Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Iron Crowned posted:

My short answer is that I do not.

Long answer is that I'm 40, I could sit here and pine over someone I haven't even seen in 22+ years because there's no point to it.
There’s a lot of room between “having positive nostalgic feelings” and “pining”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

this derail is gonna be as awesome as X-TREME cool ranch doritos

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would dare say that having a crush on someone, and seeing them regularly but not actually engaging them I'm a relationship, leaves someone with rose-colored glasses if they weren't crushed by rejection and the person just moved/faded away.

I'm also going to venture a guess that some people actually had decent relationships at that time so it's not wild to remember something like that fondly.

I mean, poo poo, listening to Sixpence None The Richer reminds me of a definite 2 month span of 10th grade revolving around Phantom Menace and The Spy Who Shagged Me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I bought my middle school crush that Madonna album from 1998 or whatever.

What I am saying is I was friend-zoned until 16.

But looking back I had a LOT of growing up to do.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i just remember how intense the feeling was back then and it makes me laugh to think of it now from my older perspective. i barely remember anything about the person other than her name and the ck1.

why hasn't this been ported to modern systems???

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's no time.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

i just remember how intense the feeling was back then and it makes me laugh to think of it now from my older perspective. i barely remember anything about the person other than her name and the ck1.

why hasn't this been ported to modern systems???

I had this game and Marble Madness on a GBA cart, if that counts as modern.
For space reasons marble madness only had the first 3 levels which was very insulting

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I'm going to make a generalized guess and say it's more likely they think back fondly on the ~*~*FiRsT LoVe*~*~ and all the hormonal fireworks that entailed, and the actual person is a little more faded in memory.

it makes their inner child get a boner

joking aside, there are definitely some scents that I can immediately place to different romantic partners throughout my life, and depending on how I’m feeling/etc it can either be a positive or a negative thing.

A few years ago I went through a looong and drawn out dissolution of an engagement after several years of cohabitating, and while I definitely super don’t want that person back, if I catch a whiff of their favorite scent somewhere it can occasionally make me really sad in a really powerful way.

I don’t even necessarily remember them in a concrete way, but it just like physically puts me back in grief/trauma mode, and suddenly I’m like really depressed inside a Nordstrom.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Killingyouguy! posted:

I had this game and Marble Madness on a GBA cart, if that counts as modern.
For space reasons marble madness only had the first 3 levels which was very insulting

That's as far as anyone ever got in that game anyway

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

this derail is gonna be as awesome as X-TREME cool ranch doritos

But will it be as Xtreme as

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"what's your superhero name?"
"Tyler"
"...oh."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's a super responsible captain, though.

Not like his loser cousin.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

loving dorks. every time you saw someone on a skateboard or rollerblades in the 90s on tv or an ad or whatver, they were always fully padded up. I can understand if you were doing some crazy stunts or something, but just scootin' down the street? Yea you don't need to look like your competing in the X games.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Helmet, wrist, and knee pads arent unseasonable for skating around your neighborhood and should be worn.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, poo poo, listening to Sixpence None The Richer reminds me of a definite 2 month span of 10th grade revolving around Phantom Menace and The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Sixpence just reminds me of my first girlfriend, she loved that band a lot. We still talk occasionally, but we were never really compatible honestly.
Heck that describes like all of my relationships lol.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

twistedmentat posted:

loving dorks. every time you saw someone on a skateboard or rollerblades in the 90s on tv or an ad or whatver, they were always fully padded up. I can understand if you were doing some crazy stunts or something, but just scootin' down the street? Yea you don't need to look like your competing in the X games.

Newbies on skates really need padding way more than experienced people (casually) doing aggressive stuff, since they're more prone to falls and don't know how to avoid being hurt.
Everyone needs to ditch those lovely wrist protection that will snap your forearm clean instead, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The funniest part about this goober is that he was apparently supposed to be the long-lost third brother of main X-Men characters Cyclops and Havok, until they actually made a long-lost third brother in 2005. Now the dude is just this weird skin tag on the franchise.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Please tell me he has a futuristic SHREDBOARD he travels with.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No but now I'm reminded of Dwayne McDuffie's GOAT memo to Marvel editorial in 1989 (shut up gonna count it):

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It might not be xtreme, but it's MARVEL EDGE DOUBLE EDGE OVER THE EDGE YEAH!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vandar posted:

It might not be xtreme, but it's MARVEL EDGE DOUBLE EDGE OVER THE EDGE YEAH!

Wasn't this the event where the Punisher was finally caught and executed for his crimes, only to have him reappear a few years later as a dead dude with angel guns?

Fake edit: It didn't happen until the early aughts, but nothing in my mind is more 90s than basically turning the Punisher into The Crow.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

You know those swords that are like double swords, you know?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

How in the actual gently caress have i never noticed the double blade

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"Within the context of the stories, Adam X is a half-human and half-Shi'ar who possesses the mutant ability to ignite the oxygen in another person's blood."

So..um...the point of the swords is just for fighting stuff that doesn't have blood?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That dude's design is what terminally uncool people think is "raw and edgy".
Wait wait wait... how the gently caress do you ignite oxygen molecules inside someone's blood? That makes no loving sense.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

That's xmen Jay. The speech bubble that says "Snoogens" is just out of frame. laughing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

So..um...the point of the swords is just for fighting stuff that doesn't have blood?
Late 80s/Early 90s X-Men had a massive boner for new characters who were badass soldiers/mercenaries/ninjas/cyborgs but also had a mutant power-- Cable, Bishop, Shatterstar, Psylocke's Boob Ninja body swap, Gambit to a degree, and of course Adam X.

Very classic case of kids fat on the cultural diet Ronald Reagan fed them who didn't see any reason why you couldn't have it all, all at once.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

deoju posted:

You know those swords that are like double swords, you know?

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

How in the actual gently caress have i never noticed the double blade

I feel like I'm having a stroke, what are y'all seeing that I'm not? Is it that thing in the braided part of his hair?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Ironhead posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke, what are y'all seeing that I'm not? Is it that thing in the braided part of his hair?

Yeah, the blade to hilt connection looks skewed 90 degrees, but I think that's just bad 90s art and not like, a cross shaped blade. Color me mystified too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ironhead posted:

Look at the hilt/base. You can see the blades are offset. That's the only way I could tell it wasn't a sabre with a blood gutter or whatever.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I like the commitment to the comic trope of refusing to ever draw feet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Double swords were a thing in 90s Marvel. Here's a link to an action figure with one.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/51619

Edit: pretty sure that's the same character that Mr Xtreme beat up in that image.

deoju has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jul 1, 2021

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Ironhead posted:

the sword (pronounced: sword) has two blades parallel to each other and are attached to the hilt stupidly.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

deoju posted:

Double swords were a thing in 90s Marvel. Here's a link to an action figure with one.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/51619

Edit: pretty sure that's the same character that Mr Xtreme beat up in that image.

That’s the same sword that Mutant Dan Cortese is holding on the cover up there, so I’m guessing he stol’d it from the guy he beat up, or the character designer has no imagination and he has identical swords. Neither of these scenarios are implausible.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

That’s the same sword that Mutant Dan Cortese is holding on the cover up there, so I’m guessing he stol’d it from the guy he beat up, or the character designer has no imagination and he has identical swords. Neither of these scenarios are implausible.

Yeah, that's Shatterstar on the ground and Adam-X beat him up with his own show to show how Xtreme he was. The double sword was something to do with causing extra bloody wounds since Shatterstar is from a reality TV gladiator universe.

Also of note, Shatterstar is his own grandfather.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wasn't this the event where the Punisher was finally caught and executed for his crimes, only to have him reappear a few years later as a dead dude with angel guns?

Fake edit: It didn't happen until the early aughts, but nothing in my mind is more 90s than basically turning the Punisher into The Crow.

Garth Ennis did some mixed things with that character, but I like how he acknowledged that with something like "was dead for a while, didn't like it" and never brought it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Disco Pope posted:

Garth Ennis did some mixed things with that character, but I like how he acknowledged that with something like "was dead for a while, didn't like it" and never brought it up again.

I loved that first mini series he did, but I haven't read it since it came out, and since being a teen, I've cooled down a lot on ennis. Not sure I particularly care to go back to it.