Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTnW6TUeFds

Glick's second of the three submissions here is the d'arce. We often discuss details of the d'arce here and his demo covers solutions to those problems, and if you really look at his arm positioning you can get a few more details. Look at where he puts the hand of the choking arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Please send your favorite outside HH defenses/escapes. Apparently I cannot do any and one of my two lockdown training partners has begun to realize this.

My inside HH defense is ok. I grip fight and try and get my heel to the floor. Then I'm pushing uke's knees together while working to escape my knee. Once the knee is free the HH is essentially gone and I just need to worry about positioning. I try something like this for the outside HH but my foot gets trapped kinda underneath uke but he keeps a good grip on my heel despite my attempts to slip my heel. I guess I should be spinning here, instead?

edit: sorry the outside HH is from ashi garami

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 12, 2021

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The first half of this video, which covers outside ashi when they haven't exposed your heel yet, good way to get a feel for the position and the defenses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrjbaXt-nTo

Then when you've got a feel for it, this video which is after they've already exposed the heel and they have a foot on your hip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAabC2XuaqE

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If it's outside(? regular?) ashi garami, there's always the venerable "just stick your other foot's toes into their elbow" technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOEcI-Vu6M

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This is awesome. Honestly I wish this type of poo poo would've happened in my old gym. We had people getting blue belts that didnt practice or spar half the time due to "injuries", but since they had enough check ins, would get their blue belt or stripes (mcdojo poo poo).

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/6/11/22529343/nate-diaz-hilariously-clowns-his-bjj-white-belt-students-after-rare-blue-belt-demotion

quote:

Ahead of Nate Diaz’s return at UFC 263 this weekend, one of his students shared a hilarious story that happened during one of the MMA star’s jiujitsu classes.
BJJ belt promotions from other gyms are typically respected and accepted when switching to other gyms, but there are somewhat rare instances of demotions happening in jiujitsu gyms too. This was apparently the case at The Nick Diaz Academy, but Nate handled it in a pretty funny manner.
Mikey Singh Hothi, who is now a BJJ brown belt under Diaz, shared the story which occurred years ago, back when he was still a white belt.
“Our Brazilian jiu-jitsu gym at Nick Diaz Academy is notorious for belts and how challenging it is to get one. A lot of people from other gyms were transferring over to ours because obviously they wanted to train with Nate and Nick. So we’d have a bunch of these blue belts from lesser gyms coming through, and (our gym was) kind of notorious for demoting them,” Hothi told ESPN.
“There were three of us white belts on the mat, and there were three blue belts from different gyms that were there. He had a white belt roll with each of the blue belts from the other gyms. And every single blue belt got tapped out by a white belt.
“Afterwards, he had everybody line up and he said, ‘OK, everybody take off your belts.’
“We all put our belts on the ground. I was like, ‘Oh my god, this is the moment I’m going to get my blue belt.’ I was really excited.”
Was this all an unorthodox and elaborate belt test that Nate conducted? A long awaited belt promotion for the three Diaz Academy white belts good enough to beat colored belts from other gyms? Well, Nate had other plans.
“(Nate) came over and picked up the three white belts that were on the ground and he gave them to the blue belts, like, ‘OK, you guys have gotta wear these now.’
“And he picked up the three blue belts on the ground, looked at us and was like, ‘You guys have to buy some new (white) belts’ and just walked off the mat.”

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Seems like a dick move to me to be honest.

I think belts are taken to mean way too much / too many different things to different people. Not sure what system would end up working better though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

Not sure what system would end up working better though.

That doesnt sound like an endorsement or not of the belt system. I agree that the belts mean different things to different people and you have to take things like age into account, but I think there are some basics that are taught amongst most gyms to white belts (basic pin positions, Americana, etc), that if you dont know, or cant execute, then you might not be ready for promotion. For all I know, these blue belts might have also been in a school with attendance based promotions, which is I believe is bullshit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not even the best part of the article.

quote:

'Nate will set you up like that'

Gracie recalls the day Diaz introduced one of his coaches, Steve Heath, to Kron Gracie, Cesar's cousin and a UFC fighter and BJJ standout.

Nate knew what was going to happen, which was the funny part.

Kron had never met Steve in his life, and Steve is like, "You Gracies, you guys are overrated." Kron is like, "Who the hell is this guy?" Steve is like, "You've got that choke from the back, the rear-naked choke. You think it works. I bet you I can get out of it."

Kron is an accomplished grappler. He grabs Steve and he puts him in the choke and goes, "OK, on three. One, two ..."

Steve had a Taser on him, and he tased Kron's leg. Nate is on the side, laughing. Kron lets go of the choke and starts chasing Steve around the gym. They're going back and forth like a sketch comedy show. Nate will set you up like that.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

That doesnt sound like an endorsement or not of the belt system. I agree that the belts mean different things to different people and you have to take things like age into account, but I think there are some basics that are taught amongst most gyms to white belts (basic pin positions, Americana, etc), that if you dont know, or cant execute, then you might not be ready for promotion. For all I know, these blue belts might have also been in a school with attendance based promotions, which is I believe is bullshit.

Oh I agreed attendance based is a bad idea.

But the thing is no one just showing up to train deserves to be humiliated like that. I'd bet money there are white belts that could tap me (here is the part that I admit to being a crappy blue belt) out there at any high level gym. And please don't take this as an insult but I'd be skeptical if you were to claim that there is no one at out there who is ranked lower but could tap you.

Having to fight someone to keep your rank just does not sit well with me. Like you said there are more factors to consider.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Perhaps the culture they're trying to build doesn't see temporarily losing your 10$ piece of dyed cotton as humiliating.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can't say I'm eager for belt based matchmaking (BBM) keeping me in jiu-jitsu bronze forever.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

Perhaps the culture they're trying to build doesn't see temporarily losing your 10$ piece of dyed cotton as humiliating.

That seems very unlikely to be what happened.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

Oh I agreed attendance based is a bad idea.

But the thing is no one just showing up to train deserves to be humiliated like that. I'd bet money there are white belts that could tap me (here is the part that I admit to being a crappy blue belt) out there at any high level gym. And please don't take this as an insult but I'd be skeptical if you were to claim that there is no one at out there who is ranked lower but could tap you.

Having to fight someone to keep your rank just does not sit well with me. Like you said there are more factors to consider.

I have been tapped by lower belts (a few times actually), and I have tapped black belts. There is disparity among people of the same and different belt rank based on age, sex, physical ability, etc.

"Having to fight someone to keep your rank just does not sit well with me."

Even if its based on knowledge, taking the other things I mentioned above out of account? I dont have a problem with that. Dont you spar so that your instructor can gauge where you are at in terms of your knowledge to get you to that next stripe/belt?? Keep in mind these blue belts were from a different gym. If its from the same gym and they are doing that, then yes I agree with you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It might seem like a huge deal at the time, but blue belt is such low stakes taking it away from someone is just a dick move imo. If an instructor isn't good enough to get their students up to a certain standard after a certain attendance then they need a better curriculum and a better culture of improvement fostered at their gym. I'm not saying everyone just automatically should get new belts no questions asked after a certain amount of time on the mats, but if the gym has a good program it should be pretty straight forward for people to meet that standard consistently at a set rate. The higher the belt, the more scrutiny should be used but blue is a pretty broad range.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There's a difference between getting tapped by a lower belt and just not meeting the threshold of competency. Especially blue belt where that threshold is really pretty basic.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

belts for adults without a unifying standard are extremely dumb, caring about them moreso

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
when you join a new gym you join new standards. i wouldn't want a blue belt if i was getting outclassed by a good portion of white belts on the mat. besides bjj has been nothing but an exercise in humility since the very first roll anyway. eat the poo poo, come in the next day and ladle up another serve.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Maybe the wrong thread but is anyone aware of shorter length grappling shorts? I'd like something not branded all over. Only thing in could find was the hyabusa hexagon mid thigh shorts. I'd like something a little shorter and the fabric looked weird to me but I like hyabusa's quality. I have been abusing a pair of their spats for a long time now and they've held up really well.

I'm a skinny dude and I always feel like I'm swimming in my shorts. I get tangled up in them sometimes. I'm not yet ready to be spats or compression shorts only bro showing off my mooseknuckle like some kinda pre-roll distraction ritual.

I have some ranger panties and I wear Officer Dangle level shorts when I run but I figure they'd be unsafe/inappropriate on the mats. Are there any shorty grappling shorts out there that aren't just compression shorts or oversized leftover board shorts with iron on decals all over them?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
You can always wear longer compression underwear under the '70s-style short shorts if you don't want to risk a wardrobe malfunction. You can even buy them that way, e.g. these.

Personally, I always wear spats under shorts to minimize mat burn on my knees, and it accomplishes the same thing.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Nestharken posted:

You can always wear longer compression underwear under the '70s-style short shorts if you don't want to risk a wardrobe malfunction. You can even buy them that way, e.g. these.

Personally, I always wear spats under shorts to minimize mat burn on my knees, and it accomplishes the same thing.

I do this. Just some underarmor compression shorts and some cheap x-country shorts from Nike lets be butt scoot all day.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nestharken posted:

I just came across this style of short two weeks ago and liked it. Its basically what I wear normally combined into one thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In no gi I swear by both leggings and a long sleeve rash guard. Cuts down on mat burn and infections.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am the opposite and prefer short sleeve rash and shorts, I feel slow and lethargic in full spats

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I definitely wear full spats and wear them under my GI even. Was looking for something to toss over my spats. I was concerned I'd tear up cross country shorts and other workout britches scooting and rolling about but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

knuthgrush posted:

I definitely wear full spats and wear them under my GI even. Was looking for something to toss over my spats. I was concerned I'd tear up cross country shorts and other workout britches scooting and rolling about but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Lube the floor with your sweat.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Lube the floor with your sweat.

Way ahead of you. Kinda like the title of the GBS budk thread but with cotton and Lycra instead of denim.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Half Sumo makes some great shorts. Bought a pair of these, and they are the best fitting shorts ive come across:

https://halfsumo.com/collections/shorts/products/black-mamba-ichiban-pro-shorts-black

The sizes seem to run on the smaller end too for skinny smaller people. Just jump on it when you see them release a new pair, cause they seem to go fast.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

In no gi I swear by both leggings and a long sleeve rash guard. Cuts down on mat burn and infections.

I used to believe this then got MRSA on a spot covered by three layers of material anyway so now I roll the dice and let my limbs roam free

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I'm a long-sleeve rashguard with shorts kinda guy in nogi. In yesgi if it's hot I go short sleeve, if it's cold I go long sleeve. As a general rule.

Also it really pains me to say so but my favorite grappling shorts are a pair of fitted Shoyorolls that are basically slightly longer, slightly looser vale tudo shorts. I hate baggy board shorts and am not comfortable with having my junk protrude in vt's and so they really are a miracle and I will probably try to get more pairs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spats/long sleeve here. Sometimes I'll wear gi pants instead of spats.

I used to do spats and shorts but I got sick of buying more stuff and doing extra laundry so now I just do spats.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
do you guys wear a cup? only had one or two minor knee nuts incidents in 5yrs but Id consider it. we have one guy who does and Im always reminded if he gets my back and that thing is jabbing into my spine

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
No no cup, I think like 1 person at my gym wears a cup. I want to say they are actually frowned upon in BJJ schools but don’t know that for sure

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

No cup. Spats and shorts, or rarely just shorts. Short sleeve rashguard in the warmer seasons.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I wear shorts and longsleeve rash guard no leggings under. I feel like leggings help people catch me in leg entanglements. I also like to grapple shirtless if it's hot or tournament. In tourney it's because I like to put my hair stomach on my opponents face in North South.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A cup feels real bad on your spine when the opponent takes your back, I hate it. It's exactly like how they tell cops not to have handcuffs right on the back of their belt.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Vashro posted:

do you guys wear a cup? only had one or two minor knee nuts incidents in 5yrs but Id consider it. we have one guy who does and Im always reminded if he gets my back and that thing is jabbing into my spine

no but my nuts have been brutalized for years and have likely been rendered useless. it's cool when ppl wear them because I get to ask if they're wearing a cup or just excited to scrap w me though, that joke's got legs

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

In nogi I feel like a mouthguard is more necessary than a cup. Been cracked quite a few times in the face from flying limbs.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

In nogi I feel like a mouthguard is more necessary than a cup. Been cracked quite a few times in the face from flying limbs.

I wear a mouth guard if I'm doing anything grappling related. When I was a kid I broke a tooth wrestling and I'm still afraid. I have a nice mouth guard that I can talk a drink with and feels so comfortable that I forget I have it on sometimes and wear it to work so that helps

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, always wear a mouthguard. I chipped a buddie's tooth going for a hip over :( mouthguard are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
No cup. Protect your balls; protect your neck.