Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thirding that old tshirts make the best stain applicators. You can really work it into the grain and get the best results.

Be careful disposing the used rags as they are a combustible hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Johnny Truant posted:

So, dumb question: can you use a paint brush for quite different things? Like, I'm going to be painting interior walls, but also want to stain a solid wood countertop to turn into a desk. As long as I clean the brush well, could I use it for all of these things?

If it's a Purdy, you want to clean it regardless, but I'd use one for oil and another for latex, etc. If it's a throwaway, throw it away.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I've changed my brush strategy over the years. I've gone from cheap, throw-away brushes and minimal cleaning to buying a couple of high quality brushes, a brush cleaning comb, and learning how to clean brushes properly and taking the time to do it. A natural bristle brush for oil-based, a synthetic for water-based. It's made a difference in the quality of my work in places where I care. That, and learning what a cutting-in brush is and how to use it.

I did gently caress up one of my Purdy brushes by getting careless and not cleaning it properly. I hate myself.

I still grab a cheap brush for dabbing a bit of Rustoleum on the tractor, assuming I can't use a spray bomb.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

I really really hope the DeWalt DWS780 goes on sale somewhere for Father’s Day (or Prime Day), although I know it probably won’t.

… but if by some miracle it does, then someone please post a link to it in this thread. I want one so bad.

The normal price is $599 and I think the lowest I’ve seen outside an occasional eBay listing is like $521.

The DWS779 is on sale for $399 right now.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-12-in-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-Blade-Wrench-Material-Clamp-DWS779/206541015

According to the comments on Home Depot it's the exact same extremely similar to the DWS780 but without the XPS LED light system. You can buy the light kit separately for $65.

edit: The saw is a bit lighter as well so it seems there may be some internal differences between the two but they still are functionally the same. Up to you if it's work the $200 savings

From HD comments

quote:

Lots of incomplete answers here. The most obvious difference between the 779 and 780 is the XPS shadow light which, as others note, you can add after the fact AS OF THIS WRITING. Dewalt has a habit of updating individual parts of a saw (you will see references to Type 1, Type 2, etc.), and from one sub-version to the next you could lose or gain features...it is even possible that one subtype might be upgradable and another is not. Case in point, the older non-sliding 12" dual bevel DW716 is upgradable and can have the XPS shadow light added to it....the latest DW716 cannot.

Beyond, the XPS light, rumor has it the latest version of the DWS779 does NOT have the in between bevel stops (22 degrees, etc.), while the earlier version did. I don't know if it has the "holes" so that you could add them. IT would be REALLY disappointing if you could not add those stops.

On the Dewalt website, there are some part number deltas between the DWS780 and the DWS779 which suggests there could be other "under the hood" differences as well.

Finally, the blade that comes with the DWS779 is a 32 tooth blade which is barely even suitable for a miter saw - as compared to the much more versatile 60 tooth blade that comes with the DWS780. In short, for the DWS 779 you cold be looking at adding the light kit for $70 or so and a decent $50-$60 blade to bring it in line with the DWS780. It is still "worth it" to get the DWS779 IMO when compared to the full price DWS780, but when the DWS780 is on sale, that delta is a lot smaller...

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What variables do you need to account for when changing bars on a chainsaw?

I've got a Husqvarna 120i with a 14" bar, 3/8-Inch Pitch.050-Inch Gauge. It is this bar as near as I can tell:
https://www.amazon.ca/Husqvarna-531300375-14-Inch-HL280-52-050-Inch/dp/B004MW3PZE/

I'm looking at this other bar:
https://www.amazon.ca/Oreon-Cutting-Systems-541652-14-Inch/dp/B003YHEN4U
From the description it also has a "Power sharp 3/8-Inch Pitch Low Profile 050 Gauge 52 Drive Link Single Loop Chain"

Stock chain has 52 drive links.(https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000UMLYJY/) So does the chain that goes on this bar. (https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-PS52-PowerSharp-Craftsman-Homelite/dp/B003VS0Y86/)

It appears to me that the self-sharpening bar should be compatible with my saw. Am I overlooking anything?

e: fixed link

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any recs for a studfinder? Not sure how this one got added to my potential tools list, but :shrug: I do have a small, relatively(I think) strong magnet that I used in my last apartment to locate nails, but I don't know anything about an actual like, electrical stud finder.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I prefer the magnet versions to any electronic one I've ever owned. I've had misses / bad data from electronic ones, but never missed a stud with the magnetic finder.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

DreadLlama posted:

What variables do you need to account for when changing bars on a chainsaw?

I've got a Husqvarna 120i with a 14" bar, 3/8-Inch Pitch.050-Inch Gauge. It is this bar as near as I can tell:
https://www.amazon.ca/Husqvarna-531300375-14-Inch-HL280-52-050-Inch/dp/B004MW3PZE/

I'm looking at this other bar:
https://www.amazon.ca/Oreon-Cutting-Systems-541652-14-Inch/dp/B003YHEN4U
From the description it also has a "Power sharp 3/8-Inch Pitch Low Profile 050 Gauge 52 Drive Link Single Loop Chain"

Stock chain has 52 drive links.(https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000UMLYJY/) So does the chain that goes on this bar. (https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-PS52-PowerSharp-Craftsman-Homelite/)

It appears to me that the self-sharpening bar should be compatible with my saw. Am I overlooking anything?

Pitch, gauge, and number of drive links should be all you need, unless the MBAs are working their magic and something really weird is going on with saw chains these days.

I'd be interested in how well that self-sharpening widget works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I prefer the magnet versions to any electronic one I've ever owned. I've had misses / bad data from electronic ones, but never missed a stud with the magnetic finder.

Seconding the magnetized versions although I think a electronic one as a backup is a good idea.

Magnetic ones are cool because you can just leave them hanging on the wall when you find the stud if you don't want to mark any lines that might show

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Any recs for a studfinder? Not sure how this one got added to my potential tools list, but :shrug: I do have a small, relatively(I think) strong magnet that I used in my last apartment to locate nails, but I don't know anything about an actual like, electrical stud finder.

That looks a lot like the electronic display (and therefore probably guts) of the Bosch one I have. It's the only electronic stud finder I've ever found useful. In fact, I don't use my magnetic one anymore because even if it fails to detect wood you flip it over to metal and it does a fine job of finding screws.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Johnny Truant posted:

Of all the electronic stud finders I have ever used, the only ones worth even half a poo poo have been the Franklin sensors multi-led ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-FS710PROProSensor-Professional-Finder/dp/B0195K8OT4

They show up at Costco every once in a while if you have a membership there.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Captain Organ posted:

Of all the electronic stud finders I have ever used, the only ones worth even half a poo poo have been the Franklin sensors multi-led ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-FS710PROProSensor-Professional-Finder/dp/B0195K8OT4

I got one of the Costco ones and it hasn't failed me yet. I keep a magnetic one around to double check as well.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Can someone sell me on the idea of buying a stud finder at all? I’m not the most experienced in any way but every time I go to hang something that absolutely has to be in a stud, I just break out some neodymium magnets and drag it across the wall until I find a nail… it works every time. Then I move lower and find another one. Assuming the lumber is straight, I’ve got a rough outline of where the stud is.

What am I missing? I’m sure it’s something… otherwise why would stud finders exist?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Hexigrammus posted:

Pitch, gauge, and number of drive links should be all you need, unless the MBAs are working their magic and something really weird is going on with saw chains these days.

I'd be interested in how well that self-sharpening widget works.

Sounds like it should be compatible in that case. Thanks for the confirmation.

Here's a before and after with the stock chain:

And here's a before with the self-sharpening guy:

I'll post after pics later. First I have to buy something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

namlosh posted:

Can someone sell me on the idea of buying a stud finder at all? I’m not the most experienced in any way but every time I go to hang something that absolutely has to be in a stud, I just break out some neodymium magnets and drag it across the wall until I find a nail… it works every time. Then I move lower and find another one. Assuming the lumber is straight, I’ve got a rough outline of where the stud is.

What am I missing? I’m sure it’s something… otherwise why would stud finders exist?

Good stud finders can do this, as well as finding electrical wires and wood density.

You'll likely be fine using your method if you're just hanging things and your house was well sheetrocked. But you can't find the edges of a stud, can't identify packed out studs, etc just by finding drywall screws. This may not be a thing you need to do, in which case carry on.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I don't want to like brag or anything but if anyone needs to test their stud finder....

*flex*

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Captain Organ posted:

Just a note: this has worked very poorly in my lathe and plaster walls.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Have you found any way to find studs in those? Because the only thing I've found is knocking and luck. Even when you find one......who knows where the next one might be. Or the one after that. I've not found a lot of consistency.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

That looks a lot like the electronic display (and therefore probably guts) of the Bosch one I have. It's the only electronic stud finder I've ever found useful. In fact, I don't use my magnetic one anymore because even if it fails to detect wood you flip it over to metal and it does a fine job of finding screws.

:toot: Tight, that's a solid endorsement. I was wondering if the metal mode on it would be useful for finding screws. And, if all else fails, well, I have a magnetic one anyway :shrug:

Actually, uh, strange question, but did anyone purchase the stud finder I linked? Specifically from the link I provided? I went into my the Amazon list it was in, which is set to private, and when I clicked on it to add to my cart, I got a "Someone may have bought this for you" message, which I then confirmed by pressing the "Did someone buy this for me?" button. The only other person I could guess that would have access to that list is my pops, who I just texted but have not gotten a response from.

I'm wondering if this is like.. bad? No other orders have been purchased from my Amazon account, it has a unique password, but this is the first time I've seen this and I definitely did not buy the stud finder (yet). :psyduck:

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

I want to move a lot of dirt around. Rent a bobcat? Buy an electric wheelbarrow??

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idk about electric wheelbarrow (having just looked it up). It strikes me as a solution in need of a problem. I manually moved a shitload of dirt by myself this spring (3 dump trailers worth) and moving/dumping the wheelbarrow was the easiest part of the process. It's the filling of the wheelbarrow that takes time and energy.

If you're going to put power and money into it, go with the bobcat. If you're going to cheap out, cheap out all of the way and grab your work gloves and start shoveling.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, powered wheelbarrows are a solution for "I need to move soil (or other heavy stuff) over uneven terrain, or especially uphill". But yeah, they won't save you from having to fill the wheelbarrow, and that's a lot of work all on its own.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Have you found any way to find studs in those? Because the only thing I've found is knocking and luck. Even when you find one......who knows where the next one might be. Or the one after that. I've not found a lot of consistency.

Not really, but we've only lived here a month. The house is 90 years old so there's also lots of different renovation been done over the years.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

street doc posted:

I want to move a lot of dirt around. Rent a bobcat? Buy an electric wheelbarrow??

Get the bobcat. The very best argument is this: YOU GET TO DRIVE THE BOBCAT

It's a win-win.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

street doc posted:

See if you can rent a Kubota BX series subcompact tractor equipped with a front end loader and a backhoe. A subcompact's FEL is the equivalent of a self-loading wheelbarrow and with the backhoe you can really mess up your yard.

So much fun...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I saw a mini excavator on a trailer yesterday and now I'm desperately trying to find a reason to rent one.

I've always wanted a bobcat.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I bought one of these a couple years ago. I LOVE it. You can unload an entire truck load of gravel, dirt, mulch, etc in seconds.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-truck-bed-cargo-unloader-60800.html?_br_psugg_q=truck+bed+unloader

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't get trapped in a graveyard

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

I saw a mini excavator on a trailer yesterday and now I'm desperately trying to find a reason to rent one.

I've always wanted a bobcat.

I knew a psychotherapist who had one on his property out in the country and that was his personal therapy machine. Just push big piles of dirt around. Hell,......

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Danhenge posted:

Thats weird, its the only one that has worked on mine, both in the current house (1917) and my last apartment (~1900) both with heavy plaster walls. I usually sweep up and down the wall to confirm, but its pretty rare that I miss entirely.

Motronic posted:

This is also a good argument for keeping a 1/16 bit around to confirm with before you hang a heavy mirror or anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

I knew a psychotherapist who had one on his property out in the country and that was his personal therapy machine. Just push big piles of dirt around. Hell,......

I highly recommend it. I bought mine because it was cheaper than renting for the amount of jobs I have to do (and well used ones can be easily resold for what you paid for them) and I'm having a hard time thinking about actually parting with it even when I run out of legitimate jobs to do.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Captain Organ posted:

Thats weird, its the only one that has worked on mine, both in the current house (1917) and my last apartment (~1900) both with heavy plaster walls. I usually sweep up and down the wall to confirm, but its pretty rare that I miss entirely.

This is also a good argument for keeping a 1/16 bit around to confirm with before you hang a heavy mirror or anything.

Well, considering what Motronic said it might just be that I have weirdly spaced studs where I'm expecting them to be regularly spaced, which is what is confusing me!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Rutibex posted:

Don't get trapped in a graveyard

Pet cemetery :)

Stud finder jokes will never got old to me… my girlfriend is a saint

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Well, considering what Motronic said it might just be that I have weirdly spaced studs where I'm expecting them to be regularly spaced, which is what is confusing me!

They can be weirdly shaped too!

(I've seen a lot of this, living in a place where there are buildings from the 1700s)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I have one of these that you use to find the nails holding the lath to studs and it works OK. Basically you scan back and forth with the wide scan, and then when you detect metal you put it into the pinpoint mode to see if it's individual nails or a wire/pipe/etc. https://shop.zircon.com/metalliscanner-m40/ Definitely still feels more like a guessing game than with drywall though.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

They can be weirdly shaped too!

(I've seen a lot of this, living in a place where there are buildings from the 1700s)

My floor joists for the first floor all look reasonably shaped, so I imagine the rest of the lumber probably is too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

My floor joists for the first floor all look reasonably shaped, so I imagine the rest of the lumber probably is too

Most of the weird studs (and weird stud spacing) I've found has been for non load bearing walls. Seems like they did the needful for joists and load bearing - which of course they did because we're looking at survivorship bias by the simple fact these homes still exist - but partition walls? lol good luck.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

I highly recommend it. I bought mine because it was cheaper than renting for the amount of jobs I have to do (and well used ones can be easily resold for what you paid for them) and I'm having a hard time thinking about actually parting with it even when I run out of legitimate jobs to do.

My next door neighbour did the math and came to the same conclusion. Unfortunately he's had no luck trying to buy a second hand excavator in the local market. All these people moving out to rural properties over the last year are scooping every toy that pops up. One of our new neighbours bought one this winter by camping the dealers and nailing one coming in as a trade-in. He's come to regret his hasty purchase - the machine has spent more time in pieces in the shed than it has working.

Looks like it will be quicker to learn to weld, buy a set of plans, and build a backhoe for one of my subcompact tractors. Should be an adventure. But first I need to weld up a fire-fighting skid before fire season starts in earnest (he said, eyeing the record-setting heat wave nervously).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

My next door neighbour did the math and came to the same conclusion. Unfortunately he's had no luck trying to buy a second hand excavator in the local market. All these people moving out to rural properties over the last year are scooping every toy that pops up. One of our new neighbours bought one this winter by camping the dealers and nailing one coming in as a trade-in. He's come to regret his hasty purchase - the machine has spent more time in pieces in the shed than it has working.

Looks like it will be quicker to learn to weld, buy a set of plans, and build a backhoe for one of my subcompact tractors. Should be an adventure. But first I need to weld up a fire-fighting skid before fire season starts in earnest (he said, eyeing the record-setting heat wave nervously).

good news is in like 2 years when they sell their house because they had to go back to the office and their commute sucks.. maybe they'll get cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
If this thread is not the right one, please excuse my fast posting.

I have about a 1/2 acre of land that I cut grass on. I have converted all of my yard tools to banana flavor (Dewalt) battery lines. The push mower works great; blower the same. My string trimmer... is causing some problems. Well, its more like, it was made with cheapness in mind. It has a ratcheting spool that you smash on the grass to release some more string. I haven't been hitting it on anything hard, literally just bouncing it on fluffy grass patches. I emptied the inaugural spool of line and upon inspection, the "top" of the spool, i.e. the thing I push on the ground, has eroded and probably has like 10 more goes in it until it implodes. reviews online for the spool are... sub par and in line with this scenario. Basically everyone loves the trimmer until the spool disintegrates and it is hard as hell to get replacement caps, because I guess no one thought that using the cheapest plastic known to humanity would have this kind of issue. (The fact that they sell them in two packs says something else).

Is there a brand or product line of string trimmer spools that anyone here would recommend as a replacement for the OEM? I am happy to do the work to retro fit it onto my little bastard. I just want stuff that isn't going to eat itself in less than a summer.

Thank you all!