Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

ptier posted:

If this thread is not the right one, please excuse my fast posting.

I have about a 1/2 acre of land that I cut grass on. I have converted all of my yard tools to banana flavor (Dewalt) battery lines. The push mower works great; blower the same. My string trimmer... is causing some problems. Well, its more like, it was made with cheapness in mind. It has a ratcheting spool that you smash on the grass to release some more string. I haven't been hitting it on anything hard, literally just bouncing it on fluffy grass patches. I emptied the inaugural spool of line and upon inspection, the "top" of the spool, i.e. the thing I push on the ground, has eroded and probably has like 10 more goes in it until it implodes. reviews online for the spool are... sub par and in line with this scenario. Basically everyone loves the trimmer until the spool disintegrates and it is hard as hell to get replacement caps, because I guess no one thought that using the cheapest plastic known to humanity would have this kind of issue. (The fact that they sell them in two packs says something else).

Is there a brand or product line of string trimmer spools that anyone here would recommend as a replacement for the OEM? I am happy to do the work to retro fit it onto my little bastard. I just want stuff that isn't going to eat itself in less than a summer.

Thank you all!

Is there a proper way to use bump feed lines? I just picked up a greenworks 80v trimmer, and I hate the fact that I have to risk damaging the cap on concrete or have to basically sacrifice a little patch of grass to feed it proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a proper way to use bump feed lines? I just picked up a greenworks 80v trimmer, and I hate the fact that I have to risk damaging the cap on concrete or have to basically sacrifice a little patch of grass to feed it proper.

I'm still using the original head on my 15+ year old Echo string trimmer. If it's properly made this simply isn't an issue.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm still using the original head on my 15+ year old Echo string trimmer. If it's properly made this simply isn't an issue.

Yeah I've never worried about smacking my trimmer on anything, granted its like the 20 dollar lovely black n decierk but I"ve never worried ever no matter what one it was.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I've never worried about smacking my trimmer on anything, granted its like the 20 dollar lovely black n decierk but I"ve never worried ever no matter what one it was.

I just did the grass deal. And apparently, they used chocolate instead of plastic cause this stuff DOES NOT WORK. I just don't want to go the route of "Seen on TV" nonsense unless there is one that works well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a number of folks on these forums that swear you need to replace the cutter head on any string trimmer. However, I don't know what they advice replacing it with

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you need to do a lot of yardwork dear God buy into the Stihl combi-system. And this is from someone who absolutely hates the gently caress out of gas equipment.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Get an echo speed feed head to replace the original one.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

coathat posted:

Get an echo speed feed head to replace the original one.

Thank you. Took a quick peek and yep, people are happy with them and they work with the 20V flex banana.

Will give trip report.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Literally A Person posted:

If you need to do a lot of yardwork dear God buy into the Stihl combi-system. And this is from someone who absolutely hates the gently caress out of gas equipment.
Yah I love mine and the blower thing looks like a giant laser cannon which is awesome. I recently got the pole chainsaw attachment and it kicks rear end. I really hate 2 cycle engines but it starts every damned time. Stihl weedeater, honda mower = gas power with no problems.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I love my Shakespeare Ugly Head.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My Husqvarna works pretty well by bumping on the ground. 5 years of doing do and it doesn't appear to be wearing out at any point and continues to work flawlessly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is this the thread to ask about generators? The Texas Snowpocalypse earlier this year has my mother looking to buy one sometime before winter, and she asked me for advice, and now I'm asking y'all.

I'm leaning towards a gas+propane generator with the intent of mostly running it off of propane, just because propane is easier/safer to store than gasoline. However, I know nothing about this subject so I'm prepared for that to be a terrible choice. This would mostly be for relatively small scale use. Cooking, charging electronics, running a swamp cooler or small AC unit during summer power outages, maybe powering the fridge for an hour or so at a time to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing.

What kinds of things should I be looking for in a generator? What brands are good? Is there a definitive "go buy this, it's the best residential generator" type of option?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khizan posted:

Is this the thread to ask about generators? The Texas Snowpocalypse earlier this year has my mother looking to buy one sometime before winter, and she asked me for advice, and now I'm asking y'all.

I'm leaning towards a gas+propane generator with the intent of mostly running it off of propane, just because propane is easier/safer to store than gasoline. However, I know nothing about this subject so I'm prepared for that to be a terrible choice. This would mostly be for relatively small scale use. Cooking, charging electronics, running a swamp cooler or small AC unit during summer power outages, maybe powering the fridge for an hour or so at a time to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing.

What kinds of things should I be looking for in a generator? What brands are good? Is there a definitive "go buy this, it's the best residential generator" type of option?

So a portable generator?

Is this the kind of thing you mother could wheel out of some shed or garage, hook up to an inlet on the house that doesn't exist yet, throw the switchgear to make that inlet work, start the generator, deal with too much inrush load and know to turn some stuff off, try again to start it and then go from there?

Because that's how this goes down.

Most "my mom need a generator" problems are only reasonably solved by a proper auto start fixed backup genset.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

hook up to an inlet on the house that doesn't exist yet

No worries this is easily solved with the devils extension cord :twisted:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ptier posted:

Thank you. Took a quick peek and yep, people are happy with them and they work with the 20V flex banana.

Will give trip report.

Can you post a link to the one you bought? I'd be interested in this.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Motronic posted:

Most "my mom need a generator" problems are only reasonably solved by a proper auto start fixed backup genset.

She's really just thinking of something like a portable generator on the back porch and running an extension cord in through the window to power some things. Small window AC at night, coffeemaker, toaster oven, charging electronics, running the fridge/freezer for a few hours a day to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing. Not running central air and whatnot.

She used to spend a lot of time with my dad on his hunting property in a small cabin with a portable generator for power, so she knows what to expect from it. That generator went with the property when she sold it off, though, so she's looking to replace it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I love my Shakespeare Ugly Head.

You just made that up.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Khizan posted:

She's really just thinking of something like a portable generator on the back porch and running an extension cord in through the window to power some things. Small window AC at night, coffeemaker, toaster oven, charging electronics, running the fridge/freezer for a few hours a day to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing. Not running central air and whatnot.

She used to spend a lot of time with my dad on his hunting property in a small cabin with a portable generator for power, so she knows what to expect from it. That generator went with the property when she sold it off, though, so she's looking to replace it.

I'm kind of in the same boat for the house I just bought. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get a sparky out to install an interlock and 30 amp receptacle any time soon though. Also considering dual fuel as we have a propane tank on the property, though then we would need to have a line run for that also. I'm leaning towards the Champion inverters. Just need to do the math and figure out exactly what we want to power and how much we need. I've actually heard that the Harbor Freight predator inverter generators are surprisingly good, though I'm not sure if there's a propane conversion kit available.

She is probably aware but coffee makers draw crazy wattage, I have a pour over/aeropress and a Moka pot which I can use if the power goes out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Found a solution to coffee with no power. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3-Cup-18-Volt-LXT-12-Volt-MAX-CXT-Lithium-Ion-Teal-Cordless-Coffee-Maker-Tool-Only-DCM501Z/309327779

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So yeah get an inverter generator.. also don't put it on the porch lots of ventilation is good covered areas attached to the house is bad. Carbon monoxide cns sneak in windows etc.

I got a WEN and haven't needed to use it except for running it occasionally to charge that starter battery and keep it flowing. It works well is quiet. With it I got a nice reel plug with GFCI that I can use to plug in a few essentials as well as a 20a plug that I can use on the non 'standard' plug for 3 more things.

It's decently quiet and so far the power is enough to power the random things I use when giving it it's monthly 10-30 min run.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Khizan posted:

People love Hondas. Your mom would probably be okay with a 4500 +- watt unit then. Otoh, I ordered a Westinghouse from Amazon during the October icepocalypse.... it may be overkill for her. 7500 watt, will power the fridge, electronics, a space heater (likely she'll need heat) with remote start, so no need to pull a rope and delivered to the door. It's heavy so you'd need to dolly it to the shed or garage to unbox, put the wheels on, etc. You want heavy duty power cords, I can't stress that enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N80F68E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

wandler20 posted:

Can you post a link to the one you bought? I'd be interested in this.

This one Should arrive by Monday.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ptier posted:

This one Should arrive by Monday.

Nice, thanks. I've got 2 DeWalt trimmers and one I've never had issues with the head but the other is constantly giving me issues.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rutibex posted:

No worries this is easily solved with the devils extension cord :twisted:

Holy poo poo lmao. For anyone watching along, do not make this. Erase it from your memory entirely. It will kill you when you least expect it and it will hurt the entire time you are dying.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

corgski posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. For anyone watching along, do not make this. Erase it from your memory entirely. It will kill you when you least expect it and it will hurt the entire time you are dying.

Not just you. The reason so many municipalities say feeding your electrical this way is illegal is you can actually backfeed the grid so some unsuspecting lineman can get their face fried off as they work to fix power outages.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

corgski posted:

I can't remember if it was Menards or a local hardware store but in the extension cord section they had a sign with a picture of that cord basically saying don't build this, you will kill yourself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I can't remember if it was Menards or a local hardware store but in the extension cord section they had a sign with a picture of that cord basically saying don't build this, you will kill yourself.

My local hardware store had similar saying "we don't have these, we won't help you make these, don't make these."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So is that mostly through electrocution, or burning your house down jamming 50 amps into a 15 amp circuit?

(50 amps chosen at random because that's what my cheapie generator feeds)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

So is that mostly through electrocution, or burning your house down jamming 50 amps into a 15 amp circuit?

(50 amps chosen at random because that's what my cheapie generator feeds)

All of the above, plus:

- This will only energize one leg, i.e. half of your panel. People leave 240v devices on, some of which will react poorly to only having one leg of power (think smoke/fire)
- Using something like this means you probably have no idea that you are backfeeding YOUR ENTIRE LOCAL GRID. So you can kill linemen and other neighbors this way unless you turn off your main. Which is not something anyone should be trusted to do, which is why generator inlets are either ganged to the main so only one can be on at any time or an actual transfer switch panel between the meter and panel which serves the same purpose.
- Also we routinely have at least somebody start a fire or get CO poisoning while using a portable generator during any multi day power outage by doing things like putting the exhaust up against the house or putting the generator in their garage.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Recommendations on a decent soldering iron / station?

Just for random home projects, nothing more than to use every few months, so budget is somewhere around a soft $100. I see a bunch of random ones on Amazon but they always are littered with “heating element stopped working” reviews. I’d like one with the “helping hands” clamps to hold stuff.

I’ve still got my original iron from EE102 in 2000, but it takes forever to heat up. And is also packed away in a random moving box somewhere so I’m using it as an excuse to buy a new one :v:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Never looked closely at that before, but at 3 cups per 5 Ah battery you're going to need a few battery packs if you have any kind of coffee habit.

Tyro posted:

Also considering dual fuel as we have a propane tank on the property, though then we would need to have a line run for that also. I'm leaning towards the Champion inverters. Just need to do the math and figure out exactly what we want to power and how much we need. I've actually heard that the Harbor Freight predator inverter generators are surprisingly good, though I'm not sure if there's a propane conversion kit available.

If it's a largish propane tank it would be worth doing. I run our gasoline Champion twice a year - once in the spring when I drain the tank and run the carburetor dry, and again in the fall when I change oil and fill the tank with gasoline and stabilizer again before the winter storms hit. That seems to be enough to keep it happy with our non-ethanol gasoline. I've thought about getting a dual fuel conversion kit for it to reduce the need for maintenance but we'd need a bigger propane tank and probably would need to keep some gasoline around anyway as propane engines can be a bit finicky about starting in severe cold when we're most likely to need it.

I think the Champion's a Honda clone, and has been fine so far. The longest stretch we've had to use it was three days at about 4 hours total per day - often enough to keep the freezers frozen and the water supply on. Only problem's been a starter battery connector that corroded away in storage, requiring the use of the pull cord instead of the electric start.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Recommendations on a decent soldering iron / station?

Just for random home projects, nothing more than to use every few months, so budget is somewhere around a soft $100. I see a bunch of random ones on Amazon but they always are littered with “heating element stopped working” reviews. I’d like one with the “helping hands” clamps to hold stuff.

I’ve still got my original iron from EE102 in 2000, but it takes forever to heat up. And is also packed away in a random moving box somewhere so I’m using it as an excuse to buy a new one :v:

My Hakko FX888D-23BY has been a joy to use for hobby grade stuff at $104 plus maybe $20 in a tip assortment. I feel like it was on some good reviews and perhaps even recommended by this very thread.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

If it's a largish propane tank it would be worth doing. I run our gasoline Champion twice a year - once in the spring when I drain the tank and run the carburetor dry, and again in the fall when I change oil and fill the tank with gasoline and stabilizer again before the winter storms hit. That seems to be enough to keep it happy with our non-ethanol gasoline. I've thought about getting a dual fuel conversion kit for it to reduce the need for maintenance but we'd need a bigger propane tank and probably would need to keep some gasoline around anyway as propane engines can be a bit finicky about starting in severe cold when we're most likely to need it.

I think the Champion's a Honda clone, and has been fine so far. The longest stretch we've had to use it was three days at about 4 hours total per day - often enough to keep the freezers frozen and the water supply on. Only problem's been a starter battery up connector that corroded away in storage, requiring the use of the pull cord instead of the electric start.

Thanks. Yeah it's a 325gal tank so it's been pretty tempting. Also thinking of maybe running a line to the deck for grilling, though I'm hesitant to do that because if someone leaves it on or there's a leak from an animal chewing the line or something, then the entire tank potentially gets emptied. I assume there's some way around that with a switch or cutoff valve, I just haven't looked into it yet.

quote:

Recommendations on a decent soldering iron / station?.

I remember several people happy with this one in the GBS AliExpress thread but I'd be interested to see how well they have stood up over time: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32945257770.html

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I have had the ksger iron for about 18 months. Seems to be holding up great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've had the same xytronics soldering station for over 15 years.
I just a few months ago replaced the original tip.

It only gets used for hobby stuff not all day every day but I more than got my money's worth out of it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Budget hobbyist, portable: TS80
Budget hobbyist, stationary: Hakko clone off eBay/Amazon/AI, but buy Hakko tips
Budget professional, stationary: Hakko FX888D (I have one and used it for 5 years professionally)
Mid level: Thermaltronics TMT-2000 (I bought one this year to upgrade from the Hakko)
High end (and totally unnecessary IMHO): Metcal/Pace/Hakko whatever

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

LightRailTycoon posted:

I have had the ksger iron for about 18 months. Seems to be holding up great.

Same here, I really like it. I hope it holds up. I got mine from Amazon at the time for not much more than that Ali express price.

I’m surprised there aren’t more T12 irons, those tips rule

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

uwaeve posted:

My Hakko FX888D-23BY has been a joy to use for hobby grade stuff at $104 plus maybe $20 in a tip assortment. I feel like it was on some good reviews and perhaps even recommended by this very thread.

Got real confused for a second about where you were buying your tools and also leaving a tip.

wandler20 posted:

It came up somewhere that apparently people plan poorly when putting up their christmas lights and end up requesting them with some regularity in that time of year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

uwaeve posted:

That looks real nice, but a big ol yikes at that temperature adjustment, wow. Not that I’d adjust it often but yeah.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lee Valley Tools makes great gardening tools. Can I trust the quality of their woodworking tools?