was giving an intentional invite last time. If the assassin didn't spill anything, there was no reason to tell him it in the first place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm hopeful that this is explicitly addressed soon, and this last chapter makes me feel like it will be. I always got the feeling before that the contrast between All Might being a larger than life, positive superhero who smiles and rescues everyone and the constant self injury, brutal fights with lasting scars and consequences and clear 90s comic edgy art inspiration was a kind of unintentional jarring clash of Horikoshi trying to marry two separate superhero inspirations in his world.

It looks like we might see that fully engaged with with Deku's current state which will be nice.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

We complain so much about Deku not getting swole in his spare time, but really, he should have been taking improv classes and learning street magic all along, if he wanted to be a hero who makes people smile.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

maybe that was his real name?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

oh jay posted:

We complain so much about Deku not getting swole in his spare time, but really, he should have been taking improv classes and learning street magic all along, if he wanted to be a hero who makes people smile.
Sounds like Gentle Criminal's route into the League of Deku.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestonJew posted:

man, thinking about it quirks would open up a whole new field of amazingly lovely names that parents could give their kids

i guess exibt a is tetsutetsu tetsutetsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CharlestonJew posted:

That's his hero name in Japanese.