Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Total War guys might be looking for a new property once they're done with Warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Armauk posted:

There's an entire marketing campaign happening behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw stuff beyond a miniatures game, like video games, merchandise, sponsorships with fast food compamies, etc. The idea to get as many normies on the WoT train as possible, pitching it as Amazon's response to GoT.

I would kind of expect a marketing campaign to be most effective in front of the scenes, tbh. Their hype machine so far has been garbage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Armauk posted:

There's an entire marketing campaign happening behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw stuff beyond a miniatures game, like video games, merchandise, sponsorships with fast food compamies, etc. The idea to get as many normies on the WoT train as possible, pitching it as Amazon's response to GoT.

Good; we all know Game of Thrones got markedly better once they started chasing the moms and NFL players demographic

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol im reading one of the interviews with those clowns

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188190209583800326

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188191274773426176

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188193290295885824

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188194068116979713

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188195843159015424

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198257207468033

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198873195601920

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188199326150995968

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A lot of that... doesn't make sense to me? I seem to recall GRRM basically asking D&D who they thought was Jon's mother is, and they must have had a good answer for GRRM to give them the rights to make the show. He's said he's been approached in the past where people wanted to cut things, focus on a smaller set of characters or didn't seem to know enough so he never brought ASOIAF to the screen sooner.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He also said that he would write more than one book a decade and we're about a week from that not being true.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

again, a notable advantage that wheel of time has is that the series is actually complete. whether that will come to be relevant remains to be seen!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Johnny Joestar posted:

again, a notable advantage that wheel of time has is that the series is actually complete. whether that will come to be relevant remains to be seen!

And the person hand-picked by the original author, with access to all of his notes and extensive conversations about how it should end/motivations of characters/things that had to be tied up etc. is still around as well. If it does well enough, maybe we'll get the Mat/Tuon going back to Seanchan thing Jordan said he would have liked to do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seaborgium posted:

And the person hand-picked by the original author, with access to all of his notes and extensive conversations about how it should end/motivations of characters/things that had to be tied up etc. is still around as well. If it does well enough, maybe we'll get the Mat/Tuon going back to Seanchan thing Jordan said he would have liked to do.

Finishing up the story is one thing, writing new ones is another. Other authors have had folks do that to varying levels of success (I remember Gregory Benford, Greg Bear and David Brin did it for Asimov's Foundation, if I haven't gotten my series mixed up) but I don't think it's something Sanderson wants to do.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just can't believe people are still listening to GRRM in any way.

He's not writing anything. He doesn't give a poo poo, if he did this situation never would have happened. He just can't say that publicly.

If anything his balls are filled to capacity as he's waiting for Cons to open up again.

e: oh poo poo wrong thread lol

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 3, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i wouldn't count on anything further in the setting of wheel of time coming out, i think that's very much one of those situations where they wouldn't even want sanderson trying to make something up whole-cloth

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

How are u posted:

Their hype machine so far has been garbage.

They're likely limited to what they can release in terms of stills, videos, and trailers. Makes sense the hype machine is bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean who knows, we're talking five to ten years to get through as much of the story as they can if it doesn't get cancelled? I would refuse to try to predict how popular it'll be and what they'll want to do with it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i wouldn't count on anything further in the setting of wheel of time coming out, i think that's very much one of those situations where they wouldn't even want sanderson trying to make something up whole-cloth

Not sure who you mean by "they" - the fans, or Robert's wife... But either way, Sanderson actually posted a video, "Will I ever write more WoT?" (and also how he was even selected for it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITTIur3Ytk&t=905s

I time stamped it, but TL:DW - he won't write more, but says it's possible other authors could write more. He also had some feedback to the TV scripts apparently.

(ohh and shots fired at GRRM around ~11:40)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It was already renewed for a second season so that's at least a hopeful sign that they have studio support, I just hope it isn't a bad adaptation and if so I hope it finds an audience since it would be cool to see the thing get started and tell a complete story and not sputter out a third of the way through.

e: I'm apparently very hopeful atm

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I asked it the last time someone commented that -- how many shoes ever get cancelled after only 1 season anymore?

No one wants another Firefly on their hands, so I imagine publishers nearly always give it 2 seasons nowadays to at least "bury the show" if the first one isn't received well :shrug:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Drops of Jupiter or whatever just got canned after 1, same with lovecraft country

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Armauk posted:

They're likely limited to what they can release in terms of stills, videos, and trailers. Makes sense the hype machine is bad.

Why? They finished principal photography a while ago, didn't they? Seems like they could start releasing something. Anything. Stills of characters in costume, at the very least.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

Why? They finished principal photography a while ago, didn't they? Seems like they could start releasing something. Anything. Stills of characters in costume, at the very least.

They've done these officially:

1) various actors not in costume
2) table read pics
3) various emond's field pics
4) moiraine
5) lan
6) sword
7) dagger
8) guitar
9) shadar logoth
10) tinker wagons

Really, forget stills and teasers, they need some kind of actual trailer at this point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They've done these officially:

1) various actors not in costume
2) table read pics
3) various emond's field pics
4) moiraine
5) lan
6) sword
7) dagger
8) guitar
9) shadar logoth
10) tinker wagons

Really, forget stills and teasers, they need some kind of actual trailer at this point.

Oh I somehow missed the Moiraine and Lan teasers. That's kind of cool, if insanely short.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

thrawn527 posted:

Two words: Studio bureaucracy

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sab669 posted:

A lot of that... doesn't make sense to me? I seem to recall GRRM basically asking D&D who they thought was Jon's mother is, and they must have had a good answer for GRRM to give them the rights to make the show. He's said he's been approached in the past where people wanted to cut things, focus on a smaller set of characters or didn't seem to know enough so he never brought ASOIAF to the screen sooner.

IIRC they did a bunch of looking around the most prominent fan sites at the time (i.e Reddit) and got the "R+L=J" insight from various discussions happening there. People had already out the pieces together on that particular theory by ~2005/2006, so you didn't even have to be a mega fan to come across it if you knew where to look.

Honestly if GRRM was internet savvy at all he would've known that and maybe asked some more pertinent questions. It doesn't even make sense given his experience working in TV but he made his money so whatever.

Sab669 posted:

I asked it the last time someone commented that -- how many shoes ever get cancelled after only 1 season anymore?

No one wants another Firefly on their hands, so I imagine publishers nearly always give it 2 seasons nowadays to at least "bury the show" if the first one isn't received well :shrug:

It seems like shows get cancelled after one season all the time now. Even shows with a lot of buzz like Lovecraft Country don't get second seasons now. I can't speak to the calculus behind those decisions but the plethora of content available now probably has something to do with it. Before there was less competition and a higher chance that a good to decent show could find enough of a niche audience to justify the budget for a few years (for example, Farscape or Firefly). Now if something isn't an amazing breakout critically acclaimed crossover hit it would be lucky to even get a second season

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder how lucrative book adaptations are for Amazon. Even if show isn't a breakout, is it worth it to them to keep it going off the back of the novel sales it boosts? I assume that's part of the calculation that lead to them picking up The Expanse or greenlighting the Tom Clancy movies and shows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder how lucrative book adaptations are for Amazon. Even if show isn't a breakout, is it worth it to them to keep it going off the back of the novel sales it boosts? I assume that's part of the calculation that lead to them picking up The Expanse or greenlighting the Tom Clancy movies and shows.

I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if an increase in sales of GoT books was part of the calculus for greenlighting a WoT series. I can't imagine it's that much of an increase, compared to the budget of the show.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I can't speak for Amazon, but I know Netflix has said that they make more money by creating a show, airing two seasons, then canceling it. Apparently they get a lot of money from people signing up to watch it, and a good chunk of those people don't unsubscribe after it's cancelled. I'm hoping WoT becomes enough of a thing that Amazon keeps it going, but the cynical part of me keeps remembering Netflix and GoT. I think a decent chunk of people are going to be a little gun-shy about a sprawling fantasy epic after that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On the other hand, I could see people eager for a good series with a good ending :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely think that them aiming for this being their own game of thrones means that they probably won't be quick to can it. if it was some other, way less known fantasy series then it'd probably be inherently doomed to some extent but this one feels like they're going to try and get in on that prestige tv poo poo that game of thrones proved there's a market for. there's only so many heavy hitters to pick from in the genre that have decent name recognition, or even enough to draw in enough people that they split off to make their own convention after having an entire track dedicated to them at dragoncon for years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like if they were expecting that they would be blasting the airwaves with everything they could to get hype going. There’s basically been nothing so far and it’s coming out soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Amazon makes weird as poo poo decisions, they cancelled the Tick.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

That was interesting, especially the insight into what RJ had written for the last book(s). I always thought he had written more, like a large part of the Last Battle. It would be cool to see at some point the notes he wrote and dictated in his final days to see how closely Brandon adhered to what was envisioned.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Soysaucebeast posted:

I can't speak for Amazon, but I know Netflix has said that they make more money by creating a show, airing two seasons, then canceling it. Apparently they get a lot of money from people signing up to watch it, and a good chunk of those people don't unsubscribe after it's cancelled. I'm hoping WoT becomes enough of a thing that Amazon keeps it going, but the cynical part of me keeps remembering Netflix and GoT. I think a decent chunk of people are going to be a little gun-shy about a sprawling fantasy epic after that.

Amazon has gotta have a different business philosophy in regards to their content though, I'd think. I have to imagine a large proportion of their viewers are people, like me, who just happened to have Prime for other reasons and so started watching stuff on it. But then from that perspective I have no idea who is signing up for Prime just for a show or two. No one I've talked to has ever done so even when I enthusiastically recommended something, like Marvelous Mrs Maisel which is fantastic. I guess it is the cheapest of the major streaming services? At least if you have a student discount. Hell at 40CAD a year with a student discount the $5 a month twitch subscription that comes with it pays for itself 50% over.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Amazon makes weird as poo poo decisions, they cancelled the Tick.

That's the number one show I really wanted to see, but didn't watch!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, Amazon is unique among the streaming services for tying their video subscription service to their main business. Disney has long used their media properties to increase the usage of their real money makers, the theme parks, but even then it's an indirect connection. Subscribing to Disney+ doesn't get you a free DisneyWorld pass or anything. But Amazon Prime has a weirdly symbiotic relationship to its video streaming component. How many people are like Spek and got Amazon Prime for the free shipping and just shrugged and started watching things there, since they might as well, right? How many went the other way, signed up to watch a certain show, maybe Bosch or Jack Ryan and then started ordering more things from Amazon, since hey, free shipping eh?

So how's that relationship going to affect Wheel of Time? Impossible to say for sure, but we should note that Amazon does seem to have a habit of keeping shows on for many seasons...if they're doing well. Jack Ryan is filming it's third season now (after taking 2020 off because you know, 2020) and Bosch is finally calling it quits after seven seasons. I don't know if any Netflix show, even the really popular ones, ever went seven seasons. House of Cards only went six, The Crown is wrapping up after five.

So yeah, if WoT was airing on Netflix I'd assume they were doomed from the outset. But on Amazon? They may have a shot...if they find an audience and bring in big enough numbers.

The real wildcard in the deck, though, is the simultaneous existence of the Lord of the Rings show, also on Amazon. I'm worried that Amazon is putting both shows out there but only plans to support the one that proves to be the more successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpbvtSQvgWM&t=49s

I don't know if WoT can not only bring in the numbers to survive, but also to exceed the LotR show as well. That's going to be the real test, I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suspect House of Cards only stopped at 6 because, well, Kevin Spacey. But I hadn't watched the last few seasons so maybe it was legitimately just going down hill :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sab669 posted:

I suspect House of Cards only stopped at 6 because, well, Kevin Spacey. But I hadn't watched the last few seasons so maybe it was legitimately just going down hill :v:

They did all of season six without Spacey. You gotta figure they'd have just pulled the plug after five if it was only about Spacey, ya know?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From facebook looks like theres alot of ppl excited by the WoT TV show. I think its gonna get alot of eyeballs

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There's some overlap but it looks like LOTR and WOT adaptations are going after different audiences. WOT is the "appeal to everybody because magic and dragons and whatever" show and LOTR is the "deep lore dive so slightly nerdier but still accessible because you've heard of it" show. I could have those backwards though, I don't exactly have a strong sense of where LOTR interest is broadly among core audiences right now and WOT is always talked about as popular fantasy series but it's rare to hear anyone talk about it the way they talk about GOT or Harry Potter or even Sanderson's stuff.

The real question as to show longevity is which one Bezos likes more.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like it might be the reverse because LotR at this point is a movie meme playground and WoT is the province of nerds with hipster glasses on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's some overlap but it looks like LOTR and WOT adaptations are going after different audiences. WOT is the "appeal to everybody because magic and dragons and whatever" show and LOTR is the "deep lore dive so slightly nerdier but still accessible because you've heard of it" show. I could have those backwards though, I don't exactly have a strong sense of where LOTR interest is broadly among core audiences right now and WOT is always talked about as popular fantasy series but it's rare to hear anyone talk about it the way they talk about GOT or Harry Potter or even Sanderson's stuff.

The real question as to show longevity is which one Bezos likes more.

Also, about your specific post, remember there aren’t actual dragons in WoT. There’s even a part in The Great Hunt (I think) where they’re looking at the banner of the Dragon and trying to figure out what kind of creature is on it, because they have no idea.

LOTR, on the other hand…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not only that but they aren’t even described in stories or anything. We earth humans know what a dragon is supposed to be from drawings and stories. So it’s literally just for the reader. The dragon symbol might as well be gibberish to anyone looking at it.