Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

trusted name... in irc? who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Srspost for a second: Because moderating a chat network is work and projects like to have a place to chat that isn't filled with assholes. That requires trust in the operators of that network to moderate the space.

Freenode used to be a place where you could get an ircop to ban someone harassing a contributor for being trans. Nu-Freenode is a place where ircops join in on the harassment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
yeah all the old actually cool ircops are running libera now and the network seems to actually be rather stable at this point

basically everything that mattered on freenode has migrated either to libera or oftc, and now freenode is purging itself to start over as the new voat IRC/other far right shitholes that andrew lee financed and ran the chat servers for

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess thats why twitter is so popular

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Antigravitas posted:

Srspost for a second: Because moderating a chat network is work and projects like to have a place to chat that isn't filled with assholes. That requires trust in the operators of that network to moderate the space.

Yeah, this.

Most open source is thankless poo poo work being done by volunteers. Having a platform for discussion of said thankless poo poo work without having to deal with additional thankless poo poo work (moderating, hosting) is nice. Freenode built up a lot of goodwill towards the name for a long time to have some rear end in a top hat burn it in a month's time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
more like leenode

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
people who were too lame to read BitchX.doc in 2004 popping up in my life and i don’t like it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
a lot of clients now just pull your ircname from your gecos field and I've had to gently nudge a few people after the libera move to tell them they have names in their /whois that they might not want publicly shown for eg. work/social/gender reasons

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Fedora Cloud 35 Approved To Use Btrfs By Default

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

while we're at it, another interesting thing from phoronix

Lenovo To Support Configuring ThinkPad BIOS From Within Linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just build OpenFirmware and flash that in place of the original BIOS

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not phoronix for once

NVIDIA 470.42.01 for Linux adds DLSS for Proton, Xwayland, asynchronous reprojection

good news for both wayland and for the freaks that likes using vr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yeah VR on Linux LOL

maybe what Linux needs is something like Wayland plus GNOME plus Nautilus but for VR

then instead of using a command line to like clean up log files or whatever, you can simulatedly shovel simulated poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

and the Ubuntu version will route all your searches through Amazon and also show you ads in your peripheral vision

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if anyone at work seriously suggested using fedora on any of our aws instances I would immediately start planning how to manage them out

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

good for you

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I’m way too tired today to fully express what a terrible idea btrfs is for a cloud instance. anyone who recommends it both has no idea what they’re doing and likes computers way too much to be trusted to touch them responsibly

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
wtf are you talking about, it's vitally important that I have snapshots and cow on the immutable ramdisk I boot ephemeral instances from

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way this is all rather downstream from the fact that using fedora for your cloud images is, at minimum, a really strange choice.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

either way this is all rather downstream from the fact that using fedora for your cloud images is, at minimum, a really strange choice.

indefensible proof of either incompetence or malfeasance

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

since when can you choose the filesystem type with a docker/podman image?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Dell BIOS/UEFI Under Attack From New Vulnerabilities - Use FWUPD For The Latest Updates

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
this feels like a shaggar opinion kinda but i don't know why you'd run anything other than amazon linux in aws, if only from a compliance/security perspective

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nomnom Cookie posted:

indefensible proof of either incompetence or malfeasance

new cryptocurrency sounding promising

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

psiox posted:

this feels like a shaggar opinion kinda but i don't know why you'd run anything other than amazon linux in aws, if only from a compliance/security perspective

people use rhel because they have a bunch of poo poo on-premises with it and a big contract with ibm. aws also hosts the RHUI for you and you can do license included

some dumb bad software doesn’t work without a lot of loving about on rpm distros and works better on deb. but that’s mostly jokey hack nerd poo poo and not grown up software

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

would be interesting to get numbers, but yeah, i kind of expect rhel (and 1:1 centos releases) and ubuntu to if not top the lists, at least be up there. if you are pure day-1 aws diehards it seems fine to do amazon linux, but i figure a lot of cloud users falls into at least one of these three:

1. a startups more comfortable on ubuntu (possibly running ubuntu or at least a debian-derived package collection),
2. a legacy business with data centers already running rhel,
3. savvy giants with plans for how to migrate their stuff (so if aws becomes a problem for any reason they are semi-prepared to push their stuff onto azure, and then likely don't use amazon linux or many aws services outside ec2 and s3)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I once received an appliance that came on an iso. So I guess it uses whatever OS came on that disc, likely CentOS

Although I think they recently started supplying aws images in addition to the iso, so maybe that uses amazon linux. But I doubt it, it's likely just CentOS with cloud-init enabled.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spazmo posted:

wtf are you talking about, it's vitally important that I have snapshots and cow on the immutable ramdisk I boot ephemeral instances from

Wait, did they remove cowsay from debian or something?

:ohdear:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Let it be known that sl will always remain in the list of packages absolutely every Linux box at work installs. I will revert any commit that removes it.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Ive been at a RHEL place for so long now and made/tweaked/repacked so many rpms that it would seem like a pain in the butt to go back to debian.

Plus I cant shake off that feeling of every ubuntu shop ive been at was filled to the celling with PPA repos that were abandoned by the creator immediately and yet the company was still built atop that mess.

At least the vendor supplied rpm repos ive had to deal with have a whiff of professionalism sprinkled on them. granted the authors are generally being paid.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

A real problem I used to have with RHEL was the kernels they shipped didn’t support the latest hardware or some kernel level sys call didnt exist that a userland program would be dependent on.

Or se linux was rough around the edges and vendor software came with instructions to disable it.

But realistically all of that stopped being a problem like five years ago and now RHEL 8 seems as up to date as whatever LTS release of ubuntu is current

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
rhel also drags behind or has dramatically different implementations around a lot of docker/kubernetes primitives, that make it so that ubuntu is the default full fat OS image for both GKE and AWS if their slimmed down container OS’s don’t work.

I’ll also be forever pissed about fedora coreos bullshit.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

people use rhel because they have a bunch of poo poo on-premises with it and a big contract with ibm. aws also hosts the RHUI for you and you can do license included

some dumb bad software doesn’t work without a lot of loving about on rpm distros and works better on deb. but that’s mostly jokey hack nerd poo poo and not grown up software

who cares. Run AWS Linux and put all the apps in a container. The container can run RHEL or Debian or whatever you want as a base.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and then put ubuntu in a container in that container

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i have no joke constructed an environment for a lab that consisted of an openshift cluster running a pod which had xfce, vnc, and docker installed inside it so you could treat it like the desktop vm we were too cheap to provide alongside the cluster.

lmao. lol.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carry on then posted:

i have no joke constructed an environment for a lab that consisted of an openshift cluster running a pod which had xfce, vnc, and docker installed inside it so you could treat it like the desktop vm we were too cheap to provide alongside the cluster.

lmao. lol.

by docker installed inside it do you mean a docker socket file was accessible within the container? if it's what i'm thinking of then that's easy access to host root, which in turn is easy access to kubelet certs, which in turn is easy access to all secrets in the cluster (assuming they aren't stored separately in vault or similar)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

by docker installed inside it do you mean a docker socket file was accessible within the container? if it's what i'm thinking of then that's easy access to host root, which in turn is easy access to kubelet certs, which in turn is easy access to all secrets in the cluster (assuming they aren't stored separately in vault or similar)

one of the containers in the pod was the desktop exposing noVNC, another was the official docker-in-docker image

the cluster is a bone stock one provisioned on-demand from our public cloud for each workshop participant who already has cluster admin for the session anyway since they're all separate

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pipewire 0.3.31 fixes jack detection again

so if you've been annoyed that the sound didn't auto switch when plugging in your headset, you should update

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

who cares. Run AWS Linux and put all the apps in a container. The container can run RHEL or Debian or whatever you want as a base.

i’m just reporting the news man, just delete everything imo