Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1409178828417683456?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

chiasaur11 posted:

Trailer's out.

I knew Aki and Himeno hosed!

From the youtube comments:

quote:

Can't wait to see Denji's first kiss getting animated

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Trailer's out.

I knew Aki and Himeno hosed!

Wow, Mappa have some cinematography and detailed shots that were not in the manga; this looks like a worthwhile adaption.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
isn't mappa not doing so well lately? i recall an article saying that the animators were being run ragged even by the industry's already-dismal standards

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they've had a bad production reputation for a while, just a consequence of taking on so many projects and often complex ones like Dorohedoro or AoT. i feel like CSM totally falls into that bucket with its monster designs and setpieces, so a pre-animated teaser, even by the same staff, doesn't seem like it says much either way.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I mean, that trailer was hype as gently caress, and both these things;

dogsicle posted:

taking on so many projects and often complex ones like Dorohedoro

bondster posted:

The Devilman crybaby composer was a match I didn’t know I wanted until now :swoon:

are just increasing that hype for me. This looks great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Buffis posted:

I mean, that trailer was hype as gently caress, and both these things;

are just increasing that hype for me. This looks great.

Yeah, from what I've seen the crew on this one is a bit of a murderer's row. Nobody who's run a show before, but some absolutely first rate episodes and sequences in the CVs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:shrug:

at least the series staff is represented in the teaser staff, but it's something that doesn't feel indicative of what CSM will look like under a tv production schedule. hopefully by next year we have a real pv to judge.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just shotgunned through this in a day and holy poo poo.

I love Denji so much, his simple goals that keep evolving and any protagonist that sets themselves on fire to defeat someone is automatically cool.

Speaking of that whole arc is insane Power running over one of the assassins, the trip to hell, the darkness devil Goddamn.

And it keeps topping itself after that all the way to the very end. It does so much and in less than 100 chapter as well.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
The only thing about that trailer that bothers me is how subdued the coloring is, it doesn't capture the full emotion. Chainsaw Man

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
the crosses in power's eyes are weirdly subtle too

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

:shrug:

at least the series staff is represented in the teaser staff, but it's something that doesn't feel indicative of what CSM will look like under a tv production schedule. hopefully by next year we have a real pv to judge.

Same crew, same director. It's, if nothing else, a pretty reasonable indicator of what the best looking moments of the show will look like.

Expecting the show to look exactly like this is one thing, but going so far in the opposite direction as to discard everything to wait for the "real" pv is just as absurd.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

meh, you won't convince me cg isn't a likely factor in some of the wilder designs or setpieces until the actual pv. i'd also hope the aesthetic on display isn't terribly indicative since it's basically shutting out all the fun color work fujimoto did for the manga like rainbow-colored intestines, fountains of green blood, etc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean it's a MAPPA show so there's going to be CG yeah

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

sockpuppetclock posted:

The only thing about that trailer that bothers me is how subdued the coloring is, it doesn't capture the full emotion. Chainsaw Man

I have a lot of respect for MAPPA and I have no doubts that when this show fires on all cylinders it'll be a feast for the eyes but yeah, it's visual style feels a bit restrained and muted. I'd really like to see some Masaaki Yuasa-esque colour madness and looser artwork. Hope they keep the 4th wall breaking style of the Curse Devil.

Still, not actually complaining. Trailer looks beautiful and feels like it suits the tone for when the series gets heavier.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I want Masaaki Yuasa to just do every anime

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's a lot about Chainsawman's design (the character I mean... and to some extent, the other devils) that reminds me of Tsutomu Nihiei, and as such, I'm just glad this looks better than the anime adaptations of that guy's stuff. Oof.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Who is that playing with Denji and Power at the beach? Kobeni?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Who is that playing with Denji and Power at the beach? Kobeni?

Yep.

They met on the beach in a Shonen Jump Summer Special where we see one of Kobeni's many sisters for the first time.

It does not go well for Kobeni.

(Then again, what does?)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep.

They met on the beach in a Shonen Jump Summer Special where we see one of Kobeni's many sisters for the first time.

(Then again, what does?)

Does it go well for Kobeni's sister?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chiasaur11 posted:

(Then again, what does?)

Surviving?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:dadjoke:
:cry:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I hope there's an entire episode devoted to the Family Burger fiasco.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean they kind of have to, in order to properly marinate in the weirdness of it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Excited to see how they deal with the wilder moments. Like, the Darkness Devil is far from impossible to animate but it's also one where motion feels like it would detract from the very intentional incomprehensibility of it all so it'll be tough to do justice.
Then there's the weird poo poo the Curse Devil and Hell Devil(?) do with framing in the manga that will be hard to literally translate into the anime but an adventurous director could really play with (mostly thinking the finger wiping away the 3 kids for a visit to Hell.) Gun Devil's hit list should also be a strange visual treat.
And finally, as said, Family Burger is just such a grim but funny sequence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
An entire episode of names that the Gun Devil killed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If they're going to get everything up to this point done in one season - and if it's a 26 episode one they kind of have to because there's not really a ton of material to work with for multiple seasons - then they're not going to be able to spend a lot of time on things like that.

That said maybe they go up to Bombwoman for this season and do the rest next one? That might work

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 30, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

I hope there's an entire episode devoted to the Family Burger fiasco.

He never did get the burger and the song properly. :(

I demand the ending theme be set to Kobeni rocking Dance dance revolution

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Blockhouse posted:

If they're going to get everything up to this point done in one season - and if it's a 26 episode one they kind of have to because there's not really a ton of material to work with for multiple seasons - then they're not going to be able to spend a lot of time on things like that.

That said maybe they go up to Bombwoman for this season and do the rest next one? That might work

Even if they stick to 13 episode "seasons", you could get away with doing everything up to Bomb Girl (39 chapters) in the first 13, do Bomb and Katana (31 chapters) as the 2nd 13, and end with Gun/Makima (27) as the final 13.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Robviously posted:

Even if they stick to 13 episode "seasons", you could get away with doing everything up to Bomb Girl (39 chapters) in the first 13, do Bomb and Katana (31 chapters) as the 2nd 13, and end with Gun/Makima (27) as the final 13.

Yeah ending S1 after beating Katana would be great, since then the first season is mostly standard shonen stuff, and then that fight is where the training wheels come off and people start dying. It'd be a good reality check to finish the season. Then doing Bomb + International Assassins would be good, since it ends with going to hell and then Halloween. Really good finale to lead into the third season.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yeah, I meant International Assassins there but the gist is still right. This is also assuming the general 2-3 chapters an episode but I don't know exactly how that plots out for a monthly vs a weekly. Probably not much different.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth TNT posted:

He never did get the burger and the song properly. :(

I demand the ending theme be set to Kobeni rocking Dance dance revolution

I'm imagining the level of "You didn't have to do this but you did anyway and we're so happy" that we had with Jojo Pt 5 and the gang dancing to the Pussy Control knockoff song.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

While I'm here, I only just tore through the series in the last few days and while I know there's no definitive answer for what I'm about to ask since the manga left it ambiguous: Is there a general consensus on what happens when Chainsaw Man eats another Devil? Like, if he ate Power I don't imagine blood would cease to exist and if he ate Darkness I the physics of light would change so do we think it's more along the lines the fears and memories cease to exist? That whole part was just a bit confusing in what it was trying to say. Makima says the names escape even her memory only to list several examples (AIDs, Nazis) of concepts that got gobbled up in the next speech bubble. I don't mind it being weird and nebulous but I'd be interested to hear what you folks made of it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Considering everything up that point, I took it at face value and all those concepts got erased.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Looking things up, standard anime pacing is two, maybe three chapters an episode, on average. For example, Jujutsu Kaisen had 63 chapters in 24 episodes and that's considered reasonably brisk.

Trying to get Chainsaw Man done in the same length of time means nearly four chapters an episode. Considering that Chainsaw Man already has a pretty drat fast pace, that doesn't seem workable. For example, Himeno first appears at the end of chapter 10 and dies in chapter 25. With that pacing, she'd only appear in four episodes. Not ideal for getting people attached.

So, yeah. I'm thinking three cours. This is an almost guaranteed megahit for Mappa, and if they're as invested as it looks right now, they're not going to want to rush it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ping pong adapted 56 chapters in 12 episodes so I think they could do it in 26. That adaption wasn’t 1 to 1 ofc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Popo posted:

While I'm here, I only just tore through the series in the last few days and while I know there's no definitive answer for what I'm about to ask since the manga left it ambiguous: Is there a general consensus on what happens when Chainsaw Man eats another Devil? Like, if he ate Power I don't imagine blood would cease to exist and if he ate Darkness I the physics of light would change so do we think it's more along the lines the fears and memories cease to exist? That whole part was just a bit confusing in what it was trying to say. Makima says the names escape even her memory only to list several examples (AIDs, Nazis) of concepts that got gobbled up in the next speech bubble. I don't mind it being weird and nebulous but I'd be interested to hear what you folks made of it.

the way makima described it, i think the causes of the devoured words (along with all fear/knowledge of them) are erased, but not the effects. the nazis are gone but their victims didn't come back, etc. the setting's technology and geopolitics don't fully match the era we know, so chainsaw man's hijinks have definitely altered the course of history

it follows logically that eating power or darkness would also zap those concepts from the world, but pochita probably just had the restraint not to erase devils if it would consequently destroy things like "conventional biology" or "reality as we know it." that's assuming he ever had the mojo to challenge the Primal Fears to begin with, which is pretty doubtful

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Popo posted:

It's a bit unclear. Makima specifies in ch 87 that Chainsaw Man ate the "names" of human-devil hybrids (such as Denji, Reze, and Quanxi) - and she also specifies "Yet somehow, their existence was not [erased]. Of the many names you've consumed, they are the sole exception." (presumably they're the sole exception because eating them would also erase Chainsaw Man himself) This statement implies that when CSM eats a devil, the entire concept of what they represent does, in fact, get erased entirely.

AIDs is a good example - if it only erased humanity's memory of the devil, or their ability to perceive it, then there would still be a horrendously deadly STD that goes around killing people - we would just have to start over on learning about it and being afraid of it. Makima also mentioned Nuclear Weapons - if eating the name only erased our memory of them, then people would wonder what these weird bombs and missiles are just sitting around in bunkers. Better set one off and find out what happens! If it erased our ability to perceive nukes, but they still existed, what happens when someone walks hard into one? Is it just invisible? Does their brain instantly make them forget they did, and they're just left wondering how they broke their toe? etc

So yeah, it does seem like when CSM eats a devil, the object / concept itself is erased, but we don't really know how the universe / reality / timeline deals with that erasure. My theory is that reality would warp or change in some way to accommodate the change. If he ate the Darkness devil, the physics of light would in fact change so that darkness no longer exists. If he ate Power, blood wouldn't exist either. Since reality warps, animals and humans would instead just have evolved to not have blood, or something. Since WW2 was one of the concepts that CSM ate, then I suspect the universe shifted so all those millions of people never died.

However, it is worth noting that this is one of those things that are probably best if you don't think about it too hard. Devils work similarly - they're powered by fear, okay. But then why is the Gun Devil so powerful? It's not like many people are afraid of guns themselves, they're afraid of the violence and death caused by guns. If we accept that the Gun Devil is really a convenient name for the Gun Violence Devil, then shouldn't Violence himself be even more powerful? Violence covers Gun Violence, so he should be objectively more powerful. It kind of breaks down when you really examine it too closely, so it's best to just shrug and accept it and move on.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 30, 2021

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There’s also the light of the star that kills children who look at it that would presumably still happen if just the knowledge was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

EmmyOk posted:

There’s also the light of the star that kills children who look at it that would presumably still happen if just the knowledge was fine

Yeah she mentions a few wild things that don't really exist like the madness star and "other (number) of fates after death", so I think the concept is just straight up erased from existence. Like, if he ate the moon devil then there's no moon anymore.