Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wait what thread am i in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha far out, I'm glad she's OK at least! :D Speaking of sliding doors, is it normal for greys to try and squeeze through smaller gaps than they can reasonably fit through? Since Opal just rushes through opening sliding doors every time. I always block it with my leg so she can't, but my partner's not quite so proactive with that, so Opal semi-frequently bangs her side/hip/shoulder as she comes inside, which isn't great.

Also, regarding bug talk, my hounds aren't concerned - both try catching all the flies they can, then realise they're gross, but keep trying to catch more. Taz is reasonable at it, but Opal's a real deadeye - she just snaps them out of the air like nobody's business!

Also, I was watching Bordertown on Netflix (Finnish show) and found out that Tazo seems to be really keen on people talking (or yelling, that kind of thing) in Finnish! He was paying attention to nearly a full episode last night, which was quite humorous to see. :D For proof, here's a photo of him sitting on his old boy armchair, watching attentively:

You sure his eyes aren’t closed? :allears:

Yeah our girl has NO manners when it comes to doors. She has to be first through and will push past. Not sure if it’s an ex-racer thing or her intense shyness.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

wait what thread am i in

Hey, I'm allowed to have nerdy hobbies and noodle dogs at the same time.

But yeah, I don't like any of those yellows either, but I think the point he was trying to make is that experimentation is key.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The face of dog who does not care about screaming.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

The face of dog who does not care about screaming.

That's because he's already screaming inside with existential horror. Or the need for snacks. Also, I absolutely adore his growing white glasses.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Don't say that he is absolutely no more gray than when we got him and he is going to live forever :colbert:

Today

July 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
There are some seriously cute puppers ITT, who all need their snooters booped

Also, Opal has definitely mastered the art of looking as miserable, pathetic and downtrodden as possible, as part of an act to get more food and attention than Taz.
Why, I'm tempted to give her a treat after merely looking at this! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holy poo poo feed that starving skeleton at once she clearly hasn’t had any love or attention ever, EVER

(Amazing photo! I have never seen a dog that sad before)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That is one sad dog

Katie maybe looked more wilted than that when she was sick, but she was obviously legitimately ill

Katie is also REALLY fed up with not being allowed to run. She’s done some zoomies inside which is extra dangerous now that there’s moving boxes everywhere.

Also the only reaction I’ve gotten from Katie with the TV was fleeing when I was watching a Miyazaki movie. No anime for this girl!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Also, Opal has definitely mastered the art of looking as miserable, pathetic and downtrodden as possible, as part of an act to get more food and attention than Taz.

I can't believe the hardships in this dog's life

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Major Isoor posted:

Clearly she is abused.

Seriously, never let these dogs near any person from a rescue society or they will all be taken from us.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

every greyhound after a hard day of napping on favourite blanket, playing with their 4 best toys, many treats and food and hours of belly rubs:

*lies down on the floor and emits a minute-long sigh*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bad news everyone, sparty will be going into surgery soon

He's been a little off his normally voracious appetite the past couple weeks and we've been trying to figure it out. Cookie was also acting weird so we thought it was something to do with the new bag of (same brand) dog food we got around then, or that they'd eaten cicadas, or the hunk of steak fat we gave them made their regular food unappetizing. So we've been trying different foods, wet and dry, as well as cooking some. He was more enthusiastic about these and seemed back to normal, but then the other day he didn't even want to finish his wet food at first and was acting lethargic.

We took him in for bloodwork and it came back normal, and he was back to acting mostly himself by the evening. We still took him in for an ultrasound in case it was pancreatitis.

Instead they discovered a heavily vascularised mass on his spleen. Either it's a hematoma or a hemangiasarcoma, but regardless there's a risk it could rupture at any time. Apparently these are usually discovered when the dog collapses and starts bleeding internally.

Best case, it's a hematoma (just a bunch of blood vessels that went kinda haywire) and they do a splenectomy and he's fine. Worse is if it's a sarcoma (cancer), then they can try to excise it and give him chemo, but median survival is three months with nine being longest likely. Worst case, it's metastasized and when they get in there they decide there's nothing they can do. With this latter one chances of post-op recovery is basically nil and he'd be suffering the entire time, so vet recommendation was to euthanize if it was the case. There's no easy way to tell until they're in there.

We're understandably pretty devastated and worried. We transferred to another office with more facilities in case he needs emergency blood, like if it ruptured in the course of removing it. He's getting his vitals taken now, and they said they would start the operation as soon as possible. There's some good sign in that his blood work didn't show elevated white blood cell which might indicate cancer, but it's by no means a guarantee.

Anyway just wanted to let everyone know. Hopefully I get to spam you with many more pictures for years to come. Cuddle your noodles for me like I have when others went through this

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Wow, that is some 10/10 suffering right there. Does she whine as well, or is it a completely silent sadness?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sparty :cry: crossing literally everything that it’s treatable or, better, benign and removable

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Sparty :ohdear:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Bad news everyone, sparty will be going into surgery soon

Holding thumbs for the best result. Hearing that your dog may have cancer is the worst feeling in the world. Do you have a set date for the surgery?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Holding thumbs for the best result. Hearing that your dog may have cancer is the worst feeling in the world. Do you have a set date for the surgery?

Today or tomorrow, literally as soon as one opens up since it's that urgent. The only reason he's not in right now is because he's stable. It's basically like an aneurysm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear about this :smith:

HANG IN THERE SPARTY!!!!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sparty you are an extremely good and goofy dog and we all love you to bits- you can do it! We will see you soon!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sparty! :ohdear: You have a thread full of internet randos rooting for you

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's going into surgery now. They let us hug and kiss him and take him for a short walk and take a pawprint and love on him before going in.

He apparently was charming them trying to giving his paw to anyone around :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i can only imagine the knots your stomach must be in :( the unknown is the worst

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

Sparty! :ohdear: You have a thread full of internet randos rooting for you

Yes totally this! Thinking of your guys. :ohdear:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Out of surgery, it apparently went fast and well.

Biopsy results will probably take a week but it seems the mass didn't obviously spread. Still hoping it's a hematoma and not a sarcoma.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hugging our hound and thinking of you guys. I know we're all just internet strangers but I hope it all works out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Be okay, Sparty!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks so much for your support, it really means a lot even if you are all internet strangers :v:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 3, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This thread is a bright light in dark times and a window into owning the strangest of dogs. I treasure it, and Sparty had BETTER be okay!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, poor Sparty! I really hope he's ok, and this all blows over :ohdear:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Haha that is a very familiar look.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Be strong, Sparty! I hope they caught it and he'll be all right.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Out of surgery, it apparently went fast and well.

Biopsy results will probably take a week but it seems the mass didn't obviously spread. Still hoping it's a hematoma and not a sarcoma.

That's positive news! If it were up to the internet and this forum, all of our dogs would be immortal through the will of strangers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

That's positive news! If it were up to the internet and this forum, all of our dogs would be immortal through the will of strangers.

What do you mean "if", all my pets are gonna live forever :colbert:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update: sparty is home and very sad to be a lamp

Poor guy couldn't get comfortable so we're removing the cone when someone is watching him so he can rest. We also bought a soft cone for when we can't ($60 lol)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

soft cones are a fantastic QoL upgrade for your sick doggo, highly recommend them

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

jesus WEP posted:

soft cones are a fantastic QoL upgrade for your sick doggo, highly recommend them

This. I've found they're easier to get the right tightness too. You can also try putting an old-t-shirt on him instead if he's still restless and you're around to watch him.

Feel better, Sparty!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We tried a soft one at the vet a month or two back but our girl could still get to her wound, but maybe that was just because it was on her back leg?

But yeah they super expensive! :homebrew:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We use a muzzle with a poop guard because we can't find a cone that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah when I still worked in surgery that was always a pain in the rear end with sight hounds and finding an e-collar that would fit. Anything that fits around the neck correctly is too short for the snoot and anything long enough for the snoot would slide off their heads. :argh: