Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I like to think that eating a devil takes away its power, however that works. Maybe eating the darkness devil means people can see fine in the dark, maybe it means theres only shade and no real darkness. The madness star might entirely disappear, but maybe it just stops making kids go mad and everyone forgets that it used to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

madness star was just a really difficult level of kirby 64

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm guessing CSM is just really selective on what he eats for that reason. He's killed a lot of devils, but only seems to devour those that represent horrible concepts that shouldn't exist. The other non-death states of existence must have been real loving awful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still very funny that makima was convinced chainsaw man was a raving force of voracious chaos when he's probably the most sentimental and emotionally intelligent devil out there

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me and the boys on our way to look at the madness star

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zerilan posted:

I'm guessing CSM is just really selective on what he eats for that reason. He's killed a lot of devils, but only seems to devour those that represent horrible concepts that shouldn't exist. The other non-death states of existence must have been real loving awful.

Devils also probably can’t exist without humans so eating a concept that would result in the extinction of humans would be basically suicide.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Devils also probably can’t exist without humans so eating a concept that would result in the extinction of humans would be basically suicide.

i think the primal fears like darkness can exist without human fear because everything is scared of them, but that also makes them so hostile and alien by nature that no one really wants or asks for their opinion on the subject

chainsaw's also so strong because he's fueled by the terror of other devils in addition to humanity

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
One time Chainsaw Man ate the word "ham" and nobody could use it for a month

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
your mama so fat not even csm can erase her

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Kishibe Force: “You like eating devils do ya? Why don’t you eat all the devils you can in hell!”

Chainsaw Man:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Stairmaster posted:

madness star was just a really difficult level of kirby 64

I love how Kirby frequently goes cosmic horror in the last acts.

I do love how CSM mixes in actual historical (and contemporary) horrors with things like The Madness Star and other fates. I like to think that's why no one ever thinks "Oh drat, Denji is immortal now, that's kinda hosed up." since the idea of immortality just isn't scary anymore. I also enjoy how the concept eating coming up so late retroactively explains the USSR still existing which could have easily been brushed aside as just odd set dressing. Overall I really like how it's left kind of ambiguous since the erasure of concepts is pretty outside our ability to understand anyway so any attempts to really nail it down would quickly fall apart.

Gonna go with a hot take here and say CSM is pretty rad and I'm sorry it took the PV for me to finally sit down and binge it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It was always weird how Pochita seemed to have two personalities, Friendly internal version and Chainsaw Devil version. The version of Pochita Denji talks with seems very different from the barely vocal murderous version we see at Kobeni’s restaurant.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 1, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Inside you there are two chainsaws

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ethiser posted:

It was always weird how Pochita seemed to have two personalities, Friendly internal version and Chainsaw Devil version. The version of Pochita Denji talks with seems very different from the barely vocal murderous version we see at Kobeni’s restaurant.

does he, though? when he was chainsaw man, pochita only killed in self-defense or defense of another. kobeni called for someone to save her from the burger team, and any time one of them acted aggressive, they got beheaded. that one schmuck devil hunter challenged him at the arcade and whoops, no more head. pochita doesn't run around massacring devils or humans of his own volition, someone's got to provoke him into it

as for his speech, all those fangs must get in the way. must be hard for him

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way I took it, Denji was completely dissociated and kind of in a dream the same way Aki was.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Ethiser posted:

To be fair, even in monstrous murder mode his primary goal just seemed to be having a nice day. It's just when you're the manifestation of the fear of chainsaws, solutions to problems like annoying staff tend to be rather straight forward.
"When all you have is hammer every problem is a nail."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At the end of the day Poochita just wanted someone to hug without eviscerating them and not only is it sweet it's also a good bookend to part one because it's similar to what Denji wanted. :unsmith:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Chainsaw and Kobeni had a pretty decent date if you ignore all the murder.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God I know it's all we talk about here but I really just want to see the Family Burger bit animated

That's seriously one of the best parts, and it happens like smack dab in the middle of the climax. gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The way I took it, Denji was completely dissociated and kind of in a dream the same way Aki was.

Nah, it's Pochita in charge. He's just desperately doing everything he remembered Denji wanting in an attempt to bring his best friend back. Burger, video games, date.

It just didn't work.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When do we get more chainsaw man imo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

When do we get more chainsaw man imo

We don't know.

Fujimoto's releasing a one-shot on the 19th, but it's probably not Chainsaw Man related.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Popo posted:

While I'm here, I only just tore through the series in the last few days and while I know there's no definitive answer for what I'm about to ask since the manga left it ambiguous: Is there a general consensus on what happens when Chainsaw Man eats another Devil? Like, if he ate Power I don't imagine blood would cease to exist and if he ate Darkness I the physics of light would change so do we think it's more along the lines the fears and memories cease to exist? That whole part was just a bit confusing in what it was trying to say. Makima says the names escape even her memory only to list several examples (AIDs, Nazis) of concepts that got gobbled up in the next speech bubble. I don't mind it being weird and nebulous but I'd be interested to hear what you folks made of it.

Don’t Worry About It

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/makimasansuki/status/1411774736925814784?s=20

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/chainsaw-man-sets-himself-alight-2435708

2006 :tinfoil:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
fellas im so ready for the discourse when the anime hits

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/1414629491759005696

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anime-watchers putting up lengthy essays about how makima and denji's relationship is abusive

everyone else draws close with glassy, feral grins, saying "TELL US MORE"

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

"A point in Makima's favor - she likes dogs"

:stonklol: :shittydog: :staredog: :shittydog: :stonklol:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Eej posted:

fellas im so ready for the discourse when the anime hits

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/1414629491759005696

Can't wait for the discourse to accuse Chainsaw Man of holocaust erasure.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oxxidation posted:

does he, though? when he was chainsaw man, pochita only killed in self-defense or defense of another. kobeni called for someone to save her from the burger team, and any time one of them acted aggressive, they got beheaded. that one schmuck devil hunter challenged him at the arcade and whoops, no more head. pochita doesn't run around massacring devils or humans of his own volition, someone's got to provoke him into it

as for his speech, all those fangs must get in the way. must be hard for him

yeah the whole joke is that for all Makima played up the Chainsaw Devil as some sort of monstrous force of nature and chaos, the reality is that Makima doesn't know poo poo and he was just a nice dude who wanted to help people and give them hugs (but was only met with tragedy on account of being made of chainsaws)

like rereading it I'm not even sure he kills all of the family burger staff on purpose for being dicks, he just does it as a consequence of having a 7 ft long chainsaw coming out of his face

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pochita says as much himself. His nature as the chainsaw devil and his immense strength makes these things hard to do.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Much like it's the Control Devil's dream to "form equal relationships with others."

Is every Devil's dream the hardest thing for them to accomplish?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

darkness devil just wants a nice tan

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Scholtz posted:

Much like it's the Control Devil's dream to "form equal relationships with others."

Well, if it was easy, they wouldn't be dreaming about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scholtz posted:

power wanted to pet a cat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

power wanted to pet a cat

Bat wanted to kill all humans.

Most Devils aren't as nice as Pochita and Makima.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1415555369695211520

Fujimoto's putting out a 140(!?!)pg one-shot this Monday apparently. This makes me feel like either part 2 or the anime have gotta be right around the corner.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chiasaur11 posted:

Bat wanted to kill all humans.

Most Devils aren't as nice as Pochita and Makima.

To be fair we spend like 5 minutes around most demons, we don't know poo poo about what they might want deep down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the tomato devil has the heart of a poet, digesting somewhere in its third stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Look Back oneshot is live.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100167