Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
for best aesthetic you’d probably want to do 50/50 white and yellow like a smartphone flash. And like I did with the lightbulbs in my bathroom vanity.

If I didn’t have 2 lights per shelf I might do that, but as it stands I’ll be ordering another set of white Barrinas at the end of summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

for best aesthetic you’d probably want to do 50/50 white and yellow like a smartphone flash. And like I did with the lightbulbs in my bathroom vanity.

If I didn’t have 2 lights per shelf I might do that, but as it stands I’ll be ordering another set of white Barrinas at the end of summer

I have the smaller linkable ones they make which have worked quite well for me. I got the white ones (all of the bulbs in my house are 5000k), though they're actually a little bit pink.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 20, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I have the smaller linkable ones they make which have worked quite well for me. I got the white ones (all of the bulbs in my house are 5000k), though they're actually a little bit pink.

the bigger ones are also linkable and I find that the included side reflectors are really helpful, both for focusing + reflecting light and increasing intensity + evenness for the plants, and for cutting down massively on annoying glare and light spill.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

enjoyed my first ever home-grown cucumber tonight, suyo plain and with a bit of salt. tastes like time well spent

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rat or rabbit?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Looks like a tomato.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SubG posted:

Looks like a tomato.

It was my largest. :bahgawd:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

the bigger ones are also linkable and I find that the included side reflectors are really helpful, both for focusing + reflecting light and increasing intensity + evenness for the plants, and for cutting down massively on annoying glare and light spill.

Yeah, I know. They make ones that aren't, though. I didn't really have the vertical space for the big ones in some of the places I wanted to put them (closest ones are about 8" from the plants) and it seemed like the reflectors would make the beam angle too tight.

(They look like they aren't very bright but that's actually banding from the camera)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I know. They make ones that aren't, though. I didn't really have the vertical space for the big ones in some of the places I wanted to put them (closest ones are about 8" from the plants) and it seemed like the reflectors would make the beam angle too tight.

(They look like they aren't very bright but that's actually banding from the camera)

I like your pot/furniture game

my setup is perpetually filthy and disheveled I legit don’t know how my roommate doesn’t care

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wallet posted:

big fan of the extra fancy species labels, those are cool

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Chard posted:

big fan of the extra fancy species labels, those are cool

Thanks! I posted about them somewhere when I made the first ones (might have been the woodworking thread?). The short version is that if you print mirrored text on clear acetate with a laser printer you can transfer it to wood with an iron as long as you dial in the temperature correctly (I use a little banding iron but a regular one probably works as long as it has good temperature controls). It's a pretty quick weekend project to cut some 1/8" stakes out of whatever (I just use scrap cherry from when I made the thing the plants live on), transfer the words on, and then give them a goodly number of coats of poly to keep the water out.

Of course if you have/have access to a laser cutter you could probably just etch them with a lot less effort.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Rat or rabbit?

Do you have any dogs in the area? I kept an ill behaved terrier for a while and that's exactly what my tomatoes ended up looking like.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Weather keeps knocking over my sunflowers :argh:

I think I’m just gonna let my gourds grow on the ground instead of trellising them up so they can be knocked over by Potential tropical Cyclone 4 or whatever

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mischief posted:

Do you have any dogs in the area? I kept an ill behaved terrier for a while and that's exactly what my tomatoes ended up looking like.

My dog would take the whole tomato if she were so inclined. She's neither graceful nor sneaky, though she thinks she is.

I've had rabbit ruining my lawn. But the damage looks similar to what the rats do to my neighbor's grapefruit tree.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

eggplant flowers are beautiful

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I’m just gonna let my gourds grow on the ground instead of trellising them up so they can be knocked over by Potential tropical Cyclone 4 or whatever

Weather has knocked my tomatoes around recently, too. I'm more worried about the pumpkin/zucchini/whatever the gently caress it is that's clearly already beset by some sort of boring insect.

I am also concerned that the trellis system I've got set up for the beans is not going to be able to handle the weight and the torsion on the leaves when the wind blows. Alas.

Chard posted:

You should check out some okra flowers, fellow human.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chard posted:

I once lifted a nymph ladybug from the soil up onto a high eggplant leaf and watched another ladybug nymph march down off its leaf, along the stalk, and up to were I placed the other one to chase it away. It was pretty cool to watch a baby insect hierarchy.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 21, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

rojay posted:

I'm more worried about the pumpkin/zucchini/whatever the gently caress it is that's clearly already beset by some sort of boring insect.

Probably squash vine borers :rip:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First strawberry!

Aaand it's gone :bird:

drat robins

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's an aji limon pepper seedling that's been stuck in the corner of a tent getting a tiny taste of a meiju LED for 3-4 weeks as an experiment. It's leafy w/ bigass leaves and a fat stem and it's not really reaching for the light with any urgency, which seems to be par for the course w/ these lights

I've had no luck w/ these particular peppers the last two years here in VA- the seedlings languish and I move them outside and they languish outside till they finally eek out some sad fruit at the end of the season. I thought it might be the seeds. Guess not lol

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am tending to an abandoned raised garden bed left by the previous home owners. I tilled the soil, ripped out as much of the grass and weed roots as I could, and covered the whole thing in cardboard and magazine paper to kill off the remnants. After a few days, I removed the cardboard, used magazine pages to cover the whole bed, and started putting down some potting soil mix. Is it safe to use magazine pages as a liner? I wasn't sure if the color ink would affect anything.

In addition, to my dismay, I woke up this morning to a bunch of acorns which are sprouting and tore right past the paper barrier. What's my best move at this point? Do I just dig out the acorn and tear up the paper even more in the process?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bioshuffle posted:

I am tending to an abandoned raised garden bed left by the previous home owners. I tilled the soil, ripped out as much of the grass and weed roots as I could, and covered the whole thing in cardboard and magazine paper to kill off the remnants. After a few days, I removed the cardboard, used magazine pages to cover the whole bed, and started putting down some potting soil mix. Is it safe to use magazine pages as a liner? I wasn't sure if the color ink would affect anything.

In addition, to my dismay, I woke up this morning to a bunch of acorns which are sprouting and tore right past the paper barrier. What's my best move at this point? Do I just dig out the acorn and tear up the paper even more in the process?

Dont use anything waxy or shiny. And yeah some seeds will take a long time to pop due to stratification so you've really just got to pull them. When they're small they should really just slide right out. Most trees do a long tap root initially.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People use cardboard and newspaper for "lasagna" layering like that. I don't think I'd use magazine paper. You're supposed to layer it pretty thick for it to block weeds though -- 1 or 2 inches.

I've never bothered with that process though. I just put down cardboard as needed to kill off large patches of weeds, and I pull the rest up by hand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I used a big roll of kraft paper for that this year and the places where I put down 1 layer the weeds punched through, but the places where I put 2-3 are fine.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Son of a bitch, sounds like I need to dig under the bags of soil I laid down to pull out the magazine pages. It's definitely the waxy variety. Thanks for the heads up!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That moment where you find a big honking side growth on the tomato you've been single stemming.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People use cardboard and newspaper for "lasagna" layering like that. I don't think I'd use magazine paper. You're supposed to layer it pretty thick for it to block weeds though -- 1 or 2 inches.

I've never bothered with that process though. I just put down cardboard as needed to kill off large patches of weeds, and I pull the rest up by hand.

I did this for a large bed I put in at the beginning of this year. A single layer of cardboard with 2-3" of mulch on top was enough to kill virtually all of the grass and weeds. I got a few little sprouts of grass and poo poo where I had left small gaps, but that's easy to pull.

I don't think it's particularly good for soil health based on all of the worms and poo poo staying right near the surface (I assume because the cardboard is making it anaerobic) but it sure does beat cutting in beds by hand.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This for me, but with corn. My sunflowers seem to be handling wind just fine. And I hear you with letting squash growing on the ground. I wanted to trellis them, but they started really taking off just about the time I finished harvesting my leafy greens and now that they're beginning to fruit I just can't be arsed anymore.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CommonShore posted:

That moment where you find a big honking side growth on the tomato you've been single stemming.

I tried to single stem this year but I gave up fighting it after a while. It's messy but they do produce.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I tried to single stem this year but I gave up fighting it after a while. It's messy but they do produce.

I just try to pinch as much of the indeterminate branches as possible. You know, before they take over the house and I have to sleep in the garage.

It’s working pretty great this year. I have two plants of an early type that are just going nuts with flowers. If these all become tomatoes I’ll have 100+ ~6oz fruits from just the two plants.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Probably squash vine borers :rip:

Almost certainly. The good news is I've mostly gotten over my aversion to pulling plants that just aren't working. Still takes me longer to make the decision then it should, but I'm taking baby steps.

On the topic of weed control, I've always read that if you're trying to kill weeds by laying down cardboard or something similar to block light, you'll need to keep it down for much longer than a few days. Having said that, I did just put some cardboard down in a 5' x 5' section of my garden that I weeded pretty thoroughly. It was a section that I'd previously planted with starters I bought from a local nursery. When I planted them, I put landscape fabric down and cut holes for the plants, then mulched on top of the fabric and around the plants. That was three years ago, and the weeds have only just started taking over. So much easier to pull weeds when they can't put deep roots down. Probably going to use that method again shortly, since I still have a good bit of the fabric left.

Finally, my efforts to finally grow tomatoes other than the marble-sized cherry tomatoes the seeds for which a friend told me he got from some guys from Costa Rica have apparently failed again. Even the places where I planted Roma, the tomatoes that are growing are putting out the little cherries. They're tasty, but it takes dozens of them to make a pint and that's about the most I ever get at one time. At least they work well in papaya salad. The one plant I'm pretty sure is a Roma was taking off for a while, but it's now starting to yellow and wilt a bit at the growing tips, too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

Finally, my efforts to finally grow tomatoes other than the marble-sized cherry tomatoes the seeds for which a friend told me he got from some guys from Costa Rica have apparently failed again. Even the places where I planted Roma, the tomatoes that are growing are putting out the little cherries. They're tasty, but it takes dozens of them to make a pint and that's about the most I ever get at one time. At least they work well in papaya salad. The one plant I'm pretty sure is a Roma was taking off for a while, but it's now starting to yellow and wilt a bit at the growing tips, too.

It sounds like your soil is a bit low on nutrients. Try some tomato fertilizer and regular watering. Tomatoes can grow great, but are particular about regularity of water, and really do well when you give them lots of nutrition. You may have to fertilize again in mid-July too if your soil is starting out low.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

rojay posted:

Almost certainly. The good news is I've mostly gotten over my aversion to pulling plants that just aren't working. Still takes me longer to make the decision then it should, but I'm taking baby steps.

Vine borers aren't game over for squash if the plant is otherwise okay. Just dig the bastards out and then bury the stem. If you don't have good enough access to fish around in the stem but you have a good idea of where the little guys are, you can just stab the stem in a bunch of places until you're pretty sure they're dead. Zucchini are tough motherfuckers and will almost always be fine.

I wish I had pictures, but last year I had a gross as hell vine borer infestation that left one zucchini plant with its main stem just totally rotten and disgusting. I buried the damaged portion of the stem and the plant bounced back to more or less full health in a few weeks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm looking for a bit of help diagnosing what's up with this plant, (the yellow withered bits basically).

There were a lot of slugs on them a week or two back in the middle of the plant and i assumed it was because of them. So i popped down slug repellant/killer (the little blue dots you can see on the ground) and that seemed to take care of them (haven't seen any slugs since).

However the middle of the plant doesn't seem to have recovered at all.

My lawn was reseeded last month too so the plant's been getting a daily dose of light watering (via a rotary sprinkler, on for 15 mins a pop) while i water the lawn. The plant itself was planted last October so it's been in there for a while and it seemed like it was growing fine up until a few weeks back when i noticed the yellow bits and the slugs.

I've a few more of these scattered around the garden too and they all seem to have similarish symptoms (the slugs were everywhere).

Also, the bed that it's in is a planter built on top of drainage so it's never really too wet in the soil.

Could it be over watering? The place where we bought the plants from said that it was a pretty hardy plant (aubrieta) that can survive in dry soil so i'm not sure what we're doing wrong.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What do people think about products like Thermacell for use in the garden? I have the world's worst mosquito problem (I've been in swamps, and yes it's worse). Nothing I've tried has really worked. Thermacell seems effective, but I'm concerned that it might be too effective and harm all the pollinators that are attracted to the garden. I can't even find anything written about this concern. People wonder about the health effects, but no one's asking about the risk of spraying

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What do people think about products like Thermacell for use in the garden? I have the world's worst mosquito problem (I've been in swamps, and yes it's worse). Nothing I've tried has really worked. Thermacell seems effective, but I'm concerned that it might be too effective and harm all the pollinators that are attracted to the garden. I can't even find anything written about this concern. People wonder about the health effects, but no one's asking about the risk of spraying

Do you know where they're breeding and you have standing water? I'd get some BTI thingies and kill as many as possible before they destroy you. My in-laws is bfe Minnesota use those and the county kills them in the breeding areas and that keeps it okay. No giant clouds of the things most years, just small clouds of them.

We have one of those small Thermacell things that you can put on your belt, but it works only okay. About as well as the citronella candles did.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I maintain a couple of water pools filled with BTI, but it's not enough. The neighbors don't care enough to clean up their junk, and we're backed up against a dense forested creek area full of deer. Plenty of places to feed and breed.

Fans are too narrow. It's too hot and humid for permethrin clothes. Bug spray works but is gross and needs to be applied constantly. Those UV bug zappers just kill moths. I've accepted that summer is mostly off limits, but I come across new solutions sometimes and wonder if they'd work. A big thermacell might work on a still day, but it's not worth it if it's going to kill all the pollinators I've worked so hard to attract.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I maintain a couple of water pools filled with BTI, but it's not enough. The neighbors don't care enough to clean up their junk, and we're backed up against a dense forested creek area full of deer. Plenty of places to feed and breed.

Fans are too narrow. It's too hot and humid for permethrin clothes. Bug spray works but is gross and needs to be applied constantly. Those UV bug zappers just kill moths. I've accepted that summer is mostly off limits, but I come across new solutions sometimes and wonder if they'd work. A big thermacell might work on a still day, but it's not worth it if it's going to kill all the pollinators I've worked so hard to attract.

Thermacell doesn't kill anything, including the mosquitos, so you shouldn't have a problem. It's just a repellant and you wouldn't want to leave it on all day anyway. Anecdotally, when we've used ours it seems to be just the mosquitos being bothered by it as the bees would all be doing their thing in the grapes and flowers.

You could walk through by the creek and drop in dunks, or take a mini-fogger machine and just murder them, but it would only make a dent if your neighbors aren't also doing things to help. That's just miserable unfortunately, I hate mosquitos.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thermacells radiate Allethrin, a pyrethroid that is highly toxic to insects and fish, and mildly toxic to other organisms. It's definitely more than a bad smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I deal with plants that have PM on it?