Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Adam Page was a pretty generic heel when he first joined Bullet Club and started doing the "Hangman" gimmick. Even when the Elite eventually turned babyface he was still just kinda there, and it wasn't until the Anxious Millennial Cowboy thing that he really took off.

E: When looking this up I'm shocked that Page is only 29 years old, dude spent forever in ROH not really doing anything.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i miss his lovely trucker hat

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Adam Page was a pretty generic heel when he first joined Bullet Club and started doing the "Hangman" gimmick. Even when the Elite eventually turned babyface he was still just kinda there, and it wasn't until the Anxious Millennial Cowboy thing that he really took off.

E: When looking this up I'm shocked that Page is only 29 years old, dude spent forever in ROH not really doing anything.

He got a bit of buzz from the G1 he was in right before the Elite left to form AEW

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick Steiner was amazing as misguided heel simpleton that people started to like because he clotheslined people's heads off.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is Danhausen actually good at wrestling or is he just an amusing personality? I enjoy whenever he pops up somewhere doing his schtick but have never seen a matchhausen

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's pretty good. not amazing but could have great matches with great wrestlers. i personally feel like he is a young adam sandler type of character however, and can easily hear in my mind the "oooo. danhausen. oogity boogity danhauuuuuuusen" type of poo poo in that voice. watch out

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Considering how much Vince McMahon hates Wrasslin, why are guys like Michael Hayes and Jerry Lawler seemingly untouchable in WWE? Even Ric Flair gets godlike treatment, despite spending the majority of his career wrestling in "the south" and wrestling a style that is anathema to McMahon.

Does Vince secretly love wrestling?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Considering how much Vince McMahon hates Wrasslin, why are guys like Michael Hayes and Jerry Lawler seemingly untouchable in WWE? Even Ric Flair gets godlike treatment, despite spending the majority of his career wrestling in "the south" and wrestling a style that is anathema to McMahon.

Who knows, but they're all people who've stood up to Vince in the past.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

a cyborg mug posted:

Is Danhausen actually good at wrestling or is he just an amusing personality? I enjoy whenever he pops up somewhere doing his schtick but have never seen a matchhausen
When he decides to be? Yes. He was a traditional workrate kickpads guy as Donovan Danhausen and he's quite good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think he even said in that podcast he did with Conan O'Brien that he developed the Danhausen gimmick because he realised being 'good wrestler in kickpads and plain tights' wasn't going to get him booked beyond a certain level because while he was good, he wasn't, like, a Bryan Danielson level good to the point where that can be his calling card.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Considering how much Vince McMahon hates Wrasslin, why are guys like Michael Hayes and Jerry Lawler seemingly untouchable in WWE?
All three are united by their staunch love of racism.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He likes wrestling and loves racists, pedophiles and predators.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

He likes wrestling and loves racists, pedophiles and predators.

No need to repeat yourself three times

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

I think he even said in that podcast he did with Conan O'Brien that he developed the Danhausen gimmick because he realised being 'good wrestler in kickpads and plain tights' wasn't going to get him booked beyond a certain level because while he was good, he wasn't, like, a Bryan Danielson level good to the point where that can be his calling card.
Yup!

Conan: "Are you a good wrestler? Are you a good athlete?"

Donovan: "Yeah, but that doesn't matter! No one cared when I was just a good wrestler. They cared once I switched and put on makeup and started acting goofy and doing Simpsons references in the middle of matches."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Like Paul E. Dangerously said, Vince eats, sleeps, breathes, shits, and fucks competition.

Vince "hates wrestling" in the sense that he only cares about profit. So he doesn't give a poo poo about wrestling as an artistic medium, and he disdains the older, Southern/Midwestern, downwardly mobile white demographic associated with wrestling. Not because he personally hates them, but because tying yourself to a shrinking, poorer demographic is suicide for someone who wants to make billions of dollars.

(Through this lens, his doomed attempt to expand into football seems more rational. His doomed attempt to expand into bodybuilding and make it a bigger sport, not so much.)

Vince didn't outcompete the regional promoters because he's a fundamentally different type of businessman; he was smarter, saw the bigger picture, and had a lot of advantages. He's the carniest motherfucker out there. So as WWE becomes more mainstream and corporate, he needs people around who understand that nepotism, racism, sexism, drug abuse, physical bullying, and sexual violence are just the way the wrestling business is run, always has been, always will be as long as Vince and his ilk are in charge of it.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
I haven't watched WWE on purpose in a while- Who are Ever Rise/3.0 and why should I want to see them work in a better company?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I haven't watched WWE on purpose in a while- Who are Ever Rise/3.0 and why should I want to see them work in a better company?

Great babyfaces, pretty funny when required, good wrestlers

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lazy like a Fox posted:

They're a tag team that came out of the same Montreal indie scene as Kevin Steen/El Generico and the SSB/Dark Order guys and then spent a long time in Chikara. They got hired by WWE in 2019 when they were on their "sign everyone so AEW can't have them" jag, and were basically jobbers, but jobbers who were working hard to find a hook/reason to get on TV.

From everything I've seen they are a good (not great) tag team, but they work hard and from all accounts from everyone that worked with them cool/nice people, which I think is the biggest reason everyone wants to see them work in another company.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like that Alvarez has spent minutes and minutes minutes recently on whether or not Ever-Rise are actually good and then they just get up and released.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's a fantastic promo they did years ago (15?! Good God...) when preparing for the future Evil Uno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAo82Crgyc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

2.0/3.0 promos were right there with Kingston & Sweeney for most entertaining promo in Chikara and I will always have a fondness for them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ever Rise suck but I hope someone signs the Badd Boys.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

hell yeah.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
yes someone plz sign the bollywood boyz

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

2.0/3.0/Ever-Rise are the kind of utility tag team that would benefit any promotion. (Think John Silver/Alex Reynolds before they broke out.) With how much experience they have, I'd be shocked if AEW didn't try to snatch them up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm wondering if the Bollywood Boyz might go back home for a stint first, because ECCW is retweeting pretty much any mention of them since the news hit. Though I don't think they're doing shows again yet.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

sticklefifer posted:

I'm wondering if the Bollywood Boyz might go back home for a stint first, because ECCW is retweeting pretty much any mention of them since the news hit. Though I don't think they're doing shows again yet.

Voros Twins vs Bollywood Boyz, book it canadian booker.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the Bollywood boyz are gonna get beat up by the two kingdom hearts cosplay dorks

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

They'll have to stop using gay slurs in promos but otherwise yeah I'm all for it.

Gaz-L posted:

This is also why Orange Cassidy started doing his lazy/hungover routine.

bartok
May 10, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

This is also why Orange Cassidy started doing his lazy/hungover routine.

Not too familiar with Orange Cassidy before AEW but did his gimmick start off as Paul Rudd's character from Wet Hot American Summer as a pro wrestler?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bartok posted:

Not too familiar with Orange Cassidy before AEW but did his gimmick start off as Paul Rudd's character from Wet Hot American Summer as a pro wrestler?

https://youtu.be/thVHAHJ1Mig

The start of this (very good) documentary shows Create-a-Wrestler Orange Cassidy in long tights.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I just saw this idea for Hangman's eventual challenge against Kenny and it got me wondering:

Has there ever been a contract signing segment where the challenger is reluctant to sign the contract and has to be convinced to do it?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
is tna and/or roh the biggest promotion that homicide has wrestled for?

why hasn't he hit aew yet?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

is tna and/or roh the biggest promotion that homicide has wrestled for?

why hasn't he hit aew yet?

He is currently working for ROH and I believe he is a single dad, might have something to do with it

He and Eddie Kingston are quite close, though, it could happen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

homicide has been washed for like at least 3-4 years

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is there a consensus on if the WCW RoboCop was actually Peter Weller?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

is there a consensus on if the WCW RoboCop was actually Peter Weller?
It was stunt double Russell Towery there and at other non-movie appearances in that era.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Super No Vacancy posted:

homicide has been washed for like at least 3-4 years

drat, really?

i havent kept up on him for like 10-15 years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

It was stunt double Russell Towery there and at other non-movie appearances in that era.

Really, because I'd heard the suit had been custom-built to fit Weller (to the point that when they re-cast the role in 3 they had to do a bunch of weird alterations to make it fit Robert Burke and the guy still ended up with back trouble.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Why was Badd Blood called Badd Blood and not Bad Blood?