Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rabbit update: The nest is empty so hopefully they've found somewhere new to live. One of them was hanging around in my garden but I haven't seen any of the others.

I think he thought he was being very sneaky or something because he didn't seem to give a poo poo that I was weeding all of three feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My queen of the night cactus is just going nuts with blooms. All four opened up at the same time last night - I thought I had another day or two and was out being social last night but thankfully checked on it before drunkenly falling asleep.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

skylined! posted:

My queen of the night cactus is just going nuts with blooms. All four opened up at the same time last night - I thought I had another day or two and was out being social last night but thankfully checked on it before drunkenly falling asleep.

:swoon:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

Are they all facing the sun?

I got my first tiny little flower coming on my Adromischus. Slightly out of focus photo:

Also finally got around to commissioning someone to make some copper trays for my succulent shelf things. I had them put little drains on them so that I wouldn't have to move poo poo to get rid of excess water. Works better than I thought but holy gently caress has the price of brass 1/4" fittings gone crazy. Home depot wants like 9$ for a compression fit T.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wallet posted:

Are they all facing the sun?

Yep - facing an East window that gets good sun through it until about 5p.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Every time I water my plants a mess of baby rabbits bolt out of my shrubs now. Since I enjoy spamming myself in this here horticulture thread, have some pictures of plant things:

Euphorbia ×martinii and characias being flower buddies.

Lavender trying to eat the Cheilanthes lanosa I put in earlier this year

Some Aquilegia

Lilium × in the shade of some much taller lancifolium

Allium amethystinum about to open

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Wallet posted:

Some Aquilegia

Beautiful!

I am so glad you posted this! I had some Aquilegia back in 2018 and have been looking for it again, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called and I thought better of trying to explain it to someone at the nursery.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Wallet your poo poo looks great bro, incredible set up. That titty cactus looking powerful af

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Wallet your poo poo looks great bro, incredible set up. That titty cactus looking powerful af

It took forever to root in (they mostly get imported with basically no roots and then people spend the minimum amount of time rooting them before they sell them on) but he finally got there a couple of months ago and now he's pumping out shiny new titties like there's no tomorrow.

Here he is when I first potted him, for comparison:

Edit: Bonus Iris I've waited a year to see flower for the first time this morning. She's so pretty :3:

candystarlight posted:

I am so glad you posted this! I had some Aquilegia back in 2018 and have been looking for it again, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called and I thought better of trying to explain it to someone at the nursery.

Happy to help you find them again! I love the shape of their flowers.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 22, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want to get a couple of very large plastic pots for the patio to grow some small trees (or treeish things) that can provide some shade. It doesn't necessarily need to be shade for people -- I just want to keep more sunlight off of the hot stones during the day. What are some cold-hardy things that might be good for that in 8b? Definitely needs to be able to withstand high heat and full sun and do ok in a pot.

e: wondering if some sort of palm might be best. Anything lush might be too much maintenance with the heat & sun combo.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 24, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want to get a couple of very large plastic pots for the patio to grow some small trees (or treeish things) that can provide some shade. It doesn't necessarily need to be shade for people -- I just want to keep more sunlight off of the hot stones during the day. What are some cold-hardy things that might be good for that in 8b? Definitely needs to be able to withstand high heat and full sun and do ok in a pot.

The general rule of thumb for growing plants in containers as far as cold-hardiness goes is to take off two zones because the soil in a pot is obviously going to be less insulated, so you probably want to look something at least hardy to zone 6b.

Personally I might look at fruit trees. Meyer lemon (Citrus ×meyeri) should handle the cold just fine and should love the sun, there are some fig (Ficus carica) varieties that also are cool with the cold. Given it's going to be in a container even if you plant something relatively drought tolerant you're going to have to see to watering it.

You could also just go shopping for full sun trees for zone 6b and pick something you like. There are some other folks that post in here that know trees much better than I do and might have some better ideas.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 25, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Would citrus trees really be cold hardy down to ~freezing in a pot?? I have a potted key lime tree actually, but I treat it as a tropical along with my philodendrons, monstera, hibiscus, and bay laurel. I leave the trifoliate orange outside without issue though. Fig is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I did exactly that experiment and left a couple lemons in pots outside this winter during a cold snap (-8c / 17f)

I only lost one (the tiniest). The bigger ones lost all their leaves and various amounts of stem, but are all coming back no problem. So worst case scenario is you've got redo all their shaping and pruning, like on this guy who's doing a huge double leader thing now. Those two giant new stems are all brand new growth in the last ~3 months, post-cold.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

e: wondering if some sort of palm might be best. Anything lush might be too much maintenance with the heat & sun combo.

Depending on the cultivar, Japanese maples or even Vine maples will fit this perfectly. I live in 8b myself, have several in pots and in the ground and have a mix of full sun and shaded ones.

The difficult thing here is that there are a bajillion cultivars, and no nursery is going to have a full selection at all times.

How hot are we talking about here?
What parts of the day will have sun?
How large are the pots?
How tall do you want these trees to get?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Would citrus trees really be cold hardy down to ~freezing in a pot?? I have a potted key lime tree actually, but I treat it as a tropical along with my philodendrons, monstera, hibiscus, and bay laurel. I leave the trifoliate orange outside without issue though. Fig is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

I’ve always heard that containered citrus trees in my area (New England) do best/survive by being brought indoors every winter

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Depending on the cultivar, Japanese maples or even Vine maples will fit this perfectly. I live in 8b myself, have several in pots and in the ground and have a mix of full sun and shaded ones.

The difficult thing here is that there are a bajillion cultivars, and no nursery is going to have a full selection at all times.

How hot are we talking about here?
What parts of the day will have sun?
How large are the pots?
How tall do you want these trees to get?

Potentially 100F during midday full-sun on a hot stone patio. The main reason I'm looking into this is because I've found that shading the patio itself is a good way to moderate the hot conditions for everything else (I've added an umbrella and several in-ground trees to one side that have helped a lot.). I'm thinking of a pretty huge pot because small pots dry out really quickly in these conditions.

The reason I'm insisting on cold hardiness is that I already have too many plants that have to come in during the winter, and I want something with less maintenance.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Honestly I think you'll be much better served by some cute patio sails. More and better shade with less maintenance. Also instant, because you don't have to wait for trees to grow. And you can unhook and fold them up for easy storage during storms/winter.

Furthermore, even though Japanese maples are great options for pots, they're pretty slow growers (or otherwise you're out $$$$ for a large specimen tree) and they probably wouldn't do well with 100F in full sun. But they'd probably be quite happy under a patio sail and could provide lovely garden/patio decor and a bit of supplemental shade.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve always heard that containered citrus trees in my area (New England) do best/survive by being brought indoors every winter

They might be marginal in a container in 8b; I don't live there so I could definitely be wrong, I just know some folks that have them down south. Cold hardy fig varieties definitely do fine in 6 in the ground.

I think you'd have to be careful with japanese maples. There are some varieties that the internet claims will grow up to 9 but I think the roots might get cooked if they're in a pot in full sun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Honestly I think you'll be much better served by some cute patio sails. More and better shade with less maintenance. Also instant, because you don't have to wait for trees to grow. And you can unhook and fold them up for easy storage during storms/winter.

Furthermore, even though Japanese maples are great options for pots, they're pretty slow growers (or otherwise you're out $$$$ for a large specimen tree) and they probably wouldn't do well with 100F in full sun. But they'd probably be quite happy under a patio sail and could provide lovely garden/patio decor and a bit of supplemental shade.

That’s why smart bonsai dudes put their acers in the ground for 5-10 years to make their trunks fatten up quick.

But if you want a sleeker/daintier profile then growing in a container is more than adequate.

On the topic of heat and sun, a bunch of my acers got pretty severe leaf blast after some unseasonably hot days in May/early June and lost all/most of their leaves. What you do in that case is just pluck/clip all of the dead leaves off, prune any dried out branch tips, and then let the plant send out a second flush of leaf growth which should take it into like mid-July (also get the plant out of the hot summer sun and into some shadier terrain, obvi). My burn victims aren’t looking any worse for wear at this moment since they’ve had about a week or two to start throwing out new foliage.

A lot of bonsai dudes will also fully defoliate their maples in midsummer regardless of whether they’re burned or not in order to do branch and brush/broom refinement/trimming after the big spring flush and to get the second flush to come in smaller than the first. If you’re showing a tree with fall colors and you want the leaves to be small come Sept/October that’s how you do it.

WRT shade, I’d look at shade cloth awnings and sails. I’m planning to buy some and mount them in a few weeks, but they’re not super pricey. I’m looking to spend between 60-100 bucks to cover a large swath of my patio but you could get away with spending under $40 if all you want to cover is like a 6’ x 12’ patch to put a bunch of small trees under.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

Sails are a good idea. I've actually thought about them and gotten to the point of measuring and finding anchor points, but this is a crappy rental house, so everything's falling apart back there. The side of the patio that I'm looking at doesn't really have a good way to put one up.

Windmill palms look like they might be a good option. They're supposedly cold hardy down to about 0F and obviously handle heat fine, and the leaves look like they'd offer some decent shade.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Windmill palms look like they might be a good option. They're supposedly cold hardy down to about 0F and obviously handle heat fine, and the leaves look like they'd offer some decent shade.

I'm in Oregon and our palm tree is one of the only sources of shade in our yard. It's nice but I think they're pretty slow growing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

At least over here the dome hespot has decided to mark all of the shrubs/trees they have left and haven't managed to kill 50% off now if you're still looking for bonsai material. Picked up a ~7 gallon Cornus sericea for ten whole dollars.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

At least over here the dome hespot has decided to mark all of the shrubs/trees they have left and haven't managed to kill 50% off now if you're still looking for bonsai material. Picked up a ~7 gallon Cornus sericea for ten whole dollars.

No thanks, I dropped $150 and grabbed a bunch of half price azaleas, a laceleaf maple, some variegated schefflera and a massive mugo that was somehow only $25 there two weeks ago and then I totaled my car and had to replace it

plus I got way more plants than I can really handle now without a bunch of them losing their poo poo in the heat

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

plus I got way more plants than I can really handle now without a bunch of them losing their poo poo in the heat

Yeah, I usually try not to get any new plants once it's really hot unless they're deep discounted because of how brutal the sun can be. Most of the stuff I've put in late this year is doing fine but a few things perpetually look like I've been abusing them even if I watered them hours ago :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah, a sail, awning or maybe offset umbrella is going to be a lot more practical, but I've had a lot of luck keeping away leaf scorch if I'm watering pots every day. I'm 8b in the PNW, but I'm inland a bit, so the weather is always more extreme. I have several of these planted in full sun in the ground and in pots and the only time I had leaf scorch was when I forgot to water one of the pots during a heat wave. This weekend is going to be a hell of a test though.

Vine maples are cheap as hell and grow a lot faster, but at least at my local nursery I've had a lot of luck finding named japanese maple cultivars that are 4-5' tall at the 0.75/1 gallon price (so $30ish) or half that for an open pollinated seedling. In fact I got a Radiant that was nearly 6' tall several weeks ago.

But yeah, if you go with some sort of artificial cover, you can just pick and choose which plants you want and they'll look loving awesome with minimal effort.

Ok Comboomer posted:

That’s why smart bonsai dudes put their acers in the ground for 5-10 years to make their trunks fatten up quick.

But if you want a sleeker/daintier profile then growing in a container is more than adequate.

On the topic of heat and sun, a bunch of my acers got pretty severe leaf blast after some unseasonably hot days in May/early June and lost all/most of their leaves. What you do in that case is just pluck/clip all of the dead leaves off, prune any dried out branch tips, and then let the plant send out a second flush of leaf growth which should take it into like mid-July (also get the plant out of the hot summer sun and into some shadier terrain, obvi). My burn victims aren’t looking any worse for wear at this moment since they’ve had about a week or two to start throwing out new foliage.

A lot of bonsai dudes will also fully defoliate their maples in midsummer regardless of whether they’re burned or not in order to do branch and brush/broom refinement/trimming after the big spring flush and to get the second flush to come in smaller than the first. If you’re showing a tree with fall colors and you want the leaves to be small come Sept/October that’s how you do it.

WRT shade, I’d look at shade cloth awnings and sails. I’m planning to buy some and mount them in a few weeks, but they’re not super pricey. I’m looking to spend between 60-100 bucks to cover a large swath of my patio but you could get away with spending under $40 if all you want to cover is like a 6’ x 12’ patch to put a bunch of small trees under.

So do you do a second fertilization for the second flush or to build truck/branch thickness in the summerish months? Or just stick with a late winter/early spring feeding?

Also I have a Maiku Jaku (Dancing Peacock or Acontifolium) arriving at the house tomorrow and I can't loving wait. I've been looking for one for a while now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, a sail, awning or maybe offset umbrella is going to be a lot more practical, but I've had a lot of luck keeping away leaf scorch if I'm watering pots every day. I'm 8b in the PNW, but I'm inland a bit, so the weather is always more extreme. I have several of these planted in full sun in the ground and in pots and the only time I had leaf scorch was when I forgot to water one of the pots during a heat wave. This weekend is going to be a hell of a test though.

Vine maples are cheap as hell and grow a lot faster, but at least at my local nursery I've had a lot of luck finding named japanese maple cultivars that are 4-5' tall at the 0.75/1 gallon price (so $30ish) or half that for an open pollinated seedling. In fact I got a Radiant that was nearly 6' tall several weeks ago.

But yeah, if you go with some sort of artificial cover, you can just pick and choose which plants you want and they'll look loving awesome with minimal effort.

So do you do a second fertilization for the second flush or to build truck/branch thickness in the summerish months? Or just stick with a late winter/early spring feeding?

Also I have a Maiku Jaku (Dancing Peacock or Acontifolium) arriving at the house tomorrow and I can't loving wait. I've been looking for one for a while now.

:swoon:

I’m overdue for a midsummer feeding, frankly. A lot of people will do an early spring and then a summer, regardless of whether they defoliate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Re patio plants:

Consider jujubes. They’re quite tough against heat, cold, drought. They can grow pretty big and fruit well in pots. They naturally have something of a columnar habit that might work well for you.

In fifteen-litre pots from the nursery, they can get well over two metres in height while holding a dozen, maybe two dozen fruits

I’m biased toward fruiting plants, but these are some top-tier trees. The one thing I’ll knock them for is leafing out late and dropping leaves early. It’s part of what makes them tough, but it annoys me that they waste perfectly good growing days in my climate. You may consider it an advantage if you want early spring/late fall sunlight on the patio.

You’ll need two to pollinate each other, and unfortunately they’re among the costlier trees. Most cultivars have pretty substantial thorns, but some cultivars are thornless.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm in 8b (almost 9a, in town, on the coast) and it has been fine for my kumquat and satsuma and my dad's meyer lemon. In the past few years it's gotten down to the mid/upper teens and I haven't lost anything except a grapefruit in the ground. Kumquats and satsumas are among the hardier citrus though. I don't think oranges or grapefruits or true lemons would make it. It always helps to water well before a freeze, especially potted stuff.

Big containers are great and fun, but I'm with everyone else that if you need shade (and soon), big containers aren't the answer. Some 4x4s and some wire or lattice and wisteria/jasmine (carolina or confederate/asiatic)/gourds/morning glory/american groundnut/muscadine/kudzu will do that much better and much faster and probably cheaper too. Maybe bamboo? There are some clumping kinds that are pretty and not very invasive.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

Re patio plants:

Consider jujubes. They’re quite tough against heat, cold, drought. They can grow pretty big and fruit well in pots. They naturally have something of a columnar habit that might work well for you.

In fifteen-litre pots from the nursery, they can get well over two metres in height while holding a dozen, maybe two dozen fruits

I’m biased toward fruiting plants, but these are some top-tier trees. The one thing I’ll knock them for is leafing out late and dropping leaves early. It’s part of what makes them tough, but it annoys me that they waste perfectly good growing days in my climate. You may consider it an advantage if you want early spring/late fall sunlight on the patio.

You’ll need two to pollinate each other, and unfortunately they’re among the costlier trees. Most cultivars have pretty substantial thorns, but some cultivars are thornless.

This is a really interesting idea. I believe you can do blueberries in large pots, and there are columnar apple trees as well.

Just promise you won’t plant any loving arborvitae. That’s boring.

It’s your yard, no one is judging you. 😇

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s your yard, no one is judging you. 😇

I am. Earth doesn't need more of them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wallet posted:

I am. Earth doesn't need more of them.

Nothing like than hitting costco in march and watching pick-up trucks full of upper middle class families loading those into the bed by the dozen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Nothing like than hitting costco in march and watching pick-up trucks full of upper middle class families loading those into the bed by the dozen.

It's so they don't ever need to talk to their neighbors.

They do make okay hedges, but they're over used. I have some tiny ones that were planted in the last two years before we moved in. I can't decide if I want to take them out or not. They grow okay in the very little sun on the north part of the house, but I really just need to look at what makes a great shade garden and go with that (but next year).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jhet posted:

They do make okay hedges, but they're over used.

They can though virtually everyone I see with them planted prunes them improperly so they look like hot wet poo poo within a few years. There are many other plants that can make good hedges; some of them even flower. None of them are capable of convincing your neighbors that you're dead inside quite the way arborvitae can, but we all have to make sacrifices.

Jhet posted:

They grow okay in the very little sun on the north part of the house, but I really just need to look at what makes a great shade garden and go with that (but next year).

A great shade garden is just a garden in the shade with plants that make you happy, if you ask me.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

It's so they don't ever need to talk to their neighbors.

They do make okay hedges, but they're over used. I have some tiny ones that were planted in the last two years before we moved in. I can't decide if I want to take them out or not. They grow okay in the very little sun on the north part of the house, but I really just need to look at what makes a great shade garden and go with that (but next year).

I think you can also get around the height limits of fences as well. Still doesn’t say much good about someone who shades out every one of their neighbors.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I think you can also get around the height limits of fences as well. Still doesn’t say much good about someone who shades out every one of their neighbors.

Oh, there’s no problem here. We have a nice fence, and this keeps us from staring at each other too because it’s only 12’ or so. I actually like my neighbors, and they’re nice tall well kept ones on their side. There’s not much room to grow much there, and they’re a type of western red cedar and should be native anyway. I have no idea why the former people would plant their own and leave the home depot tags on them. But they planted them all the way down the fence, far apart, and under the spruce and Japanese maple. So half of them are in the worst place possible anyway. But really, they’re over used and rarely taken care of.

I just haven’t figured out what to put there, and it’s my house making all the shade. So it’s fun to see what people put in their gardens, but compared to growing edible plants, I have much less experience. I think the key is not expecting them to survive without me paying attention to them.

I am looking forward to putting in a whole bunch of heather along the west wall of the house. I just have to pick out colors and wait 5 years for them to start getting big.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

Oh, there’s no problem here. We have a nice fence, and this keeps us from staring at each other too because it’s only 12’ or so. I actually like my neighbors, and they’re nice tall well kept ones on their side. There’s not much room to grow much there, and they’re a type of western red cedar and should be native anyway. I have no idea why the former people would plant their own and leave the home depot tags on them. But they planted them all the way down the fence, far apart, and under the spruce and Japanese maple. So half of them are in the worst place possible anyway. But really, they’re over used and rarely taken care of.

I just haven’t figured out what to put there, and it’s my house making all the shade. So it’s fun to see what people put in their gardens, but compared to growing edible plants, I have much less experience. I think the key is not expecting them to survive without me paying attention to them.

I am looking forward to putting in a whole bunch of heather along the west wall of the house. I just have to pick out colors and wait 5 years for them to start getting big.

For shade I would absolutely say dwarf maple cultivars (lots of folks screw this up), hostas and ferns.

Man, out of 11 maples, only one suffered leaf scorch from the insane heat wave the PNW is having right now. Not too shabby and still plenty of time to recover.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Opinions: Is it ever a good idea to plant cacti in pots with no drainage? On the upside, they're tidier and you can do trendy poo poo like plant things in teapots or whatever. On the downside, it seems like it would be very easy to end up with them sitting in water. Thoughts?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No, never.

Get a ceramic bit and drill out the teapot if you need to.

If you need to be tidy, water the plants, then take away the saucer after the excess water has drained away.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

With this house I inherited a bunch of awful poo poo in the garden, most of which I've gotten rid of, but there were a pair of lilacs I didn't have the heart to throw in the bin; they're some sort of remontant dwarf variety of Syringa microphylla but I don't know which. Unfortunately the prior owner(s) clearly didn't do any reasonable maintenance pruning so while the lilacs are only three or four feet high, they're 90% bare woody stem and 10% leaves, so they look like poo poo even though they do still flower twice yearly. They're in what should be ideal conditions for them.

Any shrub wizards have any advice on how to return them to decent looking shrubs? My assumption is that my only real option is to prune them back to the ground, either all at once or over a couple of years.

Platystemon posted:

No, never.

Get a ceramic bit and drill out the teapot if you need to.

If you need to be tidy, water the plants, then take away the saucer after the excess water has drained away.

This. Without drainage you're one mistake from killing them at all times. With many species if they manage to get their roots to the bottom and find standing water things will go poorly.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm death to houseplants, but I think this corner could use a houseplant:

That was taken around noon and that's about as bright as it gets in summer-maybe gets a bit more in winter when the sun is lower. It gets some spillover light from the fluorescent in the kitchen in the evenings. I want something big and tall-ish, more like a monstera or some kind of palmy thing, not like a peace lily. It's pretty humid in my house, and in the winter I let it get down to the mid-50s sometimes-no idea if that matters for tropical stuff.

Anything y'all could recommend?