Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Turns out emotionally vulnerable young girls are prime cult bait!

Also the anime really turned up Touka's magical nazism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't remember if it was phrased specifically as "more human than normal humans", but the superiority angle was definitely pushed by Touka in the original

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh yes but it happened later than here (there was no speech scene) and it wasn't quite at blatant.
It's a good change though, it was a bit jarring originally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

Turns out emotionally vulnerable young girls are prime cult bait!

Also the anime really turned up Touka's magical nazism:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Magia Record dub is finished now If anyone was interested. There hasn’t been any further word on a release date for Season 2 yet has there?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

The Magia Record dub is finished now If anyone was interested. There hasn’t been any further word on a release date for Season 2 yet has there?

Not that I've seen. It will exist, that's all we know.

Given Covid, they're probably not in any hurry to finalize a release date.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not that I've seen. It will exist, that's all we know.

Given Covid, they're probably not in any hurry to finalize a release date.

Makes sense, is the Story Mode of the mobile game still being updated (in Japan or the west)?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, is the Story Mode of the mobile game still being updated (in Japan or the west)?

Main story arc 1 from the game, which is what the anime covers (across both cours), is finished in JP and almost finished in NA.

Japan has started an arc 2, so in theory there would be enough content to have more than 2 seasons worth of anime, although I’m not sure how likely that would actually be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In both, yeah. The anime ended at chapter 6 of part 1. The storys up to, i believe, chapter 2 of part 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

Main story arc 1 from the game, which is what the anime covers (across both cours), is finished in JP and almost finished in NA.

Japan has started an arc 2, so in theory there would be enough content to have more than 2 seasons worth of anime, although I’m not sure how likely that would actually be.

Have they said anything in regards to how long the main story of the game is supposed to be? Because yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if we wound up getting a season 3 or 4 out of this.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
not that I know of, but it's a mobage so I would assume it's just "we'll continue making content until the game stops being profitable"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mobage stories don't run forever even in successful games, they'll end one story and start a new one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

not that I know of, but it's a mobage so I would assume it's just "we'll continue making content until the game stops being profitable"

Fair, though whether the same could be said for the anime remains to be seen. Like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if we wind up getting 3-4 seasons out of this at least.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, I assume everyone has an all-Madoka playlist on Spotify like I do, so don't be like me and forget to put Gomakashi and Alethea on there, now that they're out.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On that note, I translated the lyrics to Gomakashi, the OP. I can't be bothered cutting a Youtube video or whatever, so here's a Google Doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18VjsUCB_n3BhWL5fjUCzuzNHoNA5a66TGbn9VCo-mv4

I assume other translations are available, but this is my interpretation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 2 begins this summer:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-summer/.173784

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Season 2 starts on July 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeVyUINxB0

Also they're splitting the remaining parts of main story arc 1 into two separate seasons, the "Final Season" will air late this year. (It sounds like it will be two short seasons rather than a full 12-13 eps for each?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/magireco/status/1408380449831981057

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to hear, I wonder if they still plan on dubbing the second half considering there’s no longer a game to promote in the west.

I’m curious if they’ll tackle some of the other arcs in the future though (the game/story is still ongoing in Japan right?) or just end things here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Unconventional schedule, huh. Hope the production isn't too much of a mess..........

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Arc 2 is up to 6 chapters and is still ongoing in the JP game (for comparison arc 1 was 10 chapters), so there is more content they could adapt if the anime does well enough, but I'd guess they stop after these announced seasons. Arc 1 has a very clear ending, so it wouldn't be a problem for them to end with that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Depends on how well the anime does I guess. Plus, there is a 4th Madoka movie coming out at some point as well so you never know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder to everyone that the series returns this Saturday

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Today is the day!

Also just fyi, the streaming setup in the west is the same as S1 - funimation, crunchyroll, hidive, with crunchyroll and hidive on the 1 week delay.

I have not seen any info on whether or not funimation will be doing a dub this time around, and the english anime site only lists a sub (for now?) https://magiarecord-animeusa.com/streaming/.

e: I updated the OP with some s2 info, and also some notes about the state of the game. For anyone interested in trying the game, note that it's JP only now, but there is a partial translation patch available for the android version of the JP game - it should contain all of the official translations we got from the NA version, plus ongoing fan-translation for everything else. See the links in the OP for more info.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 31, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm curious if this season is going to seem tangibly different due to the fact that it has an actual writer this time, instead of just letting the Inu Curry gang do everything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anybody know when the first episode is supposed to drop (I assume sometime later this afternoon/evening)?

Also how long is this season again? I think it was mentioned earlier they were splitting it into two parts with the second half coming later in the year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 31, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

Anybody know when the first episode is supposed to drop (I assume sometime later this afternoon/evening)?

Also how long is this season again? I think it was mentioned earlier they were splitting it into two parts with the second half coming later in the year.

Nevermind, the first episode is out now

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like it when the show remembers that Madoka and Sayaka are actually by far the closest of the OG 5 Magical Girls when you factor out Time Travel Bullshit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like it when the show remembers that Madoka and Sayaka are actually by far the closest of the OG 5 Magical Girls when you factor out Time Travel Bullshit.

Wait, I haven’t seen the episode myself yet but does that imply that Madoka herself makes an appearance here?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Wait, I haven’t seen the episode myself yet but does that imply that Madoka herself makes an appearance here?

Maybe

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sweet, looking forward to it then

As mentioned a little ways above it seems like this season will be split into two halves with the second part coming later this year. Not sure what that means in terms of episode count though (maybe 6 episodes per part?)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Sweet, looking forward to it then

As mentioned a little ways above it seems like this season will be split into two halves with the second part coming later this year. Not sure what that means in terms of episode count though (maybe 6 episodes per part?)

I'm not a hundred percent sure about part two, but this part is listed as being 8 eps fwiw.

Sounds like the production schedule over at SHAFT is kind of a nightmare, unfortunately.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they did a similar thing with last encore where they branded it like it was its own thing when they were really just finishing up a 1cour. more power to them because an anime studio getting time for its craft is the ideal.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
also cute first ep. very full of "she said the line!" and setting/shot composition from the og series (and some callbacks to movie-original content even)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

She does indeed (along with Homura for that matter, thereby completing the set). In fact, this whole episode is focused on the OG cast.

Just to confirm though, Magia Record is supposed to purely be an AU story right? Also was the focus of today’s episode in the game or just something the anime added in?

Anyway good start regardless, I wonder if the anime version will stop at the end of the first story arc or continue on afterwards (the mobile game is still going in Japan despite being cancelled in the west for some reason)

Related, there hasn’t been any further word on the fourth Madoka movie beyond the fact that it’s happening at some point has there? I am sort of curious how they plan to continue from where Rebellion left off though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 31, 2021

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I dunno what any of this has to do with Magia Record's story to this point but I don't care because seeing how great that episode was just makes me want to see how movie 4 turns out even more :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I dunno what any of this has to do with Magia Record's story to this point but I don't care because seeing how great that episode was just makes me want to see how movie 4 turns out even more :allears:

Yeah, apart from a couple brief sections this was literally just a Madoka Magica episode and I have no problem at all with that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Good start to the season

Larryb posted:

Just to confirm though, Magia Record is supposed to purely be an AU story right? Also was the focus of today’s episode in the game or just something the anime added in?

It's strictly an alternate universe yeah. And the stuff from this episode is from the game, but the anime has changed around some of the timing.

(minor game stuff) The major OG5 related plot beats (including the fallout in this ep from learning the truth about magical girls) have been consistent between the game and anime. The main difference was that during season 1's chapters in the game, the rest of the OG5 all show up in Kamihama looking for Mami after she disappears.

quote:

Related, there hasn’t been any further word on the fourth Madoka movie beyond the fact that it’s happening at some point has there? I am sort of curious how they plan to continue from where Rebellion left off though.

Don't think there's been anything since the announcement that it was happening

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, were any of the OG5 playable units in the mobile game?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's a Madoka gacha game, so yeah they all are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, were any of the OG5 playable units in the mobile game?
I think they were all released within a couple of months save for Sayaka, who took half a year or something ridiculous