Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Copernic posted:

The amount of people unloading on Neon Yang is INSANE and hosed UP. These are all people acting on the principle that it was very bad when a twitter mob drove a mentally fragile trans person nearly to suicide. And they're doing the exact same thing to Yang! No one has learned anything.

E: Eventually someone in the YA or other literary world is going to do something somewhat bad, and then twitter will descend, and then that person is going to commit suicide. Its just a matter of time.

It's cool that these people drove a woman to detransition, made a bunch of "well who can say who was really wrong" posts refusing to cop to their transmisogyny, and then have you all coming to paint them as the victims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/itsneonyang/status/1410406689556209670

Lol

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Stop.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You appear to have chosen the tweets in that whole thread which make Neon Yang appear in the absolute worst light possible?

This thread seems like it has to be getting linked from several feuding discord channels or something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Please stop. Nothing will be helped by destroying more people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

so does anyone have matt stover opinions then?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StashAugustine posted:

I loved the two Barra the Pict (Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon) books and I was disappointed more didn't get written in that series or at least world.

I loved The Acts of Caine (Heroes Die, etc.) but I freely acknowledge it is 90s as gently caress in simultaneously the best and worst ways.

His Star Wars books were fine (well, Revenge of the Sith is better than the movie, but that wasn't that hard).

If he got canceled, I missed it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StashAugustine posted:

I hope he's all right, since I don't think's published anything in 5+ years.

The Caine books got me hooked on Sci-Fi & Fantasy (literally both :thumbsup:) at a time in college where I had pretty much lost interest in reading for fun. Really got hooked on them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

No, I was just asking about the Pict books last page and wanted to make sure it got seen lol. I'll have to hunt down copies sometime then

E: some good news I got pointed to a bit back:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MWStover/status/1393899958940704771

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 1, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I loved Heroes Die, and actually found out about it thanks to one of this thread’s prior incarnations.

What do you guys think of the followup? I started it, but thought it was absurdly slow compared to the first one and put it down.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

fritz posted:

RE: nonbinary authors, Raphael Carter in the 90s had one book (which I haven't read) and this short piece: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_Agenesis_of_Gender_Ideation which is something that's really stuck in my brain over the years, plus the "Androgyny RAQ (Rarely Asked Questions)" (https://web.archive.org/web/20150321072424/https://practicalandrogyny.com/raq/); I don't know how influential it was but it was there.

(quantumfoam might have seen zir name from SFL)

Raphael Carter's The Fortunate Fall is excellent. If the opening bit I've put below intrigues you, give it a go. Sadly, it's out of print - I had to buy my copy secondhand.

Raphael Carter - The Fortunate Fall posted:

The whale, the traitor; the note she left me and the run-in with the Post police; and how I felt about her and what she turned out to be—all this you know. I suppose I can't complain. I knew the risks when I became a camera. If you see something important enough, your thoughts become a coveted commodity: they steal your memories and sell them tied in twine. Now you may find my life for sale in certain stalls, on dusty street and twisting alleyway; it is available on moistdisk, opticube, and dryROM. There are places on the Net where you can make a copy free, although the colors may have faded to sepia and the passions to pastel. You have taken my memories and slotted them into your head. And you have played them through, reclining on a futon in some neon-streaked apartment, reliving my every sensation and thought from the hour underground with the whale.

If you paid extra for the moistdisk, you have more than just that hour. You can peer around each thought to see the memories implied in it, the way you'd turn a hologram to see what lies behind the rose. You can freeze-frame at the moment I first saw the whale, and follow the associations back—to the argument over Moby-Dick the night before; to the first time Voskresenye said the word, in the cafe on Nevsky Prospect; to the dolphins that made me clutch my mother's hand with fear, at the amusement park when I was six years old. You have searched me and known me: and when at last you put the disk away, you thought of my mind as a sucked orange, dry of secrets.

But what you saw, heard, touched, remembered, does not quite exhaust my meanings. With the moistdisk in your head, however bristled you may be with sockets, what you see is only the moment of experience, frozen forever. It excludes any later reflections upon the event—as the hologram of a rose in bloom excludes the flower's swollen ripening and black decay.

I will give you my thoughts since that time, but not on moist-disk. I will not let you explore the twining pathways of my thoughts as I explore them—not again. I will hide instead behind this wall of words, and I will conceal what I choose to conceal. I will tell you the story in order, as you'd tell a story to a stranger who knows nothing of it: for you are not my friend, and what you know is far less than you think you know. You will read my life in phosphors on a screen, or glowing letters scrolling up the inside of your eye. And when you reach the end, you will lie down again in your indifferent dark apartment, with the neon splashing watercolor blues across your face, and you will know a little less about me than you did before.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Moistdisk? :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

twitter: it's not good, folks

General Battuta posted:

Please stop. Nothing will be helped by destroying more people.

Yeah, I don't want to shut down productive discussions but maybe it's time we all just moved on and talked about other topics if that's ok.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey sooooo anyone listen to any good audiobooks lately? I just finished up Project Hail Mary, the latest Martha Wells and Becky Chambers, and The Blacktongue Thief. Can't figure out where to go next.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey sooooo anyone listen to any good audiobooks lately? I just finished up Project Hail Mary, the latest Martha Wells and Becky Chambers, and The Blacktongue Thief. Can't figure out where to go next.

Follow Me to Ground by Sue Rainsford was an absolute treasure in audiobook form. The narrator got the wild, small-town weird feel of it just right and I think I enjoyed it more because it was an audiobook than if I'd read it.

e: I'm also still listening to Rob Inglis' Lord of the Rings, which is amazingly good. I feel like I'm sitting in front of a fire listening to my grandpa read a story to me before bed. Well, my fictional grandpa. My real grandpa only read the bible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm on track to finishing a manuscript by the end of July and the absolute cataclysm of Internet-brained stupidity that is Book Twitter makes me wonder if I'm completely insane to be entertaining any thought of wading out into that morass.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

BurningBeard posted:

I loved Heroes Die, and actually found out about it thanks to one of this thread’s prior incarnations.

What do you guys think of the followup? I started it, but thought it was absurdly slow compared to the first one and put it down.

i loved the rest of the series but they're very odd.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Why would you have to? Let your story loose and move on. Publishing under a pen name is a good move though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I'm on track to finishing a manuscript by the end of July and the absolute cataclysm of Internet-brained stupidity that is Book Twitter makes me wonder if I'm completely insane to be entertaining any thought of wading out into that morass.

https://twitter.com/susie_c/status/963201763149950977

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Both Gideon the Ninth and Harrow the Ninth are amazingly narrated.

The Nightvale books (It Devours and Welcome to Nightvale) are both pretty good, although I may have enjoyed the narration more because the narrator is the same as the one from the podcast.

Depending on how you feel about Neil Gaiman, he performs his own books The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Neverwhere which are excellent. The audiobook version of American Gods is well-done too, but not narrated by him.

One of my favorites is Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching series. That narrator goes full bore with the accents for the Nac Mac Feegles and it is wonderful.

There is also a full thread on audiobooks, on mobile so I can’t really link right now.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Mrenda posted:

After thinking about this for the past thirty minutes I'll just accept the Attack Helicopter story isn't for me. For a trans person who's dealing with ideas and questions around performance, validity and reinforcements of your identity, I guess it could be really helpful.

Maybe I was hoping for something that would explore my own thoughts on identities, which I do think the story asked about at the end. And that could be what made me disappointed. Not that it never dealt with what I think about, but that it got to the point of asking those questions but never resolving them.

All in all, I just hope the author comes out of an absolute baptism of fire as well as they can.

Just wanted to say that your back and forth on this was super interesting and I wish there was more posting like this in the thread.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

neongrey posted:

i loved the rest of the series but they're very odd.

The second one was super gross (oozing sores from top to bottom) and basically killed my interest in the series, which was very high after the first book.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

Just wanted to say that your back and forth on this was super interesting and I wish there was more posting like this in the thread.

Likewise.

As far as Blade goes, I’ll just consider it a good skip then. I liked the dystopic poo poo as a background rather than the main draw. I felt like the first one ended in a mostly satisfactory way.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 2, 2021

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Speaking of SF/F books, Angry Robot is having a sale on all their ebooks this weekend!

https://twitter.com/angryrobotbooks/status/1410614196417437700?s=19

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

I think there were three in all? I liked them overall, but it's a clear case that none of the books improves on the one before.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DreamingofRoses posted:

One of my favorites is Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching series. That narrator goes full bore with the accents for the Nac Mac Feegles and it is wonderful.

The Tiffany Aching series is some of his best stuff. You really can't go wrong with a protagonist who, at age 9, discovers a few monster luring in the creek, stakes her little brother out as bait, and then bashes the monster with a cast iron frying pan. It's one of the best growing up and coming of age series out there.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

genericnick posted:

I think there were three in all? I liked them overall, but it's a clear case that none of the books improves on the one before.

Four total. I disagree about the quality dropping but with how the series goes off the rails I'm also not going to really fight for it in that sense.

I feel like the best way to describe the series as a whole is as about struggling with toxic masculinity while also being deeply, deeply poisoned by it, and that's something that makes them hard to recommend to a lot of people. They are very frustrated books, I think.

Now I just wanna reread em all with an eye to how I've got a different view of my own gender since the first time I read them...

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Blood of Elves (Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00276HAEY/

Dragon Keeper (Rain Wilds #1) by Robin Hobb - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00338QEUG/

The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/

Darkdawn (Nevernight Chronicle #3) by Jay Kristoff - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DWH5XV/

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

FewtureMD posted:

Speaking of SF/F books, Angry Robot is having a sale on all their ebooks this weekend!

https://twitter.com/angryrobotbooks/status/1410614196417437700?s=19

Any books in particular worth checking out?

pradmer posted:

The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/

This is a-ok, very much in the vein of Six of Crows or other "magical heist, rapscallion main character, assortment of variously aligned companions" books. I ended up kind of losing momentum partway through the third, but not bad!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Between Two Fires is getting a special edition release. This cover is definitely better than the original but it’s still a bit weird... like if they had gone a bit more painterly and a bit less photorealistic on the faces that’d be nice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buehlmeister/status/1411306552447979521

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

foutre posted:

Any books in particular worth checking out?

This is a-ok, very much in the vein of Six of Crows or other "magical heist, rapscallion main character, assortment of variously aligned companions" books. I ended up kind of losing momentum partway through the third, but not bad!

I really liked Jay Posey's outrider series, if you like small squad military scifi about backed up special forces soldiers.

He is a video games writer so it has a story to set piece cycle but it's better than most in that genre.

Embedded by Dan Abnett of Warhammer and comics fame is not bad about an embedded journalist riding a soldier in combat via a neural implant.

Tim Pratt isn't bad and Kameron Hurley is published by them too now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

Between Two Fires is getting a special edition release. This cover is definitely better than the original but it’s still a bit weird... like if they had gone a bit more painterly and a bit less photorealistic on the faces that’d be nice.

yeah it rather undersells the times in that book where we actually see proper demons appear and basically tear reality with how horrible they are

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I like that book

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ccs posted:

guess this is a good excuse to get a hard copy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Between Two Fires is also excellent in audiobook form, since we're on both topics!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Orconomics by J Zachary Pike - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2NDJ2M/

How Long 'til Black Future Month? by NK Jemisin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Orconomics and its sequel are both great.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m making my way through The Belly of the Bow, the second in KJ Parker’s Fencer trilogy. As his understanding of fencing felt very convincing in the first book, the second makes banking and bow making very credible. To compare again to Abercrombie, The First Law likes to play with the idea of banks as horrible engines of oppression, but the means of how they do so is vague. It’s basically, they hit people with loans with bad interest rates. Parker understands banking to a greater degree and so his explanation of how a bank can end up running a country and a war doesn’t feel like a smug comment on “oh capitalism wants endless war” but rather reads as specific to the situation. There’s a much more thorough presentation of the interaction between trade, competition, interest rates, foreign exchange, and markets.

Most of the loving detail is surrounding bows and banks, as it’s lacking in terms of painting a picture of the world. I can not distinguish Scona from Shastel from the Island without being told that’s where the characters are. Everything just seems to happen in the same sort of dreary landscapes with the occasional fancy marble building. It’s not that the narrative lacks scene description, but none of the setting has much atmosphere aside from “here’s a place with some trees and mud where people are going to do petty things that will probably get a lot of folks killed.”

The City in the previous book had much better imagery. I’m hoping we get off these islands in the next book and on to somewhere more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

neongrey posted:

Four total. I disagree about the quality dropping but with how the series goes off the rails I'm also not going to really fight for it in that sense.

I feel like the best way to describe the series as a whole is as about struggling with toxic masculinity while also being deeply, deeply poisoned by it, and that's something that makes them hard to recommend to a lot of people. They are very frustrated books, I think.

Now I just wanna reread em all with an eye to how I've got a different view of my own gender since the first time I read them...
Any chance you could elaborate on this if you feel like it (no obligation)? I only read the first one, and that was a million years ago, but I'm curious for more details.