Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes now is the best time to buy new, relatively guilt free. As far as checking when features became available, use wikipedia to find out when a generation came out, then read that year's review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Guinness posted:

Buying new and taking care of it and driving it for many years is also a BFC-approved approach. Especially an economy car like a Kia with 0% financing.

Double especially right now with the turbofucked used market. Even before the current used car bubble, the used car depreciation mantra has been less and less true for years.
I'm buying via business entity directly from Manheim, while exercising a number of unique tax deductions. New car is not an option.

Edit: Fair enough VVV

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 17, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitrox posted:

I'm buying via business entity directly from Manheim, while exercising a number of unique tax deductions. New car is not an option.

it would probably benefit you to say this up front rather than just saying you "prefer" to buy used

edmunds and similar sites have features by trim and model year but there's not a great way to get a dump of the data.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes now is the best time to buy new, relatively guilt free. As far as checking when features became available, use wikipedia to find out when a generation came out, then read that year's review.

Seriously. For shits and giggles, the comp to my 2013 Mazda 2 5MT with 50k mi is selling for $12k. And the one for sale is the wrong color. I spent $15k for this car new.
Not that you can buy a new Mazda2, but if you're buying an 8 year old $15k econobox (even if it is the best econobox) for $3k under the new price (now, sans warranty), you're loving nuts.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Are the old Mercedes A class reliable? The tall, round ones.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The ones that failed the moose test because MB thought they could get away with no TCS?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Question about owning a new car, since I bought in another state I didn’t get an inspection sticker. Will bringing it to a Toyota dealer in my state inspect it for free?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ethanol posted:

Question about owning a new car, since I bought in another state I didn’t get an inspection sticker. Will bringing it to a Toyota dealer in my state inspect it for free?

Call them and find out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

State inspections are not free.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ethanol posted:

Almost certainly no but like the other person says you can at least call. If your state inspections are cheap enough they might spot you in exchange for your deets getting loaded into their autodialer and mailer maintenance system.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ok thanks, I’ll call I just wanted to see if it was normal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least in Mass a lot of dealers don't do state inspections.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most state inspections put money right into state accounts so even if they do it on site and could or wanted to comp labor they are going to owe the state the fee. That's why I figure it's a question of how desperate they are to get you in their books. I.e. if you get first oil change coupons with your signing paperwork from a distant dealer but you want to use your local dealer they will often honor those to get you in the door.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

The ones that failed the moose test because MB thought they could get away with no TCS?

I remember the very first ones used to topple in sharp corners, but they fixed that.
Is that the moose test?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
This is a pretty good reminder of the state of automatic safety systems. For drivers who are attentive and generally safe without them, they can be an additional layer of safety. But, automated collision avoidance is way too unreliable to depend on as anything but a backup, it's really unreliable for non-car road users, and the marketing is way out in front of what the engineering can actually do.

https://twitter.com/j_mindell/status/1405540214743859205

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

uguu posted:

I remember the very first ones used to topple in sharp corners, but they fixed that.
Is that the moose test?

Yeah it’s a Swedish motor journalism test where you do a quick double lane change as if you are going down a rural two lane road, a moose walks out in your lane but there’s oncoming traffic so you go into the oncoming lane to avoid the big thing with antlers and then back into the right lane to avoid Sven Andersson in a clapped out 245 doing 120 km/h. If you’re in an A class or a Jeep you end up doing a barrel roll into the ditch

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

This is a pretty good reminder of the state of automatic safety systems. For drivers who are attentive and generally safe without them, they can be an additional layer of safety. But, automated collision avoidance is way too unreliable to depend on as anything but a backup, it's really unreliable for non-car road users, and the marketing is way out in front of what the engineering can actually do.

https://twitter.com/j_mindell/status/1405540214743859205

Why does it look for pedestrians in particular? Doesn't it have some kind of radar that tells computers about an obstruction ahead and to slow down. Who gives a dick how many umbrellas they have

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re walking around with multiple umbrellas you should be run over tbh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nitrox posted:

Why does it look for pedestrians in particular? Doesn't it have some kind of radar that tells computers about an obstruction ahead and to slow down. Who gives a dick how many umbrellas they have
The corner they have themselves in is that a radar cross section of a cardboard box or clump of plastic bags and a human can look similar and activating emergency brake force in the middle of a highway at speed can cause a pileup. So they got these pretzel systems guestimating what is a human and what is a plastic bag through multi sensor mediums.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nitrox posted:

It's really hard for computer vision, radar, or lidar to discriminate between background clutter and actual obstructions in an uncontrolled environment like a public street. It seems easy for you because your brain and eyes have evolved to do it automatically over millions of years.

Cars usually just classify things they're interested in, and ignore the rest, so they don't freak out at every funny-shaped bush or garbage bag. It's relatively easy to train a machine learning system to identify objects - you just feed it tons of tagged examples ("here are ten thousand pictures with pedestrians in them at this location, here are ten thousand pictures without pedestrians" - you help google do this every time you solve reCAPTCHA). But, if your training data was, say, all people on the engineering team, and none of them were holding anything or pushing a stroller, then the ML system will faithfully identify only what it was trained to see.

End result: inattentive drivers learn to trust the system that works some of the time, on the right people, stare at their phone because they've got MAGIC ACTIVE SAFETY that makes everything all right, and then end up prying what used to be a baby carriage or an unusually tall person or someone with the "wrong" skin tone off the front of their car.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

This 2008 bmw 328i has 5K miles and is listed at $3,500. Listing says

quote:

Has a small oil leak, the red plastic part on the tail light is broken & the bumper is dented

I know BMWs have a high maintenance cost, but is this still a good deal?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That is quite the rolling dumpster fire. I would say no but that's me, depends on how much work you can do yourself. Since I have no garage or workshop and can't do any of that stuff myself, I would run far away.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you have to ask that question, you don't want it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Also, I know it's a given with this whole car, but more than just the bumper and light assembly are significantly damaged in that photo. The metal quarter panel is clearly misaligned with the trunk.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
A good (though unfortunate) rule of thumb is that any damaged car for sale is NOT a good deal. They are most likely sellimg it because it is not worth it to fix. Otherwise they would have fixed it themselves and sold it/kept driving it. While that rule can get a bit blurry in terms of cosmetics/ features (car with crappy paint, blown out speakers, rough interior, etc.) It's still a generally poor indication for how fhe car was treated. In this case, the car has serious damage from an accident that must be addressed before driving it, AND a pre-existing and unexplained oil leak. That would be a bad deal for $1000 because it's definitely looking at more than $5k worth of work to make it reliable in the short term (~6 months). Please do not buy it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Someone put it best, but if you have to ask, it's definitely not for you. People who understand the body work and the costs involved are either bought it already or passed on.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

zedprime posted:

cross section of a cardboard box or clump of plastic bags and a human can look similar and activating

To human eyes, too!

Several years ago a friend of mine was riding his bike and was hit, ran over, and dragged by a young woman in a sedan.

People ran out into the street trying to stop the woman, but she kept driving for a block.

She later told the cops that she thought she hit a cardboard box, and didn't stop because she was afraid of being carjacked.

He spent months in a hospital and she got off Scott free. Whenever I talk to him I make a bad joke about how square he's looking.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

is this a typo?

Because my immediate response is that it's either a typo or this thing literally sat in a junkyard for a decade.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bird with big dick posted:

is this a typo?

Because my immediate response is that it's either a typo or this thing literally sat in a junkyard for a decade.

Vanos (and everything else) doesn’t like sitting that long.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

is this a typo?

not a typo, it is actually 5k.
But I will not be going to look at it. Thanks goons

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not a typo but you haven't seen it yet....My guess is it's not really 5k miles when you physically look at the odometer in person

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

They’re probably looking at 5k on the trip odometer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I feel ya, I had a 2012 Fit and loved that car until I changed jobs and had a 40 mile commute each way, primarily on a high-speed freeway that runs about 75-80 each way.

Sure, it’s not -that- slow, but you gotta rev the piss out of (YO VTEC) to get any power out of it, and the transmission has to drop from 5th to 3rd to get there, so you have to bury the throttle in order to do any sort of acceleration above 70 or so.

Trying to drive smoothly is impossible, it’s like “no discernible acceleration…..more throttle….still nothing….more throttle…it downshifts….little better but I need more power, so more throttle….FINALLY it downshifts again, hits 5000rpm and takes off ok down the highway’

Eventually you end up driving like loving nitwit - either cruising speed or full throttle, all herky-jerky. I put up with it for 18 months before throwing in the towel and buying a new V6/stick Accord. No more acceleration issues, EVER :D

I’m just throwing this in here because unless you try to drive at speeds over 75 in an automatic Fit, you won’t understand. A stick would have been better, but A) nobody had one anywhere near me, and B) the stick Fits have a much lower final drive/overdrive gearing and they cruise at a much higher RPM even in top gear, which was annoying on the test drive but would have been a better choice in the long run.

If they made a Fit Si with the 176hp ‘L’ series motor out of the Civic, I’d buy two of them, one to put away later and other to drive until it disintegrated. Great car, but not set up to cruise at higher speeds.
FWIIW, I just drove my shitbox GD Fit/Jazz with the 1.3l powerhouse i Germany and it did 100mph and more without any issues. Really I don't see an issue on the highway, where you can plan your overtaking between much faster traffic, but on the rural roads where you might have one chance in 20 minutes to get past a bus or something. Obviously through a powerful luxury car would be quieter and more comfortable on the highway in any case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobbly you have a manual which helps a lot

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mobbly you have a manual which helps a lot

Yeah, I cursed myself for not searching farther afield for a stick at least 5x a day for a year. Most Honda dealers had like three Fits, with only one of them the Sport model(which I wanted), none of them stick shifts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you're buying a car with 100hp, for the love of God, don't buy the auto.
Signed, a mazda2 5mt owner

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nm posted:

This. Also disregard what any occupants of the vehicle might say about how high you rev the thing.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

nm posted:

Not 100hp, but the exception to the rule was my Scion tC which had an absurdly low final drive ratio on the manual. It was not anemic but it would normally be doing 4k RPMs at normal freeway cruising speeds.

Toyota has to be the exception to the "never buy a first model year car" rule. Whenever they enter a new market segment they tend to over-engineer that car. My tC was the best dollar value I've ever had in a car, aside from the gearing issue.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
My 2004 Ford Ranger is essentially dead, it has some issues with one of the timing chains. It... technically runs? But it sure as gently caress sounds terrible and frankly I'll probably be lucky if it even makes it home from the service center. Gonna miss you, bud, we had a lot of good times. So I'm about to go car shopping without really having any idea of what's even out there these days.

We also have an aging Toyota Matrix which my wife uses to get to work and it's also our "road trip" vehicle. So, with the Ranger's impending doom we're thinking of replacing it with a new main road trip car, and then sometime down the road when the Matrix starts acting old, maybe replacing it with another used truck so our ability to handle most vehicle-related things is restored. The "truck" part of the truck has been handy but tbh we don't actually use it that frequently. I think we're going to be fine without a vehicle that may not have that much storage/hauling capacity for a while, maybe we'll find that we don't even want a truck once the Matrix dies.

My main gripe with the Matrix is that despite being reliable as gently caress, it kind of sucks to actually RIDE in. The interior is basically a bunch of snap-together plastic panels that are constantly falling off and needing snapped back on, it's not very comfortable to actually sit in for a long time, and it's LOUD AS HELL inside when you're on the highway. But it has gotten pretty nice gas mileage and with only a few exceptions has never failed to start when we need it to and get us to where we're going.

So here's what we got:

Proposed Budget: $15000, max. We're thrifty bitches and aren't taking out any new loans
New or Used: used
Body Style: I'm flexible. It's just the two of us so we don't really need 4 doors.
How will you be using the car?: driving very short distances to work and also semi-frequent road trips (we have family a few hundred miles away and visit them with some regularity). Sometimes we like to gently caress off to remote wooded areas on gravel or uneven roads
What aspects are most important to you? reliability and also as smooth and quiet on the highway as possible so I can hear my podcasts and homebrew electronic ambient DAWless jams in peace. Other than that I don't really care about bells and whistles like heated seats or a back up cam or sunroof or whatever.

Thanks, appreciate any suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reliable, quiet, affordable? Sounds like "the nicest Lexus you can afford" to me. Maybe a high-trim Toyota where the line blurs between Lexus and Toyota.