Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't think it comes off as ugly on purpose as much as it comes off as trying to make look more explicitly malicious than the old ones. That it doesn't have a pilot and the skeletal design make it feel more organic than a robot mech. Its just let down by how lovely the movie is around it. Something like it being a bioorganic mech built off the Godzilla bones from 2014's intro with the brain of Ghidorah would have worked while also embracing a very particular Godzilla movie stupid instead of just normal, dull stupid. Building a Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla movie with that plot could have been cool instead of ramming Mechagodzilla into a Godzilla vs Kong movie.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked the design. It looked like a giant terminator

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Shiroc posted:

I finally took a picture of my set of mini vinyl Godzilla and Friends

These are adorable :3

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Godzilla: Singular Point just ended in Japan, reminder that the Netflix global release date is June 24 :toot:

E: also a reminder that the screenwriter Toh EnJoe has a degree in physics and a PhD in mathematics and is a multi award-winning speculative fiction writer and instead of shying away from some of the goofier aspects of Godzilla lore he went "gently caress it, we're going all in on that weird poo poo"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 17, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah it's basically "What if Shin Godzilla embraced a lot of the Showa era vibes". It's super, super good.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah it's basically "What if Shin Godzilla embraced a lot of the Showa era vibes". It's super, super good.

God drat I am SO PUMPED.
:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just be aware that it is kind of a slow burn and at times challenges the viewer on their perceptions of “traditional” Godzilla films.

This is one of the reasons that it is so good though IMO

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it known if the US release will be a weekly or all in one drop?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

They haven’t said at all but I hope it’s weekly because there is a lot of suspense in the series and I felt that the wait really made for some great anticipation and speculating. It will also make for some fun talk here, IMO.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I've been watching it and so far my only real complaint is that it sepnds too long on the science behind the sci-fi stuff and the new segments and not enough on monster plot and/or the main characters interacting. Though that will hopefully be resolved as the plot picks up, only on episode 3.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Opinions posted:

I've been watching it and so far my only real complaint is that it sepnds too long on the science behind the sci-fi stuff and the new segments and not enough on monster plot and/or the main characters interacting. Though that will hopefully be resolved as the plot picks up, only on episode 3.

Its a slow burn. Kojima said it best here:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1400720759870214145

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just be aware that it is kind of a slow burn and at times challenges the viewer on their perceptions of “traditional” Godzilla films.

This is one of the reasons that it is so good though IMO

I mean, I feel like Shin Godzilla is a slow burn and I absolutely adore that movie. It's easily in my top five of all time. So yeah, everything I'm hearing is making me believe this is going to be amazing.

I'm a bit of a fan of this stuff too. There's something about the Japanese way of breaking down supernatural scenarios scientific and logical packages and dealing with it that way. Shin Godzilla did it perfectly (and from a political perspective) and Death Note comes to mind too. The world is all the same, and the way it's dealt with is kinda clinical and calculated. Magical realism I think maybe?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wasn't sure about getting him but I absolutely love the GvK Monsterarts Goji

The blue parts are metallic paint and very shiny. Very different from my other blue fin ones.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NGL that does look pretty good. I still haven’t even unboxed my KOM King Gidorah. It’s just so goddamned big.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I almost bought the Ghidorah but I skipped it due to the size. The Biollante that I eventually got probably takes of less actual volume of space while still being huge. Those loving wings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Godzilla vs. Kong 4k: 7K7NE5U9K1UHV5M1(Movies Anywhere)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any bonuses on the 4k that are compelling? I hadn't realized it was out until I saw it in a Target earlier in the week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shiroc posted:

Are there any bonuses on the 4k that are compelling? I hadn't realized it was out until I saw it in a Target earlier in the week.

There's a commentary track with Wingard and also like 10 featurettes but I haven't checked any of those out to see if they're worth watching.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

There's a commentary track with Wingard and also like 10 featurettes but I haven't checked any of those out to see if they're worth watching.

- Director's Commentary
- 2 godzilla focused clips/commentary
- 4 kong focused clips/commentary
- 1 mecha g clip/commentary
- 3 main battles clips / commentary

Each clip is 5-10 minutes.

This is all I can see on iTunes, anyways. Not sure if the physical copy has anything extra.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Monster Seafood Wars.

I gotta be honest, I was ready to write it off after the first half hour or so. It's pretty dull, and the limits of the budget are very clear. They had the monster suits which were pretty decently made, and a little set for them, and that was the extent of the special effects budget. We are told in dialogue that the government attacked the monsters with missiles and helicopters to no effect, but are not shown any of it. And for some reason a ton of information is give through interview segments, like from a news story made some time after the events of the film. And not just plot stuff they couldn't afford to film like the helicopter attack, but character stuff that is clearly shown through character interaction, and even exposition that would've worked better just delivered by a character in a scene.

But the movie won me back with the middle act, which is entirely about eating the monster flesh that got cut off when the monsters fought each other. It becomes a cultural sensation, everybody wants to eat these delicious monsters! I really enjoyed that part of the movie. It even kind of justifies all the interviews in the first part because the format of the narrative intercut with sections of TV continues on, but now all the TV stuff is what I assume are Japanese food celebrities or parodies of Japanese food celebrities going to restaurants and eating dishes made with monster meat and talking about how great it is.

The final act is the big operation to defeat the monsters, and this isn't as fun or entertaining as the middle part, but it's less dull than the first part, and I liked the Jumbo Chef.

Also, I gotta give props to the movie for the lighting. Usually small budget moves don't have great lighting, but Monster Seafood Wars has really good lighting throughout the entire movie. It's always appropriate for the location, even! That really helps make the movie not look as low budget as it was.

So overall I gotta say Monster Seafood Wars averages out to OK.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought a box set of every Japanese Godzilla movie poster, from the original through King of the Monsters, including the three anime movies and extremely unexpectedly, the 1997 American one. The ones for the original and Astro monster are oversized and folded though, which is disappointing because they have obvious creases and might not look nice framed. I really wanted to do the original.

I also got these

They're finger puppets

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

SPOTTED: Godzilla: Singular Point on Netflix (U.S.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Oh yeah, it's the 24th!!

A good day IMO - Drag Race All Stars 6 is today too!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Weekly or did they throw the entire season

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Weekly or did they throw the entire season

Dropped the entire season :sigh:

I was hoping they would do weekly as it would be more fun talking about it that way.

Protip: there is an important after credits scene on the final episode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m finishing castlevania during runs so I’ll probably start this next week and do 1 every other day.

Please no spoilers immediately!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress yeah it's on Netflix and they did the right thing by dropping the entire season.

Gonna watch it today after I finish these last two episodes of Gundam Wing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I highly recommend watching subbed because it seems as usual they change things that I find a bit odd.

The Japanese cast is also simply better at acting as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Only two episodes in so far and it kinda rules? I have no idea what it's doing but there's this funky aesthetic to it all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also on Godzilla Singular Point: EPISODE 13 HAS AN EXTRA SCENE AFTER THE CREDITS THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR INTERESTS.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some DVD/Blu-Ray goodies

The art for this series has been absolutely beautiful

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad it's getting a bluray release. Am getting really fed up with paying for 4k streaming and getting a screen full of compression artifacts whenever there's lots of greens and reds on screen.

Also saw this piece of fan artwork on Twitter:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Plowing through Singular Point with my 10 year old since he has a weekly Godzilla "class" on Out School tomorrow. We are now through the first six episodes, that's two hours and twenty four minutes and no loving Godzilla yet. Literally an entire movie worth of content and no Godzilla.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah it's basically "What if Shin Godzilla embraced a lot of the Showa era vibes".

My child G-scholar agreed with this. Though for him it's not a good thing.

I've been watching it and so far my only real complaint is that it sepnds too long on the science behind the sci-fi stuff

Oh my god with the non-stop goofy science exposition.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i like the character designs in Singular Point, and I respect its inclusion of Jet Jaguar, but it's exactly what you'd expect a show written by a physics professor to be and overall that's not a positive lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm only three episodes in and I really like it. The characters are fantastic, the Jet Jaguar vs mini-Rodan fight owned, I love how it shows society reacting to and quickly accepting the existence of the Rodans. I'm not only interested in the mystery, but super deliberate pace and amount of groundwork they've been laying makes me assume it will have a satisfactory conclusion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i like the character designs in Singular Point, and I respect its inclusion of Jet Jaguar, but it's exactly what you'd expect a show written by a physics professor to be and overall that's not a positive lol

well i really really liked Primer so i'd probably like this if its not hyperbole

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Having just marathoned through Singular Point, I have the same opinion of it as I had for Final Wars and KOTM and Shin Godzilla, which is "I wouldn't want every Godzilla thing to be like this and do what it does, but I'm glad they did it at least this time"

It's VERY heavy on the high concept :techno: to the point I was losing the thread of things for a bit, but it was certainly an interesting examination of the idea of "Godzilla shouldn't be able to physically exist, so what are the implications of it existing regardless?" And the science stuff never got in the way of the characters being interesting or the monsters being cool.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How is the original Rodan movie? I keep hanging onto my HBO Max sub with the intent to watch it but I never get around to it and I want to cancel to switch to Netflix for the various Godzilla animes and other stuff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Rodan is a classic that really set the template for much of the Showa series in terms of tone and presentation.