Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our 5 ton AC unit has completely and utterly poo poo the bed (compressor) and I'm looking at a first quote of $9500 replace it and bring the system up to local code. Is there an HVAC thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Our 5 ton AC unit has completely and utterly poo poo the bed (compressor) and I'm looking at a first quote of $9500 replace it and bring the system up to local code. Is there an HVAC thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260

Is $9500 a whole new system? That seems cheap for summer gently caress you pricing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260

Is $9500 a whole new system? That seems cheap for summer gently caress you pricing.

Yeah, new Rheem unit with 15 year warranty, move the condenser out of the crawlspace.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that seems like a lot, I had my furnace, AC and condenser all replaced together last summer for about 9k

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

that seems like a lot, I had my furnace, AC and condenser all replaced together last summer for about 9k

Yeah, meanwhile it's 97 outside and 83 and climbing inside so whatcha gonna do :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, meanwhile it's 97 outside and 83 and climbing inside so whatcha gonna do :shrug:

oh yeah I get it, did you get any other quotes?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah I get it, did you get any other quotes?

We're getting 2 more tomorrow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My coworker had a good experience getting her ac system replaced through Costco

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Decided to de-ice my freezer today.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something I should be able to put here:

There was a detachable thing underneath the freezer (sitting on the ledge) that also seems like it would possibly be attached to the end of whatever goes in the slot. The combined fridge/freezer was included when I bought the apartment, so it is likely the previous owner didn't leave this part when he left.

I considered googling to see if anybody sells the part I'm missing, but then I ran into a problem: I have no idea what this part is called.
Could any of you tell me?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That looks like a space for a drawer to me.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The old shutters I'm replacing were chalked on the window edge of one of my windows. I can't see any reason to have done that other than appearance? The picture window near it didn't have this done and I'm hoping I don't need to bother redoing it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Final Blog Entry posted:

If you have an attic above that area you can access you may have better luck looking from in there. Water can be coming in from pretty far away from where it ends up. If the water stain is by an outside corner of the house it may be coming in much further up the roof and running down the underside to where it ultimately dripped onto the ceiling.

We're in a east-coast city rowhome, so no attic and the roof is too high up for me to access. We have a guest bedroom right above the kitchen, and during inspection they pointed to the other back corner of the house and posited that, if it was going to leak anywhere, it would be there. I guess I'll pull up our inspection report and re-read what they said about the roof...

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So when I moved into this house, I had to change the cord on my dryer to fit the plug. Posted it here, got it right, it turned on, it was fine. Now it's a week or two later and I went to do my load of laundry and the dryer wouldn't turn on. The breaker wasn't flipped to off, but flipping it off and back on fixed the issue and everything seems fine now.

Is this anything to be concerned about? The other day I was flipping some of the breakers off and on(but not the dryer I don't think? I can't remember about that one specifically tbh) to test what was causing some emi interference in my guitar, perhaps that could have to do with it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Our new house is on a well, and there's a drought on. I'd like to install an on-demand hot-water recirculation system. This is a 1931 house, so it's going to need to be the kind that returns water from the faucet farthest from the hot water heater to the cold pipes. I'm going to talk to the local plumbers to see what they install and service (not a great idea having the only Unicorn 2000+ in 200 miles). Is there anything I should watch out for or know?

This is an example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of:
https://chilipepperapp.com/index.php/how-it-works-2/

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 22, 2021

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Quick question before I fry myself: I need to replace a 30A breaker in my panel. I'm lucky enough to have one of the old and lovely split-bus panels, and this breaker is in the upper section. As far as I can tell, that means the bus bars will always be hot unless I can get someone to pull the meter. It *seems* like it would be fairly low risk to swing the offending breaker out and swap a new one in, even with the hot bus, but I might be an idiot. Should I just call the power company and see if they can have someone pull the meter for 10 minutes?

Fats fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 22, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fats posted:

Quick question before I fry myself: I need to replace a 30A breaker in my panel. I'm lucky enough to have one of the old and lovely split-bus panels, and this breaker is in the upper section. As far as I can tell, that means the bus bars will always be hot unless I can get someone to pull the meter. It *seems* like it would be fairly low risk to swing the offending breaker out and swap a new one in, even with the hot bus, but I might be an idiot. Should I just call the power company and see if they can have someone pull the meter for 10 minutes?

If you have to ask you should absolutely not work on a hot panel. Period the end. This is one of those things that you would know if you should do it from changing outlets and switches hot. Which you also shouldn't do.

If you have a smart meter they can kill the power remotely, whether they will do it on demand over the phone is another question entirely. Otherwise you should call an electrician.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
That's exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks. I get why they made split bus panels but man, seems dumb now. We did switch to smart meters a couple years ago, I'll call Pacific Power tomorrow and see if they can help. If not, I think I still know people at local 48.

Edit: I'm extra dumb, cause I missed the wiring thread completely. Look forward to more posts of me installing this mini-split and then tearing out an insane resistive ceiling heat setup.

Fats fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 22, 2021

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I am trying to hang my clothes dryer in my euro laundry (glorified cupboard)

I cannot find a stud anywhere to mount the bracket on.

How much of a bad idea is using four of these anchors?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-24mm-hollow-wall-carded-fastens-anchor_p2260193

The bracket is a similar model to this, a flat piece of steel.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-clothes-dryer-bracket-wall-mounting-kit_p0091713

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

C-Euro posted:

We're in a east-coast city rowhome, so no attic and the roof is too high up for me to access. We have a guest bedroom right above the kitchen, and during inspection they pointed to the other back corner of the house and posited that, if it was going to leak anywhere, it would be there. I guess I'll pull up our inspection report and re-read what they said about the roof...

Your leak is at the corner where your scupper for roof drainage is, and the tar/asphalt seal between your roof membrane/parapet wall opening and the scupper box has failed. Step outside and see, the downspout is right there.

If it is only leaking during wind-driven rain events, then the issue is more where the scupper meets the rear elevation.

If the water damage ain't bad, I wouldn't report it to your homeowners, but get a competent roofer to re-seal it or replace the scupper if it's bad. Flat-roof guys in metro areas tend to be careless at best, crooks at worst because they know you can't double-check their work. To mitigate chicanery, have them show you photos of what they find before they fi9x it, and photos after they're done. Tell then that you have looked at the roof with a drone. Whether or not you actually have a drone is not relevant to the conversation.

You can't believe the poo poo I've found on Phila rowhome roofs: toilets, piles of brick; cans of cold-patch. Junk. Car parts sunk into the asphalt coating. Using roof silver as a sealant.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

slothrop posted:

I am trying to hang my clothes dryer in my euro laundry (glorified cupboard)

I cannot find a stud anywhere to mount the bracket on.

I don't have to click to know you shouldn't mount 100lbs of rotating mass high off the ground without using studs.

Try parallel to the pipes and power, and the corners. Be careful, you might hit any of them drilling. Also start drilling test holes.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any guesses as to what kind of clamps #5 are in the diagram below?

lovely picture, I know.

Context: I'm trying to repair a very old snow blower's pull starter and most of its parts are discontinued. But I'm pretty sure that I've seen those clamps on other appliances. I just have no idea what they're called.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 22, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's your ceiling update

they sent me the mounting plate with the proper screw holes, but of course the screws are going to run into the attachment clips. Also there's no ground wire attached!

I'm just returning this loving thing gently caress this piece of poo poo company

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

melon cat posted:

lovely picture, I know.

Context: I'm trying to repair a very old snow blower's pull starter and most of its parts are discontinued. But I'm pretty sure that I've seen those clamps on other appliances. I just have no idea what they're called.

they look to be a "circlip" but that picture is not super good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

that's your ceiling update

they sent me the mounting plate with the proper screw holes, but of course the screws are going to run into the attachment clips. Also there's no ground wire attached!

I'm just returning this loving thing gently caress this piece of poo poo company

real easy to attach the ground wire.. drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw.. Then screw it in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tater_salad posted:

real easy to attach the ground wire.. drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw.. Then screw it in.

I don't understand, the mounting plate that works with my pancake box (in the center) does not have a ground wire, so what do I attach the ground wire coming from the junction box to?

I'm on hold with them lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I don't understand, the mounting plate that works with my pancake box (in the center) does not have a ground wire, so what do I attach the ground wire coming from the junction box to?

I'm on hold with them lol

you ahve a screw on the mounting bracket that's not attached. Unscrew it..
Drill a hole somewhere in the new mounting bracket.. Attach ground screw

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tater_salad posted:

you ahve a screw on the mounting bracket that's not attached. Unscrew it..
Drill a hole somewhere in the new mounting bracket.. Attach ground screw

they told me it only works on a 4" junction box

they could have told me this three weeks ago, and it was not advertised that way

oh well

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just ordered a different fixture - it weighs five pounds, but they are telling me to anchor it to the ceiling? I mean I can, but doesn't that seem like overkill for something that incredibly light

it's a 15x15x1 inch fixture that attachs with screws to those two holes at the end of the mounting plate.

and yes i did verify it works with my pancake box!!! :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

melon cat posted:

lovely picture, I know.

Its obvs hard to tell from the picture, but E clips?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...aw.ds#store=424

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I just ordered a different fixture - it weighs five pounds, but they are telling me to anchor it to the ceiling? I mean I can, but doesn't that seem like overkill for something that incredibly light

it's a 15x15x1 inch fixture that attachs with screws to those two holes at the end of the mounting plate.

Looks like it provides stability? It will be hard to know without seeing the fixture itself.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can you link the actual product you are trying to purchase so we can maybe suggest viable alternatives.

Is it something simple?
I have this guy form Home depot in my basement the plate screwed to the box.. no extra bullshit needed

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-El...WH-V2/313707726

Even the 2 big boys I have in the main area.. dont need anything extra if I recall.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-El...WH-V2/313707722

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Can you link the actual product you are trying to purchase so we can maybe suggest viable alternatives.

sure

https://www.quoizel.com/interior/ceiling-lighting/outskirts-flush-mount-flushmountost1615

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Looking at the install selection it it looks like it attaches to the ends of the brackets. This will prevent the metal from sagging over time since it's attaching away from where it's attached to the box. I'd attach with those drywall anchors to ceiling, if you don't not the end of the world but you might want to do it later on if you notice sagging.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Looking at the install selection it it looks like it attaches to the ends of the brackets. This will prevent the metal from sagging over time since it's attaching away from where it's attached to the box. I'd attach with those drywall anchors to ceiling, if you don't not the end of the world but you might want to do it later on if you notice sagging.

alright will do, thank you

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Two questions:
1)
There is water leaking into my freezer from the back of the freezer and freezing in the bottom

Where do I start with this?

e: Looks like I have a blockage in a drain and need to clear that out somehow. WIll try to take off the panel and see what I can do.

2)
The prior owner put some very textured paint in the basement. How do I repaint this? Sand first? Is this a nightmare job?

gvibes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 23, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gvibes posted:

Two questions:
1)
There is water leaking into my freezer from the back of the freezer and freezing in the bottom

Where do I start with this?

There's a drain behind that panel that is clogged. It's very common. I guarantee someone has made a youtube video on exactly how to fix it.

When it happened to my old Whirlpool, I took that cover off that's covering the evap coil, defrosted everything, and then made sure the drain line was clear.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

I need to remove these broken screws from a vintage guitar with as little damage as possible.
The holes will be covered by the pick guard and tremolo. Any ideas would be appreciated.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
File them flush and leave them in place?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

skipdogg posted:

There's a drain behind that panel that is clogged. It's very common. I guarantee someone has made a youtube video on exactly how to fix it.

When it happened to my old Whirlpool, I took that cover off that's covering the evap coil, defrosted everything, and then made sure the drain line was clear.
Turned out it was clogged with some dust/debris at the output behind the back panel. Based on every YouTube video suggesting that this is simply frozen clogged almost all the time, I was a little surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What are the rules on multiple cross posts? I've put this in a general thread earlier, then found the plumbing thread. Though I probably should have come straight in here...

MeKeV posted:

GAS?

I bought one of those cheep tankless gas water heaters a while a go.
I fired it up for a few seconds with a small tank of butane when it first arrived, and it worked (surprisingly) brilliantly. But I then stuffed it in the shed ever since.

I've just gone to get a new bottle for it to give it another go, and was checking the instructions on whether it 'prefers' butane or propane.....as I'm looking at the amazon listing I see I actually bought the 'natural gas' version. A tiny and somewhat loose sticker on the side, which looks like an after thought, does indeed say methane.

It's never going to get used with natural gas. Do I chalk it off as a loss and recycle/sell it, or is there some cross compatibility? I've seen some other models listed with both NG and LPG.
OR would that first try with the butane have exploded, had I left it on a bit longer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091T6V4GY/

Is there a more appropriate thread I should post this in somewhere?