Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is gaming 4k at all worth it?

I can for sure see a difference between 1080p and 1440p but I can not imagine the jump to 4k would really be so noticeable to be worth the frame-rate drop.

I'm currently using an Asus 1440p 144hz monitor as my main with my old 2012 Samsung 1080p monitor as my secondary.

I was thinking about getting a 4k monitor to use as a secondary screen for productive (non-gaming) tasks/work.

Does anyone have a setup like this? Would I see a drop in frame-rate running a 4k screen along side a video game or does it not make much of a dent?

I went from 4k60 to 1440p155hz on my primary display a couple years ago and have never looked back (mostly gaming usage). I keep the 4k display as my secondary monitor, and any impact on gaming performance is margin of error territory unless there's stuff actively being rendered on the second display.

I actually kinda got curious when writing this so did a quick test to see just what the impact would be, and comparing the junk I usually have open vs. having a Youtube video playing. System is running a 5600X/RTX3090, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I think this is what you're wanting? Doesn't show frame rate drop but it shows why you might care one way or the other depending on distance.

This chart seems incomplete without 1440p. In reality these lines are a lot fuzzier, and 1440p sits in a pretty appealing in-between space.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Death On Toast posted:

I went from 4k60 to 1440p155hz on my primary display a couple years ago and have never looked back (mostly gaming usage). I keep the 4k display as my secondary monitor, and any impact on gaming performance is margin of error territory unless there's stuff actively being rendered on the second display.

I actually kinda got curious when writing this so did a quick test to see just what the impact would be, and comparing the junk I usually have open vs. having a Youtube video playing. System is running a 5600X/RTX3090, for reference.

I wonder if they'll be any difference between the CPU and GPU decoding the video on the second screen. If you want to do one more quick test, just for my own curiosity, try disabling hardware-accelerated video decoding in the chrome flags page and running the youtube test again. I have to use this setting anyway because the radeon drivers are trash and do really weird things to twitch VODs (but not live streams) when they're full screen for some reason.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wonder if they'll be any difference between the CPU and GPU decoding the video on the second screen. If you want to do one more quick test, just for my own curiosity, try disabling hardware-accelerated video decoding in the chrome flags page and running the youtube test again. I have to use this setting anyway because the radeon drivers are trash and do really weird things to twitch VODs (but not live streams) when they're full screen for some reason.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I'm running Firefox, not Chrome, not sure if that makes much of a difference. Also, only have a 6 core CPU, and IIRC Metro Exodus tends to favor Intel a bit on CPU performance, so your mileage may vary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ThePeavstenator posted:

I built my GF a PC a few months ago with an old GPU of mine (980ti) and had this issue. The fix was to update the firmware on the GPU. You should be able to get an update from the GPU partner (in your case probably Dell).

Her new PC has a DP 1.4 monitor but the GPU output was DP 1.2. Those versions are compatible and the GPU drivers in Windows were able to make the display work, but the GPU firmware is what runs between your PC POSTing and Windows loading, which is why the screen is black until Windows starts up.

Unfortunately I can't find anything of the sort. I downloaded SupportAssist (which coincidentally, looks like is another app with BGR ClearType issues) to make sure after looking manually, but it found nothing relevant.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Rinkles posted:

Unfortunately I can't find anything of the sort. I downloaded SupportAssist (which coincidentally, looks like is another app with BGR ClearType issues) to make sure after looking manually, but it found nothing relevant.

You might be able to get the firmware update directly from AMD/NVIDIA as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i mean i do keep it up to date with nvidia's drivers, if that's what you mean

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Drivers are an OS-level thing, meaning they aren’t run until Windows is loaded. Firmware is saved to the hardware of the GPU, and is what’s used until the OS takes over and loads drivers. Updating firmware is different than updating drivers, and needs to be done much less frequently. If you have an NVIDIA card try this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just got a LG 27GN850 and it's doing that thing where every time it goes to sleep and wakes, it "forgets" it's connected and cycles 1-2 times while notifying "Gsync monitor connected". Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is gaming 4k at all worth it?

I can for sure see a difference between 1080p and 1440p but I can not imagine the jump to 4k would really be so noticeable to be worth the frame-rate drop.

Seems like with the better 30x cards 4k becomes a realistic option but its questionable how much of that you'll see on your human sized monitor at reasonable sitting distances. Refresh rate becomes an issue too.. The other pixel pushing option is an ultrawide. If you're trying to get a better graphics card then these or VR would be the motivating factor.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Death On Toast posted:

Thank you for posting this - it's really cool and good.

I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on a 4k screen tbh. I work from home and this old 1080p monitor is really showing it's age next to my 1440p gaming monitor. It's not even the colors as much as it's the screen real estate. The way websites are scaled these days you can pretty much only have one thing on a 1080p screen at a time and that's just not going to cut it for me anymore.

What's the new hotness (price/performance champ) for 4k screens these days?

Is AOC a brand worth looking at if I just want a cheap 4k monitor for worker drone BS?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Just got a LG 27GN850 and it's doing that thing where every time it goes to sleep and wakes, it "forgets" it's connected and cycles 1-2 times while notifying "Gsync monitor connected". Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Blame the poo poo way Windows handles DisplayPort sleep. Won't be fixed until I think their fall update this year according to them?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That update only saves window positions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd like to upgrade to 27-inch monitors after I refurnish my home office, so I've been looking at a lot of monitor reviews, but one aspect most reviews don't cover is portrait mode. I'm currently trying to use my Dell s2417dg in portrait mode for some things, but the bad viewing angles of its TN panel make it kinda finnicky. I think I'd like to stick to 1440p for now. Are there any monitors in the 27-inch 1440p bracket with viewing angles that are particularly suited to portrait mode, or will any IPS be good enough for this?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Should be the best good suggestion for a ultrawide to pair with my 3090 for gaming? Monitors either seem to be like £2k or £1K and nothing in-between. I don't really understand any of this. I just like to play poo poo like stellaris and mechwarrior and it look pretty. Nothing online etc usually where lag input lag would impact my all important kd/r.

Edit: ideally don't want over 38" due to size. The wife wants us to have our set ups side by side and I really want an ultrawide rather than multiple monitors

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Should be the best good suggestion for a ultrawide to pair with my 3090 for gaming? Monitors either seem to be like £2k or £1K and nothing in-between. I don't really understand any of this. I just like to play poo poo like stellaris and mechwarrior and it look pretty. Nothing online etc usually where lag input lag would impact my all important kd/r.

Edit: ideally don't want over 38" due to size. The wife wants us to have our set ups side by side and I really want an ultrawide rather than multiple monitors

This is the wider version of one of the thread's favourite monitors

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ah ha. I was looking at the 38GL950G-B but wasn't sure if it was good. Guess LG is pretty well respected around here?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah their high refresh rate IPS monitors are generally very good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have what's probably the second best panel in that category right now. The better option tends to cost like $150-200 more and isn't worth it though, totally minor improvements in contrast.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd certainly like for reviewers to get their hands on that Odyssey G70A from Samsung. Unless this is another paper launch.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMX_FuOLoCI

How was Steve Jobs able to record directly from his computer monitor back in 1992? As opposed to recording it with a video camera, it is as if he's recording his desktop monitor with some video capture card. How?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They probably used a frame grabber card?

E: This might shed some light on how he did it: https://www.matrix-vision.com/history.html
E2: or they piped the analog video signal directly to a recorder? :iiam:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 2, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There have been live capture tools for computer monitors dating back to… well basically the first computer display. Not always cheap or consumer focused, but yeah. Now wait until you learn about how they did the graphics for sporting events/the news back in the analogue era!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Any thoughts on IGZO panels? Apparently a Japanese company is popping up out of nowhere to release yet another 27 inch, 1440p165Hz monitor, this time based on IGZO technology. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/green-house-launches-igzo-gaming-display

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cygni posted:

Now wait until you learn about how they did the graphics for sporting events/the news back in the analogue era!

Can we do broadcast TV digital graphics shenanigans storytime with Cygni? :allears:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m by no means an expert and I’m an 80s baby so it was before my time, but I went down a rabbithole reading about it after coming across some of the hardware in a storeroom in an air traffic control tower. They were doing live overlays on the radar scopes, all analogue, and it was extremely cool. The incredible things people were able to do with basic manual or analogue tech is a dying art imo.

Here’s a nice little documentary on the Scanimate, the innovator for a lot of the 70-80s style tv and movie effects:

https://youtu.be/0wxc3mKqKTk

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cygni posted:

I’m by no means an expert and I’m an 80s baby so it was before my time, but I went down a rabbithole reading about it after coming across some of the hardware in a storeroom in an air traffic control tower. They were doing live overlays on the radar scopes, all analogue, and it was extremely cool. The incredible things people were able to do with basic manual or analogue tech is a dying art imo.

There is a period-specific video in the r/AnalogComputers about the Norden Bomb Sight. It was a Fite Control Mechanical Computer in WWII. It’s a dead sub but occasionally (over time measuring months and years) gets a great post!

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/s1i-dnAH9Y4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Doom 3 is a great showcase for how not great IPS screens are handling shadowy scenes

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

Doom 3 is a great showcase for how not great IPS screens are handling shadowy scenes

speaking of which, I was always puzzled by one particular thing on my old X34. In Witcher 3, in some of the areas where you're swimming underwater through tunnels/etc (like the part with Keira Metz where you're following Ciri's tracks through the cave system) the contrast was noticeably worse than my old XB270HU IPS monitor, like basically orange, and the picture had basically zero contrast. I realize that's basically the prototypical example of a situation where IPS sucks rear end but I did not notice all that on the XB270HU which was also IPS.

That was a couple monitors ago and I haven't tested a similar scenario on the new one to see if it's still a problem, but I probably will play the Witcher 3 RTX remaster when that comes out. If it happens again, any idea what the gently caress might have been going on there, or any steps I could take to fix it?

I didn't make it a habit of running contrast/brightness at absurd settings, I ran those around 50/50, and I didn't mess with any of the per-color settings, saturation, or gamma (and certainly not the blue-light blocker). In hindsight I'm looking back at some pictures of the OSD and I'm wondering if maybe I had enabled the "dark boost" or "adaptive contrast" and one of those settings was freaking out on a scene that is basically all dark.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 4, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of which, I was always puzzled by one particular thing on my old X34. In Witcher 3, in some of the areas where you're swimming underwater through tunnels/etc (like the part with Keira Metz where you're following Ciri's tracks through the cave system) the contrast was noticeably worse than my old XB270HU IPS monitor, like basically orange, and the picture had basically zero contrast. I realize that's basically the prototypical example of a situation where IPS sucks rear end but I did not notice all that on the XB270HU which was also IPS.

That was a couple monitors ago and I haven't tested a similar scenario on the new one to see if it's still a problem, but I probably will play the Witcher 3 RTX remaster when that comes out. If it happens again, any idea what the gently caress might have been going on there, or any steps I could take to fix it?

I didn't make it a habit of running contrast/brightness at absurd settings, I ran those around 50/50, and I didn't mess with any of the per-color settings, saturation, or gamma (and certainly not the blue-light blocker). In hindsight I'm looking back at some pictures of the OSD and I'm wondering if maybe I had enabled the "dark boost" or "adaptive contrast" and one of those settings was freaking out on a scene that is basically all dark.

It could be bad luck on the panel in some way, or a deficit in an earlier iteration of the technology. I have an XF270HU (the IPS panel, not the HUA TN, gently caress Acer's naming conventions) and it handles dark scenes well and has good contrast. It also has virtually no backlight bleed, so I may have lucked out on the panel lottery in general, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wibla posted:

Can we do broadcast TV digital graphics shenanigans storytime with Cygni? :allears:
If you had cable in the '90s you probably remember the Prevue Channel (later the TV Guide channel).

Depending on when you saw it, it ran on an Atari 800, an Amiga, or a Windows PC. This article goes in to some depth on the Amiga version that at least I recall seeing most as a kid: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-the-commodore-amiga-powered-your-cable-system-in-the-90s

If you're interested in/nostalgic about this the article links to a community of people who have archived examples of all three major releases and reverse engineered them enough to run in emulation, so you can have your own basic cable informational channel if you want.

My highly mature testing while learning the schedule data format:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I finally have an "Amazon hosed up in my favor" story!

Going back to my saga of the defective Monoprice monitor I bought last year, I bought a new Acer ultrawide display to replace it. The Acer is fine, no need to return it, it's been working great so far.

But the problem is, I didn't keep the box for my old ultrawide monitor - it's a super huge box to keep for a long period of time, and I don't have much space for things like that in my home. So what I did is put the Monoprice monitor back in the Acer monitor's box - they were the same shape, size, curvature, etc so it worked fine - and completed the return.

I even put a note in the box saying basically "Hey, the monitor in this box is not the monitor that is pictured on the box. It is a return for Order # XXXXXXX." Trying to be upfront about it so there's no confusion, right?

Well, they processed the refund for the Monoprice monitor about two weeks ago, and all was well.

Then I wake up to this email today:

So I guess I just got a free ultrawide monitor. :c00l: Thanks Amazon!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Heh, they don't open the box at all, nobody gives a poo poo what's in there, you could have put a plank of wood and they'd be fine.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There was one guy, somewhere in EU land I think, who took Amazon for a ride to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars by returning boxes full of dirt that weighed close enough to the product that no one noticed. Until something he'd returned was sold again and someone opened a box of dirt.

In short, someone who orders that Acer monitor could be in for a surprise.

E: Apparently it was €300,000 and he's from Spain.

Here's a blub about it.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 4, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I finally tried gaming on the ACER XZ322QU, which is a 31.5" curved LCD that goes up to 165Hz. I bought the monitor originally for an extra work LCD I needed, and also wanted to see what using a curved monitor was like.

The performance of older but graphically-demanding games on the Acer monitor was amazing, with no screen tearing whatsoever. Also I could see details in ioQuake 3 I had never noticed before: the plasma bolts fired at me had a definite unstructured shape, as opposed to looking like a bright bluish energy ball on my 60Hz screens.

For ioQuake3 at 144Hz it seemed like everything around me was moving slower - perhaps that was due to my reinforced perception from prior years of playing Quake 3 and having the game engine calculating more events or frames per second than what I was really seeing on the LCD, which was locked at 60 fps. Fighting against the bots on Nightmare was simple at 144Hz since I could see more things happening per second and react better to the events than at 60Hz.

What really floors me is how limiting 60Hz was on LCDs for the past 10+ years with some of these older games, compared to how CRT-type monitors would give higher refresh rates. With the 60Hz LCDs I tried everything I could think of to remove screen tearing, without sacrificing polygon and texture detail. Even with using higher-end GPUs the past few years, nothing I tried would work to remove LCD screen tearing.

And now these 120Hz+ displays have magically snapped their fingers and made the screen tearing go away. I wonder if I was wasting my time, this past decade, playing FPS games at 60Hz at the hardest difficulty, since the lack of FPS was putting me at an extreme disadvantage to how the game engines were managing the AI opponents.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Tearing has nothing to do with response time. Tearing is related to whether the GPU switches the framebuffer used for display mid-refresh, which is controlled by vsync on or off, or VRR with a framerate capped below max refresh rate. I'm fairly certain you're talking about motion clarity. While they're a huge step forward from pre-overdrive and 60hz LCDs, modern LCDs are still fairly blurry. If you compare 120hz on a LCD to 120hz on a CRT, the CRT is going to look noticeably better in motion. This is because LCDs still have relatively slow transition times - on the order of 5ms for the best IPS screens, significantly slower for VA screens like the one you're talking about, particularly in dark areas. A good CRT will have far below millisecond responses on its phosphors, and more importantly, they are only bright for less than a millisecond. The brain is much more comfortable interpreting discrete images as motion when they're rapidly flashing than when they're transitioning. It's easy for it to understand momentarily seeing something, then momentarily seeing it elsewhere, but much harder to interpret a static object that teleports every few milliseconds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d like to thank all the goons that recommended the LG 27GL83A-B. This thing rules.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rinkles posted:

doom 3 is dark

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's my point. Not that visibility would necessarily be much better on another screen (it likely would somewhat), but it wouldn't look as washed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I remember playing it when it first came out on my rubbish casual desktop use flatscreen monitor (a samsung syncmaster of some sort, this was all the way back in late 2004 or so), and vividly remember all the blacks as being grey instead, it was that washed out back then. I didn't know much about monitors at the time. I remember the old CRT before it was better, but I liked the novelty of space-saving flatscreens.