Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

Oh poo poo, Tatami Galaxy is my favorite anime of all time, but my friends aren't sub watchers and I'm scared they'll be put off by the speed lmao. I actually haven't watched Kaiba myself, so maybe I'll see if Tatami works out, and if not, switch to Kaiba.

In that case both Devilman Crybaby and Ping Pong have dubs if they absolutely don't wanna watch something subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

That Works posted:

As much as I absolutely loved Tatami and Ping Pong I just can't seem to get into Kaiba. Never made it halfway through an ep yet really. I need to give it another try

It's been a while, but I remember not really appreciating Kaiba until I got pretty far into it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'm all out of the good ghibli and looking for more anime to watch. I like relatively chill stuff. Things i've enjoyed includes like tatami galaxy, tokyo godfathers and some of satoshi kon's other stuff (though maybe 'chill' is the wrong word for those), planetes, mushishi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mila kunis posted:

I'm all out of the good ghibli and looking for more stuff to watch. I like relatively chill stuff. Stuff i've enjoyed includes like tatami galaxy, tokyo godfathers and some of satoshi kon's other stuff (though maybe 'chill' is the wrong word for those), planetes, mushishi.
kino tabi 2003, yuru camp, natsume yuujinchou?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mila kunis posted:

I'm all out of the good ghibli and looking for more anime to watch. I like relatively chill stuff. Things i've enjoyed includes like tatami galaxy, tokyo godfathers and some of satoshi kon's other stuff (though maybe 'chill' is the wrong word for those), planetes, mushishi.

Ping Pong if you haven't already.

March Comes in Like a Lion.
Run Like the Wind if sports stuff is at all interesting
Silver Spoon

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

You've gotten some good recs already, but if you're in the mood for something a little more downbeat, I think Girls' Last Tour is exceptional and a bit overlooked.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

mila kunis posted:

Time of Eve

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Time of Eve

This is a good recommendation in general. The movie version's a little better than the ONA series, as it's got a little more interstitial content to tie all six episodes together (though it's still pretty easy to tell you're looking at a compilation film), and has an English dub if that's your preference.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Since you liked Tatami Galaxy you should definitely hit up The Night is Short, Walk on Girl.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
thank you all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fauxbot posted:

have there been any yuri animes in the vein of Citrus in the last few years? have a soft spot for that style but haven't seen any news on anything noteworthy

Adachi and Shimamura was waaaaay more grounded and less pervy but still follows the stereotypical arc of "Girl realizes she's gay but can't work up the courage to do something about it." It's also really cute so that helps.

While I'm here - I just binged Eighty Six and it broke my brain. Can I get something light and wholesome with a lot of episodes to fill the hole in my heart?

Similar to: Nichijou, Aggretsuko, Daily lives of highschool boys

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

KillHour posted:

Adachi and Shimamura was waaaaay more grounded and less pervy but still follows the stereotypical arc of "Girl realizes she's gay but can't work up the courage to do something about it." It's also really cute so that helps.

While I'm here - I just binged Eighty Six and it broke my brain. Can I get something light and wholesome with a lot of episodes to fill the hole in my heart?

Similar to: Nichijou, Aggretsuko, Daily lives of highschool boys

Gintama, which has several hundred eps and a similar style of humor to Nichibros.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
adashima is okay but if you watch it don't expect the main relationship to hit literally any kind of major progression by the end of what's been adapted unless the relationship you're thinking of is the two side character girls

the pace of adashima is uh, not anime adaptation-friendly

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

read the books tho

they're licensed (and also have good fan TLs) and incredibly good if you have any patience at all for slowburns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if i'm watching ghost in the shell for the first time do i want the original 1995 version or the 2008 updated version that i'd never heard of until just now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

if i'm watching ghost in the shell for the first time do i want the original 1995 version or the 2008 updated version that i'd never heard of until just now

1995 version. 2008 adds lovely CGI.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had never heard of 2.0 so I googled it to see if the CGI was really that bad and wow, it really was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not only is the GC horrible they use for 'iconic' scenes, utterly ruining them in the process, including the Major diving which is probably my favourite scene in the movie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah basically none of 2.0's "additions" are actually like. necessary or add anything. like the cg in innocence works cause it's used for lots of weird perspective shots and stuff, but the original movie is perfectly fine as-is

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's basically this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ninjewtsu posted:

Just keep in mind that while I still think the first ghost in the shell film is good, by far the best adaptation of the source material is the GiTS:Stand Alone Complex. You should avoid the later series, they are really really bad. The prequel *major dumb plot spoilers* has some of the main cast part of a terrorist group attacking the city since there was a cover-up about their reason for massacring a bunch of children. they still actually massacred the children, but it was "justified". Personally, I don't even think the original manga is good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought Arise was its own thing and not an actual prequel to SAC.

I wanna know when the second half of 2045 is coming out since it ended right when it started feeling like the Complex episodes of SAC. The first couple episodes were a bit rough but when the dub came out it was a lot easier to follow. I feel the CGI would have also been better received if they just started off in Japan instead of the ugly-rear end American southwest. The forest scenery in Kyoto in the last couple episodes was real pretty, I thought.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki blow rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But they're the go-to guys for jank AF CGI animoos.

Blade Runner Black Lotus is gonna suck so hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Works posted:

It's basically this.
don't threaten me with a good time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought Arise was its own thing and not an actual prequel to SAC.

yeah, it's an AU but regularly gets SAC imposed on it. :shrug:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Do I need to know much about Gundam in order to enjoy that Gundam Hathaway thing on Netflix?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Do I need to know much about Gundam in order to enjoy that Gundam Hathaway thing on Netflix?

It wouldn't hurt to watch some stuff in advance because it's tied to characters that go all the way back to the original Gundam series but it would probably be OK without it although certain people showing up etc might seem far less meaningful.

You could try watching the Char's Counterattack movie (also on netflix in the US right now) which this is an indirect sequel of.

I'm a huge fan of the UC timeline stuff (original gundam, Zeta gundam, bunch of other series, Char's Counterattack etc). If you think you'd like it check out Gundam The Origin (6 OVA's iirc) and then probably the original series (good parts, but very dated, sometimes in a fun way though).

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Chas McGill posted:

Shockingly little. You could probably go in cold. Just in case, here’s everything the film doesn’t clearly explain itself:

About 100 years ago humanity began colonizing space, with all the inequity and exploitation “colonizing” implies. About 50 years before the movie, a new philosophy got popular saying humanity’s future is in space. Once Earth is left behind, people will become more perceptive, intuitive, and empathetic; and the planet can heal. Twelve years before the movie, a guy preaching his own twist on that idea tried to force it by dropping asteroids until Earth was uninhabitable. During the final battle of his rebellion, a young teen stole a mobile suit to bring a girl in from the fighting, who had gotten herself involved way above her head. Now he’s 12 years older and having a political thriller adventure in a world of climate crisis, refugee crackdowns, and self-interested government elites. Also, “Gundam” is best understood as a marketing term the arms manufacturer uses to designate a top of the line model meant to showcase their latest tech.

While I agree seeing Chars Counterattack first would improve Hathaway, it’s much less accessible than Hathaway is. Maybe watching in reverse order might actually be better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

General Ironicus posted:

While I agree seeing Chars Counterattack first would improve Hathaway, it’s much less accessible than Hathaway is. Maybe watching in reverse order might actually be better.

Yeah that's a good point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

so long as you know a bunch of other giant robot stuff happened previously you can probably fill in the blanks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think it’s fine as a stand alone but you’ll get much more texture out of it knowing other gundam things. Watch it, it doesn’t really spoil anything (except that’s it’s very well done and not all of gundam is)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm not completely new to Gundam - I've seen the first 5 or so eps of the original series and the Thunderbolt movie. I couldn't really get in the former, but loved the latter. I'll give Hathaway a shot!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I'm not completely new to Gundam - I've seen the first 5 or so eps of the original series and the Thunderbolt movie. I couldn't really get in the former, but loved the latter. I'll give Hathaway a shot!

Check out Origin for sure then. I liked it as much as Thunderbolt

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

That Works posted:

Check out Origin for sure then. I liked it as much as Thunderbolt

I'm starting with Origin cos it's available to stream on Channel 4 here.

Thanks for all the responses. I find the Gundam milieu a bit overwhelming.

General Ironicus posted:

About 100 years ago humanity began colonizing space, with all the inequity and exploitation “colonizing” implies. About 50 years before the movie, a new philosophy got popular saying humanity’s future is in space. Once Earth is left behind, people will become more perceptive, intuitive, and empathetic; and the planet can heal. Twelve years before the movie, a guy preaching his own twist on that idea tried to force it by dropping asteroids until Earth was uninhabitable. During the final battle of his rebellion, a young teen stole a mobile suit to bring a girl in from the fighting, who had gotten herself involved way above her head. Now he’s 12 years older and having a political thriller adventure in a world of climate crisis, refugee crackdowns, and self-interested government elites. Also, “Gundam” is best understood as a marketing term the arms manufacturer uses to designate a top of the line model meant to showcase their latest tech.
I somehow missed this earlier, but I appreciate the context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam is slightly less overwhelming once you know you can cut down and focus on certain series in different continuities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea gundam absolutely isn't as overwhelming as it looks at first blush. there's a single sequential series set in the Universal Century (0079 -> Zeta -> Char's Counterattack -> Hathaway's Flash) a bunch of stuff in the Universal Century that isn't directly connected to that, and then a bunch of completely standalone series that you can just watch on their own with no prior knowledge that don't tie into anything else because they're entirely separate universes from both UC and each other.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Endorph posted:

and then a bunch of completely standalone series that you can just watch on their own with no prior knowledge that don't tie into anything else because they're entirely separate universes

I'm gonna go search YouTube for a 5 minute supercut of kids starting a computer and saying "what's GUNDAM?!?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I don't mean this as a diss but Gundam does have a bit of "seen one, seen 'em all" to their series thanks to recurring motifs as well as codifying a lot of the pillars of the real robot genre. If you're already familiar with one or two "war" mecha series made after 1980 you'll find Gundam easy to pick up since it is the well that all those shows draw from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm gonna go search YouTube for a 5 minute supercut of kids starting a computer and saying "what's GUNDAM?!?"

I have a much better video to explain things for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE