Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 8.28: well that was a loving shitstorm. im starting to see why belavierr went immortal mode, because when she's active she does nothing but make terrible decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Sike.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Welp, got caught up with all my web serials. Time to start the wandering inn, wish me luck.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I'm glad I started TWI really early in book 1, it would ruin my sleep for weeks if I was to start reading it for the first time right now. But hey, just means that much more wonderful story to experience for the first time!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI 8.28: well that was a loving shitstorm. im starting to see why belavierr went immortal mode, because when she's active she does nothing but make terrible decisions

Wasn't a huge fan of this one, everything just felt super contrived even with the threads of fate skill B used. Had there been any mention of Mrsha having some secret power before this? All those scenes with Pawn and his faith made me realize that it might have something to do with the gods coming back, as I can definitely see the antinium's faith cracking the door open a little. Hopefully we get that double chapter next time around!

edit: also gently caress that wanderer guy for emotionally manipulating Mrsha into leaving. Like she clearly has a massive amount of people who care about here and he even brings that fact up, but not even talking to or discussing it with anyone is super lovely. Yeah she has super magic powers that need to be trained and there are apparently secret societies that have nothing to do all day but hunt doombringers; However, he doesn't bother explaining this to get consent and just outright kidnaps her. Bleh

shirunei fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 20, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

shirunei posted:

Wasn't a huge fan of this one, everything just felt super contrived even with the threads of fate skill B used. Had there been any mention of Mrsha having some secret power before this? All those scenes with Pawn and his faith made me realize that it might have something to do with the gods coming back, as I can definitely see the antinium's faith cracking the door open a little. Hopefully we get that double chapter next time around!

belavierr was directly talking about the weird main-character aura around the inn, so it might be pulling a prac guide type thing where erin being the main character is an explicit metaphysical property of the world

asur
Dec 28, 2012
TWI: Fun chapter to read, but Belavierr actions don't really make sense and she would be long dead acting like that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

Welp, got caught up with all my web serials. Time to start the wandering inn, wish me luck.

The advice i got when i started in March and i say to you is there will be plotholes, don't worry about them too much.

(Things like a character says something, then early in the next chapter the same character reacts with surprise to that same bit of information.)

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

shirunei posted:

All those scenes with Pawn and his faith made me realize that it might have something to do with the gods coming back, as I can definitely see the antinium's faith cracking the door open a little.

this is established literally seconds after he gets the acolyte class in book two, there's a brief (one sentence, literally) reference to something waking up

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I am catching up on PracGuide. Just got to chapter 12 in the most recent book. I’m guessing Black is planning on burning the tower to the ground. I can’t think of what else he’d need ALL the goblinfire for.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Holy moley, just finished the TWI Patreon chapter and that was a lot to take in. Belavierr is a monster and all the stuff around her was awesome, although it's kinda silly she failed to gank a single character--although it tracks with what I mentioned before about not buying any apparent death that isn't at the end of a volume. Her menace was written real well, through; she was terrifying as a horror movie monster, and her talk of stories gave me some very Darkseid/Mandrakk at the end of Final Crisis vibes. In any other story this and the three way battle outside the inn would have been the final showdown.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

I am catching up on PracGuide. Just got to chapter 12 in the most recent book. I’m guessing Black is planning on burning the tower to the ground. I can’t think of what else he’d need ALL the goblinfire for.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain his plan is to eliminate the Tower entirely. That's why he said something along the lines of "no more half-measures."

I get the impression that (sort of general comments on where the story currently is) the Praes story is quickly heading to its conclusion, which makes sense given the Dead King still has to be addressed in the space of this Book.

I have a feeling that Akua will somehow play an integral role in preventing the Bard's plan from succeeding. Akua's behavior has surprised even Catherine*, so I really doubt that Bard is going to have predicted how much she's changed. If I had to guess, I think Akua will gain the Name that Bard is trying to force Catherine to gain - Warden of the East. The signs Catherine is heading towards that Name that showed up in an earlier chapter also make more sense if it's part of a Bard plot deliberately attempting to neuter her (since, as myself and others have commented, Warden of the East is a Name/Role that isn't exactly suited to accomplishing the things Catherine wants to accomplish, and those goals - the Accords - are what Bard wants to prevent).

* I think Catherine foresaw Akua not realizing she doesn't want to be Dread Empress until after she had already "climbed the Tower" (and basically having a long period of being in denial and trying to convince herself to enjoy typical Praesi shenanigans again) but Akua almost immediately started being honest with herself and even has a conscience now. In a way, Akua might also factor into the "members of the Woe growing into their own people separate from Catherine" narrative arc.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Brief reminder that Bird is the greatest character in literary history

"Klbkch is stupid."

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Bird gets way cooler.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

Bird gets way cooler.

The realization that letting him exist solely within his obsession with birds was unhealthy and that he's doing so much better now that he's a big brother to mrsha and best buds with numbtongue was probably the best part of the volume so far.

Broke: living in a cthulhu
Woke: the ant makes friends

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
ant gonna kill ____ one day

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Beneath the Dragoneye Moons Patreon
Holy poo poo.

I had been interested in seeing more of what was going on with the dwarves and being outside the Dead Zone, and was really curious about what could possibly have gone wrong causing Elaine to go missing. I expected "dragon incident" when one was brought up, but definitely not in this manner.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Onean posted:

Holy poo poo.

I had been interested in seeing more of what was going on with the dwarves and being outside the Dead Zone, and was really curious about what could possibly have gone wrong causing Elaine to go missing. I expected "dragon incident" when one was brought up, but definitely not in this manner.

To steal a quote well, that escalated quickly. I hope some of the dwarves from the dinner survived just so Elaine can go "I told you so."

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Onean posted:

Holy poo poo.

Glad you liked it! I can't tell you how many rounds of revision that "one" chapter got.
It was a stupid number.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

TWI 8.29

The Inn is an abandoned ruin once again, which feels extremely fitting - it is now in the same state it was when Erin first found it. I expect we'll see her in the afterlife at least once more before she returns, but that's probably coming quickly.

Bird continues to be great.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A Pocket or Two: This is very new, it seems well written, if rather generic. Basically the same plot as Perculiar Soul and RE: Monach, abused yet naive prince, dick dad who's doing the abuse "for your own good so you grow up tough oh no rip me you're on your own in a rough world now kid" kinda deal. It might go somewhere interesting, but it has only been up 2 days. I clicked to page 30 of the "top" list and this is where it took me.

The Primal Hunter: I just read through this over a few days or so. The main character is basically a combination of Jason from HWFWM and Randility Ghosthound, along with the plot from the latter. I enjoyed it quite a bit so far. It's a System thing, everyone is taken from earth and dumped in a new world and then those that survive come back to earth and have to form cities, that kinda deal. If you read either early RG or HWFWM and didn't hate it, this might appeal.

Vigor Mortis: I think this was recommended here? Street kid gains the power to DEVOUR SOULS, and then does so. The innocence thing seems a bit overdone but that's not uncommon, overall likeable and a cool magic system with none of that stats and system poo poo. I liked it a lot.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 24, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I am once again easily amused by a journey of black & red.

"I swear, vampires these days forget how to grasp prizes with their own bloody claws. Now, they only know how to recite Byron, count money, sway their hips, and lie."

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New patreon TWI is a lovely slice of life but

but genuinely, Apista is getting very very close to sapience - I wonder if she'll eventually be smart enough to get a class given she's literally just shown the will and the brain power to identify that she's going to get Mrsha back, AND she upgraded her needle by herself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Bird continues to be great.
“You silly people. Did you think I did not have Skills? I learned chess from Erin. I beat Erin. I am Bird the Hunter. As Ksmvr would say—”

His mandibles paused. He opened and closed them. He tilted his head and waved his antennae.

“…I have no idea. I do not like Ksmvr. Here is what I will say: I am better than all of you. Follow my orders! Authority!”

:allears: yeah.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI: As much as I want Mrsha to be rescued, Niers really shouldn't be on the team to do so. He's got a pogrom to stop over in Baleros!

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Twi: I want to read more about Luan the giant and the microprocessor revolution, and Kevin with the goblins.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 27, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
probably a good idea to stop having untagged TWI spoilers, yeah?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: So, Catherine revealing she explicitly anticipates Black's goal of burning everything to the ground basically guarantees there's more to his plan than that (though I'm sure his plan also includes that). I think some of the commentators were correct when they guessed that Black is going to still try to save Malicia, despite everything that has happened (and that this will put Cat into direct conflict with him). It's probably what Scribe noticed and chose not to reveal to Catherine. I'm really curious to see how things transpire. So many moving parts, several of which are Black, Malicia, and Catherine herself. Catherine explicitly discussing so many goals of her plan also basically guarantee that they won't fully work out as she's planning (which makes me very curious about how they will work out).

Catherine is going to be hit really hard by Hakram. By all appearances, she has absolutely zero clue about what he did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Catherine is going to be hit really hard by Hakram. By all appearances, she has absolutely zero clue about what he did.

I can see her being happy for him and the direction he's going once he's explained himself to her, though she'll still be hurt. It's not the direction they planned on when he made his oath to her way back in the beginning, but it fits the same overall goal of fighting back and freeing people from various degrees of enslavement-by-another-name that they were both so indignant at.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

I can see her being happy for him and the direction he's going once he's explained himself to her, though she'll still be hurt. It's not the direction they planned on when he made his oath to her way back in the beginning, but it fits the same overall goal of fighting back and freeing people from various degrees of enslavement-by-another-name that they were both so indignant at.

I mean, even if Hakram is still close with her and likely will not end up in conflict with her in any way, it's fundamentally ending the relationship they had. On an emotional/personal level, they were about as close as a married couple, except non-romantically. Hakram was the one person who Catherine knew would never lie to her and who she could always rely on. He literally formed a Name defined through its connection to her. During the most recent chapter (well, second most recent if the next chapter is out yet, forget when it comes out on Tuesday) she even thinks of Hakram while trying to cope with everyone else growing more distant from her, so it'll hit her especially hard to realize that she doesn't even have him anymore.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Last Ship in Suzhou ch 40: Y'know, at the end of 39 I was joking to myself that naturally Alice would get into an entirely unnecessary rivalry with this child.

A joke, it was :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Whoa, Agenda of the Villainess updated.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Argue posted:

Whoa, Agenda of the Villainess updated.

Surely this means that Super Minion is not too far behind! hahahaha

haha

:smith:

edit: this prompted me to catch up with Agenda and that was pretty drat good! wayyyyy better written than most RR junk, and I don't mean to drat with faint praise, it's gonna be genuinely worth keeping an eye on. the author notes are a delight

Ramie fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 3, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Katalepsis: Heather has an S2 organ, and a snack. Maya Badger throws up.

And a new character!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Lone Fang - Cultivator vs System is pretty fun so far. It's early days, but hopefully it holds together. The title is the premise - cultivator ends up in litrpg blue box world, where blue boxes are the way everyone gets skills and powers, and species (like ogres & kobolds) who can't use the wondrous divinely-granted system are kind of hosed without any real way to gain power.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

90s Cringe Rock posted:

And a new character!

I continue to really enjoy the cosmic horror segments. And that was a pretty good magical girl transformation.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Catching back up to the last couple months of TWI. 8.19 H was fuckin wild.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: My prediction (that I also saw reflected in a handful of comments) is that Catherine will be "saved" from the Bard/Malicia's plot by things like Pickler's proposal and Hakram becoming Warlord. Bard/Malicia's plan is basically for Catherine to become heavily involved in Praes politics (leading to a less threatening Name), and she sent Wither to make the proposal to her with this aim (plus the situation with the orcs, where the plan was likely for Catherine to simply act through Hakram - who was previously just an extension of her will - in backing an orc faction). But Bard likely has zero influence over Pickler, so Pickler's proposal will be outside of her plans (and is also kind of thematically satisfying since it would essentially mean that Robber had an integral role in foiling the Bard's plans). And there's a good chance Bard formed her plan under the assumption that Hakram would still be Adjutant. She can predict the actions of Names/Roles as if they were chess pieces, but a piece suddenly changing to a different piece would throw a wrench in that. Catherine deciding to let the orcs, with Hakram as leader, choose their own destiny would go against Bard's plans.

People interpreted the part at the end of Chapter 24 (with the stars fading) as evidence that "accepting Pickler's proposal moves Catherine away from her budding Name," but I think an alternative interpretation is that "Catherine focusing on managing goblin - and other Praesi - affairs is moving her away from her Name." The "stressing out over making the decision" part being the problem, but if she goes with Pickler's decision she would mostly just be giving the goblins an opportunity, rather than directly intervening within Praes (which is what would happen with the other two options).

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

And a new character!

The whole Orange Juice arc has been fantastic and also amazingly disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Atropha posted:

The whole Orange Juice arc has been fantastic and also amazingly disgusting.

I take that as the highest compliment, thank you.